Put the Franchise Tag on Tyrod Taylor - Beane's Poker Face

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

The purpose of the tag is to allow teams to retain prospective free agents longer than their contracts stipulate. It typically is used on one of the team’s best free-agents-to-be, in situations where a team wants to prolong their control of a player, or hold on to someone they feel they may not be able to keep otherwise. It’s not a player-friendly rule, generally, as it prevents them from hitting the open market. A player has little control over whether or not he is tagged.

If we don't pick up Tyrod's option, then he becomes a free agent. So he clearly falls within the parameters of a "free agent to be". Once again, you need to play with the wording of the NFL Rules and push the envelope or the box.

Jesus no it doesnt. He is UNDER Contract. 

So you want tk tag him for 2019 a full year early. Ummm not allowed. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Jesus no it doesnt. He is UNDER Contract. 

So you want tk tag him for 2019 a full year early. Ummm not allowed. 

So if we don't pick up his option he is some how still allowed to play under center in 2019? No friggin way.

That's the whole point of the terminology "free agent to be" and "potential free agent". He fits that criteria to a tee.

Don't be hatin' on me just because you didn't think of this loophole.

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

We all need to think outside the box when it comes to building this team. That means taking an unconventional approach to obvious team decisions and strategy when it comes to dealing with other teams...especially QB needy teams like Denver, Cleveland, Jets and Cardinals (not to mention Pittsburgh, Jax, New Orleans and even New England).

If Beane was to put the franchise tag on Tyrod this year, we would have suitors that would want to interview him. Not saying they will sign him without question, but with a limited pool of experienced QB's available, and Tyrod being a game manager type, chances are 75% that another team would sign Tyrod and we would reap the rewards.

What rewards you might ask?

A nonexclusive franchise tag involves the same salary offer as an exclusive franchise tag, only the player can negotiate with other teams. The player’s current team can match any offer sheet. If the old team declines to match the offer, it gets two first-round picks from the other team as compensation. This is the more commonly used franchise tag.

Did you bang your head on the half pipe?   

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

So if we don't pick up his option he is some how still allowed to play under center in 2019? No friggin way.

That's the whole point of the terminology "free agent to be" and "potential free agent". He fits that criteria to a tee.

Don't be hatin' on me just because you didn't think of this loophole.

NO it doesnt. He is UNDER contract for 2018. There is NO freaking loophole

Keep trying 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

NO it doesnt. He is UNDER contract for 2018. There is NO freaking loophole

Keep trying 

'm really trying here but my patience wears thin.

September 2018 and March 2019 are both in the future. Anything in the future is "to be" or "potential". 

The rule applies to "potential free agents" or "free agents to be"

Therefore, Tyrod is a "free agent to be".

This isn't neurosurgery.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

September 2018 and March 2019 are both in the future. Anything in the future is "to be" or "potential". 

This isn't neurosurgery.

League you starts March 2018

Tyrod Taylor is under contract for 2018 at the start of the new year. 

So he is not a pending UFA for the 2018 league year. Jesus you would think people would understand the UFA and TAG rules by now. 

Your right it isnt neurosurgery.

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Thank you. These guys don't see the big picture outside the box.

Two first round picks.

If any GM gave up two 1st rd picks for Taylor that would be grounds for instant straitjacket and funny farm admission. If Taylor cannot be traded for a 6th rd pick how many teams are going to pay him even close to 10 mil a year. 

15 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

This isn't neurosurgery.

Nope, sounds like rocket science to me.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

How do these threads get to multiple pages? 

(asks the guy helping i get to four) 

Think of it like this: some people like to do word search puzzles and others prefer the NYT Sunday Crossword. One makes you think and the other can be done while sitting on the john. The choice is yours.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

photo-thumb-14362.png

Noticeably absent from the list of QB's is Tyrod Taylor. He's still very much a college QB/rookie and should be given a shot to compete with the others.

Fergy,

I like your idea here best.

We should designate TT as a rookie and then move up in the draft with our 3-1st and 2-2nds and draft him 2nd Overall.

You got to agree that this is definitely "out-of-the-box"!

PS  This is my favorite TT thread of the month!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Why do people post ridiculous rhings without even knowing basic facts like Taylor is under contract already for next year?

OP's avatar should be L.I.P. not V.I.P.

You obviously dont get it, if he leaves, we get nothing, we have to get creative to try and get something in return!

• Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

photo-thumb-14362.png

Noticeably absent from the list of QB's is Tyrod Taylor. He's still very much a college QB/rookie and should be given a shot to compete with the others.

Fergy,

I like your idea here best.

We should designate TT as a rookie and then move up in the draft with our 3-1st and 2-2nds and draft him 2nd Overall.

You got to agree that this is definitely "out-of-the-box"!

PS  This is my favorite TT thread of the month!

This has a lot of potential, great ideas in there, this is more of the forward thinking we need 

7 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Why do people post ridiculous rhings without even knowing basic facts like Taylor is under contract already for next year?

OP's avatar should be L.I.P. not V.I.P.

The OP does this often and people continue to bite.  The problem is if anything good is posted it is lost.

7 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

You obviously dont get it, if he leaves, we get nothing, we have to get creative to try and get something in return!

You dont always get something in return. Sometimes you just cut bait

Just now, Bray Wyatt said:

This has a lot of potential, great ideas in there, this is more of the forward thinking we need 

Some guys get it. Some guys have the courage to look beyond the black and white words of the rulebook. I tend to look past the obvious (as you do). How else can we re-acquire the three first rounders we gave up for Sammy Watkins? Thanks Doug Whaley!! This, at least, puts us back in the race with two first rounders when another team signs TT from our franchise tag. 

2 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Some guys get it. Some guys have the courage to look beyond the black and white words of the rulebook. I tend to look past the obvious (as you do). How else can we re-acquire the three first rounders we gave up for Sammy Watkins? Thanks Doug Whaley!! This, at least, puts us back in the race with two first rounders when another team signs TT from our franchise tag. 

Beane does seem to try and clean up Whaleys messes which is good, lets hope he is forward thinking and pushes the rules to do so. The pundits would praise him like he was Belicheat if he was able to pull this off

4 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

"There are those who look at franchising TT and ask why....... you dream of things never thought of, and ask why not?"

The only thing that is almost as I'll conceived as this was a poster mentioning the Bengals are going to franchise McCarron to use him for a trade. 

17 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Well, he's not a free agent. And yea, you kind of have to abide by the rule book. Otherwise, why don't we just tear up Aaron Rodgers contract and offer him 40 mil a year now.

Or better yet, let's just go sign Darnold, or Rosen to a contract now for fair market value. That way we can have them and keep our picks. 

Imagine that, rosen/Darnold plus our two first round picks. Now that's forward thinking, best off season in years.

In your world, courage is synonymous with stupidity and ignorance.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

15 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Beane does seem to try and clean up Whaleys messes which is good, lets hope he is forward thinking and pushes the rules to do so. The pundits would praise him like he was Belicheat if he was able to pull this off

A lot of us knew Whaley was crap at the time, but now that we can all see just how much heavy lifting Beane has had to do in order to clean up Whaley's mess, I realize just how inept the guy was.

Funny thing is many here were big Whaley supporters throughout his tenure.

:lol:

39 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Doing things like committing to him beyond one year, or not benching him for a guy who throws five picks help value.

Continually being non committal destroys it, in addition to his play.

Franchising him, even if it was possible doesn't build value at all. Increasing his cap hit would increase trade value, how? Even if you could.

13 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

A lot of us knew Whaley was crap at the time, but now that we can all see just how much heavy lifting Beane has had to do in order to clean up Whaley's mess, I realize just how inept the guy was.

Funny thing is many here were big Whaley supporters throughout his tenure.

:lol:

What has beane done? It's easy to just take the negative side of the bills and stick with it like you're right. 

47 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Pretty sure Watkins cost 5 first rounders.

51 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Doing things like committing to him beyond one year, or not benching him for a guy who throws five picks help value.

Continually being non committal destroys it, in addition to his play.

Franchising him, even if it was possible doesn't build value at all. Increasing his cap hit would increase trade value, how? Even if you could.

What has beane done? It's easy to just take the negative side of the bills and stick with it like you're right. 

Have a look at how he has been gradually restructuring the roster so as to eliminate or at least moderate the damage caused by a lot of bad Whaley Ks.

Pay attention.