Josh McDaniels Withdraws from Colts' HC Job

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

What the agent meant was josh McDaniels was making the biggest mistake of his agents life. 

Well he represents Reich as well so the interview is forthcoming. He also represents Frazier which is why he probably fed that to Rapaport last night to tweet him out as an option. Plus the articles coming out about how he never signed anything and just couldn’t move his family etc. He’s trying to recoup his image right now that the Colts are still ok and McDaniels did what he had to do. 

Imo he will not succeed as an NFL head coach.  I dont believe he has the people skills to build a winning team.  Say what you wish about Bill but he built a legacy so he can do things a certain way.  I think Bill is actually a genuine guy.  He sticks to his word and players know where they stand with him.  Im curious to see if Bill was the one who approached Josh or if it was Kraft?  If Kraft was the one to offer him the job in waiting that is another situation where Bill's authority will be undermined.  The whole sit down that is looming with Kraft, Bill, and Brady adds the leverage to Kraft who is going to side with Brady.  By having his disciples leave for jobs Bill would have entered that meeting with at least his services being the leverage.  Josh is going to be a large factor in that meeting.  I would not be surprised if in the coming weeks Bill retires.  In a year or two resurfaces and is coaching for a different organization.  

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's really about the assistants IMO.   He apparently got guys to uproot their families, move to Indianapolis, and start sweating, on their trust in his word that he was taking the gig.

It's fair enough for McD to be leary of Irsay, but then keep his talks with assistants on the "if I do this...are you interested?" level, don't be definite to your men when you're still a waffle between the ears.  That's not a leader.

I agree.. just a very weird thing IMO. The pats had already stated who they were going to name new OC and DC.  So I wonder if they were caught by surprise too. (Yes they had tried but probably thought it had failed by the time he changed his mind.) 

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Spoken like a Pats Fan.   Collusion, tampering, cowardice? 

Wow! Tampering? How again it was their employee. Collusion? In what? Really colluding to do what? Keep himas an OC? That's not collusion it's business. 

Cowardice .. I think your just throwing crap against the wall see anything sticks.

19 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Wow! Tampering? How again it was their employee. Collusion? In what? Really colluding to do what? Keep himas an OC? That's not collusion it's business. 

One has to wonder how the Rooney Rule will play out after the Pats* name McDaniels* HC once Belicheck* leaves.

Oh, wait. It's NE*. I'm sure Goodell will overlook it for his buddy.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, PirateHookerMD said:

What a scumbag. Hope he gets blackballed. Poor colts left without a dance partner and embarrassed 2nd choice coaching hire. 

I hear ya, but I don't feel bad for Irsay. 

52 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

whats laughable is Josh McDaniels giving 3 guys his word he was going to be the coach, them changing their entire lives around, and him bagging. That's not really laughable, it's deplorable. 

And what if other guys never even looked at new gigs cause Joshy boy promised them gigs on his staff. Rappoport reported that as late as yesterday morning he was offering guys jobs on his staff. 

Despicable human being.

This!

15 hours ago, napmaster said:

Yes, he is a scumbag.  It was a scumbag move when BB did it to the Jets too.  Birds of a feather flock together.

Yes, cheated on many occasions.  That franchise will always be tainted.

Stop feeding the troll!!! Just ignore!!!

Look, Patriots fans are happy, as they should be, because they get to keep their OC.  I absolutely get it.

However, and I know some of you Pats fans are in here (and honestly most of you guys really aren't offensive and do keep to the rules of the Board, which is appreciated), but nationally as a group it is funny how tone-deaf some of you are to HOW DOUCHEY this move is or looks.

It's not jealousy because you guys win a whole lot (and you guys win a TON), and I have admitted previously, in my opinion, that Tom Brady is the greatest QB of all time.  

It's really just that you guys translate the above into unwarranted entitlement and as beneficiaries of a "free pass" for douchey-ness.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

This guy is so overrated anyway.

I can’t wait until he is HC for the Pats.  It will be fun to flip the script and start sweeping them every year.

Just listened to the first 20 minutes or so of EEI this morning. The one guy was “ that’s it, end of the dynasty “ and went on to kill McDaniels and his record, as well as his ethics. Maybe this is a great thing for the Bills 

• Like (+1) 1

This will prompt another rule change by the league.  The only reason this happened is that McDaniels couldn't formally sign while Pats* were still in the playoffs.  That rule already puts teams waiting on these assistants in the waiting penalty box.  Now that Kraft pulled another shady move on another franchise, I expect the other owners to address this.

Kraft better believe that karma doesn't exist

58 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Cowardice .. I think your just throwing crap against the wall see anything sticks.

Why not.  Irrational Pats fans do it all the time. 

Bellyache and Krafty had a 4 hour meeting with McNumbnuts to "convince him to stay". 

How much more $ did they offer him? 

Did they guarantee him the HC job?

Did they do this to screw over the Colts? 

He burned more bridges than he knows by backing out.   He made his manager look like an asshat. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Well he represents Reich as well so the interview is forthcoming. He also represents Frazier which is why he probably fed that to Rapaport last night to tweet him out as an option. Plus the articles coming out about how he never signed anything and just couldn’t move his family etc. He’s trying to recoup his image right now that the Colts are still ok and McDaniels did what he had to do. 

I know. It’s the job, and the pay I’m sure is good. Gotta suck to take the heat for someone else’s waffling. 

Colts will I’ll be better for it in the end I believe. I’m not convinced JMcD is anything more than a solid apprentice if under a great coach. 

Polin on Golic and Wingo stated that "heir apparent" and succession plans are exempt from the Rooney Rule.  McDaniels looks like a douche that everyone expects him to be.  But if Kraft adds more money and the next coach title how car you say no?  Idk how Bill would feel about this.  Yes, Parcells did this for him and maybe he is paying it forward.  Will he be ok with giving Josh more control over the team and groom him as his successor?  From my perspective seems like Kraft is doing for Brady what Kraft wouldn't do for Bill.  Oddly similar to the Garapalo situation, but with the head coach and not Q.   I think Bill is gone and they roll with Mcd and Brady til the end.  

51 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Look, Patriots fans are happy, as they should be, because they get to keep their OC.  I absolutely get it.

However, and I know some of you Pats fans are in here (and honestly most of entitlement and as beneficiaries of a "free pass" for douche

The fickle and ignorant Pat's** fans will get what they deserve. BB is a great coach who can transcend lack of talent. But McDaniels is no BB. He is nothing without Brady. I really hope he replaces BB because we will all love seeing his arrogant, self-centered and unprofessional a** get kicked by the Bills twice a year. 

1 hour ago, LABillzFan said:

One has to wonder how the Rooney Rule will play out after the Pats* name McDaniels* HC once Belicheck* leaves.

Oh, wait. It's NE*. I'm sure Goodell will overlook it for his buddy.

Wow do a LITTLE research. The Rooney rule does not apply if their is a succession plan in place it is only in search for a new hire.

also BB it is being reported is the reason he is staying he promised to mentor him more and groom him take over the Pats when he retires.. so he isn't going anywhere right now either. 

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Bellyache and Krafty had a 4 hour meeting with McNumbnuts to "convince him to stay". 

He burned more bridges than he knows by backing out.   He made his manager look like an asshat. 

He had not signed a contract, and since he was employed by the Pats still at he time (and per the contract he has with them like every other team has) he is not allowed to have another job while working for them.  So they can offer him anything they want to convince him to stay. 

I think screwing over the colts was just just a nice side effect. IMO BB told Kraft his end date for coaching then told him he wanted McDaniels to replace him when he retires... thus the meetings and per bleacher report he decided to stay when BB promised to show him the ins and out of running the Patriots.

16 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Calling to hire guys 10 minutes before you bolt and actually hiring guys that are now under contract isn't a scumbag move?  Geez dude.

You're talking to a pats fan. They probably like Lane Kiffin too

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, PirateHookerMD said:

What a scumbag. Hope he gets blackballed. Poor colts left without a dance partner and embarrassed 2nd choice coaching hire. 

Why?  He didn't have a final deal with them.  So he is a bad person because he wasn't sold on uprooting his family to a team with an awful roster?  Not to mention, BB days are likely coming to an end in NE, I have a hard time seeing him there after Brady leaves, I mean he had to confirm he was even coming back next year.  So I am sure there is a part of McDaniels that is seeing the possibility of keeping his family in NE and potentially rising to HC there, especially with Krafts commitment to him.  

I would 100 times over stay in NE with Brady and that offense than take the lowly Colts job, especially if I have a chance to be a HC for the organization all his success is tied too with great ownership and team management.  

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

He didn't burn any bridges...this is just fan fodder.  He didn't have a locked deal, nor could he, and no deal was announced.  Media ran with assumptions, and Colts probably made him an offer and looked like McDaniels was going to take it, but ultimately turned it down.  He was under NO obligation to go there, take the job etc.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Why?  He didn't have a final deal with them.  So he is a bad person because he wasn't sold on uprooting his family to a team with an awful roster?  Not to mention, BB days are likely coming to an end in NE, I have a hard time seeing him there after Brady leaves, I mean he had to confirm he was even coming back next year.  So I am sure there is a part of McDaniels that is seeing the possibility of keeping his family in NE and potentially rising to HC there, especially with Krafts commitment to him.  

I would 100 times over stay in NE with Brady and that offense than take the lowly Colts job, especially if I have a chance to be a HC for the organization all his success is tied too with great ownership and team management.  

He is a "bad person" because he told the Colts that he ACCEPTED a job that, if what you say is correct, he wasn't sold on and then proceeded to hire coaches, costing them their previous positions.  You don't want to leave New England?  Fine.  Don't mess with other people's careers, though.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, seregil42 said:

He is a "bad person" because he told the Colts that he ACCEPTED a job that, if what you say is correct, he wasn't sold on and then proceeded to hire coaches, costing them their previous positions.  You don't want to leave New England?  Fine.  Don't mess with other people's careers, though.

This x100.

If you aren't sold on uprooting your family, don't let the other party believe you've agreed to terms and start recruiting staff.  Wait until you're sold.  And then when you are sold, be a man of your word.  

That aspect really should not be this hard to understand.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He didn't burn any bridges...this is just fan fodder.  He didn't have a locked deal, nor could he, and no deal was announced.  Media ran with assumptions, and Colts probably made him an offer and looked like McDaniels was going to take it, but ultimately turned it down.  He was under NO obligation to go there, take the job etc.  

What world are you living in?  There is no "probably" about it, the Colts GM came out and said that they had agreed to terms.  No, he didn't sign the contract, so he's not contractually on the hook.  But if you think the other 30 NFL teams aren't taking notice of this, you're out of your mind.  Would you, as a coach or GM of any other team, want to look at this guy knowing his past in Denver and now what he just did to the Colts?

Edited by seregil42

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This x100.

If you aren't sold on uprooting your family, don't let the other party believe you've agreed to terms and start recruiting staff.  Wait until you're sold.  And then when you are sold, be a man of your word.  

Well said, HBF.

The thing is, too, the #McDanielsFacts on Twitter are all pretty funny, but also kind of accurate given the above.

Nothing wrong with flirting with the job.  Nothing wrong with using it to get a bump up in pay.

However, when they are having a presser to announce you as their coach and you are packing up your office to go be their coach only to back out is s****y.  

Doesn't mean he doesn't have the right to do it, but it is super s****y.

...and I just don't understand how some people don't get that.

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This x100.

I'm not gonna uproot my family but I'll hire guys and uproot them then back out.

Classy move.

• Like (+1) 1

i wonder if Belichick staying another year or 2 hinged on Kraft being able to give McDaniels what he wanted.  BB was fairly close to the vest until after the Superbowl, then told Kraft to keep his OC, and he will remain (and likely pass the steering wheel off for 2019 or 2020)... which is what caused the late push

20 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Wow do a LITTLE research. The Rooney rule does not apply if their is a succession plan in place it is only in search for a new hire.

also BB it is being reported is the reason he is staying he promised to mentor him more and groom him take over the Pats when he retires.. so he isn't going anywhere right now either. 

He had not signed a contract, and since he was employed by the Pats still at he time (and per the contract he has with them like every other team has) he is not allowed to have another job while working for them.  So they can offer him anything they want to convince him to stay. 

I think screwing over the colts was just just a nice side effect. IMO BB told Kraft his end date for coaching then told him he wanted McDaniels to replace him when he retires... thus the meetings and per bleacher report he decided to stay when BB promised to show him the ins and out of running the Patriots.

Bypassing the Rooney rule that way, you would be correct, so long as that language is written in the contract, probably part of the sweetening of his contract, mentioned earlier. Now what is convenient is this happens just right before he is to start HC for the colts, I mean could the Pats organization could have renegotiated his contract anytime, so why did they wait until the last minute?