Tyrod Taylor on goal line pass in Jacksonville

JoshBarnett

I know there is another thread about the salary and whether he wants to stay in Buffalo but lots more good stuff in Vic's interview with Tyrod today. That include Tyrod's first public comments about the Jacksonville game, what he sees in Daboll, etc. 

Applogies if this is elsewhere 

http://buffalonews.com/2018/02/02/taylor-wants-to-stay-with-bills-but-wont-take-another-pay-cut/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoshBarnett said:

I know there is another thread about the salary and whether he wants to stay in Buffalo but lots more good stuff in Vic's interview with Tyrod today. That include Tyrod's first public comments about the Jacksonville game, what he sees in Daboll, etc. 

http://buffalonews.com/2018/02/02/taylor-wants-to-stay-with-bills-but-wont-take-another-pay-cut/

I can't even read it

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Didn't mean to start the debate here again about the subscription model. We sent two reporters to the Super Bowl. One of them was the first Buffalo reporter to talk to Tyrod, which seemingly should be of interest to Bills fans. Inevitably someone who subscribes will post the text. This was just to flag that an extensive interview exists beyond Vic's one tweet that has gotten so much attention in the other thread. Apologies to those who are offended. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, JoshBarnett said:

Didn't mean to start the debate here again about the subscription model. We sent two reporters to the Super Bowl. One of them was the first Buffalo reporter to talk to Tyrod, which seemingly should be of interest to Bills fans. Inevitably someone who subscribes will post the text. This was just to flag that an extensive interview exists beyond Vic's one tweet that has gotten so much attention in the other thread. Apologies to those who are offended. 

My view is that you're abusing the privilege of posting here. If you want talk about the Bills, great, let's hear it.  

If you want advertise for you prodit-making venture, then buy an ad.  

Don't come here pretending you're part of this community of Bills fans.  You aren't.  

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

So in affect this thread that's started by an editor from TBN that links directly to a TBN article that's behind a paywall is nothing more than a shameless plug? Seems a tad desperate. You're better than this Josh.

One of the criticisms I have received on this board is that we are not offering exclusive content or material that you can't get elsewhere. Well, the point of this post was not desperation, but rather to rebut that notion and make people aware of information that we got because we sent reporters to the Super Bowl and other local outlets did not. We are investing in Bills coverage to a greater degree and still get criticized. 

18 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

My view is that you're abusing the privilege of posting here. If you want talk about the Bills, great, let's hear it.  

Don't come here pretending you're part of this community of Bills fans.  You aren't.  

Not pretending anything. I think I have shown over and over again that I am interested in interacting with fans to hear their opinion of our coverage and other issues. We have taken a number of suggestions and integrated it into what we do. This was an example of providing a link to information that we thought would be of interest to Bills fans. 

2 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Since you asked, he talked a bunch about the game, but here is some of what he said specifically about the play ... 

"If you wanted to run, then call a run," Taylor said. "When you get the option and you're given the opportunity of doing either one, and if it doesn't happen, then people say to (do the opposite). I'm not going to go back and forth as to what you should do in that situation. That day, against Jacksonville, we really didn't get a lot going in the running game, but you would expect Shady (McCoy) to get a yard there, but like I said, the called play was an option to do either or and we did one. It was just unsuccessful. We had an opportunity to (run), I had both hands on the ball. It was just an unfortunate situation that a PI was called."

• Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, JoshBarnett said:

Weird... You went AWOL during the Rod Watson piece if I'm not mistaken, and now you're here to offer this.

I won't support paying his salary. Buffalo News is linked here all the time, I can only speak for myself. I see the headlines, and choose not to click. I don't have any desire to pay for that content.

1 minute ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Weird... You went AWOL during the Rod Watson piece if I'm not mistaken, and now you're here to offer this.

I won't support paying his salary. Buffalo News is linked here all the time, I can only speak for myself. I see the headlines, and choose not to click. I don't have any desire to pay for that content.

That is actually false. I addressed the Watson piece in the long thread about it a number of times. I addressed the criticism of the Eric Wood column this week both here and with the original poster via PM. I've said a number of times that my job is to address readers when they like us or when they don't and I haven't wavered from that. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JoshBarnett said:

That is actually false. I addressed the Watson piece in the long thread about it a number of times. I addressed the criticism of the Eric Wood column this week both here and with the original poster via PM. I've said a number of times that my job is to address readers when they like us or when they don't and I haven't wavered from that. 

Ok I'm sorry if I missed that.

I was in the process of editing my post saying perhaps I missed it, and that it all doesn't fall on your shoulders. When I got the notification that you have already responded. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

Just now, Ol Dirty B said:

Ok I'm sorry if I missed that.

I was in the process of editing my post saying perhaps I missed it, and that it all doesn't fall on your shoulders. When I got the notification that you have already responded. 

No worries. Appreciate the edit ... 

2 hours ago, JoshBarnett said:

One of the criticisms I have received on this board is that we are not offering exclusive content or material that you can't get elsewhere. Well, the point of this post was not desperation, but rather to rebut that notion and make people aware of information that we got because we sent reporters to the Super Bowl and other local outlets did not. We are investing in Bills coverage to a greater degree and still get criticized. 

Not pretending anything. I think I have shown over and over again that I am interested in interacting with fans to hear their opinion of our coverage and other issues. We have taken a number of suggestions and integrated it into what we do. This was an example of providing a link to information that we thought would be of interest to Bills fans. 

Since you asked, he talked a bunch about the game, but here is some of what he said specifically about the play ... 

"If you wanted to run, then call a run," Taylor said. "When you get the option and you're given the opportunity of doing either one, and if it doesn't happen, then people say to (do the opposite). I'm not going to go back and forth as to what you should do in that situation. That day, against Jacksonville, we really didn't get a lot going in the running game, but you would expect Shady (McCoy) to get a yard there, but like I said, the called play was an option to do either or and we did one. It was just unsuccessful. We had an opportunity to (run), I had both hands on the ball. It was just an unfortunate situation that a PI was called."

He's saying, to anyone who knows anything about football, that it was a run/pass call depending on how the defense set up. All defenses would have basically done what Jax did against the Bills. Tyrod's read, depending on the setup of the defense was the pass to KB. It wasn't a choice of pass or run. If the D does A you pass, if the D does B you run. But every D was going to do A, which was load the box.

That's why he said if you want to run call a run. It wasnt really an option.

Tyrod was being Tyrod. He was saying it was a terrible call without throwing anyone specific under the bus.

Yeah, that's you, Dennison, on the unemployment line.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JoshBarnett said:

As usual, Tyrod handles himself very well in interviews. This is certainly no exception.

33 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He's saying, to anyone who knows anything about football, that it was a run/pass call depending on how the defense set up. All defenses would have basically done what Jax did against the Bills. Tyrod's read, depending on the setup of the defense was the pass to KB. It wasn't a choice of pass or run. If the D does A you pass, if the D does B you run. But every D was going to do A, which was load the box.

Tyrod was being Tyrod. He was saying it was a terrible call without throwing anyone specific under the bus.

That's more your opinion than anything he actually said.

The next week Philly runs a run-pass option from inside the five and converts it and they're brilliant. It wasn't the call. It was the execution.

Nobody would expect OPI. You'd think the worst result would probably be 2nd down at the same LOS.

If they'd called a run, it might have ended up a six yard loss or a fumble. I probably would have called a run there, but I don't think it was an awful call. And Tyrod doesn't appear to think so either. 

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 3

It was a terrible call! That drive was over 5 minutes up to that point and Buffalo was running the ball very well  regardless of what the Jax D was doing. YOU RUN THE BALL!!

Jax D was on fumes and deflated from an offside penalty that cost them.  1st and GOAL. Running well all drive. I don't care if 10 are in the box, RUN THE BALL!

Who do you blame? Tyrod or Dennison it was a terrible call and cost us the game potentially.

Edited by billsbackto81

9 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Bupkis.   Anybody but SaviorPeterman and Dunkirk Don are welcome here.    

9 hours ago, JoshBarnett said:

Hahaha so Tyrod admitted he expected Shady to be able to get the one yard for the TD, but because it was HIS option, he throws it anyway- with a pass he doesn’t normally throw well, to begin with?!? What an idiot...this guy’s QB IQ is lower than Preston Brown’s. :lol:

7 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

well, actually yeah it was a choice of pass or run and there is nothing wrong with Dennisons call or Tyrod's decision-making here.   Kelvin is a red zone monster and Tyrod is going to keep that ball up and away where it's either a TD or incomplete. 

There are two cardinal rules of football offensively when you have short yardage goal to go: Oline must not jump, and NO stupid offensive PI.  

Kelvin blew it with a blatant push off that even Gronk would have been flagged for.

Cost us dearly.

Not Rico or TT's fault.   

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

It was a terrible call! That drive was over 5 minutes up to that point and Buffalo was running the ball very well  regardless of what the Jax D was doing. YOU RUN THE BALL!!

Jax D was on fumes and deflated from an offside penalty that cost them.  1st and GOAL. Running well all drive. I don't care if 10 are in the box, RUN THE BALL!

Who do you blame? Tyrod or Dennison it was a terrible call and cost us the game potentially.

Well, when you’ve got Dumb and Dumber (Dennison and Tyrod) running your offense, this is what you get.

• Like (+1) 1

That's just nonsense and someone has to call you on it.   This forum is intended for discussion of the Buffalo Bills, not for discussion about the coverage of the Buffalo News.   You have a Contact Us section on your website if anyone wants to talk to you about your coverage, and I suppose your articles include the email address of the authors.    You could start your own forum to discuss issues about your publication. 

Your post starting this thread isn't about discussing your coverage.  It's a blatant attempt to move people away from this page to read your material, for a price.   

I'm perfectly fine with you trying to sell your product.   It's called advertising.  Pay for it.  Don't come here trying to convince us that you're here to discuss the Buffalo Bills.     

4 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Hahaha so Tyrod admitted he expected Shady to be able to get the one yard for the TD, but because it was HIS option, he throws it anyway- with a pass he doesn’t normally throw well, to begin with?!? What an idiot...this guy’s QB IQ is lower than Preston Brown’s. :lol:

Wrong.   Tyrod is given a play to run.   His job is to look at the defense, see what they're giving him, and decide which way to go.   His job is NOT to analyze the situation and conclude that in this situation the Bills should run, regardless of the defensive alignment.    He did his job.   Benjamin didn't do his.  

Don't like the call?   Blame Dennison.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That's just nonsense and someone has to call you on it.   This forum is intended for discussion of the Buffalo Bills, not for discussion about the coverage of the Buffalo News.   You have a Contact Us section on your website if anyone wants to talk to you about your coverage, and I suppose your articles include the email address of the authors.    You could start your own forum to discuss issues about your publication. 

Your post starting this thread isn't about discussing your coverage.  It's a blatant attempt to move people away from this page to read your material, for a price.   

I'm perfectly fine with you trying to sell your product.   It's called advertising.  Pay for it.  Don't come here trying to convince us that you're here to discuss the Buffalo Bills.     

Wrong.   Tyrod is given a play to run.   His job is to look at the defense, see what they're giving him, and decide which way to go.   His job is NOT to analyze the situation and conclude that in this situation the Bills should run, regardless of the defensive alignment.    He did his job.   Benjamin didn't do his.  

Don't like the call?   Blame Dennison.  

Ok I’ll buy that...but I wouldn’t say KB didn’t do his job, as the ball sailed over his head.

9 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

This.       He’s the worst.  

Cries about the media when he plays bad 

Cries about race when he plays bad 

One day he will grow up.    

• Like (+1) 1

I will just back that up.  Josh was very responsive both in the Wood thread and PM and I appreciated that.

I also mentioned to him by PM the general etiquette here for posting paywalled content or sites one cant link (eg BR)

which I'll repeat for the newbies here as draft season is almost on us and the issue will come up again and again:

indicate somehow that it's content one must subscribe to read (eg SI premium, ESPN premium, etc)

provide a few sentences of summary

include a short quote (2-3 sentences)

That way the post provides information, there's a starting point for discussion, and people don't get aggravated clicking on a link they can't read.

4 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Ok I’ll buy that...but I wouldn’t say KB didn’t do his job, as the ball sailed over his head.

It was a high degree of difficulty catch, but when I watch other teams, I see receivers hauling in just those sorts of throws - Diggs/Vikes etc

I have seen Benjamin haul in what looked like similar off target throws from Newton, in fact Newton was notorious for throwing over Benjamin's head and he got there anyway.

It may be that with the knee problem, Benjamin no longer has the vertical leap or at least did not have it in that game.

• Like (+1) 1

Yep.  People forget that it was 1-1 from the 1, and if the PI had not been called, the Bills had 2 or 3 more chances to punch it in from the 1.

Don't get the offsides, don't get the PI in that situation - bzzzzzzt

Not to mention all the plays and playcalls the rest of the game.

Darell Bevell has never wavered from defending his Superbowl pass call that resulted in NE Int, and interestingly, I read a piece where they interviewed 32 coaches and while some critiqued the specific pass call, NONE of them said they would have run against the defensive alignment NE was in (they had Beastmode.  Run it).

11 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

anyone who links to a paywall should be banned

Hard to do when owner of the site SDS supports the paywall.

Except he gets paid by Bills and goes to work for Jest.  Not much of an unemployment line.

28 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Well, when you’ve got Dumb and Dumber (Dennison and Tyrod) running your offense, this is what you get.

So cited by Dumbo.

I don't see what was wrong with the call. The qb went to the line with options depending how the Jaguars would line up. Based on the read the qb decided to throw a pass. There was nothing wrong in making basically a jump ball pass to KB whose forte was beating the defender in those types of high/ for grab throws. I'm not criticizing Taylor for the throw. The killer mistake was not the play but the blatant push off by the receiver. That was the glaring mistake that dramatically altered the situation. 

I'm not a harsh critic of Dennison nor am I a supporter of him. If you want to find things to criticize him over his play calling there are plenty of selections to choose from. On this particular play I don't see why he should warrant any criticism. 

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't see what was wrong with the call. The qb went to the line with options depending how the Jaguars would line up. Based on the read the qb decided to throw a pass. There was nothing wrong in making basically a jump ball pass to KB whose forte was beating the defender in those types of high/ for grab throws. I'm not criticizing Taylor for the throw. The killer mistake was not the play but the blatant push off by the receiver. That was the glaring mistake that dramatically altered the situation. 

I'm not a harsh critic of Dennison nor am I a supporter of him. If you want to find things to criticize him over his play calling there are plenty of selections to choose from. On this particular play I don't see why he should warrant any criticism. 

Agree completely it was on the WR not OC or QB in this case.

32 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

KB got the offensive interference call.   If he hadn't committed the penalty, the Bills would still have been on the one yard line. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

this x 10

12 hours ago, JoshBarnett said:

why would anyone pay to read that garbage?

yes, it was posted elsewhere. search before you post!

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/201634-tyrod-wants-to-stay-with-the-bills-but-wont-take-another-pay-cut/