Cousins vs. Trade Up

Cousins vs. trade up  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Sign Cousins or trade into the top 5?

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The other option I’m ok with other than trading up for darnold, Rosen or Mayfield is staying at 21 and taking Lamar Jackson. 

Definitely no trading up and screw Bradford, Cousins, Smith, et. al.  They need to identify their guy and draft where we are or trade back.   I would be on board with Lamar Jackson in addition to a few others.  20's may be a bit high for Jackson, but they will know once it comes. He definitely has some undeniable skills.

I ran into this breakdown a while back.  Pretty good read.

i voted other. i don't think cousins will be here. so...after the pats win the sb, i'm gonna trade no. 22 for nick foles.

then draft vita vea at 21. maximize the draft and grab qb a little later. (mike white?)

but...if cousins goes to denver and somehow darnold, 1.(cle.)  rosen 2. (giants)and allen 3.-to the jets with the thought that they like allen's potential and can keep mc cown as a bridge. i think bradford is a good possibiliy to az. in fa, so maybe mayfield slides. i just hate the thought of giving up all our picks.

13 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

OTHER, Stand pat and take a ILB and DT in the 1st round round and select Mason Rudolph or Mike White with a 2nd round pick. Willing to trade up in the second round to do that.

i give this a high percentage of happening.

Edited by billsredneck1

It comes down to whether you think one of these kids coming out is the guy.  And history tells us there's a 50:50 shot at best.  I don't see any of them being all that and a bag of chips.  So give me Cousins, and I build around him, in part by using all the picks I have this draft.

33 minutes ago, simool said:

Definitely no trading up and screw Bradford, Cousins, Smith, et. al.  They need to identify their guy and draft where we are or trade back.   I would be on board with Lamar Jackson in addition to a few others.  20's may be a bit high for Jackson, but they will know once it comes. He definitely has some undeniable skills.

I ran into this breakdown a while back.  Pretty good read.

I love Lamar Jackson as a prospect - just think he is less ready to play right away than the other 3. I could be wrong.

4 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

I think it would be a huge mistake to not explore the FA market for a QB before the draft. Remember, you can't go back!

They have to sign someone unless they keep Taylor. They aren’t going to go into the season with Peterman and a rookie.

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

It comes down to whether you think one of these kids coming out is the guy.  And history tells us there's a 50:50 shot at best.  I don't see any of them being all that and a bag of chips.  So give me Cousins, and I build around him, in part by using all the picks I have this draft.

Drafting a guy comes with 5 years of control - and he can't sign elsewhere.  Cousins is a bidding war - you're bidding money as well as your city and organization.  Why are we a better destination than anywhere else?

Just now, dneveu said:

Drafting a guy comes with 5 years of control - and he can't sign elsewhere.  Cousins is a bidding war - you're bidding money as well as your city and organization.  Why are we a better destination than anywhere else?

Just now, dneveu said:

I have posted this several times in different threads, but go read the recent si article on Cousins.  He is all about process.  As much as McD if not more so.  It would be a great match of HC and QB.  Plus if you look at the other options, we are the only playoff team in the market for a QB, unless Jacksonville decides to move on from Bortles.  And Cousins has said his main goal is a winning franchise.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

They have to sign someone unless they keep Taylor. They aren’t going to go into the season with Peterman and a rookie.

Likely, I'm not sure they don't bring Tyrod back though. There are some who think all we need is Peterman!

I just don't like the all in on trade up for a QB strategy. Extremely risky! Must explore all options.

This really isn't easy. I'm all for KC but not if Denvelway is going to over pay him. 

I think he could be very good in Buffalo and I think he would make the Bills a contender but he's not elite and shouldn't be paid like elite. He's needs to be paid accordingly. 

If the cost is too high then the Bills need a different plan at QB. I'd rather the Bills keep their draft picks and look at getting some DL, LB and OL help early in the draft. Then again it all depends on what they do in FA.

Trade up.

I got a question about cousins though if the bills were to sign him.

How tight would they be against the cap if they inked him to the expected 25 mil per year? (Or roughly that)

Because I know with Wood retiring and releasing TT, that would result in what, roughly 12 mil in dead money?

39 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

OTHER, Stand pat and take a ILB and DT in the 1st round round and select Mason Rudolph or Mike White with a 2nd round pick. Willing to trade up in the second round to do that.

I would be very happy with that plan as well. I think Rudolph and White have just as good of a chance to come franchise QBs as Rosen and Darnold. I really like Mayfield, but it scares me trading up into the top 5 for a short QB, I might be willing to trade up into the teens for him. 

Just now, billsfan11 said:

Trade up.

I got a question about cousins though if the bills were to sign him.

How tight would they be against the cap if they inked him to the expected 25 mil per year? (Or roughly that)

Because I know with Wood retiring and releasing TT, that would result in what, roughly 12 mil in dead money?

We can get to around 55M easily before sigining Cousins.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, wppete said:

I hope we do this. Spend the money we save on Cousins on the Defense. 

Or you can spend the money on Cousins and draft defence. There are a lot of good players in the draft. Free agent defensive players don't usually live up to their contracts, you are paying for past production. I would much rather get some young defensive players in the draft and spend money on a QB entering his prime. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Trade up.

Without question.

It will cost three 1st and three 2nd as a starting point to move up. You will be getting a turnover machine in Darnold, a short QB in Mayfield, or a QB in Rosen that does not have the persona of a franchise QB. I'm not saying those guys aren't good prospects but that plan is high risk. 

14 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I have posted this several times in different threads, but go read the recent si article on Cousins.  He is all about process.  As much as McD if not more so.  It would be a great match of HC and QB.  Plus if you look at the other options, we are the only playoff team in the market for a QB, unless Jacksonville decides to move on from Bortles.  And Cousins has said his main goal is a winning franchise.

Here's some insider information, he doesn't care what team went to the playoffs. He's after the MONEY

Edited by Starr Almighty

3 minutes ago, billspro said:

I would be very happy with that plan as well. I think Rudolph and White have just as good of a chance to come franchise QBs as Rosen and Darnold. I really like Mayfield, but it scares me trading up into the top 5 for a short QB, I might be willing to trade up into the teens for him. 

21. Maurice Hurst DT

22. Tremaine Edmunds OLB

53. Pat White QB

55. Mike McCray ILB

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billspro said:

Or you can spend the money on Cousins and draft defence. There are a lot of good players in the draft. Free agent defensive players don't usually live up to their contracts, you are paying for past production. I would much rather get some young defensive players in the draft and spend money on a QB entering his prime. 

And not every draft pick pans out... it cuts both ways.

Kirk Cousins needs, as proof in Washington, a good solid team around for him to succeed. That's not the Bills at this point. You would have to hope that the Bills absolutely smash the draft and that who they draft is able to be a day 1 starter. We know this isn't possible. And lets not forget Cousins would have to choose to come to Buffalo with other teams out there with better talent.

2 minutes ago, billspro said:

It will cost three 1st and three 2nd as a starting point to move up. You will be getting a turnover machine in Darnold, a short QB in Mayfield, or a QB in Rosen that does not have the persona of a franchise QB. I'm not saying those guys aren't good prospects but that plan is high risk. 

No it won't, you are exaggerating greatly. Drafting a QB every time is high risk. There have been a handful of can't miss QBs but at some point you need to draft one. 

Let me ask you this, Cousins signs with Buffalo, comes here and does exactly what he's done in Washington record wise. How far back does his contract set the Bills?

6 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

Here's some insider information, he doesn't care what team went to the playoffs. He's after the MONEY

He'll get money from whomever.  HE also wants to win.  Read the si article and see what he talks about.  If you look at teams in the market right now we are the team best poised to win.  All we need is a QB.

2 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

And not every draft pick pans out... it cuts both ways.

Kirk Cousins needs, as proof in Washington, a good solid team around for him to succeed. That's not the Bills at this point. You would have to hope that the Bills absolutely smash the draft and that who they draft is able to be a day 1 starter. We know this isn't possible. And lets not forget Cousins would have to choose to come to Buffalo with other teams out there with better talent.

No it won't, you are exaggerating greatly. Drafting a QB every time is high risk. There have been a handful of can't miss QBs but at some point you need to draft one. 

Let me ask you this, Cousins signs with Buffalo, comes here and does exactly what he's done in Washington record wise. How far back does his contract set the Bills?

When the Eagles traded up for Wentz is cost two firsts, a third, and a second. That was to go from eight. Maybe we could get it done with bother our firsts this year and a first and a second next year. I would be surprised though.  

I look at it as if we're playing poker.  If I'm holding a solid hand, I don't try to draw to a higher hand and sacrifice the hand I have.  So if (a perhaps big if) we can get Cousins, that's a solid hand.  Trying to draw to a higher hand by trading a bunch of picks for a kid that may or may not make it loses me chips in the long run.

It just comes down to how you feel about the guys in this draft.  Too many people here keep harping on how we haven't drafted a guy high and it's time to o so.  That's not the point.  It's drafting the right guy, not just drafting a guy.

If there was a Luck or a guy like that, I'd bee all in on trading as many picks as needed to move up.  But does anyone seriously think Darnold or Rosen or Allen are that guy?  I sure don't.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

He'll get money from whomever.  HE also wants to win.  Read the si article and see what he talks about.  If you look at teams in the market right now we are the team best poised to win.  All we need is a QB.

Say the Bills, Denver and whatever other teams you wanna throw in all offer his 30M/5 years and 90M Guaranteed. The Browns however offer him 35M/5 years 110M Guaranteed. Are you telling me you believe he's not 100% signing with the Browns?

Hint: He will no doubt about it. I wanna win is code for pony up

6 minutes ago, billspro said:

Imo it is no less risky than paying Cousins 125 mil.  He hasn't won but put up big numbers.  It is high possible that Cousin never lives up to contract like the majority of the high priced FA.

1 minute ago, Starr Almighty said:

Say the Bills, Denver and whatever other teams you wanna throw in all offer his 30M/5 years and 90M Guaranteed. The Browns however offer him 35M/5 years 110M Guaranteed. Are you telling me you believe he's not 100% signing with the Browns?

We will see what happens.  He'll get overpaid, as every QB in the league not named Brady or Rogers do.

21 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

Likely, I'm not sure they don't bring Tyrod back though. There are some who think all we need is Peterman!

I just don't like the all in on trade up for a QB strategy. Extremely risky! Must explore all options.

I would do what Eagles did. Trade up for a rookie and bring in a bridge vet backup in FA. Bradford or Keenum. I don’t think either one’s market will be that high. Neither is a sure-fire consistent starter for various reasons but can be a short term fix. 

2 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

Agreed.  Its typical Fa speak.  Mario Williams and Suh said the same thing when he entered FA.  Imo The only way he sign with us or Denver is if his market isnt as hot as he thought or all his offers around 25 mil a year.