Cousins vs. Trade Up

Cousins vs. trade up  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Sign Cousins or trade into the top 5?

I know that there are a bunch of threads similar but thought that a poll would help and organize it. 

In lieu of the Alex Smith contract it is realistic to think that Cousins is looking at 5 years, $150M and $90M guaranteed (those are the numbers speculated on Twitter). A trade up into the top 5 is going to cost you 21, 22 and either a player or pick. For the sake of this conversation let’s say it’s next year’s 2nd & you get next year’s 3rd from that team. The trade (as an example) would be pick 4 & the Browns 2019 3rd for picks 21,22 & the Bills 2019 2nd. 

Which route would you go or would you go in another direction? If it is another direction please lay out what the plan would be and be realistic. Please don’t say that you’d hope Darnold slid to 21 or you’d sign Bradford for $6M. 

TRade up into 3, and I think it takes 21,22, next years 1 and a 4th and we get a 6th this year from the Colts. I am not so worried who it is, but if they have identified one of these guys as being the guy, I trust em.

Alternatively, if they  think 2 of the top 6 guys will be there at 21 and 22..use both picks on QBs..i would have no issue with that. 

Cousins represents fools gold.  Not worth near what he will command and will strap the Bills flexibility for roster building for years to come.  For an Alex Smith level deal, yes, but he is not going to sign for that.  Go all in on a top rookie prospect now, and build from there.

• Like (+1) 1

Despite their quick “success”, I think mcBeane is into building this team for the long term, first and foremost. They do want to win now but not at the expense of building a team that can be a sustainable winner. Imo that means drafting their guy this year and building around him, and that’s why they obtained the extra picks this year. I do think they will move on from TT to free up cap and because I don’t think they believe he is the type of QB to effectively run the offense. They will sign a vet QB as a bridge or backup depending on how quickly the rookie can start. I anticipate Bradford or Keenum. 

It depends on multiple factors for me.

First I'll start by saying I want nothing to do with Cousins at the dollar amount long term he will get. No thanks.

From there it depends on many things.  One of the things working against the Bills is how many teams are looking for QBs this year. Many of them with higher draft picks than us. Even with 2 picks to use we would need to find someone who is willing to drop down much further than they would probably like to unless the QB we want drops out of the top 10 which is not likely.

So to move into the top 5 we would likely need to give a kings ransom. Will the QB we take there be worth it like Wentz was for Philly?  I'm not sure.

I could see it from either side...we built up a lot of draft capital to pull the trigger on a deal like this but is this year going to just cost too much in terms of assets to do so?  Woukd it make more sense to use the multitude of picks to fill in holes on the team and get younger, get a bridge guy in here for a year or two and then look to draft one the in the next year or two?

Its a tough call...I know we have been kicking the can down the line at QB for so long but will it really do us any good if we have to draft out 3rd or 4th choice, pay big to do it and then he ends up like Manuel or Losman?

I can see both sides of the argument and am a little torn as to what I want to see them do...a lot depends on the price they'd have to pay and who is available.

It might be possible to get a better deal by making two trades up the board than a single trade up the board...potentially getting to around pick 11 or 12 first and then going from 12 to 5...food for thought...

Edited by matter2003

6 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

No trade up. This team needs all of their picks. So many holes.

I'm leaning towards that as well but lets see what they have to do in free agency first...

It might be possible to get better value by making 2 trades up the board than one single trade...if you can get to 11 or 12 first you might find a team more willing to trade down with you that is comfortable with getting a player at 12 versus waiting for 2 picks at 21 and 22...

You also might be able to get better value...it will cost a lot less going up to 12 to 21 first than from 21 to 5...I'd be willing to bet they can get much better value by doing this if only because teams psychologically will be more willing to move down 5 or 6 picks versus 15...they will feel much more comfortable they can get one of their high ranked players on their board at that spot...

Edited by matter2003

5 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

No trade up. This team needs all of their picks. So many holes.

I agree it would be great to keep all the picks, but they will have ample cap space to shore up some positions in FA and I just can’t get past that they have to once and for all try to draft a franchise QB. I know they tried I the past but it’s a new regime and they need to pull the trigger. Similar to what the Eagles did in 2015 giving up a lot to trade up for Wentz.  The biggest holes on the Bills are 1) QB and 2) pass rusher. Fill those and the rest is gravy imo 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree it would be great to keep all the picks, but they will have ample cap space to shore up some positions in FA and I just can’t get past that they have to once and for all try to draft a franchise QB. I know they tried I the past but it’s a new regime and they need to pull the trigger. Similar to what the Eagles did in 2015 giving up a lot to trade up for Wentz.  The biggest holes on the Bills are 1) QB and 2) pass rusher. Fill those and the rest is gravy imo 

What would you think about potentially getting better value with 2 trades up the board versus a single big trade?

I think getting to 11 or 12 first and then going from 12 to 5 would give them a better deal where teams only have to stop down a few picks versus 15...

Edited by matter2003

5 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Trade up for Rosen or Darnold.

As an aside, it's idiotic that FA is (months) before the draft.  Teams try to build through the draft and use FA to patch holes, but they occur in inverse order.

I agree.  I think you'd have more bpa picks.  Teams reach for players bc they have holes they couldn't fill in free agency.  I just don't think it is possible to move up the combine and draft and delay free agency.  It worked well in the cba year when it was reversed though.

Edited by DallasMac