Eric Wood “retirement” press conference

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

ok, that last part was a joke---but really, what happened Friday?  The initial info about him retiring came out Thursday? 

Thursday night was the tweet, then all Friday was the wild goose chase. People just speculating and then Friday right after Howard and Simon went off air it was finally revealed who it was.

He then had to release a statement.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

4 minutes ago, eball said:

Irrelevant.  If they do something sneaky to avoid a big cap hit they'll need to have "evidence" that retirement wasn't the only option.

What are the options to retirement if he is not cleared to play due to an irreparable medical condition that precludes him from doing so?

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I hope our local journalists are on the case to find out what’s up! Anyone think he has decided to seek other opinions?

Do you think they’ll provide information that’s worth a couple bucks per month?

Will that paid for imformation be available for free elsewhere, or proprietary to BN? 

Do you think that subscribed for information will just be me paying for a regurgitation of a report somebody else reported a day or two earlier?

Sorry, the BN makes me mad. 

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think he found out that the team wants him to either forfeit the 2018 guaranteed salary or pay back the $4.3M in unamortized bonus, which they are entitled to do and would help with the cap hit for next year.

Wonder if they are looking to move this money to a "coaching" salary. I mean Pats can funnel guys for treatment to a facility TB12 owns 50% stake, why not that?

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

funny, I never listen to Murph..but are callers really this stupid all the time? One guy just suggested they keep him on the roster and just not dress him every week.

Yes. When Jeff Tuel was here for 2 + years 60 year old Frank from Cheektowaga or put in another name and area would call in and say he has watched football for a lot years and this Tuel kid is something special they really should give him a shot.

Won't lie I listened just to laugh.

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Fitz is on WGR now. He said they are all in town to get together tonight. Also he said the leak took away from the press conference 

Fitz said that he's going to make Wood buy dinner - SOMETHING IS UP!!!  :tinfoil hat:

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, K-9 said:

Gotta believe he will be a rostered player until at least June 1st. 

you can designate guys as post-June 1 cuts once the league year starts.must be something to due with  injury vs retirement ..maybe retirement means you cant designate as Post June 1?

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think he found out that the team wants him to either forfeit the 2018 guaranteed salary or pay back the $4.3M in unamortized bonus, which they are entitled to do and would help with the cap hit for next year.

Wood is making the team retire him. He certainly won’t do it himself. Not with that kind of money at stake.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

you can designate guys as post-June 1 cuts once the league year starts.must be something to due with  injury vs retirement ..maybe retirement means you cant designate as Post June 1?

I think if he retires now, as in puts in the paperwork, the Bills get wacked with the full money on this years salary cap.

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

I agree. “Waived-injured” and “physically unable to perform” carry entirely different connotations than “retired” and offer different cap relief scenarios as well. Since Friday, everyone has been discussin cap ramidfications in terms of retirement only. Bills are being smart here.

3 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Wood is making the team retire him. He certainly won’t do it himself. Not with that kind of money at stake.

This is my guess. I’m guessing a bit of a heated or disgruntled exchange in the moments leading to his announcement regarding the financial aspect of all of this. 

Wood stayed clear of commitment to anything regarding plans. Eluded to continued employment. Organization failed to comment in any meaningful way other than “this is Eric’s Day”.

McDermott could have said. “Eric has been such a lynchpin on this roster. And we want to make sure we make it clear, that high character guys get high character treatment”

but hey didn’t. They talked about his day, and spending his life with his family, while he talked about being an employee. These are people on very different sides of the table. 

35 minutes ago, eball said:

Some of you are morons.  Of course he didn't learn of the issue before the playoffs.  He learned of it in his SEASON-ENDING physical that was after the game and right before his son was born.

Just listened to the statement.

He very clearly said he learned of this within a few days of the Playoff game (meaning after), and 1 hour BEFORE the birth of his son.

His point was simply that it was tough emotionally handling the high of finally making a playoff game followed so quickly by the low of finding out your career is over.

As far as I know, Eric is scheduled to speak to Schopp and Bulldog as he always does on Mondays, probably for one last time today.  He was scheduled as of last week.  Not sure if something has change with that b/c of all the weirdness going on today.

Could be the most interesting segment he's ever done with those two.

4 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Just listened to the statement.

He very clearly said he learned of this within a few days of the Playoff game (meaning after), and 1 hour BEFORE the birth of his son.

His point was simply that it was tough emotionally handling the high of finally making a playoff game followed so quickly by the low of finding out your career is over.

As far as I know, Eric is scheduled to speak to Schopp and Bulldog as he always does on Mondays, probably for one last time today.  He was scheduled as of last week.  Not sure if something has change with that b/c of all the weirdness going on today.

Could be the most interesting segment he's ever done with those two.

On Friday Schopp said he told him he would come on sometime this week... unless I misheard. 

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I agree. “Waived-injured” and “physically unable to perform” carry entirely different connotations than “retired” and offer different cap relief scenarios as well. Since Friday, everyone has been discussin cap ramidfications in terms of retirement only. Bills are being smart here.

Good thinking K-9

Or even IR him for 2018 may work for salary cap implications. No need for Bean to rush. It is not like he is trying to do a trade or anything.....lol.

Edited by cba fan