Best recovery in music history.

njbuff

Bon Scott died on February 19,1980 and it was believed to be a crushing blow to the existence of AC/DC. 

Scott was/is one of the greatest front men in music history, no matter what genre of music and he is arguably the coolest human being to ever live.................

but the way AC/DC was able to recover quickly and be able to bring on Brian Johnson is one of, if not, the greatest quickest recovery in music history.

Point is.......... two all time front men for one band at different times is just something a marvel.

12 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Bon Scott died on February 19,1980 and it was believed to be a crushing blow to the existence of AC/DC. 

Scott was/is one of the greatest front men in music history, no matter what genre of music and he is arguably the coolest human being to ever live.................

but the way AC/DC was able to recover quickly and be able to bring on Brian Johnson is one of, if not, the greatest quickest recovery in music history.

Point is.......... two all time front men for one band at different times is just something a marvel.

This is something to marvel at. When Scott died it was almost like they didn't miss a step.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

Stones lose Brian Jones

Pink Floyd loses Syd Barrett

Iron Maiden loses Paul Di’anno

Flaming Lips lose Ronald Jones

My Iron Maiden fanboy is showing here, but I think their recovery from the Blaze Bayley era with Brave New World was great. Going from Paul to Bruce was legendary, of course. 

6 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

My Iron Maiden fanboy is showing here, but I think their recovery from the Blaze Bayley era with Brave New World was great. Going from Paul to Bruce was legendary, of course. 

Unless I'm mistaken, Paul to Bruce was a choice. My understanding is that the band thought Paul's vocal range was too limited.

4 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Unless I'm mistaken, Paul to Bruce was a choice. My understanding is that the band thought Paul's vocal range was too limited.

Paul became a hardcore cokehead if I remember right. I think Clive Burr was fired for similar reasons. 

24 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I’m not that familiar with the late era stuff. I might need to check it out.

5 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Never heard that....and forgot all about Clive Burr.

https://thecanyonmalibu.com/blog/3-bands-that-lost-their-front-men-to-drug-addiction/

I’m not that familiar with the late era stuff. I might need to check it out.

Their latest album, Book of Souls, is pretty good stuff. 

Edited by BillsEnthusiast

2 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Metallica/Cliff Burton

Hard to compare a frontman with a bass player when it comes to band continuity.

Not quite the same genre (and was never a big fan)  but Genesis went from Peter Gabriel to Phil Collins.

1 minute ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Wasn't doubting you, but thanks for the link. I guess what I heard was a cover story. Believable though.

2 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Is it douchey to quote yourself?

Sabbath also went from Dio to Ian Gillen. I may be the only jack-ass to buy that one. "Born Again" if I remember right.

My college roommate bought it too, so it sold at least two copies.

Def Leppard.

Drummer loses an arm.  Think about that.  A drummer losing an arm in 1986.  He comes back.  Then Steve Clark dies in 1991 and they replace him with Viv Campbell.

They're still touring.  Arenas.  30+ years after their drummer lost his arm.

2 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Dead and company has been killing it. Granted it is 20 years past Jerry passing and there hasn't been any new material, but their tours just keep getting better and better 

Thats because everyone going there is baked and probably still think that Jerry is around and can't remember what year it is.

Best thing I heard recently would be for the Dead to bring Jerry back as a performance Hologram and put it in the crowd and watch the reactions. So many people freaking out thinking they are on a bad trip.....

2 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I was always amazed that Groehl went from drummer to singer/guitar.

Their first album he played everything on IIRC

9 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Metallica/Cliff Burton

They turned down les claypool. An embarrassment of riches

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Def Leppard.

Drummer loses an arm.  Think about that.  A drummer losing an arm in 1986.  He comes back.  Then Steve Clark dies in 1991 and they replace him with Viv Campbell.

Reminds me of an old joke:

what has 9 arms and sucks?

def leppard 

Edited by joesixpack
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Dead and company has been killing it. Granted it is 20 years past Jerry passing and there hasn't been any new material, but their tours just keep getting better and better 

Sorry, we’re talking real bands not cover bands. :D

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, section122 said:

Styx and Dennis DeYoung.

Yeah I love Styx.  :ph34r::blush:

Can't say I agree with this one.  After DeYoung left (and really, the first breakup) all their new stuff is crap, even compared to their old stuff, which aside from a few songs was mostly crap.  I understand they still sell out amphitheaters with help from REO/Foreigner/Journey/Heart/etc. but it's not exactly where it used to be.

5 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

I believe you are mistaken. I'm pretty sure Led Claypool turned the down.

IIRC, I believe he was friends with them and he came out and tried out for the position, but the band told him he was too good and he needed to be the lead in his own band and not just their bassist so that's what he did.

14 hours ago, Pete said:

how about Foo Fighters after Nirvana?

I don't think spin-offs qualify for this, but in the same vein: Cornell went from TOTD to Soundgarden to Audioslave and it was all gold.

RATM going from Zack de la Rocha to Chris Cornell turned out awesome.

1 hour ago, LeviF91 said:

Can't say I agree with this one.  After DeYoung left (and really, the first breakup) all their new stuff is crap, even compared to their old stuff, which aside from a few songs was mostly crap.  I understand they still sell out amphitheaters with help from REO/Foreigner/Journey/Heart/etc. but it's not exactly where it used to be.

You take that back!

I went from memory but after looking it up I guess I can't argue that they didn't do much without him I just won't agree that they are mostly crap :lol:

19 hours ago, Gugny said:

Def Leppard.

They never recovered from the loss of Steve Clark, IMO. They may have a guy to play the notes on tour, but the guitar riffs Clark came up with made them what they were. They haven't put out anything worthwhile since.