Remind Me - Why Didn't We Make a Run at Nick Foles?

No.

Draft a QB in the strongest and most top-heavy QB class in years.

Doug Williams was a Super Bowl MVP... was fantastic in a route of the Broncos... then he lost his job to Mark Rypien.

Let's be thankful another QB needy team is going to massively overpay Foles and overcompensate the Eagles.

People are making way too big a deal out of 2 games... and that's all he has been good for this year in relief of Wentz. He was great in those 2 games. But 2 games.

Foles is a capable starter in the right situation, but not every situation. The Eagles were just an unbelievable situation this year with a fantastic OL, Elite TE, an amazing WR corps, 2 excellent RBs and, most importantly, a brilliant, creative and aggressive offensive play caller.

I expect backlash from saying this in this fairly insane thread, but I figured coming here people would be emotional and overreacting.

Friggin LOVE that the Patriots lost because the Eagles are just the better team :thumbsup:

On 1/21/2018 at 10:44 PM, cba fan said:

Foles is:

Foles Gold.

Don't fall for it. He literally had one good game all season.

On 1/21/2018 at 10:45 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Good one.  :lol:

On 1/22/2018 at 6:56 AM, ScottLaw said:

You think Foles looks this good in a Dennison offense?

Not a chance. Coaching and scheming to your players makes a big difference. Dennison does/did none of that.

On 1/22/2018 at 9:02 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's not a franchise QB for any team in the NFL. Stop the madness. 

On 1/22/2018 at 2:59 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Nick Foles or is it Folds? Stay enamored my friend.  

????

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

No.

Draft a QB in the strongest and most top-heavy QB class in years.

Doug Williams was a Super Bowl MVP... was fantastic in a route of the Broncos... then he lost his job to Mark Rypien.

Let's be thankful another QB needy team is going to massively overpay Foles and overcompensate the Eagles.

People are making way too big a deal out of 2 games... and that's all he has been good for this year in relief of Wentz. He was great in those 2 games. But 2 games.

Foles is a capable starter in the right situation, but not every situation. The Eagles were just an unbelievable situation this year with a fantastic OL, Elite TE, an amazing WR corps, 2 excellent RBs and, most importantly, a brilliant, creative and aggressive offensive play caller.

I expect backlash from saying this in this fairly insane thread, but I figured coming here people would be emotional and overreacting.

Friggin LOVE that the Patriots lost because the Eagles are just the better team :thumbsup:

Foles threw for 373 yards and 3 tds.    Give him some credit 

I thought Foles was fools gold before this run in the playoffs.  Man I'm torn, dude played elite.  

Critcal throws, threaded the needle, read defenses, made big boy throws, nerves of steel and clutch.

If we can call plays like the coaching staff does or similar concepts, I'm up for making a go at him.  Live arm that kid.

On 1/21/2018 at 8:12 PM, The Frankish Reich said:

5 years, $27.5 million with certain incentives and "escalators" that could add another $11 million.  So if he performs well, the top end is 38.5 million. And if he performs poorly, it is essentially voidable by the Eagles after 2 years.

Tyrod: 2 years, $30.5 million.

And he is obviously a better fit for the Dennison offense than Tyrod was. For those of you who'd say, "where we you when he was a free agent" - I was right here, suggesting that Foles was far and away the best "bridge" QB free agent out there ....

I listened to billsredneck1 who said he was nothing more than a mediocre backup. ;)

• Haha (+1) 1

Foles does come with a golden bridge QB friendly contract. Check it out. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/nick-foles-9898/

7 mill cap hit for 2018 then auto voids 2019 with no dead cap after OR at any time for team that trades for him.

So if he gets beat out in training camp next year and is cut. No dead cap. In that scenario the new team could trade him instead of cutting him if a team has QB injury in preseason. Foles is the new Bradford.

Some team will give a mid pick for that contract even though a two year deal would be better.

Edited by cba fan

Just now, cba fan said:

Foles does come with a golden bridge QB friendly contract. Check it out. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/nick-foles-9898/

7 mill cap hit for 2018 then auto voids 2019 with no dead cap after OR at any time for team that trades for him.

So if he gets beat out in training camp next year and is cut. No dead cap. In that scenario the new team could trade him again if a team has QB injury in preseason.

Some team will give a mid pick for that contract even though a two year deal would be better.

That's not going to happen.  Wentz is the unquestioned starter and franchise QB and Foles won't be released.  Foles could be traded if Wentz is 100% ready to roll in week 1, but I'd be surprised if he's not an Eagle when preseason football begins.

7 minutes ago, cba fan said:

So if he gets beat out in training camp next year and is cut. No dead cap. In that scenario the new team could trade him instead of cutting him if a team has QB injury in preseason. Foles is the new Bradford.

Eagles have no 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rd pick in this draft. They have negative cap space right now. Sudfeld can be the backup. They need to capitalize on getting a pick for Foles while the iron is hot. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, cba fan said:

I would think that any deal made would have to come with a contract extension 

4 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

I listened to billsredneck1 who said he was nothing more than a mediocre backup. ;)

LOL, a lot try to convince people of things.

He is now one of 29 QB's in the world to ever become Super Bowl MVP. 

But hey man, we don't want that??

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Except Dennison would've made him look more like the guy he was on the Rams than the guy he was last night.

Coaching makes a HUGE difference.

Agreed Scott. You gotta play to a players strength no doubt. He deserves a shot as a full time starter somewhere that will play to his abilities. He demonstrated some of the best pin point accuracy I have seen at the position in a long time. Just straight lasers to well covered receivers, only where they could make the play.

All without their all-pro tackle.

Edited by Real McCoy

The Bills should at the very least seriously entertain the thought of trading for Foles as a bridge QB.   Daboll ran the RPO often with Alabama so he certainly has lots of experience running this style of offense and Foles has proven to be one of the best RPO QB's in the league when given a chance.  That's what he did with Philly in 2013, which was one of the best statistical years a QB ever had in the NFL.   Foles has shown that he can make all the plays and with the right coaching we have seen what he can do.

Is Doug Pederson coming with Foles?

Foles was very very poor the previous 3 years to this one, that is why no one went after him. 1:1 TD to INT ratio.

No one was clamoring for him at the beginning of this year.

Foles

Keenum

They are both fools gold. They will be the next Matt Flynns (IMO)

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's not going to happen.  Wentz is the unquestioned starter and franchise QB and Foles won't be released.  Foles could be traded if Wentz is 100% ready to roll in week 1, but I'd be surprised if he's not an Eagle when preseason football begins.

Eagles already conceded they may be willing to trade Foles.

24 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

Foles has one hit wonder written all over him.

The thing about Foles is he actually did have an elite season a few years back. The most revealing thing I've read about him is that after that great season, coaches tried to make him into more of a pro-style mechanical qb rather than the point guard he truly is. Pederson told him to play point guard, and that's what he's been doing of late. He's great at that. He was a highly recruited basketball player out of high school. Christ, he was recruited by Georgetown to play point guard.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Coaching makes a HUGE difference.

You're on to something there.  Looking at how the Vikings and Eagles played with multiple QBs and QBs that aren't considered top shelf makes you think that the dearth of QBs in the league might to a great extent be due to lousy coaching.  Those 2 teams really have showed that coaching and good team play around the QB make all the difference.

Edited by keepthefaith

10 minutes ago, cba fan said:

Eagles already conceded they may be willing to trade Foles.

cordy glenn is our ace in the hole on this deal. it's gonna take a pick and a player. 

i would hope the fo does what it takes to get him. now is the perfect time. i'd offer cordy and a second. i'd even eat the 6mil. and throw in tt.  getting foles does a lot for us. it gives us a bonafide qb and ....

we can still get one in the draft, but it would allow us to maximize the draft. we can always move no. 22 down and make that pick back.

2018 foles, peterman, rudolph  done deal.;)

1 minute ago, billsredneck1 said:

cordy glenn is our ace in the hole on this deal. it's gonna take a pick and a player. 

i would hope the fo does what it takes to get him. now is the perfect time. i'd offer cordy and a second. i'd even eat the 6mil. and throw in tt.  getting foles does a lot for us. it gives us a bonafide qb and ....

we can still get one in the draft, but it would allow us to maximize the draft. we can always move no. 22 down and make that pick back.

They don't need Cordy Glenn with Peters and Lane Johnson at OT.  They also have Vaitai who did a nice job at LT in Peters' absence not to mention they cannot afford to take on any of Glenn's contract with them already being over the cap for 2018. 

3 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

That's a lot to trade.  You're also assuming they want glenn over peters.  Peters has proven to be a better player than glenn when healthy, and neither are healthy.  They're at the cap, they want picks not bad contracts.  If anything they'd send 

Jimmy G was had for a 2nd as well, but he also didn't play like garbage from 2014-2015 either. 

Honestly though - he looked sharp and I would target him as a bridge/insurance policy if the draft doesn't fall your way.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They don't need Cordy Glenn with Peters and Lane Johnson at OT.  They also have Vaitai who did a nice job at LT in Peters' absence not to mention they cannot afford to take on any of Glenn's contract with them already being over the cap for 2018. 

I don't think anyone is going to want Glenn. He is injured and has a huge contract. If I'm a gm of another team, I'd ask why the Bills seem to want to get rid of him. They might get a later-round pick for him, but that's the best they'll get. I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut.

27 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The thing about Foles is he actually did have an elite season a few years back. The most revealing thing I've read about him is that after that great season, coaches tried to make him into more of a pro-style mechanical qb rather than the point guard he truly is. Pederson told him to play point guard, and that's what he's been doing of late. He's great at that. He was a highly recruited basketball player out of high school. Christ, he was recruited by Georgetown to play point guard.

It will be interesting to see what happens to him. 

I just wanted the Bills to draft a top prospect, but they won too many games, so that plan is shot to hell and back.

Edited by T-Bomb

Just now, T-Bomb said:

It will be interested to see what happens to him. 

I just wanted the Bills to draft a top prospect, but they won too many games, so that plan is shot to hell and back.

I'd take a chance on him. I think Daboll is smart enough to utilize him correctly. Dennison? Not so much. So glad he's gone. 

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I don't think anyone is going to want Glenn. He is injured and has a huge contract. If I'm a gm of another team, I'd ask why the Bills seem to want to get rid of him. They might get a later-round pick for him, but that's the best they'll get. I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut.

It depends on whether the foot/ankle procedure he recently had will actually resolve his season long issue that prevented him from staying on the field.  If his health is good, he's too good of a player to outright release.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

It depends on whether the foot/ankle procedure he recently had will actually resolve his season long issue that prevented him from staying on the field.  If his health is good, he's too good of a player to outright release.

I dunno. He just seems like he's morphed into an "oft-injured player."

54 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Is Doug Pederson coming with Foles?

Foles was very very poor the previous 3 years to this one, that is why no one went after him. 1:1 TD to INT ratio.

No one was clamoring for him at the beginning of this year.

Foles

Keenum

They are both fools gold. They will be the next Matt Flynns (IMO)

Trust The Badol.

If the bills think Foles is the answer giving up a 2nd plus a conditional wud be ok ..remember garapolo only went for a 2nd cus Belichick didn't want to trade him to browns they offered their lower top 5 pick 

Edited by bills11

27 minutes ago, dneveu said:

That's a lot to trade.  You're also assuming they want glenn over peters.  Peters has proven to be a better player than glenn when healthy, and neither are healthy.  They're at the cap, they want picks not bad contracts.  If anything they'd send 

Jimmy G was had for a 2nd as well, but he also didn't play like garbage from 2014-2015 either. 

Honestly though - he looked sharp and I would target him as a bridge/insurance policy if the draft doesn't fall your way.  

Better bridge than TT

With the surprise runs of Foles and Keenum, who knows, could we be returning to a time of seeing guys who took a few years to develop and sustain success? I won't say yes because sustainability is the question. Does make me wonder if guys like Chase Daniel, AJ McCarron, and Landry Jones are also in that class of guys who could take that step if they got a shot.

1 hour ago, Magox said:

The Bills should at the very least seriously entertain the thought of trading for Foles as a bridge QB.   Daboll ran the RPO often with Alabama so he certainly has lots of experience running this style of offense and Foles has proven to be one of the best RPO QB's in the league when given a chance.  That's what he did with Philly in 2013, which was one of the best statistical years a QB ever had in the NFL.   Foles has shown that he can make all the plays and with the right coaching we have seen what he can do.

I’m on board with this idea. Even grab Foles and pick up two developmental prospects in the draft... 

Foles seems to be a genuinely humble guy but is he humble enough to want to go somewhere to be someone's bridge?

"Hey guys, I just had a historic playoff run and have a SB MVP trophy on my mantle, but sure....I'd love to be your stop-gap till this unproven rook is ready. Where do I sign?"