How about AJ McCarron?

EricScott

Apparently, if McCarron comes out ahead in his grievance against the Bengals, then he becomes a free agent. I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I haven't seen his name mentioned much on this board, and I'm wondering if he might be worthy of discussion as a possible FA target. He would likely come at a fraction of the cost of a Teddy Bridgewater, for example, and yet he does seem to be an under the radar type who might be worth a gamble. Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, EricScott said:

Apparently, if McCarron comes out ahead in his grievance against the Bengals, then he becomes a free agent. I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I haven't seen his name mentioned much on this board, and I'm wondering if he might be worthy of discussion as a possible FA target. He would likely come at a fraction of the cost of a Teddy Bridgewater, for example, and yet he does seem to be an under the radar type who might be worth a gamble. Thoughts?

There's a limited data set on him of course, but he is one of two later- round backup QB that met the "Yes" criteria (completion %, YPA, and TD/iNT) in my QB draft analysis.  I think he's an interesting player (and the better of the two, though the other is on a much worse team)

Here's my caveat: assuming he becomes a FA, then like Tyrod did, he's going to want to go to a team that will give him a shot at being a starter.  And while I'd be happy for him to compete to be a starter, I want it to be a much more "stacked" competition than EJM, TT, and Matt Cassel - which means the size of the Brinks truck we can offer him must be limited to a small handtruck.

The reports are that the Browns were ready to give the Bengals a second and a third round pick for him in their botched trade attempt. That's literally a higher price than the Pats got from the 49'ers for Jimmy G. He's only 27 and doesn't have a lot of tread on the tires. I guess I'm just puzzled by the seeming lack of interest in him on this board. I just think getting him for a relatively reasonable rate and having all of our picks available to make the team around him stronger is at least something to think about. Is Mason Rudolph, for example, any less of a gamble than McCarron would be?

1 minute ago, gobills1212 said:

Man.. Why didn't anyone else think of that??

2 years ago there might have been a case. Now he suffers from ' if he was worth his salt why hasn't he supplanted Dalton? 

I'd imagine there's only one answer...

... the square root of 7?

• Haha (+1) 2

Man, I was just thinking about it this. I say YES.  Accurate passer. Comes from a winning program. Been through 3 or 4 years of NFL mini camps, training camps,film study,pre season games. Even has a little playoff experience.  6 TDs 2 picks 6.9 ypa 64% completions, 93.6 rate in spot duty.

I would try very hard to trade or sign him. Bring back Hotrod. Then draft a good QB if you can. Let them compete in PS.  Best QB pLays.

I have never understood why when good college QBs go to a team and rides the pine, everyone forgets about them and instead focusses on guys like Josh Allen.

Edited by reddogblitz

I've actually seen more than a few Bengals fans on their boards say they'd like to see McCarron start over Dalton. Teams don't like to pay their starters huge sums of money and then bench them for a second-stringer- makes the front office look bad. I'm not saying that this is necessarily the way to go, but I think it just might be an option worth discussing.

My opinion hasn't changed since I wanted the Bills to pick him in the mid rounds of the 2014 draft. High floor guy..  he is what some people thought Peterman was but isn't.... a guy whose floor is solid NFL backup. The issue is that I think his ceiling is somewhere around Ryan Tannehill (I would say Tyrod but Tannehill feels a better style comparison). 

At the right price I'd take a shot as a bridge guy but I think he would probably have better offers on the table. 

> IF < he becomes an UFA. I would consider him at the right price. But not at the cost of a 2nd and a 3rd. He has potential as a bridge while a rookie develops. But the price would have to be right. An incentive laced performance based contract would be essential. He is less of a gamble than a rookie like we would get without trading up, but he has not proven in any way to be a possible franchise QB. He has proven to be a perfectly acceptable backup with a possible upside, but nothing more. I'd give him his shot at starting, and let him prove he is worth more.

6 hours ago, EricScott said:

The reports are that the Browns were ready to give the Bengals a second and a third round pick for him in their botched trade attempt. That's literally a higher price than the Pats got from the 49'ers for Jimmy G. He's only 27 and doesn't have a lot of tread on the tires. I guess I'm just puzzled by the seeming lack of interest in him on this board. I just think getting him for a relatively reasonable rate and having all of our picks available to make the team around him stronger is at least something to think about. Is Mason Rudolph, for example, any less of a gamble than McCarron would be?

Are we taking the judgement of a 1-31 head coach as an endorsement?

6 hours ago, EricScott said:

who cares what posters are thinking.   i can assure you the Bills are looking at him.  

AJ McCarron would be the perfect bridge QB with the potential to play at the same level as Andy Dalton or better. If our goal is to upgrade the passing attack and play mistake free offense than McCarron is our guy.

If the defense is improved and the trenches are improved I think AJ could get us to the playoffs. All the guy did at Alabama was win. 

8 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Man, I was just thinking about it this. I say YES.  Accurate passer. Comes from a winning program. Been through 3 or 4 years of NFL mini camps, training camps,film study,pre season games. Even has a little playoff experience.  6 TDs 2 picks 6.9 ypa 64% completions, 93.6 rate in spot duty.

I would try very hard to trade or sign him. b]Bring back Hotrod.[/b] Then draft a good QB if you can. Let them compete in PS.  Best QB pLays.

I have never understood why when good college QBs go to a team and rides the pine, everyone forgets about them and instead focusses on guys like Josh Allen.

The Tyrod Taylor era in Buffalo is over with. He re-signed with Buffalo because he felt that it was the best situation for him to showcase his talents as a starter. It didn't work out for a variety of reasons. (Pointless to rehash what has already been rehashed. ) His former GM wanted to move on from him. The next brain-trust appears to want to do the same. 

The best situation for Taylor is  to move on to another location/situation and have a fresh start. The best situation for the Bills is to move in another direction on the qb issue and have a fresh start. This is a case where what is right for the player is right for the franchise. He's a quality guy who deserves to be in a better situation than what he has here. The best way to move forward is not to look back. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 5

8 hours ago, EricScott said:

What makes him any more desirable to want to play opposed to our own 5th round pick? 

I actually think that he gets more than Bridgewater. McCarron to me fits in that stopgap tier with Bridgewater, Tyrod, Bradford, McCown, Alex Smith and maybe a few I’m forgetting. Those are the guys that you can have if you’ve invested an eary pick on a QB. 

I don’t think that you can commit to McCarron though as the guy. His resume is short like a draft pick but you will have to pay him $12m plus (conservatively).

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Low price competition? Yeah. Him, Peterman, and the rookie would be adequate for me.

I'd like the Bills to just develop their own franchise QB. Something they've never done.

It would not be adequate for me.   He would take the place of TJax in the Seahawks Flynn/Wilson/TJax triad, or of Chase Daniels in the Eagles QB search.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

22 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I actually think that he gets more than Bridgewater. McCarron to me fits in that stopgap tier with Bridgewater, Tyrod, Bradford, McCown, Alex Smith and maybe a few I’m forgetting. Those are the guys that you can have if you’ve invested an eary pick on a QB. 

I don’t think that you can commit to McCarron though as the guy. His resume is short like a draft pick but you will have to pay him $12m plus (conservatively).

I think AJ McCarron asks for, and gets, at least Chase Daniel money.  Which was 3 year, $21M as I recall.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think AJ McCarron asks for, and gets, at least Chase Daniel money.  Which was 3 year, $21M as I recall.

He’s getting a lot more than that. The Browns offered more for McCarron than the 49ers did for Garropolo. Teams have worlds of cap space at the moment. I think that he is getting 2 years $24M with $20M guaranteed as a starting point.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s getting a lot more than that. The Browns offered more for McCarron than the 49ers did for Garropolo. Teams have worlds of cap space at the moment. I think that he is getting 2 years $24M with $20M guaranteed as a starting point.

The amount that you mentioned would be a good fit for Buffalo from a money and bridge standpoint if the Bills drafted a qb with a high round pick. And sometimes things work out beyond one's expectation where the bridge qb turns out to be better than expected. (My assumption is that TT will be gone. )

Just now, JohnC said:

The amount that you mentioned would be a good fit for Buffalo from a money and bridge standpoint if the Bills drafted a qb with a high round pick. And sometimes things work out beyond one's expectation where the bridge qb turns out to be better than expected. (My assumption is that TT will be gone. )

I agree and think that the bridge option is the route that the Bills go. Bring in a guy capable of starting (preferably with some upside) and draft a guy early. McCarron and Bridgewater seem to check that box for me. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I agree and think that the bridge option is the route that the Bills go. Bring in a guy capable of starting (preferably with some upside) and draft a guy early. McCarron and Bridgewater seem to check that box for me. 

I'm confused as to McCarron's contract status? Will he be a free agent or will a trade have to be executed to get him? 

off topic: Canisius won again in a TV game. 

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm confused as to McCarron's contract status? Will he be a free agent or will a trade have to be executed to get him? 

off topic: Canisius won again in a TV game. 

I watched the game. They looked good. A lot of young talent for that league. Reese had a HUGE 2nd half.

McCarron is actually in a bit of a contract dispute to become and UFA. I guess that he is TBD as of now.

We are not talking runningbacks here.  The no tread is a cute way of saying inexperienced.  I dont trust Qbs when a team is willing to trade them within their own division.  Cleveland was offering a hefty price but still.

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You're confused just like McCarron's contract status is confusing.

McCarron will be a restricted free agent in 2018.

McCarron has filed a grievance with the NFL. 

The Bengals placed him on Non Football Injury at the start of training camp  his rookie season, 2014.  He passed his rookie physical

The Bengals put him on the roster Dec 9th. 

McCarron asserts he was healthy enough to come off the list during TC and gain an accrued season in 2014, which would make him an unrestricted FA this off-season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, EricScott said:

Reports are that the Browns were ready to give NE a higher price than the Pats got from the 49ers for Jimmy G - at least a 1st round pick, maybe more.
Reports also are that the Browns would have been giving the Bengals a 2nd and 3rd round pick for an 8 game rental, since McCarron had already filed his grievance.

1 hour ago, PeterGriffin said:

What makes him any more desirable to want to play opposed to our own 5th round pick? 

Really good question.  I hope someone will answer from the "what did he show in college"? perspective.

He has started 3 games his 1st accrued season (2nd year in the league).  Low passing yardage, good completion percentage, good TD/INT percentage, did enough for them to win.

I would give McCarron the edge on "shows NFL level ability to know what he doesn't know" as far as reading D and identifying coverage, but plenty of open questions.

All I would care about is:

1) Does he throw before the break?

2) Does he understand why teams have wideouts?

3) Does he release the ball in under 3 seconds?

4) Does he throw more than 4 yards when the 1st down marker is 5 yards away?

5) Does a sub 60 yard passing  game and his name not appear together anywhere?

If so, great. Sign him. (Hmm, also check that he doesn't have slow eyes, let's not go back two steps!)

Edited by Green Lightning
  • Haha (+1) 1

AJ McCarron wouldn't be much different than breaking in a new rookie. You still better have a Alex Smith for a year or so to see what you have in McCarron before throwing him the keys

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

i keep thinking the Bengals will keep A.j and trade Dalton.  

would you trade a 3 for Dalton ? 

39 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

All I would care about is:

1) Does he throw before the break?

2) Does he understand why teams have wideouts?

3) Does he release the ball in under 3 seconds?

4) Does he throw more than 4 yards when the 1st down marker is 5 yards away?

5) Does a sub 60 yard passing  game and his name not appear together anywhere?

If so, great. Sign him. (Hmm, also check that he doesn't have slow eyes, let's not go back two steps!)

I think we have the only qb that doesn't 

7 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

i keep thinking the Bengals will keep A.j and trade Dalton.  

would you trade a 3 for Dalton ?

I think it's a moot point.  I don't think the Bengals trade Dalton for a 3rd.  Certainly not for AJ McCarron. 

As someone else already commented, if they thought he was better than Dalton, why didn't they vote with their depth chart?

12 hours ago, EricScott said:

Not a fan of McCarron in terms of him playing for the Buffalo Bills.

I'm much more a fan of his wife.

What is she up to these days?  Perhaps the organization could hire her as some type of on-screen TV personality publicizing the team, doing team interviews and what not?

She's much better looking than John Murphy.  In fact, can we replace "Murph" with Katherine Webb entirely? 

She can probably do his radio show just as well.