How about AJ McCarron?

EricScott

3 hours ago, Mat68 said:

We are not talking runningbacks here.  The no tread is a cute way of saying inexperienced.  I dont trust Qbs when a team is willing to trade them within their own division.  Cleveland was offering a hefty price but still.

One of the best coaches in NFL history did it with a guy who then led a top ten scoring offense and threw for over 4000 yds for the new Team. It happens and works sometimes 

I think Mccarron could be a good fit with our new  OC. Since he could be a free agent, any trade with Cincinnati would likely require some type of contract extension. Personally, I still think Peterman has similar qualities and may show better with our new offense. We have so many needs in the draft, I would hate to see us bundle a boatload of picks to move up into the top 5 for a qb.

Mccarron rookie profile

16 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Not a fan of McCarron in terms of him playing for the Buffalo Bills.

I'm much more a fan of his wife.

What is she up to these days?  Perhaps the organization could hire her as some type of on-screen TV personality publicizing the team, doing team interviews and what not?

She's much better looking than John Murphy.  In fact, can we replace "Murph" with Katherine Webb entirely? 

She can probably do his radio show just as well.

Is that you, Brent?

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Really good question.  I hope someone will answer from the "what did he show in college"? perspective.

He has started 3 games his 1st accrued season (2nd year in the league).  Low passing yardage, good completion percentage, good TD/INT percentage, did enough for them to win.

I would give McCarron the edge on "shows NFL level ability to know what he doesn't know" as far as reading D and identifying coverage, but plenty of open questions.

All he did was win in college. Alabama had a stacked roster but they were a run heavy offence. When Alabama needed a 1st down or a big play to win the game McCarron was up to the task. His 2012 and 2013 seasons were fun to watch, I really think he is a better QB than Andy Dalton. If he doesn't win his case against the NFL I would trade a 2nd and 3rd for him easily.

I don't make guarantees that often but I guarantee McCarron will be a good/great QB when he gets his shot.

Daboll has a direct line to Nick Saban, I'm sure he would give Daboll any info he wanted on McCarron.

McCarron, Mayfield and Peterman would be our best possible scenario for the QB position in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it's a moot point.  I don't think the Bengals trade Dalton for a 3rd.  Certainly not for AJ McCarron. 

As someone else already commented, if they thought he was better than Dalton, why didn't they vote with their depth chart?

I don't agree with this, I remember their being multiple reports that Cousins was pushing RG3 and should be starting over him. The Redskins started RG3 for 2 1/2 seasons over Cousins. What we know now of the way Cousins is playing and the numbers he is putting up I'm guessing those reports that Cousins was out playing RG3 were true.

The only way McCarron was going to move up the depth chart was if Dalton got injured. Dalton is still a good QB, it would take a lot for the Bengals to make that change.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

He was a game manager - in college! How hard is it to be a "winner" at Bama where you are surround by blue chippers.  There is nothing special about this guy and would be  a lateral if not backwards move from Tyrod. 

He also has one of the worst tattoos ever. 

34 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

All he did was win in college. Alabama had a stacked roster but they were a run heavy offence. When Alabama needed a 1st down or a big play to win the game McCarron was up to the task. His 2012 and 2013 seasons were fun to watch, I really think he is a better QB than Andy Dalton. If he doesn't win his case against the NFL I would trade a 2nd and 3rd for him easily.

I don't make guarantees that often but I guarantee McCarron will be a good/great QB when he gets his shot.

Yeah, Amari Cooper was a scrub.

when Dalton got hurt in 2014, he was a MVP candidate and the Bengals were playing the best football In the NFL.   So you think McCarrom has MVP type ability?

39 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He was a game manager - in college! How hard is it to be a "winner" at Bama where you are surround by blue chippers.  There is nothing special about this guy and would be  a lateral if not backwards move from Tyrod. 

He also has one of the worst tattoos ever. 

Yeah, Amari Cooper was a scrub.

when Dalton got hurt in 2014, he was a MVP candidate and the Bengals were playing the best football In the NFL.   So you think McCarrom has MVP type ability?

I do think he has MVP type ability.

56 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I don't agree with this, I remember their multiple reports that Cousins was pushing RG3 and should be starting over him. The Redskins started RG3 for 2 1/2 seasons over Cousins. What we know now of the way Cousins is playing and the numbers he is putting up I'm guessing those reports that Cousins was out playing RG3 were true.

The only way McCarron was going to move up the depth chart was if Dalton got injured. Dalton is still a good QB, it would take a lot for the Bengals to make that change.

A valid point, the entrenched starter (usually) has the advantage

The Redskins did have some other drivers: the excessive amount they gave up in the RGIII trade-up; the hope that RGIII could return to his ROY form (which was >> Cousins)

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

6 hours ago, George C said:

Extremely possible we sign AJ.

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Is extremely possible and different than just possible?

I think the word you are looking for is probable - or maybe somewhat probable - or maybe possible but not probable or perhaps not impossible.  OR maybe you wanted to say Entirely Possible.

Edited by PolishDave

4 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Is extremely possibly and different than just possible?

I think the word you are looking for is probably - or maybe somewhat probable - or maybe possible but not probable or perhaps not impossible.

I'm extremely excited about the possibility of signing McCarron.

Peter Piper Picked a pack of pickled peppers. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I'm extremely excited about the possibility of signing McCarron.

Peter Piper Picked a pack of pickled peppers. 

It is extremely possible that someone might be somewhat excited.   It is also possible that people will probably be pissed.

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

What is your guarantee? :P  Kiper said he'd retire if Claussen didn't become an NFL starter within 7 years.  Claussen's been out of football for 2 years and Kiper is still at it. :D

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

How about any back-up QB from any team who hasn't really proven a damn thing? How is that different than McCarron? 

FWIW, when I did this post on QB drafting success, there were two late-round QB that popped up as "Yes"

One of the two was AJ McCarron.

Of course, there are lots of backups in the league who have never started an NFL game and might pop up as "Yes" if they had done one specific thing: played in a few NFL games

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Haha (+1) 1

I will

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What is your guarantee?

Kiper said he'd retire if Claussen didn't become an NFL starter within 7 years.  Claussen's been out of football for 2 years and Kiper is still at it.

I will donate 0.002% of whatever McCarron average salary per year is to a Jim Kelly Charity.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

Man.. Why didn't anyone else think of that??

2 years ago there might have been a case. Now he suffers from ' if he was worth his salt why hasn't he supplanted Dalton? 

I'd imagine there's only one answer...

The Team might be a bit off as a whole honestly.
Maybe they are waiting for Dalton to miss a game?
How do you start him over andy Dalton with Hue being a steady, even boring Coach ? 

• Like (+1) 1

I just don't think we are in a position to make him our starter. I think it makes a ton of sense for the Browns because Hue Jackson knows exactly what he is getting. To put the franchise in this guys hands just doesn't make sense. You better truly believe in him. 

I think it's much more likely we see an Alex Smith trade and trade up for Darnold/Rosen. That way you get your bridge and high end future starter. AJ McCarron is just spinning wheels again. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

6 hours ago, hemma said:

Not that I dislike McCarron, but I think he only has 133 career passes and pretty limited playing experience.

Rather see a more vetted vet to compete with (and help) the drafted rookie and Peterman.

such as  Taylor  ??

:mellow:

2 hours ago, PolishDave said:

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Is extremely possible and different than just possible?

I think the word you are looking for is probable - or maybe somewhat probable - or maybe possible but not probable or perhaps not impossible.  OR maybe you wanted to say Entirely Possible.

I can take a  lean of different degrees into the potential possibilities conceptually as to whether any of these descriptors  for a state of being are in the realm of probabilities factoring.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PeterGriffin said:

What makes him any more desirable to want to play opposed to our own 5th round pick? 

He won the championship with Alabama at least once. He's been developed already by Cindy. They're good at that, you know, Andy Dalton. In 6 starts, he has the exact opposite TD int ratio as Nasty Nate. 6 TDs 2 ints

25 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

If he was better than Dalton he would be starting. If he's not better than Dalton then why would you want him?

Come on man. Andy's the started and makes the big bucks.  They're not going to bench him unless McCarron is clearly better.  he's probably not going to get a chance go show it because Andy makes the big bucks which is why He wants to be a FA.

:wallbash:

18 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Come on man. Andy's the started and makes the big bucks.  They're not going to bench him unless McCarron is clearly better.  he's probably not going to get a chance go show it because Andy makes the big bucks which is why He wants to be a FA.

:wallbash:

If he was better he would be playing. Coaches dont care who makes what. They just want to win and keep their jobs. Marvin Lewis was almost fired this year. Don't you think if McCarron was better he would have put him in at the very least out of desperation?

18 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Man, I was just thinking about it this. I say YES.  Accurate passer. Comes from a winning program. Been through 3 or 4 years of NFL mini camps, training camps,film study,pre season games. Even has a little playoff experience.  6 TDs 2 picks 6.9 ypa 64% completions, 93.6 rate in spot duty.

I would try very hard to trade or sign him. Bring back Hotrod. Then draft a good QB if you can. Let them compete in PS.  Best QB pLays.

I have never understood why when good college QBs go to a team and rides the pine, everyone forgets about them and instead focusses on guys like Josh Allen.

Having 3 QBs competing in training camp NEVER works....The TC is to have the team gel as one and play as 11 on the field....Having a 3-headed competition at the most important position is a huge distraction and whoever comes out of that simply outran the other two mediocre....we will be left be a average to below average QB

52 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Having 3 QBs competing in training camp NEVER works....The TC is to have the team gel as one and play as 11 on the field....Having a 3-headed competition at the most important position is a huge distraction and whoever comes out of that simply outran the other two mediocre....we will be left be a average to below average QB

Are you sure about that?

In 2012, the Seattle Seahawks brought back their incumbent starter Tarvaris Jackson, highly sought after FA signed Matt Flynn, and 3rd round draftee Russell Wilson to training camp. They had an open competition for QB. It worked for them.

That's where I got the idea from.

NEVER say NEVER.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

Russ Wilson called.  He asked me to remind you of the Flynn/Wilson/Tjax trifecta.

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

Are you sure about that?

In 2012, the Seattle Seahawks brought back their incumbent starter Tarvaris Jackson, highly sought after FA signed Matt Flynn, and 3rd round draftee Russell Wilson to training camp. They had an open competition for QB. It worked for them.

That's where I got the idea from.

NEVER say NEVER.

Snap, you beat me to it

22 hours ago, EricScott said:

Apparently, if McCarron comes out ahead in his grievance against the Bengals, then he becomes a free agent. I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I haven't seen his name mentioned much on this board, and I'm wondering if he might be worthy of discussion as a possible FA target. He would likely come at a fraction of the cost of a Teddy Bridgewater, for example, and yet he does seem to be an under the radar type who might be worth a gamble. Thoughts?

I seriously doubt he is a "fraction" of the cost of Teddy.  With Teddy back to back gruesome injuries, no one is going to give him a big deal or a long term deal.  He is likely going to sign a cheap 1 year prove it deal somewhere he will be given a chance to start and try and get a big deal next year on the back of a successful year.  Some fool will over pay for McCarron who has shown nothing so far though...people overpay for the unproven, but they dont over pay for the injured.  

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Thanks for posting. I agree. Would be a good pickup for us Imho.

Yeah, we're never gonna see Peterman make those kind of plays. And McCarron pretty much won the playoff game (geezus, could you imagine Peterman playing like that against the Steelers in a playoff game?) until that ridiculous ending where the refs and the idiots on the Bengals defense decided to completely destroy the outcome.

I love the trajectory of his passes. Low, and quick to the receiver.

Peterman is basically Jeff Tuel, in my eyes.

Edited by OJABBA

13 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I just don't think we are in a position to make him our starter. I think it makes a ton of sense for the Browns because Hue Jackson knows exactly what he is getting. To put the franchise in this guys hands just doesn't make sense. You better truly believe in him. 

I think it's much more likely we see an Alex Smith trade and trade up for Darnold/Rosen. That way you get your bridge and high end future starter. AJ McCarron is just spinning wheels again. 

You realize that you are condemning this team to 3 to 4 years of non competitive play that way. With the major holes this management has ripped into the skill level of the team to get draft capital, then you spend it all on trading for a QB and trading up. You 'might" get a QB, but won't have an Oline or a Dline to support him. Smith needs a strong cast around him to win. He is a game manager, a good one, but still is just a game manager. A rookie QB needs an Oline, TE, and RB to give him the time to learn the game and protect him. Blow all your draft capital on QBs ,and you have nothing left to rebuild a team. It would take another  3-4 to do so without draft capital we have this year. This is a team sport and a QB is only one player. We are not just one QB away from a Superbowl, far from it with all our holes.

I want them to draft a top QB prospect, but if there isn't one available, McCarron and 4 picks in the top 56 could be a pretty nice influx of talent (say, 2 d-linemen, a LB, and a WR)  that could really change the face of this team quick. The last draft was pretty good, and I think they know what they are doing, draft-wise.

6 hours ago, simpleman said:

You realize that you are condemning this team to 3 to 4 years of non competitive play that way. With the major holes this management has ripped into the skill level of the team to get draft capital, then you spend it all on trading for a QB and trading up. You 'might" get a QB, but won't have an Oline or a Dline to support him. Smith needs a strong cast around him to win. He is a game manager, a good one, but still is just a game manager. A rookie QB needs an Oline, TE, and RB to give him the time to learn the game and protect him. Blow all your draft capital on QBs ,and you have nothing left to rebuild a team. It would take another  3-4 to do so without draft capital we have this year. This is a team sport and a QB is only one player. We are not just one QB away from a Superbowl, far from it with all our holes.

While I hear you, I do not think these moves condemn the team to non competitive play. Beane is focused on sustained success, and while our roster has holes, the core of the roster is pretty good. We have tight ends in Clay and O'Leary, our o-line is serviceable (Mills and Ducasse need replacements) and we have one of the best RB of all time. A healthy Kelvin Benjamin with a second year Zay Jones in the slot and FA receiver like Donte Moncrief gives  a young quarterback enough weapons. This team lacks depth more than having glaring holes. 

Sustained success comes with a true franchise quarterback. It shows foresight and a future path. Signing AJ McCarron or drafting Mason Rudolph simply spins wheels and sticks on band aids. Is McCarron better than Tyrod? Is Rudolph better than Peterman? I just don't see it.