Best sub or hoagy ever

Kelly the Dog

Long story. 

But when I was in Vietnam a few years ago-  I had a giant fried fish sandwich cooked by an old lady street vendor. 

With the freshest French Baguette, cucumbers and chilies and some light sauce. 

When I say huge - I mean HUGE. It was twice as wide and 50% longer than a subway foot long. 

Cost?  25 cents. 

16 minutes ago, Bakin said:

Long story. 

But when I was in Vietnam a few years ago-  I had a giant fried fish sandwich cooked by an old lady street vendor. 

With the freshest French Baguette, cucumbers and chilies and some light sauce. 

When I say huge - I mean HUGE. It was twice as wide and 50% longer than a subway foot long. 

Cost?  25 cents. 

Bahn mi.  Basically a Vietnamese hoagie on a baguette made from rice flour.  I had one similar to the one you describe, but this one had pork meat balls.  Was amazing.

13 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Bahn mi.  Basically a Vietnamese hoagie on a baguette made from rice flour.  I had one similar to the one you describe, but this one had pork meat balls.  Was amazing.

Yeah this was unusual as it was just fried fish. Normally the banh mi I had were with pork or beef. 

I can’t find the pictures of this sandwich. It was epic. 

Nam was an amazing place for unexpectedly great sandwiches (and just food overall). 

Edit: found this pic but no pic of the actual sandwich. Also pho for breakfast and easily the best coffee I’ve had in the world. 

6006CC71-9C92-4180-9299-867AEFA7F06B.jpeg

06DE21F7-1C35-4E05-98D0-B1B707E06263.jpeg

Edited by Bakin
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Bakin said:

Yeah this was unusual as it was just fried fish. Normally the banh mi I had were with pork or beef. 

I can’t find the pictures of this sandwich. It was epic. 

Nam was an amazing place for unexpectedly great sandwiches (and just food overall). 

Edit: found this pic but no pic of the actual sandwich. Also pho for breakfast and easily the best coffee I’ve had in the world. 

6006CC71-9C92-4180-9299-867AEFA7F06B.jpeg

06DE21F7-1C35-4E05-98D0-B1B707E06263.jpeg

A big bowl of pho and a Vietnamese coffee with condensed milk is my go-to hangover meal.  Love the stuff.

• Like (+1) 2

On Friday, January 19, 2018 at 8:57 AM, Gugny said:

Even in my little hometown, I've found the best subs are from corner stores.  There were two that made excellent subs.  One closed down years ago; the other, I just saw yesterday, abruptly closed its doors and put the business up for sale.

I like a nice Italian mixed, toasted, with banana peppers.

Another favorite is one I learned from an ex many years ago.  Roast beef, provolone, LTO, a little Italian dressing and bacon.  There's a small pizza shop - Amore - in my town that makes great subs.  Their rolls are the perfect softness, which is why I like them so much.

Yep.  Momberger's in Geneva fits that bill.  It's a very little hole in the wall type place that seems to have gone through a time machine directly from 1935.  But the subs are awesome.  Very good roast beef.

44 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Portillo's Italian Beef... caveat - had it last several years ago. No idea if it's still as good, but it was really fine.

Al's is good too... Or any Chicago style Italian Beef joint.

I will again throw in the "combo" it's the Italian Beef with an Italian sausage (link, not patty... Royal Sub should use a patty).

Either: Dry, Wet, or Dipped.  I like it wet... Like my ladies.  Wait, can I say that here? :D

Oh... Hot and sweet too.  Giardiniera that is. w/Mozzarella.  You know, the "calorie buster special!" :D

Back to the sandwich debate.  Probably gives Hammersticks' agument a leg to stand on... They do call it a "combo" for a reason.  ??? ;)

• Like (+1) 1

I used to get the same sub every time at John and Mary’s....but I’m not sure which one! Their menu looks like the one they hand me at the Cheesecake Factory compared to what I remember. Now, if Uber Eats only had some express service to Atlanta,  I’d order one of each and try to figure it out. 

10 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

The best sub in the world is the steak and cheese from Viola's in Niagara Falls. Thin sliced Ribeye steak, white American cheese, a crusty hard roll from the Portage bakery, topped with GEM oil, salt, pepper and oregano.

Perfection.

Oh, and tipping is not a city in China.

Oregano, a truly under used spice.   Makes a Subway meatball sub go from meh, to wow.

It is my belief that the croque madame, banh mi, and gyro are the finest sandwiches in the world.

However the best individual sandwich I had is a 1# prime rib sandwich with a horseradish sauce from Benny's in Centerbrook CT.  They would sell out by noon every day.  It was only like 11$ too.  Sadly Benny's got bought out a couple years ago and is already out of business.  But that was a phenomenal grinder!

6 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

The steak bomber from Campi's

Steak, sauteed peppers and onions, provolone, hot sauce on a roll the size of your head.

Adam Richman from man vs food went there.

Dont like too much bread..kills a sammy, any sammy, in my opinion.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:03 PM, Kelly the Dog said:

As a companion piece to the Pizzeria thread, what is the best sub you have ever had?

My favorite is the Super Royal from John and Mary's, with a close second being a double steak, cheese and sweet peppers from Jim's Steakout.

Mine was the meatball parm from Fera's on the Boulevard but Barb always went  for the chicken finger sub from John & Mary's

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:24 PM, Kelly the Dog said:

There was and maybe still is one like that in the Green Acres area of Tonawanda on Niagara Falls Blvd near the freeway entrance called Mayback's. They had amazing huge subs back in the day.

Mayback's is still there - highly rated for the fish frys

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Has anybody ever had a Jersey Mike's sub? I wouldn't expect them to be great but all of a sudden I see advertisement for them all over tv and on facebook.  I guess it has at least peaked a curiosity in me

There is another, I think national, or at least semi-national: Penn Station "East Coast Subs"... South, MidWest.

Not bad, but pricey.

Penn_Station_logo.png

3 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Has anybody ever had a Jersey Mike's sub? I wouldn't expect them to be great but all of a sudden I see advertisement for them all over tv and on facebook.  I guess it has at least peaked a curiosity in me

It's light years ahead of a typical fast food joint. I actually enjoy the #5 I think it is, and I very rarely eat fast food. I used to work near one, and that was by far the best place around. I may even go there for my next lunch! 

It’s no Subway, and I mean that in a good way. 

6 hours ago, Augie said:

It's light years ahead of a typical fast food joint. I actually enjoy the #5 I think it is, and I very rarely eat fast food. I used to work near one, and that was by far the best place around. I may even go there for my next lunch! 

It’s no Subway, and I mean that in a good way. 

Sounds good, I'll have to keep an eye out next time I'm out of town since they don't have any WNY locations

16 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I have had several and I think they suck. Very average in taste and too expensive for what you get.

That said, the steak sub is the exception, and pretty decent if you put a bunch of other crap on it.

6 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

AS EII pointed out(as did I in like the second post of this thread), Penn Station is far and away the best of the national chains.

Oops... Long thread.  :P I am old, forgetful.  You get attaboy! :D

I wish they were bigger... So damn tasty and a little on pricey side.

I am such a piggy! :D

BTW... They will make any sub you tell them.

I told them about the "Royal Sub" & the location here in Indiana tried to make it... Not bad, but they lack the Italian sausage in a big patty form.  But, they got the other stuff, capocollo, etc...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

13 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Oops... Long thread.  :P I am old, forgetful.  You get attaboy! :D

I wish they were bigger... So damn tasty and a little on pricey side.

I am such a piggy! :D

BTW... They will make any sub you tell them.

I told them about the "Royal Sub" & the location here in Indiana tried to make it... Not bad, but they lack the Italian sausage in a big patty form.  But, they got the other stuff, capocollo, etc...

I like, or love, Italian sausage in both link and patty form. If I had to choose one, I would say link.

But a Royal Sub, which is my favorite sub ever (actually a Super Royal which has twice the sausage), uses a patty. And it is not even close to being as good with a link.

And that can only mean one thing.

But I don't know what it is.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I like, or love, Italian sausage in both link and patty form. If I had to choose one, I would say link.

But a Royal Sub, which is my favorite sub ever (actually a Super Royal which has twice the sausage), uses a patty. And it is not even close to being as good with a link.

And that can only mean one thing.

But I don't know what it is.

I am not worthy!  I AM NOT worthy of this blessed post! 

:lol:

On 1/30/2018 at 12:55 PM, frostbitmic said:

The steak bomber from Campi's

Steak, sauteed peppers and onions, provolone, hot sauce on a roll the size of your head.

Adam Richman from man vs food went there.

Are they still around? Several awesome after bar closing eating binges ended up with a stop off there. Brings back memories. Yum. 

On 1/30/2018 at 1:07 PM, frostbitmic said:

It needs to be big to hold all of the steak, peppers, onions and cheese.

It's a sammy big enough to share.

Absolutely! Yuuuuge and more than a normal person should eat. :lol:

Back in my early days working in the medical campus(early 80's), a co-worker of mine swore by steak hoagies at a place called Scottie's on Jefferson near Best.  I always thought we were taking our life's in our hands going there after dark(co-worker was a "brother", so in some twisted way I felt safe), but they were always worth the risk.

I'm guessing the place hasn't been around in many years...or decades.

Edited...you never know what you will find when searching the internet

Edited by LabattBlue

Anybody been to Calabrasella in Gates (just west of Rochester)?  I took a year off before grad school and worked delivering furniture at a store on Lyell Ave.  My boss (my friend’s father) would send us here at least 3 times per week to get sandwiches for everyone.  Amazing home made bread which made the sandwiches.  I believe they made their Italian sausage in house as well.  Can’t remember the name, but I used to get this sub with Italian sausage and cappicola.  Yumm....

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2018 at 4:17 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

"Big Roz"

Roz's, S.Cheektowaga.

It's basically a "royal sub."

Try to explain that to people outside the NorthEast, and you won't be sure what to get.

Tried one of these today for the first time. Delicious. 

• Like (+1) 1

Johnny C's on Transit has exceptionally good subs. so good, that my wife and I will make the occasional drive up Transit and on a Saturday no less to partake.

jw

As for the best cheese steak had in Philly: Tony Luke's.

As for a very good non-Philly-like but Philly inspired cheese steak in Bufalo: Gabriel's Gate.

Edited by john wawrow