Why I Think the Smart Move is Pay to Get Cousins

Shaw66

1 hour ago, P51 said:

For what it’s worth...

Ive watched 75% or so of the skins games the last 10 years, I know a person with direct connections with the Skins front office (who agrees it is a mess and the only one with a clue was forced out in a power struggle, for being an “alcoholic” which could be said for many of those still running things), the owner hasn’t a clue and hires mostly yes men (should sound familiar), while meddling with things he shouldn’t. The organization is a mess and has been for years.

Everyone I know who I consider to football literate down here thinks Cousins is the only reason they make the playoffs, win 9,8,8 games instead of 5/6, 4/5, 4 games. I won’t get into injuries, drops and such...

I agree 100% he is not a top 5 guy and borderline top 10 is fair, IMO he’s raised that franchise out of drafting top 10 the last 3 years. 

I have no idea if Cousins would come to Buffalo, what I know of him, he’d fit right in with the City and coaching staff, and signing him and using the draft to team build around him is the best long term path to being legitimate Super Bowl contenders that I see.

Living in the Northern VA, I agree with P51.  Cousins would fit with Bills.  Real good guy and a real QB.  Both Shanahans thought he was the real deal which I think is good enough for me.  Of all the options that he'll have, I doubt he'll end up in Bflo.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not my issue that you lack in capacity to interpret it. Even the guy who posted "Get over yourself" got the point I was making. It seems as if you're too slow to grasp it.  All good though. 

Well, I will grant you this. I was stupid enough to get mixed up in an exchange with you. So maybe you have a point.

9 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Someone is pushing for a timeout 

Just what you need with your continual need to instigate and shadow me all over TSW looking for a response.  You should find something better to do. 

8 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Well, I will grant you this. I was stupid enough to get mixed up in an exchange with you. So maybe you have a point.

No one forced you to respond and my post wasn't directed at anyone.  So you provoked the exchange. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I'm fine with Cousins, he's been virtually a top 10 passer in the league since taking over as the starter but would his top choice be the Buffalo Bills? I'm sure he has to factor in living conditions/offensive line play and the WR's he'll be throwing to. I'd have to think realistically they'll be better options out there for him imo, will Washington even let him go?

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

This makes no sense.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You responded to my post remember.  March '17 of course. 

I'm going to explain this post to you. Warning your feelings may get hurt. March 2017 is when the BBMB was shutdown. I hope you are O.K. I know it's been 9 months but you may have not recovered yet. 

6 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Not meant to be a zing WEO just commenting.    

Why does losing tyrod bother you that much?  

It really doesn't.  I just didn't know why endless "what about Cousins" threads add anything new to the discussion that has been reproduced already for months.

• Like (+1) 1

The major pro-Cousins argument is that a young QB might fail and therefore acquiring someone more proven, even at a cost of 25M+ per reduces risk.

Being risk averse when looking for a QB is a defeatist mentality. The chance a young 1st or 2nd round rookie doesn't pan out will always be there. But spending 25M or more per season on a long term deal because one of your top picks might not work out is weak.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Cmdjr85 said:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

These are more accurate rankings for this years qbs from football outsiders

Define accurate....

this has Case Keemun as better than, well everybody not name Brady, Brees, or Rivers. Also has Blake Bortles as top half of the league....ahead of....effing Aaron Rodgers. 

Christ 

6 hours ago, McBean said:

IMO we have 2 options:

1. Sign Cousins like you said and build through draft.

2. Trade the house for the #2 overall pick and get Darnold or Rosen.

You forgot the ending for 2. 

Best at case scenario we hit on the number 2 pick. After taking a few years to recover from trading away 2 firsts this year, and a first next year, absolute minimum. We then have to work pay Darnold/Rosen, far more than 25 mil per year, because the cost of a QB will have gone up significantly. And we are having the same exact conversation we are now about what to do....

5 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

I've asked before why anyone thinks that Cousins would be more inclined to sign here as opposed to anywhere else. I still haven't heard a good answer to my question. I mean - Don't you think that the Jets, Broncos or Cardinals will be making Cousins big $$$ offers?

QB needy teams with more cap space than Buffalo.

Jets

Browns- A mess but the arrow might be pointing up. 

Texans Maybe. But probably not. Watson. 

Indy- So many reports on Luck. 

Vikings- God knows. They like Teddy.  

Redskins

How many of them are playoff teams? 

Before the cap goes up the next league year, this may change. The Bills are on the low end of affordability league wide. 33 million. I can’t imagine it is affordable for anybody else below that threshold. 

So his choices are Browns, crap shoot. Jets. Not as bad as people thought. Indy, may never happen, but maybe he chances McDaniels. Stay put in Washington, realistically. 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

I wouldn't mind Cousins coming here. People are saying he'd have a good RB in Shady to work with, but Shady isn't the only thing he'd have going for him. The thought of Cousins to Benjamin is every bit as intriguing, not to mention Clay as well.

A lot of people criticized Taylor for not trusting his receivers enough, but I don't believe that would be an issue with Cousins. If we go in to the draft and build up talent with our slew of picks, or even trade up for one of the top QBs, it'll massively make it quite an exciting off season

7 hours ago, P51 said:

For what it’s worth...

Ive watched 75% or so of the skins games the last 10 years, I know a person with direct connections with the Skins front office (who agrees it is a mess and the only one with a clue was forced out in a power struggle, for being an “alcoholic” which could be said for many of those still running things), the owner hasn’t a clue and hires mostly yes men (should sound familiar), while meddling with things he shouldn’t. The organization is a mess and has been for years.

Everyone I know who I consider to football literate down here thinks Cousins is the only reason they make the playoffs, win 9,8,8 games instead of 5/6, 4/5, 4 games. I won’t get into injuries, drops and such...

I agree 100% he is not a top 5 guy and borderline top 10 is fair, IMO he’s raised that franchise out of drafting top 10 the last 3 years. 

I have no idea if Cousins would come to Buffalo, what I know of him, he’d fit right in with the City and coaching staff, and signing him and using the draft to team build around him is the best long term path to being legitimate Super Bowl contenders that I see.

I certainly think this has been his best year. The last two though he cannot moan about the team around him. In 2015 and 2016 he had a top 10 offensive line (which he hasn't had this year as it has been decimated by injuries), one of the best Tight Ends in football (also missing this year with injury), and proven top flight receivers (who were allowed to walk in FA). They haven't had much in the running game but otherwise he was playing in very talented offenses.... and their D while not great is not a team sinking liability. 

I kind of worry a little that Kirk Cousins is a guy who wins 9 or 10 games with a good team around him and 7 or 8 wins with a bad team around him.... because for all his yards and touchdowns he has played small in big moments too often. 

Giving him the richest contract in football - which is what it will take - would not be the right move for the Bills in my opinion. The team who he makes most sense for is definitely Jacksonville who genuinely are a Cousins level QB from being every year Superbowl contenders. 

• Like (+1) 1

If they can get him here I am all for it. Cousins isn't elite level but I believe he is top third level.  We have a ton of picks and if the GM is any good they can surround him with good young players.  Shore up the oline, get a speedy receiver, and get a good pass rusher in here this team should be able to compete.

5 hours ago, BillsVet said:

The major pro-Cousins argument is that a young QB might fail and therefore acquiring someone more proven, even at a cost of 25M+ per reduces risk.

Being risk averse when looking for a QB is a defeatist mentality. The chance a young 1st or 2nd round rookie doesn't pan out will always be there. But spending 25M or more per season on a long term deal because one of your top picks might not work out is weak.

Spending 25+ mil on a QB is less hindering to a team then spending a crap load of top draft picks to get one of those QBs that may or may not work out.  If we were picking at the top of the draft, I might agree with you.  The Bills would have to spend a kings ransom to get to the top of the draft this year.  Doing that and picking the wrong guy would set this team back another decade.

A team can get over the cap expenditures.  It can not get past wasting a ton of draft picks.

12 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

Then have 15 mill to sign our rookies and fill all our other holes?

Cap increase, tyrod gone, other cuts, tons of dead cap money gone next year. Cap space isnt an issue. Some Bills fans want a franchise qb so bad but dont want to pay the price to get one. 

12 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Not saying this reflects my opinion, but reading this thread made me think to go to PFF and see their 2017 rankings:

7. Smith: 85.9

12. Taylor: 84.1 

20. Cousins: 78.9

If it wasnt your opinion why would you post it then. According to these stats we should be able to get atleast a first round pick for tyrod then, hopefully other gms use pff to grade players talent