Why I Think the Smart Move is Pay to Get Cousins

Shaw66

I hope they make a strong play for Cousins.  I feel if he can find a franchise with the right GM/Coach in place, he could have a very similar career to Drew Brees. 

The Redskins were a mess this year, everywhere except QB.

Pryor sucked, the run game sucked, their defense SUCKED (T-5th worst at 388 total points allowed, with the GIANTS...), and his top pass target is probably the most injury prone player in the league (Jordan Reed).  

In his first 3 full seasons as a starter he has gone for 81 TDS to 36 INTS with a QB Ratings of 101.6, 97.2, and 93.2 while surpassing 4,000 yards in every season (nearly 5K last year).  The "regression" if you can even call it this year, falls on the team they put around him.

He's also had 13 Rushing TDS in those three seasons as well, only ONE shy of Tyrod, but Cousins can actually sling it as well. Obviously he's not the runner Tyrod is, but he does have a knack for finding pay dirt with his legs if he has to it seems.

Go back and look at some of Brady's #'s in his first DECADE as a starter. It wasn't until 07 that he really started going off... Prior to that his numbers were very average, and not very "GOAT-ish".

Edited by ThunderGun

43 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Same with those extra picks. They're ours. If we don't use them on a QB they don't disappear, they can be used to fill any position on the team. In fact, we got them by creating holes on this team, particularly at WR, holes that are still there. We have serious needs on this team that could be addressed in the draft but won't be if we use those picks on a QB.

Equally the team we have now is the team we have now and the people who are no longer here are not relevant. This team was a 9-7 playoff team. The extra ammunition we have is in this draft. If we use the extra ammunition to get up and take a shot at solving the most important position on the field then we still have our usual stock of draft picks this year and next year to plug the normal number of holes you can fix in a single draft. Even if you get the QB pick wrong it only sets you back for the 2 or 3 years you spend trying to develop that Quarterback. It doesn't deplete your 2019 or 2020 team building draft opportunities. 

I actually think it is the lower risk strategy. If you go the draft route you have to hit on ONE pick albeit the most important one. Get it right you have so many ways over the next 4 or 5 years to fill out the roster around him. If you go the Cousins route you have to hit on multiple picks to put a competitive team around him because we have already agreed he isn't a Quarterback who wins despite his supporting cast and the draft becomes pretty much your only route to filling the other key holes at DT, DE, LB, OL, WR etc... because you are back in a very tight salary cap spot that is going to stop you doing much to fill those gaps with vets. 

Edited by GunnerBill

5 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

4 years/ 100 mil go get it done 

No chance that gets it done. Absolutely none. He is going to get $28m a year, maybe more. Stafford got $27m a year ago, the cap is going up, and Cousins is going to have multiple suitors. $25m a year doesn't even get you a seat at the negotiating table. 

I only read the OP, but I totally agree.  Get Cousins -- money isn't the issue -- and then use those draft picks to build the roster and the Bills will be a legitimate threat for the next 5-6 seasons while they work on getting the next QB.

It really is the win now and win later strategy.  Cousins is a guy who will embrace "the process" and he's a fiery, tough competitor.

14 hours ago, The Drought said:

Over 13,000 yards, 81td's and 36int's over the last 3 seasons.

He made somewhere around $20mil in 2016 and $23mil in 2017.

No matter who signs him, it will be expensive.

which is the going rate for a starting QB.  Unless you ate TB and make the $ up on the side with quackery supported by the owner