McDermott got the most out of a largely limited roster

The reason why the Bills today today was pretty simple.  The weakness of this Bills team in 2017 were magnified.  In the end a great performance by the defense, could not overcome an anemic offense, specifically QB, offensive play calling, lack of talent at WR, and overall depth.  Yes the defense did get burned by Blake Bortles too many times on the ground but at the end of the day they surrendered 10 points.  Tim Graham tweeted out a stat that since 1941 playoff teams that give up between 9-12 point, end up winning 83% of the time. 

With that being said, as frustrating as losing to a team that the Bills could have beaten today, it doesn't take away from the fact that the 2017 Bills team completely overachieved given the talent on this roster.  When a jagoff like "Miserable" Mike Schoop and his lackey The Laptop Chris Parker says "nothing's changed with the Bills," that's where I disagree.  Sure it's a down year for the AFC and that factored into the Bills success.  But the bottom line is that this year's team won a few more games that previous squads would have lost down the stretch.  In my opinion the reason for that was coaching.

Let's take a look at the Bills roster - outside of a few outlier it's frighteningly average.  We all know about the limitations of a QB like Tyrod Taylor, at least in this offense.  But outside of Kelvin Benjamin who many consider to be more of a #2 WR than #1, the rest of the Bills WR's definitely don't start on most rosters.  That includes a Jordan Matthews who is likely a 3rd option as a slot WR.

Take a look at the offensive line - while the Bills ran the ball well this year as a unit it's fairly average.  In fact, Pro Football Focus rated our starting offensive as "average" this year.   Players like Richie Incognito and Eric Wood that Bills fan consider solid, did not stand out:

LT Dawkins 77.7 (Average)   

LG Incognito 79.1 (Average)

C Wood 70.7 (Average)

RG Ducasse 74.4 (Average)

RT Mills 66.9 (Below Average)

Finally the defense.  It's a wonder that this unit held Jacksonville to as few yards rushing today as it did.  Kyle Williams plays with heart but he's not the player he once was.  Take Jerry Hughes out of the equation and again, most of the front 7 probably doesn't start on most teams.  Yes some like Preston Brown might start on a few teams, but for the most part the Bills front 7 was filled with players that would be depth/situational players on most rosters.  And outside of your starters, your depth is basically non-existent.    

Yet despite a very average roster the Bills won enough games to make it to the playoffs.  Yes they did get lucky in Baltimore, but you can point to situations in any year where that occurs.  The bottom line is I think we have a lot to be optimistic in with Beane and McDermott.  I'm hoping to see a brand new offense and QB next season. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Well said - I believe even the most die hard Tyrod fan has to admit - just HAS to admit he cost them the game - just too many passes sailed over the heads of our D3 Wideouts.  Holy crap Jordan Matthews?!?!?  Where art tho Zay Jones???  And don't even get me started on KB - more than likely he is hurt and playing hurt - I ma hoping for more from him next year.  This in my opinion was similar to the Cincy loss in the playoffs waaaaaaaaay back in 88.  Sadly the talent level is NO WHERE near that team.

The D impressed me - as succinctly stated above they played over their heads today.

Was a bummer to see them lose but really I wasn't surprised at the score nor the result.  It is time for Tyrod and Dennison to part ways....adios, nice knowing you.  I firmly believe that Sean can coach up whatever BB delivers to him.  Should be an interesting off season, some heads will roll - some peeps will go and some new faces will arrive.  The secondary was lights out this year.

Sadly the D and Shady were the only ones to show up today.

Go Bills

Not exaggerating at all when I say Tre White was this defense's Josh Norman and that combined with solid safety play and a decent pass rush was why we were fairly solid on D.  

I'll go as far to say that after McCoy, White is this team's MVP.

They freaking nailed that pick.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, billspro said:

McDermott did a great job this year getting the most out of his defence. 

I would like him to find an OC that gets the most out of their offence. 

I'm not worried about that, honestly. We see all the passes that are left out on the field.

I would like him to find a QB that gets the most out of their offense. They have fine talent at receiver and TE. If Matthews stays, him KB, Jones and Thompson, plus Clay and O'Leary. That's a good group.

I don't think these guys want to learn a new offense. They've built a solid foundation this year. Let's have some consistency for once.

3 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

The reason why the Bills today today was pretty simple.  The weakness of this Bills team in 2017 were magnified.  In the end a great performance by the defense, could not overcome an anemic offense, specifically QB, offensive play calling, lack of talent at WR, and overall depth.  Yes the defense did get burned by Blake Bortles too many times on the ground but at the end of the day they surrendered 10 points.  Tim Graham tweeted out a stat that since 1941 playoff teams that give up between 9-12 point, end up winning 83% of the time. 

With that being said, as frustrating as losing to a team that the Bills could have beaten today, it doesn't take away from the fact that the 2017 Bills team completely overachieved given the talent on this roster.  When a jagoff like "Miserable" Mike Schoop and his lackey The Laptop Chris Parker says "nothing's changed with the Bills," that's where I disagree.  Sure it's a down year for the AFC and that factored into the Bills success.  But the bottom line is that this year's team won a few more games that previous squads would have lost down the stretch.  In my opinion the reason for that was coaching.

Let's take a look at the Bills roster - outside of a few outlier it's frighteningly average.  We all know about the limitations of a QB like Tyrod Taylor, at least in this offense.  But outside of Kelvin Benjamin who many consider to be more of a #2 WR than #1, the rest of the Bills WR's definitely don't start on most rosters.  That includes a Jordan Matthews who is likely a 3rd option as a slot WR.

Take a look at the offensive line - while the Bills ran the ball well this year as a unit it's fairly average.  In fact, Pro Football Focus rated our starting offensive as "average" this year.   Players like Richie Incognito and Eric Wood that Bills fan consider solid, did not stand out:

C Wood 70.7 (Average)

Finally the defense.  It's a wonder that this unit held Jacksonville to as few yards rushing today as it did.  Kyle Williams plays with heart but he's not the player he once was.  Take Jerry Hughes out of the equation and again, most of the front 7 probably doesn't start on most teams.  Yes some like Preston Brown might start on a few teams, but for the most part the Bills front 7 was filled with players that would be depth/situational players on most rosters.  And outside of your starters, your depth is basically non-existent.    

Yet despite a very average roster the Bills won enough games to make it to the playoffs.  Yes they did get lucky in Baltimore, but you can point to situations in any year where that occurs.  The bottom line is I think we have a lot to be optimistic in with Beane and McDermott.  I'm hoping to see a brand new offense and QB next season. 

Agreed.  Not extremely disappointed today with the loss.  Felt we were playing with house money, especially with all the trades and injuries.  And to get the playoff jinx off our back was huge.

This team has a ton of tools and the right coach and GM for the job.  This doesn't feel like years past where we went into the off season not sure whether were heading up or down.  We are heading up.

Tre White is the real deal.  And we got him in the late first.  We'll get a vet QB and probably draft 3 starters this spring.  

I'm very happy about the direction this team is heading in.  That supersedes today's loss.  Our goal isn't to be a 9-7 team.  It's to be 12+ wins and consistently in the hunt for the Lombardi.  Based on this past year, McD and Beane have the potential to get us there.

They know they need a big upgrade at QB. I just hope they don't bite on a slight improvement and shoot for the stars. Maybe they'll miss, but they have to try. My dream scenario is 2 1st rounders plus ? for Luck, but that's never going to happen. Tyrod may stay for another year if they want to develop a rookie, but we'll have another signal caller soon for better or worse. Let's hope Beane has a sharp eye for talent.

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

After reading your post OP are we supposed to be optimistic for next season? You're basically saying we have a ton of holes and it's a miracle McDermott got us to the playoffs. That doesn't sound like a recipe for success for next year. 

Sounds like he's saying wait until he has a good roster and see that he can do, since he got this lowly roster to the playoffs with some luck, but also with heart, teamwork, and grit.

This is step one. They traded everyone away and cut the cap, now let them get the players and build the team. Getting to the playoffs gives McD credibility in the locker room, and gives his process (at least perceived) legitimacy. He will be given years to enact his vision. For once we will get to see it play out and not just fire him after year 2.

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Not exaggerating at all when I say Tre White was this defense's Josh Norman and that combined with solid safety play and a decent pass rush was why we were fairly solid on D.  

I'll go as far to say that after McCoy, White is this team's MVP.

They freaking nailed that pick.

AND traded down to get the best player in the draft AND got an extra 1st round pick. Best draft day move since that blockbuster trade that brought Biscuit here.

No expected them to win the Super Bowl.

They finally backed into the playoffs after 17 years...bout time. I think they are on a good track, but many players that are adequately filling spots are old, and by the time the next QB is up to speed, players like Rogers, Alexander, Williams, Incognito, and McCoy will be on the far side of the hill.

As an aside, what is a "Shaq Lawson"? Is he a football player, is he a uniform filler, is he a notch above Erik Flowers? Pfft.

Edited by OJABBA
mistake

8 hours ago, billspro said:

McDermott did a great job this year getting the most out of his defence. 

I would like him to find an OC that gets the most out of their offence. 

Plenty of them will be available in the coaching carnage that has happened.  It is up to finding one that wants to come up North.

39 minutes ago, Dorkington said:

He and Beane also got rid of plenty of talented players in said "process", so he's not blameless for a lack of talent. 

And they are ??

Watkins -  Who did nothing in LA

Dareus -    Who is a situational player 

Darby -    Did not play more than 1/2 the season

Replaced by:

Mathews -  Equally Injured

Benjamin -  Injured 

and a bunch of scrubs!!!

10 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

C Wood 70.7 (Average)

This is a terrific post! You are astute, perspicacious and adroit.

You clearly laid out the current picture and the big picture. Without a doubt this team played beyond its limited talent level. You are very well attuned to what is going on. I salute you for this smart and clearly expressed post.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

No, Roman & Lynn did that.

true to a point, but the others never did enough to end the drought. 

• TT had similar stagnant 4th QRT production with Roman & Lynn
  • TT was still missing open guys with Roman & Lynn
  • TT has pretty much always been tentative when passing with Roman & Lynn
  • TT took too many sacks with Roman & Lynn

McDermott  improved the defense, especially the backfield.  That is what propelled this team imo.  

I know you are a Taylor guy, but even now you have to see that he isn't the answer and its time to move on.  

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

true to a point, but the others never did enough to end the drought. 

• TT had similar stagnant 4th QRT production with Roman & Lynn
  • TT was still missing open guys with Roman & Lynn
  • TT has pretty much always been tentative when passing with Roman & Lynn
  • TT took too many sacks with Roman & Lynn

McDermott  improved the defense, especially the backfield.  That is what propelled this team imo.  

The offense, led by Tyrod, was top 10 under the first 2 guys, and 26th under the new guy. Don't be dense.

Many of the folks supporting Tyrod said we could make the Playoffs with improved (read consistent) defensive performance. McD improved the D, but Dennison regressed the O and we still made the playoffs. Imagine if the Offensive scheme was kept in tact this year, not that we had the deep threat to keep the explosive plays up.

Agreed.  The Bills performed up to the level of their collective skill sets.  That alone is reason for optimism because it gives the GM and head coach a real good idea where they need to upgrade the talent level.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

The offense, led by Tyrod, was top 10 under the first 2 guys, and 26th under the new guy. Don't be dense.

Many of the folks supporting Tyrod said we could make the Playoffs with improved (read consistent) defensive performance. McD improved the D, but Dennison regressed the O and we still made the playoffs. Imagine if the Offensive scheme was kept in tact this year, not that we had the deep threat to keep the explosive plays up.

I could say the same to you. 

Every year the NFL changes.  What goes up will come down.   

Freaking Blake Bortles out Taylored Taylor.  TT has lost a step.  I'm sorry if that bothers you, but that is what happened.  

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I could say the same to you. 

Every year the NFL changes.  What goes up will come down.   

Freaking Blake Bortles out Taylored Taylor.  TT has lost a step.  I'm sorry if that bothers you, but that is what happened.  

Oh please. Do you really need a reminder? You said 

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

McDermott got the most out of a largely limited QB.

Which is the opposite of true. Tyrod had his worst year as a starter. That's not getting the most out of a player.

I understand though. As long as Tyrod is here nobody else on the roster can be held accountable. Can't wait to see your next scapegoat!

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

The lack of skill position talent is a bigger concern than the QB position IMO.  I'm not sure why people think Alex Smith is going to do anything with what we have, we have no one near the talent of Tyreek Hill or Travis Kelce.  Smith opened the year great because defenses underestimated Kareem Hunt and his ability opened everything up, once D's adjusted and overplayed Hunt, everything tightened up on Smith and he crashed back to earth.  The same thing would happen here with Shady and our lack of outside talent.

11 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

C Wood 70.7 (Average)

Who the Hell is Jerry Hughes you are talking about? Did he play this year?

OP is right. The roster was stripped down from many of its most talented players. I have no issue with that as the Bills are headed in a different direction and have saved cap space. McDermott did an excellent job of having his team prepared to play each week. He also brought in and kept a bunch of veteran players to change the culture and having players be accountable to their teammates. Many of the veterans are aging and are on the decline as far as talent goes. They will need to be replaced. Offensively, this team needs some playmakers. We need a Kamara type RB to go with McCoy and a speed threat (Cook/Hill type) at wr. This team lacked explosive plays because it has no explosive players. McCoy is shifty but he is not running away from defenders for long runs and the best deep threat this team has is Thompson and he has been a journeyman for other organizations. We just need to hit in free agency on some offensive players like we did with Poyer and Hyde this past year. Then, we will need to have another solid draft. We may not get to become a true contender until 2019. Just keep adding and getting better as the HC likes to say. 

Edited by racketmaster

17 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Oh please. Do you really need a reminder? You said 

Which is the opposite of true. Tyrod had his worst year as a starter. That's not getting the most out of a player.

I understand though. As long as Tyrod is here nobody else on the roster can be held accountable. Can't wait to see your next scapegoat!

I know what I said  -  imo TT is a limited QB

• He regressed because he did not fit the system.
  • He couldn't follow the process and adapt into playing a QB with pocket presence.
  • Wide open guys cant catch it when he doesn't see them or over throws them.

It's McDermott's team not Taylor's team.  

If you took a poll I'm pretty sure that 90%  would agree that TT is a limited QB

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

C Wood 70.7 (Average)

Here's my problem with the overall very reasonable assessment:  the Bills roster was largely a self-inflicted wound. 

Consider just WR:

Let walk or traded:

Robert Woods: allowed to walk.  Cap hit this year is $7M.  Looks to be well worth it

Marquise Goodwin: Cap hit this year is $3.25 M.  54 receptions for 934 yds, 17.3 YPA - and that's with CJ Beathard and Brian Hoyer throwing to him. 

His hands still not the best, but 50/50 better odds than most of our current crop.

Sammy Watkins: quiet this year in LA, but he had it going on with Taylor end of last year. 

Kelvin Benjamin: available for 6 of 9 games since trade, 2 games lost to injury

Zay Jones: not performing as expected for a 2nd round pick we traded up to get, only available for 10 games

Jordan Matthews: only available 7 games, missed 2 games then last 4 + playoffs

Deonte Thompson: played every game since signed, but very low catch percentage and stupid penalties

The team clearly downgraded both in terms of production and durability.  Their own draft pick, Zay Jones, has underperformed half a dozen later selections on a per-target, per-reception basis, including WR targets of some pretty sketchy QB.  It speaks volumes that he was scratched in favor of Deonte Thompson, a mid-season cut from a mediocre team.  Does anyone think that Robert Woods couldn't have been a difference maker in yesterday's game?  Yes, Taylor is not good enough, but relative to last year we just don't have as many guys getting separation.  Is that the guys?  Is it Dennison's scheme?  His playcalling?  Don't know. 

I could do similar assessment with RB and OL.  The point is: these coaches have had a lot to do with the roster already, good and bad.  And sometimes it's been bad.

Now, maybe they have "a master plan" and this is all part of the master plan.  Maybe the Zay Jones assessment was based on flawed scout holdovers of the previous regime.  We'll wait and see, but so far the best I can say for this regime's superior talent evaluation and acquisition is "not yet proven".

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Well said - I believe even the most die hard Tyrod fan has to admit - just HAS to admit he cost them the game - just too many passes sailed over the heads of our D3 Wideouts.  Holy crap Jordan Matthews?!?!?  Where art tho Zay Jones???  And don't even get me started on KB - more than likely he is hurt and playing hurt - I ma hoping for more from him next year.  This in my opinion was similar to the Cincy loss in the playoffs waaaaaaaaay back in 88.  Sadly the talent level is NO WHERE near that team.

Unclear a bit what you mean.  Do you mean Taylor is the sole, or the largest factor?  I don't think I'm a die-hard TT fan, I see his limitations and flaws, but I don't agree.

Was TT a big part of the loss?  Yes.

Was he the sole factor that cost them the game?  No.  The WR/TE made mistakes (batting a pass up, penalties, stepping OOB before a catch) and dropped a number of catchable balls.  When Romo is sitting in the booth saying "that was actually a good throw by Taylor, he's got to catch that" and when the couch duffers like myself can see other WR pulling in far higher degree of difficulty balls - it's not just on the QB.

Then there's the play calling.  I may actually see if I can get a trial and look at all 22 on this one though I've become quite...Hapless about coach's film the last 3 years and probably someone else will do good deep-dive assessments.

As you said, the D showed up, McCoy showed up - I will add, the OL showed up for the most part - Taylor and the WR did not.  And I'm not clear that Dennison can show up. 

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

14 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I know what I said  -  imo TT is a limited QB

• He regressed because he did not fit the system.
  • He couldn't follow the process and adapt into playing a QB with pocket presence.
  • Wide open guys cant catch it when he doesn't see them or over throws them.

It's McDermott's team not Taylor's team.  

If you took a poll I'm pretty sure that 90%  would agree that TT is a limited QB

So tell me; based on the points you outlined, how exactly did McD "get the most out of" his limited QB? Remember, that was the crappy point you made.

I agree with this post.

This roster features limited talent. We've got nothing on the DL, nothing at WR, limitations on the OL and LBs, and are really only strong with our starting RB, and in our secondary. 

With that said, McDermott's game management at the end of games throughout the season was pretty awful. Yesterday was particularly infuriating with our use of time outs and play calling late in the game. Over the last 3-4 minutes, I don't think any of McDermott's major coaching decisions did anything to help us win the game, and the waste of time outs could have certainly hurt us. 

He's obviously done a great job getting this team ready to play, and having them prepared to compete at a high level pretty much every game, but the game management decisions need to get a lot better for us to take a big step forward. This team looked nothing like the lazy, unprepared, undisciplined one we saw last season. The culture clearly changed. 

Overall this season was a rousing success in my eyes. The roster and coaches grossly overachieved, and with systems in place to build on going into next season with tons of draft picks and a boat load of cap space, we should be able to build upon what was accomplished this season. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

C Wood 70.7 (Average)

Stop making sense.

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I'm not going to argue endlessly with you today on the limitations of Tyrod Taylor.    Google Taylor's limitations and you can see for yourself that I am not making stuff up.  

Create a poll and let that be the final judge.  Is TT is a limited QB

Taylor gave 110% effort every game. Kudos for that but sadly his 110 is not god enough.

10 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

After reading your post OP are we supposed to be optimistic for next season? You're basically saying we have a ton of holes and it's a miracle McDermott got us to the playoffs. That doesn't sound like a recipe for success for next year. 

The Bills have a ton of holes on this team. It really is amazing they got to 9 wins.

Outside of McCoy and their secondary, they have little talent on this team

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

The Bills have a ton of holes on this team. It really is amazing they got to 9 wins.

Outside of McCoy and their secondary, they have little talent on this team

Fully agree.

This team grossly overachieved this year. Outside of McCoy, I don't think we really have any game changers on the roster.

Our secondary is solid, and our kicking game is excellent, but our defensive front seven is really poor, we have nothing at WR and our OL has some issues. 

Just now, jrober38 said:

Fully agree.

This team grossly overachieved this year. Outside of McCoy, I don't think we really have any game changers on the roster.

Our secondary is solid, and our kicking game is excellent, but our defensive front seven is really poor, we have nothing at WR and our OL has some issues. 

Agree as well, that's exactly how I see the Bills in terms of strengths/weaknesses

Just now, jrober38 said:

Fully agree.

I'm actually quite comfortable with KB at X and Zay in the Slot moving forward. I like Thompson as well, but more as a WR4. We need a solid Z that can take the top off a defense.

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I'm actually quite comfortable with KB at X and Zay in the Slot moving forward. I like Thompson as well, but more as a WR4. We need a solid Z that can take the top off a defense.

Benjamin gets a bit of a mulligan for me because he was injured, but I got very little faith in Zay.

I am not saying he is a bust yet, but he had an awful year

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I'm not.

Benjamin looked so slow out there. Multiple knee injuries appear to have taken a toll. He's huge, but he doesn't get any separation out there and I certainly wouldn't be committing any money to him long term. 

Thompson is fine as a #4 WR. Jones provided next to nothing this year and needs competition for his job. I know he was a rookie, but he was so bad. 

Of all the things I listed, you can probably get by with what we had at WR this year, next year, but long term I don't think this group is good enough. This offseason I think the priority will be rebuilding the defensive front seven with 3 or 4 new pieces. A couple defensive tackles, an end and a LB who can run are all priorities in my eyes. 

Our defense has the potential to be really good with some new impact players. I think that should be the priority this offseason, in addition to finding a QB.