McDermott - Better Lucky then Good?????

Something else when you come to think of it.  The Bill are in the playoffs.......  So take this thread for what it is.

Every second guess this year, bad decision, questionable call and I am convinced that McDermott was wrong, yet not once did it come back to bite him in the ass.....

He is the luckiest coach I've ever seen (outside Belicheck and officaal calls and reversals).

6 times (Mia x 2, KC, Atl, TB, Indy) the opposition had the ball with a chance to win at the end of the game and the Bills somehow survived after giving up leads and letting teams back in the second half and each time the Bills got a break, a turnover or somehow held on.

Think about it.....  Miami we trounced twice for 40 minutes and then tried to give them a chance to win.

TB we got a fumble and then by luck converted a third & 7 with again a run to ice it.  

Indy a missed fg, kicking from the 41, Brissett missing a wide open Hilton to give the Bills one more chance and 30 yards further to go,  and then Webb completing a 35 yd hail mary in the snow (yes I'll call it a hail mary). 

Atl missing on 4th & 3 from the 7 (and a PI missed on the play).

KC another Int.

I really can see the Bills up 13-0 vs. Jax and again trying to eat clock the entire second half and Bortles throwing another game ending int.....

Let's hope it lasts another week and then it is NE again.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

....whoa is me...I forgot the TBD "One & Done Gang" does NOT exclude rookie HC's......certainly his rabbit's foot, rosary beads, Christian faith and daily trips to church HAD to make him lucky......after all, expecting a rook HC NOT to make mistakes, and the same damn ones his peers of 10+ years STILL make is borderline blasphemy......guess we're just as lucky to have you posting this crap....good Lord and I thought I had heard it all.......thank God school is back in session on Tuesday...SMH.......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

If you're really good, you don't need luck.

The Bills are pretty good. They took care of business as well as they could, but still needed a few lucky breaks.

It's better to be good than to be lucky.

Yeah, I disagreed with many game-time decisions that McD made, but instead of saying "He was lucky," I'm simply acknowledging that he's a better HC than I am.

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Agree with you Teef.  

Thank Marvin, Dalton and Boyd lol

absolutely.  the bills needed help, and i'm more than ok with that.  we've been on the wrong side of the luck spectrum for so long, that i don't care how it happens.  the teams and fans deserve this.  this staff put the bills in position to go to the playoffs, we had help, and for the first time in forever we get to see a game in january.  i know the op doesn't like mcd, and that's ok, but i'm not going to chalk this entire season up to luck.  if he wants to, that's on him.

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Something else when you come to think of it.  The Bill are in the playoffs.......  So take this thread for what it is.

Every second guess this year, bad decision, questionable call and I am convinced that McDermott was wrong, yet not once did it come back to bite him in the ass.....

He is the luckiest coach I've ever seen (outside Belicheck and officaal calls and reversals).

6 times (Mia x 2, KC, Atl, TB, Indy) the opposition had the ball with a chance to win at the end of the game and the Bills somehow survived after giving up leads and letting teams back in the second half and each time the Bills got a break, a turnover or somehow held on.

Think about it.....  Miami we trounced twice for 40 minutes and then tried to give them a chance to win.

TB we got a fumble and then by luck converted a third & 7 with again a run to ice it.  

Indy a missed fg, kicking from the 41, Brissett missing a wide open Hilton to give the Bills one more chance and 30 yards further to go,  and then Webb completing a 35 yd hail mary in the snow (yes I'll call it a hail mary). 

KC another Int.

I really can see the Bills up 13-0 vs. Jax and again trying to eat clock the entire second half and Bortles throwing another game ending int.....

And in past years, these things have gone against the Bills.  Enjoy the moment.

And I pointed out the NE games and the officiating and booth reviews.  

I am just stating that this run from McDermott is really unusual.....  I can't remember so many things going the Bills favour and where easily they could have lost 3-4 of those games, the Bills did not.

And in almost every case they let the other team back into games.

In 1987, Buffalo was 7-8 with THREE wins and ONE loss decided by Three points or less to finish fourth of five teams in the AFC East

In 1988 They were 12-4, with FIVE wins and ONE loss decided by Three points or less to finish first in the East. .

Jim Kelly and Marv Levy were both essentially rookies on those teams.

Was that luck or did they start to figure out how to turn the close games into victories? Just looking for opinions, not arguments. 0:)

Just now, rockpile said:

In 1987, Buffalo was 7-8 with THREE wins and ONE loss decided by Three points or less to finish fourth of five teams in the AFC East

In 1988 They were 12-4, with FIVE wins and ONE loss decided by Three points or less to finish first in the East. .

Jim Kelly and Marv Levy were both essentially rookies on those teams.

Was that luck or did they start to figure out how to turn the close games into victories? Just looking for opinions, not arguments. 0:)

Depends how they happened.

This year the opposing team had the ball and a chance to win on the last drive in each case and somehow the Bills won each time.  Only convincing wins were NYJ (week 1), Oakland & Denver, which were all at home against teams that won 5, 6 & 5 games.  

Only win vs. team with a winning record was Atl.....

On the other side, if Jones catches the final pass versus Carolina, Bills win.

Bills get an over ruling of a fumble return for a TD in Miami game.  If upheld, that game is over.

NE beats Pitt on a controversial catch/ no catch.

Bills have been lucky this year, but that what happens when you play close games.  A play here or there can decide it.

I never thought Bills would make it to the playoffs this year after all the personnel changes made.  Let's hope they don't have to depend on luck as this team continues to build and develop.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people can't enjoy EVEN ONE DAY OF HAPPINESS!! I know there is medicine for those like that..

but what is the point of "Bills are lucky and won some close games" when LITERALLY EVERY team in the league has done the same thing!

Some people grumble that roses have thorns; I am grateful that thorns have roses. So stop being a prick!

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, teef said:

you're complaining because the bills won a bunch of games closely.  it happens.  better teams come out on top.  this year the bills are one of the better teams.  

You are what your record says you are...where have I read that before? :lol: Oh I remember...when the Bills lose.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

It goes both ways. How about the times the ball bounced against us? Must hurt to only be able to see the empty half of the glass. 

(And it’s better lucky THAN good, unless we are going to be good right after we are lucky, in which case sign me up!)

Just now, aceman_16 said:

It never ceases to amaze me how some people can't enjoy EVEN ONE DAY OF HAPPINESS!! I know there is medicine for those like that..

but what is the point of "Bills are lucky and won some close games" when LITERALLY EVERY team in the league has done the same thing!

Some people grumble that roses have thorns; I am grateful that thorns have roses. So stop being a prick!

Trolls gotta troll.

37 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

KC another Int.

LOL.  THIS IS PATHETIC. 

THE BILLS WON DESPITE ENDLESS bull **** CALLS AND bull **** LUCK.  SO GROW SOME BALLS! 

Edited by nedboy7

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And I pointed out the NE games and the officiating and booth reviews.  

I am just stating that this run from McDermott is really unusual.....  I can't remember so many things going the Bills favour and where easily they could have lost 3-4 of those games, the Bills did not.

And in almost every case they let the other team back into games.

All the middling teams have a year that luck goes there way in a league with very even overall talent and then sneak into playoffs. This has alluded the Bills year after year.

The fact it took almost 18 years for Bills to have this year is the weirdness. Other teams have this year about every 5 or 6 years or so and don't have a 18 year drought.

Games we usually blow in the past (Falcons, Chiefs, Bucs, one of the Fins game) - we didn't.  Mostly because of a strong secondary as I lost track of how many pics preserved victories for us.  Having a -56 point differential usually doesn't get you into the playoffs, but the parity in the AFC let us squeak into the spot.  Beggars can't be choosers.  We're in.  The law of averages eventually prevailed. 

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

Read the first line of the thread.......  I was pointing out how amazing it was that everything went the Bills way at the end of games (even when they couldn't cover on-side kicks).....

The real point is that I do worry that McDermott thinks this is the key to winning as the Bills never seemed to get that one last score or first down to seal the game, and it came down to 3 picks, a fumble & missed 4th down (where a flag could have been thrown and would have if vs. NE)  to win.

I hope McDermott learns from this, but yes I doubt it......

55 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

KC another Int.

I'd prefer to think of it as a mental toughness that wasn't here in previous coaching staffs where instead of finding a way to make a play, they found a way to lose the game.  

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You are what your record says you are...where have I read that before? :lol: Oh I remember...when the Bills lose.

And you make your own luck.  

Generally, over a 16-game season, the breaks even out.   So it's unlikely that the Bills got here by luck.

The fact is that the Bills overcame a lot of adversity this season to put themselves in the positions to have the "luck" (as the OP calls it) to win.  The Bills had one of the worst three-game stretches you'll ever see in the NFL and followed that winning four must-win games, losing only to the Pats twice in that stretch.  Plenty of teams would have quit some place along the way.   Not these Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

And you make your own luck.  

Generally, over a 16-game season, the breaks even out.   So it's unlikely that the Bills got here by luck.

The fact is that the Bills overcame a lot of adversity this season to put themselves in the positions to have the "luck" (as the OP calls it) to win.  The Bills had one of the worst three-game stretches you'll ever see in the NFL and followed that winning four must-win games, losing only to the Pats twice in that stretch.  Plenty of teams would have quit some place along the way.   Not these Bills. 

Word. McDermott haters don't have a leg to stand on today, yet you see them still hobbling along, trying to hold up their flawed view.

18 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Read the first line of the thread.......  I was pointing out how amazing it was that everything went the Bills way at the end of games (even when they couldn't cover on-side kicks).....

The real point is that I do worry that McDermott thinks this is the key to winning as the Bills never seemed to get that one last score or first down to seal the game, and it came down to 3 picks, a fumble & missed 4th down (where a flag could have been thrown and would have if vs. NE)  to win.

I hope McDermott learns from this, but yes I doubt it......

Give McDermott his whole 5 years with the Bills. Let him and Beane build the team they want to build. They have already done what no one else has done in 17 years.

Give them the opportunity to succeed.

Why do we gotta play the "what if" game? The proof is right here in a January game against Jacksonville.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

If you're really good, you don't need luck.

The Bills are pretty good. They took care of business as well as they could, but still needed a few lucky breaks.

It's better to be good than to be lucky.

Yeah, I disagreed with many game-time decisions that McD made, but instead of saying "He was lucky," I'm simply acknowledging that he's a better HC than I am.

No matter how good you are you need luck, or at least you need to not have bad luck. Bad luck will do in a good team. The football gods planned it that way when they designed the game ball. You never know for sure how it will bounce. 

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

KC another Int.

Could be or the more likely scenario is that for all these times you think you know more than people who do this professionally for a living, you really don't. The truth is you just know much less than you think you know.

Just now, starrymessenger said:

No matter how good you are you need luck, or at least you need to not have bad luck. Bad luck will do in a good team. The football gods planned it that way when they designed the game ball. You never know for sure how it will bounce. 

'

How many times have the Patriots ended up winning the Super Bowl because of luck??

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

'

How many times have the Patriots ended up winning the Super Bowl because of luck??

The Patriots are the prime example of what happens when a great team and organization are also luckier (or maybe more corrupt lol) than other teams. The result is a dynasty (though I suspect the end is not far off).