Shady injury?

41 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

If no Shady, bring in Banyard. God I hope Shady can play.

Only way Shady wont suit up is if his legs amputated. I’d be willing to bet he’s out there next week. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Klaista2k said:

I know it's early but anyone know how serious McCoy's injury is?

Were really going to need him next Sunday. 

Besides the fact that it is a sprain, you aren't going to get anything out of OBD before about Wednesday.  For a time in the game he was questionable to return befor they downgraded him to out.  I don't know if that makes him more or less hopeful to start next week.

The problem is if he is close he will tell the coaches and trainers he can play. If his ankle isn't 80-90% he won't be able to be Shady. Our backups are weak. He's a fighter and extremely confident in his abilities. It's what I love about him. But there is a great chance that the sprain makes him unable to be Shady, and yet he believes and tells the coaches and trainers he can go. This is NOT a criticism of Shady. I think every competitor thinks the same way. But a sprained ankle sucks for a guy like him. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The problem is if he is close he will tell the coaches and trainers he can play. If his ankle isn't 80-90% he won't be able to be Shady. Our backups are weak. He's a fighter and extremely confident in his abilities. It's what I love about him. But there is a great chance that the sprain makes him unable to be Shady, and yet he believes and tells the coaches and trainers he can go. This is NOT a criticism of Shady. I think every competitor thinks the same way. But a sprained ankle sucks for a guy like him. 

If it’s high ankle sprain no way he plays if normal sprain lots of treatments can get him near 90%

9 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Against the Jags D, he may not have been able to be Shady either.  Agreed though. His style does not mesh well with nagging injuries like that.

6 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I am dreading the high ankle sprain. That could be like a 4-6 week injury. 

Doubt it's high.  The concern was a break, which would tend to be lower.

2 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Against the Jags D, he may not have been able to be Shady either.  Agreed though. His style does not mesh well with nagging injuries like that.

Doubt it's high.  The concern was a break, which would tend to be lower.

Yup. They are not only going to want to play him but listen to him. And I'm not at all thinking he is going to be lying about his injury, I just think if it is close he is going to think he can go. But no one is going to know. If he can't cut like he does he is not going to be worth it. 

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yup. They are not only going to want to play him but listen to him. And I'm not at all thinking he is going to be lying about his injury, I just think if it is close he is going to think he can go. But no one is going to know. If he can't cut like he does he is not going to be worth it. 

Well maybe, maybe not.  If he's 90%, but not Shady, the Jags aren't going to be betting on that, at least not early.  Get him a couple carries, motion him out, do unique things to use his rep to stress that Jags D.  Even at 90%, I like Shady's chances versus Telvin (I think he's not hurt, right?) in the open field.  The Jags will still have to respect him.

But those 3 yard passes to the flat where he makes two guys miss for an extra couple won't happen.  Rico is going to have to make some magic.

Edited by jmc12290

3 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Well maybe, maybe not.  If he's 90%, but not Shady, the Jags aren't going to be betting on that, at least not early.  Get him a couple carries, motion him out, do unique things to use his rep to stress that Jags D.  Even at 90%, I like Shady's chances versus Telvin (I think he's not hurt, right?) in the open field.  The Jags will still have to respect him.

But those 3 yard passes to the flat where he makes two guys miss for an extra couple won't happen.  Rico is going to have to make some magic.

Right. I agree with you for the most part. My point is really that he is such a competitor he is going to want to play. He won't know himself if he is 60-70-80-90 %. And at what point does it become a detriment. 

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Right. I agree with you for the most part. My point is really that he is such a competitor he is going to want to play. He won't know himself if he is 60-70-80-90 %. And at what point does it become a detriment. 

I guess we'll find out.  I'm thinking if he's a detriment, McD won't hesitate to downgrade his role.  Luckily, Murphy looked pretty good in a limited role tonight.

Our coaches already downgraded Shady enough at what looked like 100% all year.  He was being taken off the field a play or too early, IMO, in a lot of games this year.  

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Given our depth chart- the only detriment is if he extends the injury and we win making it impact more games. He could be hopping on one leg and be better than Tolbert at RB1 though.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Thankfully the Bills play on Sunday. Obviously they'll check him out in practice and see what he can and can't do and go from there. 

I have a suspicion he won’t be running much til Sunday morning 

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Why did you ever?

The off the field stuff.  Verbal sour grapes against the Eagles when they traded him here as he's always played football in PA.  He appeared to me as a me first type of player, but I'm glad I was wrong.  

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The off the field stuff.  Verbal sour grapes against the Eagles when they traded him here as he's always played football in PA.  He appeared to me as a me first type of player, but I'm glad I was wrong.  

I suppose.  But all that stuff was overblown.

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

You're right. But it's important to differentiate from players that grouse off the field but still perform, versus guys that let the off the field stuff affect their play. I always thought TO got a bad rap. He was thought of as a prima Donna and nuisance, but he worked his ass off on the field and off. He tried hard, he was a great blocker, he didn't often quit on routes when the ball didn't come to him. Most selfish guys like that are selfish guys. McCoy groused but when he was on the field he always tried his ass off. People will say his first year he wasn't that great but it was because he had a bad hamstring not because he didn't try or was a bad guy regardless of his disappointment. 

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You're right. But it's important to differentiate from players that grouse off the field but still perform, versus guys that let the off the field stuff affect their play. I always thought TO got a bad rap. He was thought of as a prima Donna and nuisance, but he worked his ass off on the field and off. He tried hard, he was a great blocker, he didn't often quit on routes when the ball didn't come to him. Most selfish guys like that are selfish guys. McCoy groused but when he was on the field he always tried his ass off. People will say his first year he wasn't that great but it was because he had a bad hamstring not because he didn't try or was a bad guy regardless of his disappointment. 

I tell the story of how I became a Shady fan in his first or second season with the Eagles.  He had a clear shot to the endzone to score at the end of a game, but stopped short to preserve the victory.  I said that's a kid who gets it.  And he produced for them.  And he's produced for the Bills, when healthy.  I didn't care about the off-field stuff as long as it didn't get him into legal trouble and heard a lot of stuff about the SB-era Bills that was worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Maybe if he’s hobbled he’ll dance less and actually run the plays that are called.  I love Shady but he was having one of his worst games ever yesterday - he was running in the opposite direction than the play calls on multiple occasions and getting stuffed for negative yards each time.  He also seemed bothered by the Dolphins’ headhunting and overall chipiness.  He was grousing at Tyrod for failing to audible out of a couple of runs that resulted in big stuffs for the defense.  And then he acted like his leg was snapped in half (and seemed to suspect that it was intentional), which we now know was just an ankle sprain.  It was not his finest afternoon as a pro... 

2 hours ago, Idandria said:

Sprained ankles are bad and very painful. 

You  can barley walk, let alone run. I don’t see him playing unfortunately.

I’m not optimistic but as i mentioned Melvin Gordon was in a walking boot last week with a high ankle sprain and he played, probably because it was such a critical game. It is possible.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not optimistic but as i mentioned Melvin Gordon was in a walking boot last week with a high ankle sprain and he played, probably because it was such a critical game. It is possible.

I think the largest issue is that McCoys game is so laterally inclined and a bad ankle literally derails that. I’m not gonna hold my breath.