Notable Nexflix / Amazon / Premium Channel Series & Movies

Heitz

On 12/12/2023 at 3:58 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I just watched Netflix movie “leave the world behind.” It stars Julia Roberts and Ethan hawke and was actually produced by the Obamas.

i don’t think I have ever seen a worse movie in my life. I just had to come on here and warn people and vent— just a total waste of 2 hours. Slow and plodding for long stretches, plot is pointless, characters are all unlikeable. 

I actually enjoyed it…up until the ending.  What the hell was that crap?

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I actually enjoyed it…up until the ending.  What the hell was that crap?

I just hated every single character. And the movie didn’t feel like it went anywhere. And then the ending—- umm? That came out of left field and felt pointless.  I usually don’t feel that strongly about movies, but I really disliked that one.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Well now I'm intrigued enough to watch it.  

The concept of the movie is actually incredibly interesting, IMO.  They totally f’ed up the story line and the ending.  It was like the final episode of The Sopranos, but worse.  I didn’t have a problem with the characters.  

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

The concept of the movie is actually incredibly interesting, IMO.  They totally f’ed up the story line and the ending.  It was like the final episode of The Sopranos, but worse.  I didn’t have a problem with the characters.  

I found the movie interesting as well.  Its not everyones taste...with society having such short attention spans now, a lot of people don't like things unless stuff is blowing up everywhere and non stop action.  But I do enjoy when movies kind of bring you along through a movie creating a tone, vibe, experience etc.  

I didn't love the ending, but I also didn't hate it either as it was at least pretty clear to what happened and what was gonna happen next unlike the Sopranos where they just left everything open to interpretation by the viewer.  Although admittedly I initially hated the Sopranos ending the moment it happened, I later came to appreciate it, especially when I watched it through a second time.  Im actually about to start it over for a 3rd time since my wife has never seen it, so excited to do that as I watched it again during COVID and enjoyed it as much as I did the first time. 

38 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I found the movie interesting as well.  Its not everyones taste...with society having such short attention spans now, a lot of people don't like things unless stuff is blowing up everywhere and non stop action.  But I do enjoy when movies kind of bring you along through a movie creating a tone, vibe, experience etc.  

I didn't love the ending, but I also didn't hate it either as it was at least pretty clear to what happened and what was gonna happen next unlike the Sopranos where they just left everything open to interpretation by the viewer.  Although admittedly I initially hated the Sopranos ending the moment it happened, I later came to appreciate it, especially when I watched it through a second time.  Im actually about to start it over for a 3rd time since my wife has never seen it, so excited to do that as I watched it again during COVID and enjoyed it as much as I did the first time. 

Yeah, I get it.  I guess there were just too many unknowns in this flick for my liking.  I have read that this was intended by the author of the book.  Although apparently the ending in the book is different than the end of the movie.  I really want to know what that horrific noise was. 😂 

6 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah, I get it.  I guess there were just too many unknowns in this flick for my liking.  I have read that this was intended by the author of the book.  Although apparently the ending in the book is different than the end of the movie.  I really want to know what that horrific noise was. 😂 

They explained the noise in the movie.  You might have missed that, but they did explain it.  You can DM me if you want so I don’t do spoilers here

Has anyone tried "Bodies" on Netflix?

I'm through Episode 5 of 8, and I'm really enjoying it.

The story is centered around the fact that 4 London detectives find the same dead body on the same street in London. They are all investigating the same murder, but here is where the intrigue begins....one detective is in 1890, one is in 1941, one is in 2023, and the fourth is in 2050.

The further you go along in the show, the more connected the characters and storylines become.

Its a really fun watch so far!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Special K said:

The story is centered around the fact that 4 London detectives find the same dead body on the same street in London. They are all investigating the same murder, but here is where the intrigue begins....one detective is in 1890, one is in 1941, one is in 2023, and the fourth is in 2050.

The further you go along in the show, the more connected the characters and storylines become.

Enjoyed it

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Special K said:

That sounds interesting, will definitely give it a try.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/12/2024 at 12:24 AM, Special K said:

On 1/12/2024 at 5:35 PM, The Jokeman said:

That sounds interesting, will definitely give it a try.

Just finished Bodies, good show with a good ending.....worth the watch. 

On 1/17/2024 at 3:19 PM, Teddy KGB said:

Fargo season finale 11/10

Mrs Lyon dropped the bomb on the sheriff in the prison visit.  

Munch having biscuits and chili with dot was wild too 

Really enjoyed this season of Fargo....one of the best shows on TV in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 2:15 PM, The Jokeman said:

I haven't read through the whole thread but anyone catch The Curse on Showtime. Very tongue in cheek/dark comedy. 

Just finished this last night.......watched it because I like Emma Stone, and remember Nathan Fielder from "Nathan For You".

The episode before the finale set the show up for a dark and intriguing end, but the finale fell flat on its face, IMO.

Of all the ways they could have ended it, it seems they chose the most ridiculously implausible version......such a shame.

4 hours ago, Special K said:

Just finished this last night.......watched it because I like Emma Stone, and remember Nathan Fielder from "Nathan For You".

The episode before the finale set the show up for a dark and intriguing end, but the finale fell flat on its face, IMO.

Of all the ways they could have ended it, it seems they chose the most ridiculously implausible version......such a shame.

I agree the final episode was just like why? I admit I posted my suggestion before watching the finale as it definitely felt was leading to something. Yet the finale just didn't do the show any justice as was just horribly foolish.

• Agree 1

Anyone watching the new Season 4 of "True Detective" on HBO?

I have been following along with online discussions about the episodes.  I'm through Episode 3, and it's only a 6 episode season, so half done now.  The online comments through 3 episodes are REALLY negative.

I am enjoying this season more than the other 3 combined!  It has a sci-fi supernatural theme to it, and all set in Alaska in December, when it's dark 24 hours a day basically.

Has a cool vibe not unlike "The Shining," mixed in with "Twin Peaks."

Not nearly as good as either of those, but I'm enjoying it.

On 2/6/2024 at 12:11 PM, Nextmanup said:

Anyone watching the new Season 4 of "True Detective" on HBO?

I have been following along with online discussions about the episodes.  I'm through Episode 3, and it's only a 6 episode season, so half done now.  The online comments through 3 episodes are REALLY negative.

I am enjoying this season more than the other 3 combined!  It has a sci-fi supernatural theme to it, and all set in Alaska in December, when it's dark 24 hours a day basically.

Has a cool vibe not unlike "The Shining," mixed in with "Twin Peaks."

Not nearly as good as either of those, but I'm enjoying it.

I've watched every season so far and the current one gives me X Files vibes. It's still pretty damn good. The only season I really didn't like was 2. 

well TV viewing is so subjective. There is something out there to appeal to everybody. And in my case my 2 favorite shows, well actually 3 would maybe never cross your radar.  Being a female creative fuels my interests.

so having said that my 3 fav shows on Netflix over all are the full 6 seasons replay of the Tv series Lucifer. I am OBSESSED with the villian main character. GUILTY PLEASURE  OMG sooo talented and yummy to look at. He plays piano, he sings, his eyes glow that a mere mortal viewing them will make them insane. He is the ultimate bad boy badass along  with a super vulnerable as it ends up softer side. The actual devil on earth in human form. Who isn't such a bad dude after all. SEZ WHO lmao.  You are a loveable sometimes helpful menace lol I have aa fangirl crush FOR SURE

Next is ***** Eye  More than a Makeover. Best TV EVER. I rest my case you will never convince me otherwise that these men are the REAL DEAL TOP SHELF. love Love LOVE that show

my last one totally relates to me being an artist it is Project Runway All Stars. MAGNIFICENT TALENT CREATIVITY and PASSION. I Love it.

I read and take notes of new viewing options gracias.

Finished the 4th and final season of The Man in the High Castle on Amazon, the alternate history based on the Phillip K. Dick book where the Axis wins WWII. One of those stories that you wish you could see what happens next. I never thought I could be made to feel bad for a Nazi. 😳

On 2/8/2024 at 7:20 PM, muppy said:

the Tv series Lucifer

That's been on our radar for a while. I think we'll check it out.

On a similar note, the series Good Omens (Amazon Prime?) was a lot of fun.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/12/2024 at 12:24 AM, Special K said:

I’m on episode #6 at the moment. It’s funny, sometimes I even think I know what’s going on!   😂 

Side note: between the accents and the mix between voices and music it tricky to follow every word at times. It’s almost like I’m getting old or something…..

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I’m on episode #6 at the moment. It’s funny, sometimes I even think I know what’s going on!   😂 

Side note: between the accents and the mix between voices and music it tricky to follow every word at times. It’s almost like I’m getting old or something…..

When I watch a British show, I tend to put the closed captioning on just to make sure I catch everything.....the thicker British accents can be tricky at times!

1 hour ago, Special K said:

When I watch a British show, I tend to put the closed captioning on just to make sure I catch everything.....the thicker British accents can be tricky at times!

My system is trickier than I am smart, but I’ll put my wife or my 10 year old grandson on finding the closed caption option.  😋 

Something  (maybe Reacher on Prime?) has closed caption as the default. I tend to use it even when I don’t have to. I could really use it on Bodies. It’s odd, but I had zero problem understanding anyone in London.   🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

"American Factory" (Netflix) is a documentary about a GM plant that closed when the market collapsed in 2008. The building was later purchased by a Chinese company that re-opened it ... let's just say under a different business model. Depressing, but enlightening.

Bless me father, for I have sinned…

Started watching The Dynasty: New England Patriots on Apple TV+ today, and g-d help me but I like it. It doesn’t make me like them, but it’s a really well done and engaging look at the Patriots from the Bledsoe-Brady transition through to the end of the Brady/Belichick era. 

2 hours ago, DD4Bills said:

Bless me father, for I have sinned…

Started watching The Dynasty: New England Patriots on Apple TV+ today, and g-d help me but I like it. It doesn’t make me like them, but it’s a really well done and engaging look at the Patriots from the Bledsoe-Brady transition through to the end of the Brady/Belichick era. 

You are forgiven for three Hail Mary’s……

That go in the Bills favor in the playoffs next year. Not that I would survive the first one, but I’m just thinking of the rest of you. I’m that kinda guy. 😋

• Agree 1

Anybody watching "Loudermilk" on Netflix??

It's about an abrasive, however good-at-heart leader of an AA group.....if you can get past an excessive use of the F-word, the show is really funny.......check it out if you haven't seen it.

It says it originally aired between 2017-2020, but it must have been on some obscure channel, because I don't remember hearing of it before it was put on Netflix.

Edited by Special K

• 4 weeks later...

2/3 through "The Gentlemen"  Great show/series- gonna be bummed when we finish it.  It's Guy Ritchie, and it's a bit of a nostalgic indulgence for him, but still very fun and (mostly) original(ish) terrain.   Vinnie Jones is fantastic, again.

Signature over-the-top cool with top-notch acting, cinematography, directing, editing vision, sets, soundtrack, mixing, etc.  Great interplay between the shot angles and the editing- very well thought out.  

I can't think of a way to not recommend the show... other than not for kiddos and the more easily offended.  

10 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

2/3 through "The Gentlemen"  Great show/series- gonna be bummed when we finish it.  It's Guy Ritchie, and it's a bit of a nostalgic indulgence for him, but still very fun and (mostly) original(ish) terrain.   Vinnie Jones is fantastic, again.

Signature over-the-top cool with top-notch acting, cinematography, directing, editing vision, sets, soundtrack, mixing, etc.  Great interplay between the shot angles and the editing- very well thought out.  

I can't think of a way to not recommend the show... other than not for kiddos and the more easily offended.  

Have you seen the movie this series was spun from?

3 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

I don't believe so.  I recognize elements from his early work, and one character seems to have a similar line of business from Breaking Bad.  

It's worth a watch. Colin Farrell and Hugh Grant are excellent. In fact, I think it might have been Grant's finest acting moment since he told the cops the prostitute fell into his car as he was driving. The scenes with Farrell in the take away and the gangsters trying to get mobile phones off of street urchins are brilliant. 

It also has Michelle Dockery in who plays a very fine gangster's wife. 

I'll try and catch a couple of episodes of the series over the weekend. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

The movie Ricky Stanicky on Prime is sort of cheesy, but I had more than a few genuine belly laughs.  Worth a watch if you’re looking for something light.

I thought it was hilarious! John Cena's best work and the stuff involving William H Macy was Gold!

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

It gave me a lot of laughs, well worth the watch

On 3/15/2024 at 7:46 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

The movie Ricky Stanicky on Prime is sort of cheesy, but I had more than a few genuine belly laughs.  Worth a watch if you’re looking for something light.

• Like (+1) 1