Gronk committed deliberate, intentional, and defenseless criminal assault with his metal elbow brace

reginald

He purposely used a big metal brace to smash the back of a guys head who is lying face down unsuspecting because the play was long over. He also wound up beforehand. 100% assault in no way part of a football play. What a cowardly despicable act by a guy 70 lbs heavier all because he was frustrated. Only one game is a joke. What a Scumbag

3 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

He should be fined six figures and be suspended one game minimum. I'm all for a rule that stipulates that if you intend to injure a player and succeed, you sit out as many games as your victim.

It was a cowardly act by a complete meat head and it strongly resembled roid rage ... The league should've tested him for steroids and HGH yesterday. I'm betting he'd fail.

I said the same thing about him using. He definitely looked jacked up on something.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Gugny said:

Hyperbole much?

It was a dirty hit.  Very dirty.  But no one came close to dying and he shouldn't be brought up on criminal charges.  This wasn't a curling match, for Christ's sake. 

Not surprising from a known P*ts apologizer.  You should be Gronk's dialog writer.

I noticed Gronk stutter steps before the hit to get his body lined up to aim his hit. By using his elbow brace as a weapon - I agree that it proves that it is not needed for medical reasons and should not be allowed to be worn. I'm not aware of anyone else in the NFL who wears such a brace. 

The punishments for intentional, unnecessary roughness are ridiculously minor. 15 yards is nothing for a dirty hit that could have a lasting influence on a game or a career. Suspension penalty should be based upon severity of the injury making it roughly equal to the time missed by the victim of the dirty hit. 

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not sure how you reconcile giving Talib and Crabtree 2 games (appealed down to 1) and only give this DB just 1?

I wholeheartedly agree with this.  Makes no sense.

11 hours ago, Jobot said:

Let's take it easy.... more than half of this fan base frustration is that the Pats just dominated and will continue to dominate the Bills so long as Brady is around.  Cheap shot... Yes... Criminal act... come on now...

The way White was holding him all game... it's understandable that Gronk's frustration would have been at a high level.  Although what he did is still not acceptable, it is understandable.

Huh....wowsers

There is a lot of ignorance of the law in this 12 page discussion.

Criminal conduct in a sporting contest is a sticky area of the law, with no clear bright line rule one way or the other.

If you are interested in learning more about this aspect of the law, this article is a good primer.

http://www.economist.com/news/international/21639527-courts-are-increasingly-being-asked-rule-injuries-inflicted-during-games-fair-game

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

There is a lot of ignorance of the law in this 12 page discussion.

Criminal conduct in a sporting contest is a sticky area of the law, with no clear bright line rule one way or the other.

If you are interested in learning more about this aspect of the law, this article is a good primer.

http://www.economist.com/news/international/21639527-courts-are-increasingly-being-asked-rule-injuries-inflicted-during-games-fair-game

Good link. I would recommend people read it.  But I disagree with your comment that there is "no clear bright line rule" regarding criminal conduct. The Economist article suggests where that rule lies:  "The criteria courts have used are whether an athlete intended to hurt a victim, whether serious harm resulted, whether the type of attack was prohibited by the sport and whether it occurred when play was suspended or terminated. When all are met, criminal prosecution is likely."

- Intent to hurt?  Gronk can be seen taking that stutter step to line up his arm brace with Tre's head as he falls on him

- Prohibited by the sport? Yes. And the 1 game suspension (and penalty) proves it

- Whether it occurred when play was suspended or terminated? Yes. No question the play was whistled dead before Gronk went into his flop move.

Now, as we all know not everything that technically is criminal conduct is prosecuted. But although not as violent a hit as many others we see in the NFL, this is actually a rare one in which all 3 elements are satisfied. 

I suggested earlier that an aggressive (and perhaps politically ambitious?) DA somewhere actually will prosecute this type of illegal hit somewhere. Actually, I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen in the next few years. There's a big storm of criticism of the NFL as an inherently unsafe/abusive league, and a lot of games are played in jurisdictions with very liberal/pro-labor/anti-NFL sentiment.  That means aggressively anti-NFL DAs and potential jurors. I don't want that to happen, but if the NFL is going to prevent it from happening, it needs to get its act together. And fast. As Gruden said tonight, "what does a player need to do to get kicked out of a game?" And it's a fair question. 

If I was Tre I would have gone full soccer fake.

Literally laid there motionless eyes closed on my back just breathing contently and let them immobilize my head neck spine and have an ambulance take me off. To be safe that would have been a smart move. Being concussed he can't really be sure what is injured and of course may not be aware enough to go full soccer fake.

Let Gronk think about how he could have just killed or paralyzed someone.

Of course when they break out the smelling salts my gig would have been up.

Edited by cba fan
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 12/4/2017 at 11:59 AM, Binghamton Beast said:

You are arguing NYS penal law matters with the wrong person. In no way, shape or form would Grinkowski’s elbow brace be considered a deadly weapon.

Now, go look up dangerous instrument.

State of New York, you are 100% correct, other states different issue. NYS penal code list is very specific

Gugny you got me thinking about Gronk some and the Patriots in general. You know how I feel about the hit and all so I'll spare you that. 

The Patriots (Gronk) are hardcore about winning. So hardcore that getting picked off by a rookie in a game you basically won hurts your ego enough to over react like he did. That you simply cannot afford one bad play as a Patriot. The guy was having a great game had no reason to be angry over one play....

I started wondering if Gronk acted the way he did not because he's just a douchebag but maybe it was the standards and expectations of the team he plays for. I'm not trying to justify what happened to anyone reading this. I'm just looking for deeper meaning.

What if that's the sacrifice you make to have a championship team. You expect no mistakes. Your standards are higher then normal. That every step you take is on eggshells. Then when you win you get guys with big egos. That getting picked off by a rookie is so embarrassing that you just can't simply let it go. That one bad play will cause you to snap.

It might just be a thought experiment. That if you hold everybody to that high of a standard even though the play didn't matter it still will be scrutinized by the evil master mind head coach. That if we want to become a repeat championship team in Buffalo you might just get a guy who over reacts over one bad play in a game that is already won. 

I guess in a strange way I look at BB as the reason it went down the way it did. That publicly he acts disgusted but in private hes praising him like the shady Sensai in the Karate Kid. It could be that the 100 good plays don't matter but the one bad play you made does in Patriot land and that might cause people to act up sometimes. Just food for thought.

Edited by Lfod

7 minutes ago, Lfod said:

Gugny you got me thinking about Gronk some and the Patriots in general. You know how I feel about the hit and all so I'll spare you that. 

The Patriots (Gronk) are hardcore about winning. So hardcore that getting picked off by a rookie in a game you basically won hurts your ego enough to over react like he did. That you simply cannot afford one bad play as a Patriot. The guy was having a great game had no reason to be angry over one play....

I started wondering if Gronk acted the way he did not because he's just a douchebag but maybe it was the standards and expectations of the team he plays for. I'm not trying to justify what happened to anyone reading this. I'm just looking for deeper meaning.

What if that's the sacrifice you make to have a championship team. You expect no mistakes. Your standards are higher then normal. That every step you take is on eggshells. Then when you win you get guys with big egos. That getting picked off by a rookie is so embarrassing that you just can't simply let it go. That one bad play will cause you to snap.

It might just be a thought experiment. That if you hold everybody to that high of a standard even though the play didn't matter it still will be scrutinized by the evil master mind head coach. That if we want to become a repeat championship team in Buffalo you might just get a guy who over reacts over one bad play in a game that is already won. 

Dang I'm sorry I have to LOL at this...battered fan syndrome. 

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Dang I'm sorry I have to LOL at this...battered fan syndrome. 

I can't tell if he's serious. It's The Patriot Way I guess, can't beat winners doing their winning thing and pile driving rookie heads into the ground.

13 minutes ago, Lfod said:

Nah man, winners don't do that. TreDavious White sure looks like a winner in that play. Can't say the same for that Patriot Fella.

11 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I can't tell if he's serious. It's The Patriot Way I guess, can't beat winners doing their winning thing and pile driving rookie heads into the ground.

Nah man, winners don't do that. TreDavious White sure looks like a winner in that play. Can't say the same for that Patriot Fella.

Don't get me wrong. All I wanted for Christmas was a Tre White interception on Tom Brady for Christmas. I said as much on posts before the game went down.

I'm disgusted by what went down. It was a low class move. What I suggested isn't something I'm arguing for. Just something I was curious about. Call it a thought experiment. 

Was merely suggesting that the motivation might be the team the guy plays for and not just him being an ultimate d-bag. I'm not saying I'm right. It could be one way or another or both. Just wanted opinions and I can appreciate if that sounds stupid to people.

Not trying to stick up for the guy or justify how it went down. Just looking into the though process that might cause a person do to it. It could just be isolated and the guy is just a turd. 

Edited by Lfod

2 minutes ago, Lfod said:

Don't get me wrong. All I wanted for Christmas was a Tre White interception on Tom Brady for Christmas. I said as much on posts before the game went down.

I'm disgusted by what went down. It was a low class move. What I suggested isn't something I'm arguing for. Just something I was curious about. Call it a though experiment. 

Sure, it might be indicative of a culture that tolerates few mistakes. And Gronk really did seem hung up on being intercepted, that's fine. But what he did after was a bigger mistake in itself.. Like how we rag on Hughes, but really, worse. Beli isn't happy with a play like that. If that happens in tight a playoff game, and officiating is better, this is a move we point to and laugh at like we do every year when the Bengals implode.

59 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I guess in a strange way I look at BB as the reason it went down the way it did. That publicly he acts disgusted but in private hes praising him like the shady Sensai in the Karate Kid. It could be that the 100 good plays don't matter but the one bad play you made does in Patriot land and that might cause people to act up sometimes. Just food for thought.

No, he's just a douchebag.  I'd blame the 'roids affecting his CTE-riddled brain.

1 hour ago, Lfod said:

I honestly think that he got pissed and snapped.  This isn't part of a pattern of similar behavior for him - or for any other Patriot*.  It was out of character for the player and for the team (under Bill B.).  I think this was an isolated incident that was a) very unfortunate and b) also unfortunately against the Bills.

• 2 weeks later...

Can the Bills request NFL to not allow body armor?

Serious question.

I understand the need for padding and player protection.

But Gronkowski clearly used his forearm "protection" as a weapon against 27.

And knocked him out of the game.

If I'm the Bills, I tell NFL I dont want Gronkowski bringing a club onto the field to use agaisnt my guys. 

And I make it very public.  At worst you get into his head. 

• Like (+1) 1