Giants to Start Geno Smith at QB - Eli to Start Again After HC and GM Fired

26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, 1billsfan said:

Given how bad the AFC is, trading for Eli Manning wouldn't be a bad idea if they would be able to fix the offensive line and the defense with the draft and free agency. He probably has two good years left and which would give Beane and McDermott time to find a replacement when he does retire.

When was the last time you watched Eli play? He’s worse than Taylor and costs more. That’s a hard pass.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

22 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Lol....Eli hasnt been that guy for a few years now...long overdue in my opinion...but for Geno???

I dont get it...Smith is a turnover machine almost on par with Peterman....

Eli is still a very good QB.  The Giants lack WR who can live up to the name this year, and their OL and play calling are suspect.

21 minutes ago, Bocephuz said:

according to Spotrac Eli's cap hit is ~$13 mil in 2018 and 2019 has an out clause.

that is certainly affordable...i'd be up to trade Tyrod in for Eli as the place holder vet for next couple years.

question is... what will NYG ask in trade for him? would they release him?

I would not give up more than a 2nd for Eli personally

and playing Geno first over Davis Webb is a dumb move. Davis Webb was my favorite qb prospect the year he was drafted.. I think he has solid potential.. way more than Geno

The Giants owe Eli $5M of roster bonus in the new league year.  They would pretty much have to pay him, to trade him I think.

As a 2x Super Bowl winner, Eli Manning almost certainly has a "no trade" clause in his contract where he must approve any trade.

He may very well be cut, and available to entertain suitors.

22 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

To be fair... I don't think he has done that great of a job.  That team was 11-5 last year and he has won 2 games.

W-L isn't a QB stat for a reason.  Watch any of their games?

Last year Giant's D was outstanding -2nd in the league.  This year they kinda suck - I don't know their roster well enough to tell if it's injuries, key FA losses or what - and Eli's WR can't seem to freakin' catch a cold let alone a football.

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

When was the last time you watched Eli play? He’s worse than Taylor and costs double. That’s a hard pass.

That Giant offensive line is the worst in the league. Brady would have looked like crap behind that line.

It seems like he's going to be heading to the Jaguars, but I truly think he would look great with our average offensive line and with talent like Benjamin, Jones, Matthews, Clay and McCoy.

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

When was the last time you watched Eli play? He’s worse than Taylor and costs more. That’s a hard pass.

Thursday and disagree.  His line sucks and this year with injuries, he doesn't have any receivers that put a fear on another team's DBs.  With all that he's making throws, his receivers can't catch 'em.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Well, you can add them to the growing list of teams that will most likely draft a QB in 2018, and sit ahead of us in the draft order.

Cleveland

San Fran is a ??

Giants

Jets

Broncos

Miami (possibly) 

Cardinals (possibly) 

Redskins (possibly)

San Fran is sitting in a perfect spot to start a bidding war between QB needy teams and collect a massive haul of picks (assuming they go with Garoppolo, or Cousins). 

7 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

That Giant offensive line is the worst in the league. Brady would have looked like crap behind that line.

It seems like he's going to be heading to the Jaguars, but I truly think he would look great with our average offensive line and with talent like Benjamin, Jones, Matthews, Clay and McCoy.

He’s done. I’ve been following him the last few years as I’ve had him as a keeper in my 2 QB league. Eli has been a bad QB that is at the end. He’s been a worse player than Tyrod. It’s reflected in rating, QBR, yards per attempt, etc... This is another case of a guy that was good that is now done that for some reason we think is still good.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thursday and disagree.

What impresses you over the last 2 years?  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannEl00.htm

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I am not a Ben McAdoo fan, but it's clear the Giants aren't making the playoffs, and he might as well experiment.  The Giants' offense clearly isn't working with Eli.  Maybe Geno gets a couple games and then maybe Davis Webb will close out their dismal season.  That way McAdoo's successor will have a bit more of a clue as to what the Giants have in the stable moving forward.

1 hour ago, WMDman said:

McAdoos nail in the coffin

That landed several weeks ago.  He's a dead man walking...the Mara's are just a little eccentric and so they didn't send him packing.  

I think McAdoo was proving himself to be a good company man by not causing trouble.  He'll get another shot eventually, but the NY situation has gotten bad in a hurry.  I wonder if we'd be interested in him as OC or QB coach?

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thursday and disagree.  His line sucks and this year with injuries, he doesn't have any receivers that put a fear on another team's DBs.  With all that he's making throws, his receivers can't catch 'em.

Eli Manning is still a better QB than Tyrod Taylor. At least with regards to passing the football. He needs a decent OL in front of him, but a better passer all day long. 

Just now, dulles said:

That landed several weeks ago.  He's a dead man walking...the Mara's are just a little eccentric and so they didn't send him packing.  

I think McAdoo was proving himself to be a good company man by not causing trouble.  He'll get another shot eventually, but the NY situation has gotten bad in a hurry.  I wonder if we'd be interested in him as OC or QB coach?

...think I'd take BOB McAdoo first...........

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s done. I’ve been following him the last few years as I’ve had him as a keeper in my 2 QB league. Eli has been a bad QB that is at the end. He’s been a worse player than Tyrod. It’s reflected in rating, QBR, yards per attempt, etc... This is another case of a guy that was good that is now done that for some reason we think is still good.

What impresses you over the last 2 years?  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannEl00.htm

Thank you for bringing some sanity to this discussion.  Eli was never great but got hot at the right times.  I feel for him here because he has done so much he doesn't deserve to be yanked but....  He hasn't been good this year or last.  2015 seems to be that last one year that great players have where they flash and then fade.  Tyrod has outplayed him and we know how most fans feel about Tyrod.

He has been an ironman however its all but over for him imo.  He doesn't strike me as someone who would skirt the rules and go the HGH route (coughbradycough) and hang around.  Players SHOULD start to fade in their late 30s.  Add a bad oline that allows him to get hit often and I'm surprised his starting game streak has reached the number it has.

Some fun Eli facts:

Did you know he has a 110-100 record? 

Did you know he has 3 years of 20+ ints?

Did you know he has never completed more than 63.1% of his passes in a season? and a career 59.8%?

Did you know he has only thrown for more than 7 ypa 6 out of 14 years starting?

Did you know he has a career qb rating of 83.8 which is the same as Joe Flacco?

Did you know he has thrown 222 ints in 210 career starts.  More than 1 a game

Did you know he has thrown 334 tds in 210 career starts.  About 1.5 per game.  

So the average Eli game is 241.3 yards a game combined, 1.5 tds and 1 ints.  For comparison Tyrod goes for 238.3 combined, 1.55 tds and .23 ints a game.  Somehow out of these numbers Tyrod is garbage and a backup qb at best and Eli is a HOFer.

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, section122 said:

Thank you for bringing some sanity to this discussion.  Eli was never great but got hot at the right times.  I feel for him here because he has done so much he doesn't deserve to be yanked but....  He hasn't been good this year or last.  2015 seems to be that last one year that great players have where they flash and then fade.  Tyrod has outplayed him and we know how most fans feel about Tyrod.

He has been an ironman however its all but over for him imo.  He doesn't strike me as someone who would skirt the rules and go the HGH route (coughbradycough) and hang around.  Players SHOULD start to fade in their late 30s.  Add a bad oline that allows him to get hit often and I'm surprised his starting game streak has reached the number it has.

Some fun Eli facts:

Did you know he has a 110-100 record? 

Did you know he has 3 years of 20+ ints?

Did you know he has never completed more than 63.1% of his passes in a season? and a career 59.8%?

Did you know he has only thrown for more than 7 ypa 6 out of 14 years starting?

Did you know he has a career qb rating of 83.8 which is the same as Joe Flacco?

Did you know he has thrown 222 ints in 210 career starts.  More than 1 a game

Did you know he has thrown 334 tds in 210 career starts.  About 1.5 per game.  

So the average Eli game is 241.3 yards a game combined, 1.5 tds and 1 ints.  For comparison Tyrod goes for 238.3 combined, 1.55 tds and .23 ints a game.  Somehow out of these numbers Tyrod is garbage and a backup qb at best and Eli is a HOFer.

He's also played for 14 seasons. He's leveled off for sure and was never as good as Peyton. However, he slayed the evil empire in the SB twice. Needing to lead a TD drive on his last posession to do so. That's the kind of stuff that will land you in the HOF. I can't envision Tyrod doing that in those situations if you gave him 50 chances. 

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

He's also played for 14 seasons. He's leveled off for sure and was never as good as Peyton. However, he slayed the evil empire in the SB twice. Needing to lead a TD drive on his last posession to do so. That's the kind of stuff that will land you in the HOF. I can't envision Tyrod doing that in those situations if you gave him 50 chances. 

I will forever love Eli for ruining their perfect season.  He has just never been an amazing qb.  14 years of starting and numbers almost identical to Tyrod's first couple starting.  You can use hypotheticals but they don't really help your argument.  If Tyrod is a backup qb at best then how is someone with identical numbers a hofer?  He will be and I won't argue it but lets agree that luck had a lot to do with those 2 wins.  At his peak Eli was a much better passer that Tyrod.  For the majority of his career though he has been Tyrod.

4 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Bad move, Eli is pissed. And no he's not done. Quarterbacks don't fall off trees.

...actually a good move for Eli....first the OL is putrid....secondly, the Jints, long known for a power running game are 26th at 91 YPG....so Eli gets welcomed in Jax by Coughlin with open arms (saw an article today surmising Elway goes after the "other Manning") and serves as a solid addition to Jax club......Mara deserves Reese/McAdoo anyway.......

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

W-L isn't a QB stat for a reason.  Watch any of their games?

Last year Giant's D was outstanding -2nd in the league.  This year they kinda suck - I don't know their roster well enough to tell if it's injuries, key FA losses or what - and Eli's WR can't seem to freakin' catch a cold let alone a football.

I was talking about the coach, not Eli.

2 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

What a jerk Ben McAdoo is. They are 2 and 9 and he benches a guy who has an iron streak in the line, who has won 2 superbowls, and has given everything he had to the organization. If they were in a playoff race I would understand it more. But they are 2 and 9....

Very low thing to do. I can't stand McAdoo

McAdoo lets Odell run wild including having no reaction to Odell saying he could care less for about his 15 yard unsportsmanlike after a TD.

Two of his DB's get suspended for a game each ...and one gets to play the entire game against the 49ers with no effort (Jenkins).

And now he sits a franchise legend and complete stand-up team guy who has started every game dating back to 2004 and who bested Tom Brady in the Super Bowl. twice (including the nearly undefeated season)...for GENO SMITH!!

Nice job coach there will be some lovely parting gifts on your way out.

Edited by SinceThe70s

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Lol....Eli hasnt been that guy for a few years now...long overdue in my opinion...but for Geno???

I dont get it...Smith is a turnover machine almost on par with Peterman....

Eli wasn't having that bad of a season with 14 TDs and 7 INTs for just over 2400 yards, especially since he lost OBJ and Brandon Marshall early and Sterling Shepard missed some games. His 219 yds per game, though, is a drop off from recent seasons (for comparison, TT at 184 yds/game).  Also, despite the Giants' O-Line woes, Eli has been sacked only 26 times vs 31 for TT.

I remember that Eli struggled some when McAdoo became OC but then had two of the best seasons of his career in 2014 and '15, with 30 TD passes in 2014, 35 in 2015, 14 INTs in both seasons and over 4400 passing yards in each.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

How is it possible the ownership is OK with this?  And is because they are "too classy" that they haven't fired this truly awful HC?

These are both good questions.  Maybe ownership is done with Eli and more than happy to let McAdoo fall on the sword. I'd say two birds with one stone but really even before today McAdoo was a dead man walking IMO.