Giants to Start Geno Smith at QB - Eli to Start Again After HC and GM Fired

26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Watching another guy work is far different than a star starter grooming his replacement.  I don't think it happens much.  Most high picked rookies start.

Just watching the starter work can be considered grooming the replacement. You don't think Rodgers learned anything watching how Favre went about his days with the team? Do you think a rookie wouldn't learn anything getting to watch how Manning prepares and goes about his time with the team? Very few take the rookie under their wings and sit down teaching the rookie, but havung that player around to watch and occasionally talk to usually helps more then just throwing them out on day one to start. Not many outside of the elite guys ever step in on day one and are effective. I'm sure even Brady would tell you it helped getting to watch Bledsoe every day.

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Just watching the starter work can be considered grooming the replacement. You don't think Rodgers learned anything watching how Favre went about his days with the team? Do you think a rookie wouldn't learn anything getting to watch how Manning prepares and goes about his time with the team? Very few take the rookie under their wings and sit down teaching the rookie, but havung that player around to watch and occasionally talk to usually helps more then just throwing them out on day one to start. Not many outside of the elite guys ever step in on day one and are effective. I'm sure even Brady would tell you it helped getting to watch Bledsoe every day.

Every cites Rodgers (mainly because he's one of the few durable starters who had to sit for at least a season), but I recall reading back then that Favre did little to help Rodgers out.

What did Curtis Painter learn from watching Manning all those years?  Or Osweiler?

16 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Every cites Rodgers (mainly because he's one of the few durable starters who had to sit for at least a season), but I recall reading back then that Favre did little to help Rodgers out.

What did Curtis Painter learn from watching Manning all those years?  Or Osweiler?

Rodgers was insanely competitive against Favre, to the point of pissing off the old guard teammates. Being a backup to Favre had its own benefit in Rodgers working like a maniac in practice.

Phillip Rivers, Steve Young. I don't think the starters ever groom their backups, but the backups that succeed are the competitive types that develop through constantly trying to outperform great starters.

18 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Just because they were a backup to a great QB it doesn't mean they will automatically become great themselves if they aren't good to begin with. I don't think anyone expected Painter to be a high level NFL starter. Manning was one of the best QBs ever to play, but he isn't a miracle worker. Do you think it's a better option for a rookie QB to come into the league and be thrown right in to start, or to spend his time sitting behind and watching someone like Jay Cutler?

Again, very few QBs are going to sit down and groom (take the rookie by the hand and teach them personally) but many will At least have conversations with the rookie and the rookie will be able to watch and learn from how the player practices and goes about his day that you hope the rookie will see this and learn that they need to do things similar to have the best chance to succeed. 

4 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Rodgers was insanely competitive against Favre, to the point of pissing off the old guard teammates. Being a backup to Favre had its own benefit in Rodgers working like a maniac in practice.

Phillip Rivers, Steve Young. I don't think the starters ever groom their backups, but the backups that succeed are the competitive types that develop through constantly trying to outperform great starters.

After playing a year in the USFL, Young was a "rookie" starter for his two years in Tampa Bay.  He then had the great fortune to have been traded onto one of the greatest rosters in NFL history.

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Just because they were a backup to a great QB it doesn't mean they will automatically become great themselves if they aren't good to begin with. I don't think anyone expected Painter to be a high level NFL starter. Manning was one of the best QBs ever to play, but he isn't a miracle worker. Do you think it's a better option for a rookie QB to come into the league and be thrown right in to start, or to spend his time sitting behind and watching someone like Jay Cutler?

Again, very few QBs are going to sit down and groom (take the rookie by the hand and teach them personally) but many will At least have conversations with the rookie and the rookie will be able to watch and learn from how the player practices and goes about his day that you hope the rookie will see this and learn that they need to do things similar to have the best chance to succeed. 

Since the majority of rookies don't sit and most of the best started right away, I think the number of future stars who sat first is too low to ay that method is better.  The case of top drafted QBs bring brought in to replace an aging star/franchise QB is so rare that we are talking about a handful of QBs over the past few decades.  Highly drafted QBs are picked because there IS no franchise QB ahead of the on the roster.

Out of the top tier QBs in the league, how many started right away?

Both Mannings, Cam Newton, Ben? Did Brees start right away in SD? 

Rivers sat behind Brees

Brady behind Bledsoe

Rodgers behind Favre

Peterman sat behind Taylor.....

Now how many guys taken in the 1st round turn out to be franchise QBs? How many bounce around or flame out as busts? 

Edited by apuszczalowski

15 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

After playing a year in the USFL, Young was a "rookie" starter for his two years in Tampa Bay.  He then had the great fortune to have been traded onto one of the greatest rosters in NFL history.

and? Yep that's all true, he was pretty bad in Tampa.

Strahan: Giants threw Eli under the bus

"I think we're all surprised and disappointed, and I don't think they handled it very well," Strahan said during an interview with NFL Network on Thursday. "I don't think you put it all on Eli, the season of failure on his part. I think it's a team game, a team sport, we all understand that. Sometimes, one person gets thrown under the bus as a martyr and that seems to be Eli in this case."

"There's no sense speculating," Archie said. "If he's still there, we don't know what their future plans are, if other people are there. And you have no idea what other teams will think of a 37-year-old quarterback. You don't have any idea.

"Eli might say, 'I've had enough. I'm feeling good, I've got a beautiful wife, three little girls, I'm healthy. And that's it.' So there's no sense speculating."

Yes, retirement is one option. So is playing for another team, Peyton-style, with hopes of a title run -- Tom Coughlin's Jaguars will be a source of speculation. And so is returning to the Giants, even if they draft a quarterback early.

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

"There's no sense speculating," Archie said. "If he's still there, we don't know what their future plans are, if other people are there. And you have no idea what other teams will think of a 37-year-old quarterback. You don't have any idea.

"Eli might say, 'I've had enough. I'm feeling good, I've got a beautiful wife, three little girls, I'm healthy. And that's it.' So there's no sense speculating."

Yes, retirement is one option. So is playing for another team, Peyton-style, with hopes of a title run -- Tom Coughlin's Jaguars will be a source of speculation. And so is returning to the Giants, even if they draft a quarterback early.

Archie wound up in Houston his final 3 years (with literally zero success - no wins as a starter - during that time). As we all know, Peyton wound up in Denver for his last 4, with great success for 3 followed by a fluky Super Bowl season.  I fully expect Eli to follow the same path.  By the way, with Archie, I always had the notion that he was the unfortunate talented QB stuck with an awful team (the Saints).  But the more I look back at him, it seems that he was an important reason why the Saints were awful.

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

Archie wound up in Houston his final 3 years (with literally zero success - no wins as a starter - during that time). As we all know, Peyton wound up in Denver for his last 4, with great success for 3 followed by a fluky Super Bowl season.  I fully expect Eli to follow the same path.  By the way, with Archie, I always had the notion that he was the unfortunate talented QB stuck with an awful team (the Saints).  But the more I look back at him, it seems that he was an important reason why the Saints were awful.

Those Saints' teams were utterly devoid of talent without much to support Manning.  My hunch for Eli is that he's in Jacksonville in '18 as their starting QB. 

Just now, dave mcbride said:

The fans will come around if they are in position to draft the next savior. I wouldn't worry about the fans right now. The team is 2-10, for chrissake.

Good point. Kinda late anyway with the Genie out of the bottle I'd say. 

PO'ed fan base?    BWAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA     They could give a **** about the fanbase in NYC.   That fanbase has been PO'ed for years!!! 

nothing new there 

7 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The fans will come around if they are in position to draft the next savior. I wouldn't worry about the fans right now. The team is 2-10, for chrissake.

TRUTH

On 2017-12-01 at 2:03 PM, apuszczalowski said:

Out of the top tier QBs in the league, how many started right away?

Both Mannings, Cam Newton, Ben? Did Brees start right away in SD? 

Rivers sat behind Brees

Brady behind Bledsoe

Rodgers behind Favre

Peterman sat behind Taylor.....

Now how many guys taken in the 1st round turn out to be franchise QBs? How many bounce around or flame out as busts? 

Brees sat behind Flutie