Bills Chiefs postgame thread

BuffaloBill

24 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Are you saying that if the Bills had a top 1/3 of the league QB and good WRs playing that they would still have turtled on offense? 

I disagree with that assertion- but given who they have, I don’t really fault the offensive play calling.

What Buffalo did right before the 2 minute was exactly what they should have done. Ideally you get a first down or 2 and the game is over, but given how bad the offense is, running twice and giving Taylor a run/pass chance is exactly the right call.

CBS Sports Booth Recap: Gumbel and Green Talk Bills vs. Chiefs (2:16)

CBS Sports: Bills pick off Smith in closing minutes, beat Chiefs 16-10

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) Tyrod Taylor did exactly what he spent the first half of the season doing, back when the Buffalo Bills were off to a hot start and his job was never in question.

He threw for 183 yards and a touchdown. He kept plays alive with his feet. He made sure to avoid interceptions.

Taylor's steady performance against Kansas City on Sunday dovetailed nicely with a stellar game by the Buffalo defense, capped off by Tre'Davious White's interception with about a minute remaining that clinched a much-needed 16-10 victory over Alex Smith and the Chiefs.

20 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Can we call it maintaining an Offense. at least they had some drives this week

Taylor played with more urgency today in my humble opinion.

More tolerable to watch , and with a healthy Benjamin, 

who knows...

Edited by Figster

Just to remind all, as Dick Jauron said: "It's hard to win in the NFL." :P

I'll enjoy this win today, then go back to calling for Dennison's head tomorrow--at times, his play calling infuriates me.

Edited by CSBill

JONES: "EVERY GAME IS PIVOTAL" (1:52)

Bills WR Zay Jones spoke to the media following the team's win against the Chiefs. Jones discusses his touchdown and setting the tone early in the game.

MCCOY: "THEY BALLED OUT" (2:52)

Bills RB LeSean McCoy spoke to the media following the team's win against the Chiefs. McCoy discusses the defensive unit's play and what it was like having Tyrod Taylor back at QB.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Mike Rodak ESPN Staff Writer 

The Bills held the Chiefs to one first down in the first half Sunday, the fewest first downs allowed before halftime by Buffalo since 2001, when the Saints had one against the Bills. The Chiefs' offensive struggles were a combination of very spotty passing by Alex Smith and Buffalo's much-maligned run defense finally clamping down and holding Kareem Hunt to four yards on five carries.

My disappointment is if you can play defense that well every 16 years the game should be put away and it was not even close to the case!

Bad coaching and ideas on how to win!  Jauron ball.

No matter what anyone else has negative to say, I am just happy we added one to the win column. The defense looked prepared this week and the offensive gameplan was enough to get it done. Good win today in a hostile environment. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

CBS Sports: NFL Week 12 Grades: Bears get an 'F' for historically bad showing, Chiefs also fail

Buffalo 16-10 over Kansas City

BUF.png Bills: B+

Tyrod Taylor wasn't great in this game, but one thing he didn't do was throw five interceptions. Taylor threw for 183 yards and one touchdown and then let the Bills' defense do the rest. The Bills completely bottled up Kareem Hunt, holding him to just 17 yards, which was the rookie running back's lowest total of the year. The Bills defense needed a game like this after getting lit up for 54, 57 and 34 points over the past three weeks. 

KC.png Chiefs: F

It seems that the wheels have now completely fallen off the wagon in Kansas City. The Chiefs only totaled 57 yards in the first half, and somehow, things only got worse after that. If there's a panic button in the Chiefs' locker room, someone needs to push it now. As bad as the Chiefs have been in recent weeks, this game might have been rock bottom: They lost to a reeling Bills team and for the first time all season, didn't produce at least 250 yards of total offense (236). 

39 minutes ago, Figster said:

Taylor played with more urgency today in my humble opinion.

More tolerable to watch , and with a healthy Benjamin, 

who knows...

Agree. The whole team finally came out and played hard. They competed and saw no quit in them today. Hopefully this Dareus hangover is behind them. On to NE.....

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

you see tyrod shake his head just before going off screen? 

Has more ever been made of benching a marginal and limited QB?  I am on record as respecting Taylor’s effort and ability to avoid turnovers, but come on, some here act like he was performing at a Hall Of Fame level and was benched irrationally.  

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Some very good and some criminally bad coaching this game. We did what we had to, but we are lucky the Chiefs turned into the Bills the last month or so. They made more questionable calls than we did. 

Next year Mahomes will be starting for KC. 

Our coaches are coaching as if they are more afraid of the qb making a mistake more than a play. It seems as if their instructions to TT is not to lose the game. That's a stifling way to coach and a stifling game to watch. 

The crazy thing is if you take out the Jets, Saints, and Chargers this is exactly how we were winning.  We were playing great defense and then scratch and claw out 20 to 25 points.  Then the lights went out and the defense went home for 3 games.  Don't know what changed exactly from one week to the next but it's a welcome addition having them back.

3 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Has more ever been made of benching a marginal and limited QB?  I am on record as respecting Taylor’s effort and ability to avoid turnovers, but come on, some here act like he was performing at a Hall Of Fame level and was benched irrationally.  

i think the irrational part was the timing of it...   

19 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

HE WAS BENCHED IRRATIONALLY

• Like (+1) 2

As the season advances it's interesting to watch how our draft picks are developing. Our first round pick CB White has generally played well right out of the gate. In this game I thought Dawkins played well although his holding penalty on a big play was damaging. The player that is coming along after a horrible start is Zay Jones. You can see him gaining confidence and making catches that he didn't in the first half of the season. 

1 hour ago, H2o said:

No matter what anyone else has negative to say, I am just happy we added one to the win column. The defense looked prepared this week and the offensive gameplan was enough to get it done. Good win today in a hostile environment. :thumbsup:

Why was it a hostile environment? The place seemed quiet.....

24 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Starting QB was benched by a team in the playoff race for a QB that was not prepared to play...an awful decision by coaches who are supposed to evaluate players

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

As the season advances it's interesting to watch how our draft picks are developing. Our first round pick CB White has generally played well right out of the gate. In this game I thought Dawkins played well although his holding penalty on a big play was damaging. The player that is coming along after a horrible start is Zay Jones. You can see him gaining confidence and making catches that he didn't in the first half of the season. 

I remember the commentator was just praising right when he was called for holding. Chalk it up to commentators curse.

12 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

HE WAS BENCHED IRRATIONALLY

Come now, the offense has been weak the entire season.  Much of that falls on the full offense, but what we are seeing on O is not different than what was seen the previous two years.

i don’t say that Taylor is the entire problem, but he is not the solution either unless you are fielding an all-time great defense and super running game.

8 minutes ago, nucci said:

Why was it a hostile environment? The place seemed quiet.....

Starting QB was benched by a team in the playoff race for a QB that was not prepared to play...an awful decision by coaches who are supposed to evaluate players

Do you really think the defense that was giving up 35+ a game was going to hold the Chargers to below 16 that the O likely would have scored with Taylor at the helm? 

Perhaps, just maybe, the entire team responded to the shakeup of benching Taylor.  Maybe instead of saying McDermott was stupid to bench Taylor, we should praise him for jump-starting a dead team.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I remain puzzled at how the run D held Kareem hunt to 17 yards on 11 carries after getting gashed like they have the last several weeks.

I thought the  defensive linemen and LBers did a good job staying in their lanes and not overcommitting. When the qb isn't much of a threat to throw downfield there is a lot less space for the running game.  

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I thought the  defensive linemen and LBers did a good job staying in their lanes and not overcommitting. When the qb isn't much of a threat to throw downfield there is a lot less space for the running game.  

There has to be more to it, no? They gave up like 200 yards on the ground to the jets, who had no semblance of a QB threat. They gave up 300 on the ground to the saints when the saints basically telegraphed on every play that they were going to run.

Stats that Stood Out

Posted by Chris Brown on November 26, 2017 – 7:47 pm

Here’s a look at some of the stats that stood out in Buffalo’s win over Kansas City Sunday at Arrowhead.

50% – Bills 1st half third down conversion percentage (6-12)
0% – Chiefs 1st half third down conversion percentage (0-6)

28.5% – Chiefs 2nd half third down conversion percentage (2-7)
0% – Bills 2nd half third down conversion percentage (0-5)

33:26 – Bills time of possession – their second-highest total of the season (Wk 8 vs. Oakland – 35:37)

41.1 – Net punting average for Colton Schmidt

4 – Number of Schmidt punts downed inside the Chiefs 20-yard line.

22 – Chiefs average drive start (own 22-yard line)
35 – Bills average drive start (own 35-yard line)

10.2 – Brandon Tate’s punt return average (6 for 61 yards)

2.9 – average yards per carry for Chiefs

55 – total rushing yards by Chiefs

1.5 – Kareem Hunt’s average yards per carry

6 – Number of 3-and-outs for the Chiefs on 13 possessions

2 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

There has to be more to it, no? They gave up like 200 yards on the ground to the jets, who had no semblance of a QB threat. They gave up 300 on the ground to the saints when the saints basically telegraphed on every play that they were going to run.

It was exactly as Sean stated before. Gap control and run fits. If you arent at your spot every single moment on the run play the the rb sees that and runs through your hole. Today are defense was playing their gaps. I also seen a safety play a little closer to the line than normal on what ine would think would be a running play.