Dareus is killing it for the Jags

Klaista2k

Just now, Elite Poster said:

I wanted Ragland at our first round spot when we drafted him. We also were a 3-4 defense at that juncture. 

He did not fit this scheme. 

Really tired of "he did not fit the scheme" as a defense. Guys like him you tweak the scheme and keep. Dennison gets thrown under the bus for this (and rightfully so) on a weekly basis...why do Frazier and McD get a pass on it?

Don't care about the scheme...a stout run stopping LB is always a value.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Really tired of "he did not fit the scheme" as a defense. Guys like him you tweak the scheme and keep. Dennison gets thrown under the bus for this (and rightfully so) on a weekly basis...why do Frazier and McD get a pass on it?

Ragland is way too slow to play 4-3. He would get targeted in the passing game, kind of like Lorenzo...

2 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

I think Dareus and Ragland may have been some help somewhere along the way when the Saints ran the ball 25 times in a row (or whatever the number was).

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Good for him, the Jags and the Bills. Bills should get a 5th round pick for him now. In the off season when Marcel smokes weed, gets the munchies adds pounds and drag races himself into jail the Bills get the last laugh. 

How do you like your grapes?  Sour.

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

Who cares.  He wasn't and would not give 100% effort because he didn't want to be here.  Don't need a slack like him on the team.  It was time to move on.

Move on to what?

Becoming the worst run defense in the NFL?

Jimmity crickets.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

It's truly going to suck watching St. Doug and Mularkey make the playoffs this year especially considering both were the only HC's during the drought to get this team to 9 wins and resigned because they were smart enough to know a terrible front office and incompentent ownership were going to drag them down in the long run.

And that's just it, nothing has truly changed under the Pegulas compared to the Wilson days. It's the same pathetic circus under a new tent.

22 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Killing it?   He has one tackle.

What was missed by most the Bills fans was that he took on the double triple teams allowing other DLs and LBs to make plays. Look what has happened to our run defense since he was jettisoned. As I said before, the move and the horrible return we got for him could have waited till after the year was over..... 

Edited by Spiderweb

22 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

Who cares.  He wasn't and would not give 100% effort because he didn't want to be here.  Don't need a slack like him on the team.  It was time to move on.

Who said he wasn't giving 100%...? oh yeah fans... we always know best.

This fan base played a role in his departure.  He may have been gone next year, but make no mistake, the reason he didn't like Buffalo was the fan base.

Just now, Jobot said:

Who said he wasn't giving 100%...? oh yeah fans... we always know best.

This fan base played a role in his departure.  He may have been gone next year, but make no mistake, the reason he didn't like Buffalo was the fan base.

this is such bull **** i can't believe it.  it's the fans fault?  was it the fan's fault that he failed drug tests?  was it the fan's fault that he was caught drag racing or with synthetic pot?  was it the fan's fault he wasn't showing up to meetings on time?  you're right though...there was no real show that the guy wasn't giving 100%.  

22 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

Dareus is a beast out there for the Jags.

Announcers talking about how the Jags run defense went from one of the worst in the league to one of the best since acquiring him.

What a great move is was trading him! 

I miss Dareus but let's not pretend he was playing against the second coming of Barry Sanders

16 minutes ago, teef said:

this is such bull **** i can't believe it.  it's the fans fault?  was it the fan's fault that he failed drug tests?  was it the fan's fault that he was caught drag racing or with synthetic pot?  was it the fan's fault he wasn't showing up to meetings on time?  you're right though...there was no real show that the guy wasn't giving 100%.  

Coming from a guy who likely frequently posted that Dareus was a lazy sack of ****.... I didn't say it's 100% fans fault... But all year the fans had been riding him for being lazy and fat.  If you listened to Dareus this year while he was still a Bill... this DID BOTHERED HIM.

Maybe a Daerus in better spirits convinces the McB/D staff to retain him in hopes he returns to better form.  A good leader (McD) should be able to maximize potential from an elite player (Dareus).... THIS IS THE JOB OF A COACH.  

Regardless, fans were idiots for wanting him gone this year when he was buying into everything the coaches asked of him and playing great.

1 minute ago, Jobot said:

Coming from a guy who likely frequently posted that Dareus was a lazy sack of ****.... I didn't say it's 100% fans fault... But all year the fans had been riding him for being lazy and fat.  If you listened to Dareus this year while he was still a Bill... this DID BOTHERED HIM.

Maybe a Daerus in better spirits convinces the McB/D staff to retain him in hopes he returns to better form.  A good leader (McD) should be able to maximize potential from an elite player (Dareus).... THIS IS THE JOB OF A COACH.  

Regardless, fans were idiots for wanting him gone this year when he was buying into everything the coaches asked of him and playing great.

what another bunch of nonsense from you.  not once did i ever say that, and in fact, dareus was the last jersey i bought.  i loved the guy for who he was, but he let everyone down.    to your point, do you really think it "bothered" dareus.  if something bothered me, i'd act more professional and at least show up to meetings on time.  his actions certainly don't show that he was bothered by it at all, yet you want to give him a pass?  don't put it on the coach either.  dareus is a grown man who is being paid a lot of money.  it's not a coaches job to baby sit the guy in the off season.  should the coached moved in with him to make sure he doesn't fail drug tests?    also, when was dareus buying into everything the coaches asked of him and playing great?  show me, because it's completely made up.  you just strike me as someone who constantly places blame on others for your own failures.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

There's always a chance he's mentally weak and played weak BECAUSE he knew they were trying to get rid of him. What IS clear is that our FO isn't as smart as they think they are.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

These stats are lies though 26

He is a Fat. lazy. locker room cancer pothead

Tad Dickman‏ 
@Tdickman89

THE DAREUS EFFECT:

Entering Week 9, @Jaguars ranked last in the NFL in rush defense, allowing 138.6 YPG.

JAX traded for DT @marcelldareus on Oct. 28.

In three games since his acquisition, JAX allowing 55.3 rushing YPG.

Where are the Bills stats now?

3 minutes ago, teef said:

what another bunch of nonsense from you.  not once did i ever say that, and in fact, dareus was the last jersey i bought.  i loved the guy for who he was, but he let everyone down.    to your point, do you really think it "bothered" dareus.  if something bothered me, i'd act more professional and at least show up to meetings on time.  his actions certainly don't show that he was bothered by it at all, yet you want to give him a pass?  don't put it on the coach either.  dareus is a grown man who is being paid a lot of money.  it's not a coaches job to baby sit the guy in the off season.  should the coached moved in with him to make sure he doesn't fail drug tests?    also, when was dareus buying into everything the coaches asked of him and playing great?  show me, because it's completely made up.  you just strike me as someone who constantly places blame on others for your own failures.

Lol don't you know that blaming others is the best???

Anyways... what makes you think that Dareus wasn't buying into the coaching staff?  He missed one meeting and it seemed like McD set him straight.  From that point on I heard NOTHING else about his conduct that was disruptive.

Who cares what he did under previous regimes.  No reason to hold a grudge for something that doesn't impact today whatsoever.  And congratulations that you're an emotionless grown up.. Sometimes you've gotta work with people NOT like yourself if you want to go places that you can't go on your own.

19 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Just stop with this incessant crap.

Very depressing day obviously.  When Benjamin gets hurt so early could tell it was bad karma.  But the billionaire owner is not telling the front office to save money.  That is just inane.

If it's such "crap" then why are you so upset by it?   Don't like reality intruding on your excuses? 

The loss Sunday wasn't because of "bad karma".  It was because of the incompetence of the coaching staff and the arrogance of the Bills FO.

19 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

The guy who was playing well, who is helping turn around one of the league's worst Run D's had less to do with our collapse than a guy who never played a snap in the regular season for the Bills and is barely playing in KC. 

um. 

I'm curious as to why the Bills didn't play Ragland even one snap.   What they had out on the field was so superior?  Really?  Or did he pee in McDermott's cereal and get sentenced to be sent to KC?   I'm wondering, too, about why Dareus didn't play more snaps.   The claims were that he wasn't "playing well enough" but he's doing so well in Jacksonville that Marrone has been giving him more snaps.   One explanation, a very snarky one, might be that since the Bills wanted him gone, they wanted the fans to believe he wasn't any good.  Another explanation may be that he's the kind of player who thrives when he's "busy" like a RB who's better carrying the ball 20+ times a game rather than just 5 or 6.   A third explanation may be that the Bills FO didn't want to risk Dareus getting hurt when they were desperately trying to trade him before the trade deadline for whatever reasons they had.

2 hours ago, Tatonka68 said:

Good for him, the Jags and the Bills. Bills should get a 5th round pick for him now. In the off season when Marcel smokes weed, gets the munchies adds pounds and drag races himself into jail the Bills get the last laugh. 

This is the same warning alarms Bills fans constantly chirped while Marshawn Lynch was racking up yards and helping the Seahags to a Super Bowl.  How'd that work out?

1 hour ago, PolishDave said:

Move on to what?

Becoming the worst run defense in the NFL?

Jimmity crickets.

I think we're already there.  It's just that the stats don't accurately reflect current status.

1 hour ago, SaviorPeterman said:

It's truly going to suck watching St. Doug and Mularkey make the playoffs this year especially considering both were the only HC's during the drought to get this team to 9 wins and resigned because they were smart enough to know a terrible front office and incompentent ownership were going to drag them down in the long run.

And that's just it, nothing has truly changed under the Pegulas compared to the Wilson days. It's the same pathetic circus under a new tent.

Welcome to "the Dark Side" where it's not taboo to call a duck a duck when it looks and acts like one.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 3:15 PM, Klaista2k said:

Dareus is a beast out there for the Jags.

Announcers talking about how the Jags run defense went from one of the worst in the league to one of the best since acquiring him.

What a great move is was trading him! 

He was a beast for the Bills.  Too bad fans let their dislike of the person cloud their judgment of the player.

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

These stats are lies though 26

He is a Fat. lazy. locker room cancer pothead

Tad Dickman‏ 
@Tdickman89

THE DAREUS EFFECT:

Entering Week 9, @Jaguars ranked last in the NFL in rush defense, allowing 138.6 YPG.

JAX traded for DT @marcelldareus on Oct. 28.

In three games since his acquisition, JAX allowing 55.3 rushing YPG.

Where are the Bills stats now?

This is sooooooooooooo depressing.  Every time I see or read about the Jags, I will get pissed off. 

What will be really depressing is when someone from the NFL announces:  "With the 19th pick in the 6th round, the Buffalo Bills select Process McProcess."

• Haha (+1) 1

The player the Jags have looks like the player the Bills had, but he's not really the same guy.  The guy who was here was lazy, pampered, self-entitled, and arrogant.  The guy the Jags have is motivated, just like he was when he was here in his contract year.

Dareus has all the talent in the world.  He might turn out to be HOF player in time.  He wasn't going to get any better while he was here.  And the guy we traded wasn't the player who was in his contract year, trying to impress.  He's the fat dumb and happy guy who had his millions and thought the struggle was over.

42 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Lol don't you know that blaming others is the best???

Anyways... what makes you think that Dareus wasn't buying into the coaching staff?  He missed one meeting and it seemed like McD set him straight.  From that point on I heard NOTHING else about his conduct that was disruptive.

Who cares what he did under previous regimes.  No reason to hold a grudge for something that doesn't impact today whatsoever.  And congratulations that you're an emotionless grown up.. Sometimes you've gotta work with people NOT like yourself if you want to go places that you can't go on your own.

it's pretty obvious that you've never had to manage anything significant yet.  it wasn't just about missing a meeting.  it was about dareus's actions as a whole.  you never just look at one incident, but when many incidents pile up, there's a problem there.  if you ignore it, it can be bad for the entire team.  if dareus was really coming on and buying in, why would he be shipped out?   it's nothing more than an assumption on your part.  when dareus signed the contract to receive quite a bit of money from the bills, he made a commitment that he never lived up to.  he may in florida, but he didn't here.  it's too bad.  he's the only guy shipped out this season that i really feel will be missed.

• Like (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I have to admit I was all for the move, but I was wrong.  That was a colossale mistake and it is now a bit absurd to suggest that the Bills run defense has not been severely hampered by that trade.

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

If it's such "crap" then why are you so upset by it?   Don't like reality intruding on your excuses? 

The loss Sunday wasn't because of "bad karma".  It was because of the incompetence of the coaching staff and the arrogance of the Bills FO.

Upset?  Don't give yourself credit.  Your argument is inane, ridiculous, and absurd.  Said objectively and without emotion.

And they lost yesterday in part, a very large part,  because the HC took a calculated risk that blew up in his face.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

This is sooooooooooooo depressing.  Every time I see or read about the Jags, I will get pissed off. 

What will be really depressing is when someone from the NFL announces:  "With the 19th pick in the 6th round, the Buffalo Bills select Process McProcess."

There needs to be a new Jersey Shore season centered around a character named "The Process." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Sorrentino

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/19/2017 at 3:39 PM, HappyDays said:

It wasn’t a move for “now.” For once we have a regime that knows what happens next season is at least as important as what happens this season. Suspension risk, gone. Lazy player, gone. Bloated contract, gone. Like I said we’ll get Lotulelei or Short next year and we will be more than happy.

How much has the defense dropped off since he left? 

I understand your points and don't necessarily disagree, just goes to show tough decisions about skill, effort and how decisions are perceived by the rest of the team are, well, tough! 

The 2017 defense SURELY is missing and going to miss Marcell Dareus, especially in the run game.

However, the trade was absolutely necessary and it has little to do with any off the field/locker room BS and more to do with simple salary cap management.

Dareus' cap hits for the remainder of the contract if he remained on the Bills

2017: 16.4(gauranteed)

2018: 16.58(gauranteed)

2019: 17.99

2020: 16

2021: 14.65

For a 2 down run stuffer(which is what he has become) who is one miscue away from a year-long suspension that is simply a terrible contract, even if he is the BEST run stuffer in all of football.  This is top 10 DL money.  This is roughly 50% of an overpayment for what he brings.  But saying he is overpaid is not really a shocker to most Bills fans.

The problem most fans have is "why now?"  Well, because the plan A all along has been to trade Dareus this season as it offers the Bills the best dead cap option moving forward. 

Cutting Dareus before this year would have cost the Bills roughly $23 mil in 2017 and $14 mil in 2018 and nothing in 2019.  They simply could not take on a $23 mil dead cap number this year based on their other contracts.

Cutting Dareus after this season would have cost the Bills roughly $22 mil in 2018 and $0 in 2019 OR they could have split the charge over two years which would have cost them $14 mil in 2018 and roughly $8 mil in 2019.

Finally, trading Dareus after this season costs the Bills $6.4 mil in 2018 and $7.8 mil in 2019.

Trading Dareus this season cost the Bills a cap penalty of $14.2 mil in 2018 and nothing in 2019.  However, they are SAVING roughly $9 mil on this year's cap, which can then be rolled over into next season effectively increasing the Bills salary cap number by $9 mil and effectively reducing the dead cap charge to roughly $5-6 million.  Meaning the Bills have gotten out of the Dareus contract and has only cost them $5 million against the 2018 cap and NOTHING ELSE.  It is the absolute best possible scenario of getting rid of him.  The return is simply a bonus to the positive cap ramifications of getting a team to take his contract.

I believe the plan A all along was to try as hard as possible to move this contract off the team in this way and I don't think ANYTHING could have prevented Beane and McDermott from doing this.  It is %100 about the money.

In an aside,  the fact that the Jaguars are able to absorb this contract should further the point that what the Bills FO is doing in purging the bad contracts and potential big money guys they had coming up is the wise move.  Keep your salary cap low while you are not a good team, roll over your unspent cap into the future, and SPEND when you have a solid talented team.

Trading Dareus is ABSOLUTELY the right move.