Nathan Peterman to Start this Week.

26CornerBlitz

50 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Pure speculation, but I think Dennison came up to McDermott on Monday and expressed his desire for the QB change.

Did anyone watch Dennison's PC on Monday? In retrospect, I thought it was interesting the way he talked about what transpired for him the night after the game.

He said he called OL coach Waffle  in the middle of the night to talk about OL blocking solutions, which is not something he would normally do... at least not in the middle of the night right after the game. But he said he wasn't going to sleep anyway. 

I think Mcdermott is a really hands off guy when it comes to the offense. More than I thought he might've been.   He planned on starting Taylor moving forward Sunday and even Monday, but had a conversation and a lengthy one with Dennison on Monday and went with his OC.

I would agree that your close on this. It could have been a single conversation. It could have been a recurring subject since training camp but I dont think there is any way this is a Mcdermott only decision. Hes gotten alot of input from dennison. Him saying its his call and only his call is a way of deflecting bkame from others and putting the target squarely on his back(mcdermotts) if it doesnt work. I give mcdermott alot of credit for that. Hes not looking to pass the buck if this move fails.

2 hours ago, PeterGriffin said:

Didn't Hyde call Peterman Nate Favre. Sure doesn't sound like he thinks Nate stinks.

....LOL.....go back and read the 2004 NFL Draft pundits who said, "JP Losman is the heir apparent "gunslinger" to Bret Favre who the Pack will take at #23"................and Dono-Ho-Ho-Ho outfoxed them and "JP Favre" ended up in Buffalo....sure hope "Nate Favre" is a helluva lot better......

29 minutes ago, THEHARDTRUTH said:

I would agree that your close on this. It could have been a single conversation. It could have been a recurring subject since training camp but I dont think there is any way this is a Mcdermott only decision. Hes gotten alot of input from dennison. Him saying its his call and only his call is a way of deflecting bkame from others and putting the target squarely on his back(mcdermotts) if it doesnt work. I give mcdermott alot of credit for that. Hes not looking to pass the buck if this move fails.

I give McD credit for his "buck stops here" mentality and willingness to put himself out there and be accountable. 

That said, there is no way in hell he made the decision in a vacuum as he suggested. 

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I give McD credit for his "buck stops here" mentality and willingness to put himself out there and be accountable. 

That said, there is no way in hell he made the decision in a vacuum as he suggested. 

.....Savage gets benched in favor of Watson......Glennon in favor of Tribusky......Hoyer in favor of Bethard......and of course sort out the 37 benchings in Cleveland......not much from the media.....TT is benched for Peterman and Buffalo is the class clown.....go figure............

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Pure speculation, but I think Dennison came up to McDermott on Monday and expressed his desire for the QB change.

Did anyone watch Dennison's PC on Monday? In retrospect, I thought it was interesting the way he talked about what transpired for him the night after the game.

He said he called OL coach Waffle  in the middle of the night to talk about OL blocking solutions, which is not something he would normally do... at least not in the middle of the night right after the game. But he said he wasn't going to sleep anyway. 

I think Mcdermott is a really hands off guy when it comes to the offense. More than I thought he might've been.   He planned on starting Taylor moving forward Sunday and even Monday, but had a conversation and a lengthy one with Dennison on Monday and went with his OC.

I think it was a collective unit.  McDermott is a calculated guy.  I think he spoke with not only the coaches but some players.  I don't think he makes this decision without consulting with the leaders on this team and the coaching staff.  He has stated more than once he really relies on the Kyle Williams, Lorax, Wood and Incognito for their leadership in the locker room.  

I think you could be right with Dennison coming up to McDermott but I also think it could be the other way around.

I agree.   I would guess that film study showed a consistent trend of Tyrod not executing the offense the way it was designed.   Too many missed reads, etc.  

An OC is severely handicapped if the QB can't/won't follow the blueprint.

...I think the inconsistencies of Dennison's game plans regarding capitalizing on TT's mobility (think he did so for a couple of games and it worked well) did all the talking for HIM.....almost like he wanted to prove a point.......he's hell bent on his vaunted "system" with deviation a no-no just like Fairchild was.......and Peterman probably performs well on Sunday and makes this guy look like a genius......

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I thought Waufle was the DL coach?

https://wham1180.iheart.com/featured/b

"Rookie Nathan Peterman will start at quarterback for the Buffalo Bills Sunday at the Los Angeles Chargers.

Bills coach Sean McDermott on Wednesday morning announced that Tyrod Taylor – 20-18 as Buffalo’s QB the last three years – has been benched.

It seems like only yesterday that the Bills had a surprising 5-2 record and Tyrod’s many critics among the long-frustrated fan base and media were giving him his share of the credit for the team’s success.

Now – the way I see it – Taylor is the scapegoat or fall guy after two embarrassing losses: 34-21 (it wasn’t that close) at the New York Jets and 47-10 at home to New Orleans last Sunday.

Taylor was not the only reason – or even the main reason – for Buffalo’s two-game losing streak. The biggest problem was an overmatched defensive unit that allowed 492 yards and 9 TDs on the ground. Tyrod Taylor does not play defense.

Taylor is far from a complete quarterback. Like most QBs, he has flaws. But much of the media and many fans were quick to point out what he doesn’t do well and downplayed what he does well.

After Peterman led the Bills to a late TD in garbage time against the Saints, I was amazed at the reaction by so many fans and media: “He did more in a few minutes than Tyrod did the entire game.”...”Tom Brady and Tony Romo were undrafted or late draft picks and became stars. Why not give Peterman a chance.”...”Tyrod is too short. Peterman looks more like an NFL quarterback and throws better spirals.”...”We know Taylor isn’t a ‘franchise quarterback.’ Maybe Peterman can be.”

So now Peterman – a fifth-round pick and the 171st selection in the 2017 NFL college draft out of Pittsburgh via Tennessee -- gets his chance. This move probably means Taylor won’t be back in Buffalo next season. No surprise, really. He was inherited by the new regime. He’ll be playing somewhere in the NFL and I believe he will be more respected and appreciated than he has been in western New York.

The Bills currently are 5-4 and the No. 6 seed in the AFC.  Considering how lousy the AFC is this season (14-24 vs. the NFC head-to-head), 10-6 certainly would earn the Bills a wild-card playoff berth. 9-7 or even 8-8 could be good enough.

I’ll be rooting for Peterman while feeling sorry for Taylor. Maybe this move will wake up a slumping team and spark Buffalo into the playoffs. But I won’t be shocked if Peterman is in over his head and Taylor comes off the bench to bail out the Bills in a game or two down the stretch."

ob-matthews-column/content/2017-11-15-matthews-tyrod-taylor-from-hero-to-zero/

29 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....Savage gets benched in favor of Watson......Glennon in favor of Tribusky......Hoyer in favor of Bethard......and of course sort out the 37 benchings in Cleveland......not much from the media.....TT is benched for Peterman and Buffalo is the class clown.....go figure............

I understand your point, but all that the national media, who don't spend much time watching us unless it's on national TV, go by when assessing TT are his gross stats and passer rating. But you have to look inside those numbers for their true meaning and the national media can't because they aren't privy to the inside story. There is no denying TT has good numbers in terms of passer rating but the biggest driver of that stat is his high TD/INT ratio (his YPA is down this year because he doesn't have the deep weapons). But I would suggest his completion percentage and TD/INT ratio is solely because of his desire to make high percentage, low risk passes. It's not like his number of TD passes is solely driving that stat because 10 TDs in 9 games is pedestrian at best. How is he on third downs? How many 3 and outs has he commanded? How many misreads? I could go on but you get the point. 

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I understand your point, but all that the national media, who don't spend much time watching us unless it's on national TV, go by when assessing TT are his gross stats and passer rating. But you have to look inside those numbers for their true meaning and the national media can't because they aren't privy to the inside story. There is no denying TT has good numbers in terms of passer rating but the biggest driver of that stat is his high TD/INT ratio (his YPA is down this year because he doesn't have the deep weapons). But I would suggest his completion percentage and TD/INT ratio is solely because of his desire to make high percentage, low risk passes. It's not like his number of TD passes is solely driving that stat because 10 TDs in 9 games is pedestrian at best. How is he on third downs? How many 3 and outs has he commanded? How many misreads? I could go on but you get the point. 

...understood......but the national media (a/k/a urinalists) seem to surface and pound the Bills for any controversial move......I think moves like the return signing of Thompson ansd the Benjamin trade are improvements for the club...media was dead silent......the Dareus trade and the TT benching?.....OBD trashing  as expected.....

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This makes sense. McDermott said in his post-game presser he had talked with Dennison about making the change at the end of the Saints game. My guess is Dennison wanted to see if Peterman could execute his offense better than Tyrod did, and Peterman showed him he could. So he asked for the permanent change. This might also be a sign that Dennison is coaching for his job. If he used Tyrod as his scapegoat but the offense continues to suck he will be on the hot seat.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This makes sense. McDermott said in his post-game presser he had talked with Dennison about making the change at the end of the Saints game. My guess is Dennison wanted to see if Peterman could execute his offense better than Tyrod did, and Peterman showed him he could. So he asked for the permanent change. This might also be a sign that Dennison is coaching for his job. If he used Tyrod as his scapegoat but the offense continues to suck he will be on the hot seat.

I think the genius who thought Tolbert would be a solid backup is the one who should get axed. 

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Go watch a Giants game.

You'll see Giants defender and dodging tackles left and right.... That locker room is beyond lost. McAdoo should've been fired weeks ago.

Reading comprehension isn't exactly your forte.  I am speaking about the Buffalo Bills, which was clear from my post.  Not any other team.

And your comment actually reinforces what I said later in the thread; locker rooms are lost when coaches don't do what they should.

....sorry for the analogy but.....Dennison was OC to Kubiak BUT Kubiak was the offensive mind......Marrone was the OC to Payton BUT Payton was the offensive mind.....BOTH were empty suit OC's carrying the clipboard for the real guys with the offensive noodle......and now that Dennison is forced to stand on his OWN TWO FEET, he is as effective as Steve Fairchild (I prefer FoulCHILD) was........what has Dennison exactly shown to date?.......

23 minutes ago, JM2009 said:

I think the genius who thought Tolbert would be a solid backup is the one who should get axed. 

I think it is less Tolbert's ability and more the way Dennison insists on using him. I like Tolbert as a thunder to McCoy's lightning. It just makes no sense to throw tosses, quick screens, and short dump-offs designed for YAC to your thunder guy. Run him between the tackles. Let the Toldozer get downhill.

All that said... we could use another HB. 

1 hour ago, JM2009 said:

Agree, there are 2 players on our team that are so bad they may not make another roster. Ducasse & Tolbert. How in God's name we parade them out there every week is disheartening to fans.

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....sorry for the analogy but.....Dennison was OC to Kubiak BUT Kubiak was the offensive mind......Marrone was the OC to Payton BUT Payton was the offensive mind.....BOTH were empty suit OC's carrying the clipboard for the real guys with the offensive noodle......and now that Dennison is forced to stand on his OWN TWO FEET, he is as effective as Steve Fairchild (I prefer FoulCHILD) was........what has Dennison exactly shown to date?.......

This is lazy and speculative. 

Doug Pederson was an "empty suit" OC for Andy Reid and he's now running one of the top offenses in the NFL. 

I'm not going to judge Dennison on 9 games with a very limited QB. What were we supposed to do? Design an offense around Taylor like he''s Cam Newton or Vick? Sorry, he's not that dynamic and talented. And no matter what offensive design, you can only hide your QB for so long until he is going to have to make plays FROM THE POCKET. Play action is not as effective down 2 scores in the 3rd quarter. You can't move him around every pass play.

The only thing that is questionable here is the timing- IN THAT THIS DIDN'T HAPPEN SOONER. Should have started Peterman game 1. Or at least made it an open competition in camp.

If you want to talk Run-Pass-Option for Taylor - here's a tough reality: You need to be able to read the defense to effectively utilize RPO. Taylor can't do it.

If you want to talk how the Chiefs tailored their offense to Alex Smith- teams are catching up. I guarantee you that Mahomes is starting there by the end of the season.

I'm going to enjoy popcorn peter  vanilla beane and mcdorkey exit from the league....... At least when chip Kelly tried this crap he had a history of winning. This regime did not get the job based on merits might be  the pelugas like a people that look more like us

Edited by liverpoolkev

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Former Pats OC on the change

This should be rather obvious, and it was to me when I first heard about the change. I didn't expect McDermott would do it, because it's not the conservative safe play. But the reason for it should not be a mystery, especially considering that Lynn called plays for Tyrod last year and knows his limitations as well as any coach on the Bills current staff. 

1. I have a rule: no studying garbage time film. It can paint a false picture, just like preseason film. But having never seen Nathan Peterman, curiosity pushed me to watch his final 11 snaps against the Saints. Flipping through quickly, I couldn’t help but notice Peterman’s decisiveness. He attacked route combinations on time, and the ball left his hands promptly. Maybe it was because he knew the Saints would be in soft zone coverage. Even so, there was a dropback rhythm that you almost never saw with Tyrod Taylor. We’ll find out about Peterman when he takes meaningful snaps against the Chargers this Sunday. But Peterman aside, benching Taylor was understandable. I’ve documented his limitations during this season, before the season and heading into last season. It’s not surprising that a coaching staff that didn’t bring in Taylor is eager to replace him.

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

I see Dennison gone next year. He had a chance to be as innovative with TT as Lynn was and he pulled a Rex. Dumped Watkins,  Woods, Gillislee, Williams etc then doubled down by asking TT to become a pocket wco qb. But he has no problem keeping Ducasse, Tolbert and DiMarco?  Really? I am excited to see Peterman but we're going nowhere offensively with RD......

Edited by LABILLBACKER

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

the question that Peterman will answer by starting the remainder of this year, is where exactly they look for a QB in the draft. If he does poorly, it will be a first round QB. If he does okay, It might still be a first round QB or 2nd round. If however he lights it up, we are looking at 5th round or later.

Brooks: Jags possess most high-end talent in NFL

Former NFL player and scout Bucky Brooks knows the ins and outs of this league, providing keen insight in his notebook. The topics of this edition include:

-- Reaction to Buffalo's sudden quarterback change to rookie Nathan Peterman.

BILLS' QUARTERBACK CHANGE: How'll Peterman fit in this offense?

Peterman, the 171st overall pick this past April, is a classic pocket passer with C+ arm talent. Although he lacks the cannon to push the ball to every area of the field, he is a rhythm passer adept at getting the ball "out and up" quickly on deep throws. As a "connect the dots" passer from the pocket, Peterman is at his best working the short and intermediate areas of the field. Peterman's ability to rapidly work through progressions -- and get to his second or third option -- made him an effective passer at Pitt. He completed 61.1 percent of his passes and posted a 47:15 TD-to-INT ratio while averaging 8.3 yards per attempt during his two-year stint as a starter. Those numbers were complemented by the 518 rushing yards and three rushing scores Peterman amassed while directing Panthers' unique pro-style offense, which featured a lot of misdirection action (jet sweep) and option plays in the backfield. Although he isn't an A-level athlete or an explosive dual-threat playmaker, Peterman has enough mobility and movement skills to be a competent runner on zone-read plays and some designed quarterback runs.

Peterman could indeed be ready, generally speaking, but I have concerns about a rookie quarterback at the helm of this offense. The newly minted starter has a more traditional game that will alter the way defenses attack the Bills and their 15th-ranked running game. Instead of assigning a defender to monitor the quarterback on zone-read plays, defensive coordinators will use the extra man to crowd the box and neutralize LeSean McCoy. When this plus-one approach is combined with man coverage on the outside, the Bills could face as many as nine defenders in the box on obvious run downs.

With that in mind, Peterman must be able to threaten opponents with the deep ball to keep the safeties from creeping near the line of scrimmage. If he is able to get the ball to Kelvin Benjamin or Jordan Matthews on a handful of vertical routes, defensive coordinators will pause a bit before condensing the field with the loaded boxes. Thus, the pressure is also on the Bills' receivers to win their one-on-one battles on the outside against press coverage. Considering the lack of speed and explosiveness Benjamin and Matthews bring to the table, Peterman's back-shoulder-fade game will need to be on point for Buffalo's offense to flourish.