Nathan Peterman to Start this Week.

26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Watch at 45 seconds here and the play right after.  Does throwing a dart 30 yards downfield and having a audible "thud" when Benjamin catches it seem like a QB with a weak arm?  it doesn't to me.  At least I can't remember ever seeing a weak arm QB throw a ball like that. Certainly not "hearing" the thud of a ball from a weak arm QB 30 yards downfield...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXibjvq9LyE&feature=player_embedded

That is not a dart. That's a well thrown ball. I knew he could do that. He did that in college.

10 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

If he is a mediocre backup then wouldn't he be even more likely to lose than Tyrod?  I love this news. Now we can see what we have in Peterman, if anything, prior to the draft. Oh, and if by chance he DOES succeed?  Bonus!

I think this is why the timing is brilliant. Put him in games when it still mattered and see IF the kid can handle the spot light and the pressure. you find out quickliy what the mental make up of the QB. Then they know what they have to do next year.

8 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I don't know about the knock on Peterman and his arm strength...there were 2 throws to Benjamin in the Saints game where he threw a bullet one about 30 yards and the other 20 yards on the money that had some real zip on it...in fact the 30 yard throw could be heard on TV when it hit Benjamin...QBs with noodle arms can't throw like that and you certainly don't hear the ball thud into the WR

I agree - I have said myself that his armstrength is questionable. He can't throw the 50 yard bombs with velocity that many QBs routinely do, but his armstrength is adequate for west coast O. And over time, his armstrength can grow. Look at Alex Smith.

Edited by CanadianFan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This isn’t true. Ravens fans want Flacco gone and regret his contract. He also doesn’t have anyone backing him up that has a chance of doing something. Peterman is a rookie and has shown promise so it makes sense to make the switch. Benching Flacco now wouldn’t lead to anything but if the Ravens aren’t trying to replace him next year they aren’t trying to win.

9 minutes ago, CanadianFan said:

I agree - I have said myself that his armstrength is questionable. He can't throw the 50 yard bombs with velocity that many QBs routinely do, but his armstrength is adequate for west coast O. And over time, his armstrength can grow. Look at Alex Smith.

Arm strength can be second to accuracy (i.e. Late career Peyton and Rivers - both successful noodles). But if you aren't consistently accurate with your throws, which includes timing, you're in trouble. 

Here's to hoping his strength develops, but I'd rather see the accuracy piece first. He's going to need that 50 yard accuracy AND strength if we ever get a break with one-on-one coverage. 

Edited by ctk232

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This isn’t true. Ravens fans want Flacco gone and regret his contract. He also doesn’t have anyone backing him up that has a chance of doing something. Peterman is a rookie and has shown promise so it makes sense to make the switch. Benching Flacco now wouldn’t lead to anything but if the Ravens aren’t trying to replace him next year they aren’t trying to win.

True?  Hard to say.  I've heard the rumors though

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

we will soon see the truth or fiction on his arm strength Sunday @ 4 PM

Maybe, maybe not. He played in four games in preseason and we didn't see one pass that proved he had it because he didn't try any. I don't think he will try many if any this week. I doubt he will even have the time.

He doesn't have a total rag arm, which would be a total disqualifier, like a Kellen Moore does (and I have been guilty of calling Peterman's a rag arm at times, it's not). He's like a tweener. What we don't know yet is if it is strong enough to get by consistently in the NFL.

I have big doubts but it's not a given either way. Some scouts thought so, some didn't. Some fans/press/professionals put more weight on arm strength than others. If it's strong enough he has a chance to be Kirk Cousins. Personally, I haven't seen it yet. And that is why he was drafted so late (because he clearly has a lot of QB talent). But it's just an opinion.

22 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I love watching big Mike Tolbert run into a wall on 1st and 2nd down for no gain.??

And the past two weeks when the offense has sucked how many rushes has Tolbert had? Nobody despises Tolbert being out there as much as me... and that is on McDermott and Beane.... but over running Tolbert is not the reason the O has sucked the past 2 weeks. 

5 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Arm strength can be second to accuracy (i.e. Late career Peyton and Rivers - both successful noodles). But if you aren't consistently accurate with your throws, which includes timing, you're in trouble. 

Here's to hoping his strength develops, but I'd rather see the accuracy piece first. He's going to need that 50 yard accuracy AND strength if we ever get a break with one-on-one coverage. 

"Arm strength" as it applies to whether or not a guy hasn an NFL arm and "can make all the throws" has little to do with a 50 yard pass.

8 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Yes I agree. going from my vague memory his pre-season quick throws are accurate when his feet are set correctly. There are tmes when he fires the ball and it goes completely off the target - and that to me is his footwork.  His accuracy suffered under pressure. I think we're going to see heavy blitz from Chargers on passing downs. 

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It had everything to do with last game. If he threw for 200 yards he wouldn’t have been benched. 

Everything in the sense of the straw that broke the camel's back maybe, but I don't see McD as the type of coach to pull a player based on one bad game. TT has had many in his tenure and it's his whole body of work in that regard that informs the decision more than anything. 

Just now, CanadianFan said:

Yes I agree. going from my vague memory his pre-season quick throws are accurate when his feet are set correctly. There are tmes when he fires the ball and it goes completely off the target - and that to me is his footwork.  His accuracy suffered under pressure. I think we're going to see heavy blitz from Chargers on passing downs. 

Remember the huge to do about Deshaun Watson's lack of arm strength at this years combine?  Had the weakest arm with the poorest velocity of any quarterback there.  If any of these guys truly had a "noodle arm" they wouldnt be in the NFL.    Peterman can make up for the lack of velocity by being ahead of the curve when it comes to reading defenses and getting the ball out quickly.

Where I think the real issue is with Nate is his inaccuracy.   Has a tendency to miss wide and high.

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Per McDermott.

QUICK HITS: PETERMAN TO START AT QB SUNDAY

11-15: Sean McDermott Presser - Announces Peterman as Starting QB (16:31)

5 REASONS WHY MCDERMOTT MADE A QB CHANGE

mcdermott-5-reason-story.jpg

There’s no question that Sean McDermott has made a bold decision in deciding to go with rookie Nate Peterman as his starting quarterback this week at Los Angeles. Here’s a look at why that decision was made.

YEEEEEEESSSS!!!!!

About time, should have been from the get go.

We all knew what Tyrod could do, glad McD saw for himself and found out what we all (well most intelligent posters) knew.

No matter what happens with Peterman, the Tyrod era is over. Now we can finally get down to finding our QB.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Everything in the sense of the straw that broke the camel's back maybe, but I don't see McD as the type of coach to pull a player based on one bad game. TT has had many in his tenure and it's his whole body of work in that regard that informs the decision more than anything. 

I didnt see McD as the kind of coach to change his offensive strategy a few times in one season. I didn't see him as a coach to have such highs and such lows. I didn't see him as a coach to watch his team not stop the run or the pass and then not do much of anything to try to take at least one of them away.