Favorite Pizzerias in WNY

Buffalo716

Bocce on Bailey will always be #1

La Hacienda on Hertel is also excellent

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

You would love Rocco's then

cooked extremely well and no sogginess at all

it has the crisp dry bottom that wood fire is known for and is just grade A pizza

Definitely worth it when your back up here 

they fire their oven at 900 degrees 

If you like Rocco's, have you made your way out to Roost on Niagara St?

They have awesome variety, and the pizza menu changes every other week or so--pizzas cook in about 90 seconds.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, The Dean said:

Way back when (late 70s early 80s) when La Nova was all the rage, I thought Mr Pizza (which was close to La Nova) made a better pie. Tried one years later (on Elmwood?) and it sucked.

Always liked Bocce (and Milano's I think?--Bocce offshoot), but it wasn't something I could eat all the time. It was a good "change of pace" pizza. The Kenneth Davis of pizza.

Strangely, when I return to WNY, I'm drawn more to the sheet pizza of places like Mr Ventry's and Pizza Oven in Niagara Falls. Already made (yet somehow still hot and fresh, and never under a heat lamp) and sold by the slice.

I still like LaNova's.  But, unlike during the 70s and 80s, it now costs the same as a nice dinner in a decent restaurant (and the staff there... oy.)

10 hours ago, The Dean said:

Well, a good pizza is worth it, IMO.

No GREAT pizza in St Augustine. There is one pretty good Italian restaurant with a wood burning pizza/bread oven, imported from Italy. They make all their own pastas, and of course, pizza. They don't have a big toppings list (very traditional Italian--no pepperoni) and no choice of size---it's probably a 10"-12" pizza. I usually get the margherita (fresh basil/mozzarella) and have them put some of their house-made spicy sausage on it.  Now, it isn't GREAT, but it is, by far, the best pizza around here. It's also about $15. But I'd rather spend the $ for good pizza, because crappy pizza isn't worth buying, no matter how cheap it is. I mean it's OK if you have to feed a bunch of kids---but fortunately, I don't have that issue.

Also, I always order my pizza "well done, crispy crust". I hate a soggy crust. I'm fine if the bottom is a bit black.

Try the Vilano Grill 180. I always ended up ordering one in a pocket, but the pizza itself people seem to enjoy.  (I think it is the water that makes St Augustine pizza taste ummm, not-so-good.) 

32 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I still like LaNova's.  But, unlike during the 70s and 80s, it now costs the same as a nice dinner in a decent restaurant (and the staff there... oy.)

Try the Vilano Grill 180. I always ended up ordering one in a pocket, but the pizza itself people seem to enjoy.  (I think it is the water that makes St Augustine pizza taste ummm, not-so-good.) 

I've had Vilano 180's pizza on a few occasions. It's OK. What was way better, IMO, was Benito's (same location) when Tony was manning the pizza station. He and his father, Sal, opened a pizzeria in St Aug Beach. It didn't last long. The pizza was inconsistent, and there were other issues we do not need to discuss. Tony's now making pizza at Giovanni's out near the outlet malls.  

There is a place that used to have terrific pizza was Antonio's out on Rte 13, in Colee Cove, right by the St John's river. Owner is from Buffalo. Makes (or at least, made) homemade sausage. But his pizza started going downhill---bad and fast. Not sure what happened. Don't even know if he is in business, anymore. 

The best pizza around here, IMO, is at Terra and Acqua, in the Seagrove plaza, in St Aug Beach. 

10 hours ago, The Dean said:

I do like GOOD pepperoni, like Ezzo's. But I can do without most of the fake garbage they put on most pizzas. WNY pizzerias even have a special pepperoni created especially for them:

https://www.ezzo.com/products.html

But a good crumbled spicy Italian sausage works for me, too.

Is it possible for me to order the pepperoni from Ezzo for my own pizza (not a pizza shop owner)? Can't find that typical pepperoni in the grocery stores. I can tell it's the right stuff because it is crispy around the edges.

6 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Anyone know if there are still Mr. Shoes pizza joints in Rochester?  I swear, my roommates and I kept that place in business while we were living in Seabreeze (Irondequoit).  Great pizza and even better wings.

I think there's still a couple around. The one in Seabreeze is now Starvin Marvins or something like that. Years ago I tried ordering a pizza from Mr Shoes about 10 PM on a Friday and was told that they were out of cheese, I never called them back.

Guida's on Empire and Nino's on Culver are my favorites

Bocces and Mattinas are my favorites. The owners are brothers so they are very similar. I used to also really like the pizza place in the Boulevard Mall, but havnt had it in 13 or 14 years and honestly cant remember how good it really was (or not).

13 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Rochester Proietties  Pizza

Ninos pizza on culver and merchants 

Back when I lived in Rochester my faves were Nino's Sicilian style, Chester Cab's Chicago stuffed, and Pizza Stop or Brooklyn Joes for thin crust NY style.  

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Anyone know if there are still Mr. Shoes pizza joints in Rochester?  I swear, my roommates and I kept that place in business while we were living in Seabreeze (Irondequoit).  Great pizza and even better wings.

There is still a Mr. Shoes on South Ave near U of R.  That was my go to for a few years when I lived in the area.

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I was going to say not one good pizza place in Buffalo, as I am not a fan of Buffalo pizza! But will have to try this Roccos .

Having said that, growing up LaHacienda in the Falls was as close to NYC pizza as one could get, but having experienced so much great pizza since I have moved that even seems pale by comparison now.

Now I do like to go to VPN Certified pizza places if at all possible as i too like thin crust, crispy, pizza. 

http://americas.pizzanapoletana.org/

Interesting. Never heard of VPN. Checking it out now. 

The map on the site shows Florida as having some members, but when you click on it, no Florida places appear. Also, I notice some of the best pizzerias I've been to aren't members. Oh well. I'll make sure to check it out if I'm traveling. 

As to La Hacienda, the last time I had a pie there it was still good, but not as good as it used to be.  (Do you remember when La Hacienda was way down Pine Ave, across the street from the hospital?) And you are right, compared to REAL Italian pizza, it isn't as good as the best of those. But last time I was in San Francisco, I went to one of the highest rated places for slices (I love a good slice joint). And you know what? It tasted amazingly similar to La Hacienda. Also went to a place in the Village (NYC) called Fiore's (had to, since my last name is Fiori). Very nice slice---tasted a lot like La Hacienda. It was no John's, but it was pretty tasty.

13 hours ago, The Dean said:

Not sure if it is still there (the owner has been trying to sell it), but La Hacienda, in Niagara Falls, was always my favorite. (No relation to Bob and John's La Hacienda.)

It's still there. Was there just 2 years ago.

I grew up on Pasquale's (back when it was on Seneca next to South Buffalo), as well as some Nino's on Orchard Park Rd. Nino's had the thick-cut pepperoni that would curl up and hold in the grease.....good stuff.

Edited by Seasons1992
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Is it possible for me to order the pepperoni from Ezzo for my own pizza (not a pizza shop owner)? Can't find that typical pepperoni in the grocery stores. I can tell it's the right stuff because it is crispy around the edges.

I think you can, though the minimum order is 10 or 20 lbs, I think. I told a pizzeria around here about it (the place had terrible pepperoni) and the owner was VERY excited. "That's what I've been trying to find", he said. So I gave him the website URL, phone number, etc. He never converted to it, though. Too expensive, he said.

Looks like I'm a little late to the conversation, but I'd like to take the opportunity to ask a pizza related question someone might be able to help answer for me -

There was a place, I think like "Nancy's"; I think it was on a East-West road like Sheridan, on the westerly part.  It looked like a '50s style diner & was the 1st place I ever encountered where you could buy pizza by the slice.  Pretty good if you wanted to eat out for pizza.  This would've been the mid '80s.

What was it's name & where was it?  Thanks.

p.s. I was found of Bocce's.  I've ordered it a few times half-baked overnight (I live in Albany), but it doesn't seem as good as I remembered.

5 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I grew up on Pasquale's (back when it was on Seneca next to South Buffalo), as well as some Nino's on Orchard Park Rd. Nino's had the thick-cut pepperoni that would curl up and hold in the grease.....good stuff.

2 years ago is about the last time I was there. But I know he has been trying to sell. 

13 hours ago, The Dean said:

Aren't there some brick/wood/coal oven, thin crust (real Italian style) pizzerias in WNY? When I moved back in 2002, for a couple years, I think there were one or two. I'm embarrassed to say I never got to one of them. 

As for grease, I'd rather it not be greasy. But many of the best pizzas I've ever had were greasy.

For the Rochester crowd, Fiamma in Gates is good Neapolitan style.  Osteria Rocco on Upper Monroe is also a great choice for pie and your Italian cravings.

This thread is making me sad that I now live in a pizza and deli wasteland.   

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

For the Rochester crowd, Fiamma in Gates is good Neapolitan style.  Osteria Rocco on Upper Monroe is also a great choice for pie and your Italian cravings.

This thread is making me sad that I now live in a pizza and deli wasteland.   

I'd kill for a good pizza right now.

4 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I think you can, though the minimum order is 10 or 20 lbs, I think. I told a pizzeria around here about it (the place had terrible pepperoni) and the owner was VERY excited. "That's what I've been trying to find", he said. So I gave him the website URL, phone number, etc. He never converted to it, though. Too expensive, he said.

Might be worth it for me to buy 10 pounds of it and sell 7 pounds to a local pizzeria. That style of pepperoni is sooo worth it.

Just now, The Dean said:

I'd kill for a good pizza right now.

The only thing sadder than Texas pizza is what passes for wings down here.  Just shameful.  The original immigrants are all German and Dutch.  Not one I-talian in this god forsaken town.  You can't even get a decent sandwich.  In a city of transplants its just bizarre that I can find way better and more authentic Sichuan or Vietnamese than classic American fare.

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

The only thing sadder than Texas pizza is what passes for wings down here.  Just shameful.  The original immigrants are all German and Dutch.  Not one I-talian in this god forsaken town.  You can't even get a decent sandwich.  In a city of transplants its just bizarre that I can find way better and more authentic Sichuan or Vietnamese than classic American fare.

But you have good Tex Mex.

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I was going to say not one good pizza place in Buffalo, as I am not a fan of Buffalo pizza! But will have to try this Roccos .

Having said that, growing up LaHacienda in the Falls was as close to NYC pizza as one could get, but having experienced so much great pizza since I have moved that even seems pale by comparison now.

Now I do like to go to VPN Certified pizza places if at all possible as i too like thin crust, crispy, pizza. 

http://americas.pizzanapoletana.org/

La Hacienda is for sale.  Great Pizza.

21 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Might be worth it for me to buy 10 pounds of it and sell 7 pounds to a local pizzeria. That style of pepperoni is sooo worth it.

I was thinking of getting a few friends together to split an order. I never thought of approaching a pizza place. 

17 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Check out the VPN site plenz linked. There are many of those VPN member pizzerias in Texas (but none in Florida). Maybe one close enough for you to make a day trip. I know there are times I'd drive a couple hours for a great pizza.

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Culver and Durand Park entrance Lake road.  

I lived right around the corner for about 9 years. 

42 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Back when I lived in Rochester my faves were Nino's Sicilian style, Chester Cab's Chicago stuffed, and Pizza Stop or Brooklyn Joes for thin crust NY style.  

There is still a Mr. Shoes on South Ave near U of R.  That was my go to for a few years when I lived in the area.

Nino's was the best when I lived in that area.  

Any Falls folks remember Trusello's Bakery pizza? Way better than DiCamillo's. So was their bread.  I know they reopened a couple years ago, then closed when their bread man died (or so I heard).

Is the Trusello's in Lewiston still around? Last time I was there they weren't making bread. Had to go to some guy in Wilson.

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Two things I'm noticing in this thread:

Lots of guys seem hungry.

Lots of guys seem homesick.

Good eye, I am both. 

(But I think of Sarasota, FL as home now, and the WNY pizza ex-pats there do the trick for me.)

4 hours ago, The Dean said:

Any Falls folks remember Trusello's Bakery pizza? Way better than DiCamillo's. So was their bread.  I know they reopened a couple years ago, then closed when their bread man died (or so I heard).

Is the Trusello's in Lewiston still around? Last time I was there they weren't making bread. Had to go to some guy in Wilson.

I used to go to DiCamillos for their “cold pizza” slice when I was up at our NF office.  Great stuff.  

5 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Yes. Nino’s. Orchard Park Rd. Right down the road from our first house. My wife and I loved it!!

You guys are killing me. All I've thought about all day is pizza. I was helping a client, the owner of a local cigar shop-- my last call of the day.  I think I shook him up a bit when I aggressively announced, "If I don't get a good pizza SOON, I'm going to kill someone. "

Everyone is safe (well, from me anyway). The best pizza in St Aug, with some bourbon on the side.

They forgot the fresh basil. Still it was very hard for me to not eat the entire pie.

Terra and Acqua-min__4.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Dean said:

You guys are killing me. All I've thought about all day is pizza. I was helping a client, the owner of a local cigar shop-- my last call of the day.  I think I shook him up a bit when I aggressively announced, "If I don't get a good pizza SOON, I'm going to kill someone. "

Everyone is safe (well, from me anyway). The best pizza in St Aug, with some bourbon on the side.

They forgot the fresh basil. Still it was very hard for me to not eat the entire pie.

Looks great!

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

I woulda ate the whole thing

the worst that can happen is a heart attack

im prepared to go for some good pizza

• 2 weeks later...

@the dean , Pizzeria Vetri today in the District. Been to a few of his restaurants in Philly, first time at this place. Very good fennel sausage pie, great crispy crust, not enough sausage. 

Overall very good wood fired pizza , recommend for anyone in NW DC. 

Edited by plenzmd1

On 11/9/2017 at 10:07 PM, BringBackFergy said:

Santoras was decent. They still have one on Transit in West Seneca I think near the apple cider mill (Myers?). 

Just north of Clinton on the left side of transit

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:23 PM, The Dean said:

Aren't there some brick/wood/coal oven, thin crust (real Italian style) pizzerias in WNY? When I moved back in 2002, for a couple years, I think there were one or two. I'm embarrassed to say I never got to one of them. 

As for grease, I'd rather it not be greasy. But many of the best pizzas I've ever had were greasy.

Dean, Gallo is a new coal fire pizzeria in Lewiston. Food is terrific, give it a try when you come back home.

http://gallocoalfire.com/

On 11/9/2017 at 10:49 PM, Kelly the Dog said:

Funny you said both of those. I go to Sarasota fairly often, at least once a year. Go to Casa de Pizza all the time. It's about a mile from where I stay. The Just Pizza was a mile from where I used to stay and it sucked for some reason.

The Buffalo Casa de Pizza was by my mother's house, on Elmwood Ave, a block from Bryant Street by the old Children's Hospital. I think I heard it recently shut down but was there for 30-40 years I think. Really great food all around. 

And Bocce's was always my favorite.

Good call on Casa Di Pizza... we go to the one on SR64 in Bradenton. Really the only place down here to get a decent pie that I'm aware of.

If anyone remembers Vargo's in Lancaster, that used to be my go to pizza joint... I actually have their sauce recipe.

Edited by T&C