Favorite Pizzerias in WNY

Buffalo716

Franco's - the official pizza of St. Joseph's Collegiate Institute. I swear we kept that place in business. Fantastic stuff. 

Leonardi's  on Millersport is really good too, but their pie is expensive. 

I was really excited to try Blasdell Pizza in West Seneca, but I found it pretty meh. Anyone been to Carbone's? Heard its the best in WNY but I don't want to make the trip out there to be disappointed. 

23 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Dean, Gallo is a new coal fire pizzeria in Lewiston. Food is terrific, give it a try when you come back home.

http://gallocoalfire.com/

22 hours ago, 145B4IDIE said:

Damn!  Both of those places look awesome. 

Since my last great pizza (11/10). I've tried one new place here. Stoner's Pizza Joint. Their use the slogan "Stone Baked Pizza" on their boxes and menu, but I swear I saw one of those conveyer belts you see in many pizza chains.  I was immediately turned off by the woman behind the counter, who seemed annoyed at my questions, and not very friendly or knowledgeable about pizza. But I sucked it up and took my chances. Pedestrian, at best. I improved the leftover slices quite a bit, on reheating them later in the week. But never again.

I blew it!

My family is here this’d week for my mom’s 90th BDay. I should have ordered Bocce’s and had it overnighted for game day.  We’re having Sahlens hot dogs, but the pizza would have been a nice addition. 

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

I blew it!

My family is here this’d week for my mom’s 90th BDay. I should have ordered Bocce’s and had it overnighted for game day.  We’re having Sahlens hot dogs, but the pizza would have been a nice addition. 

You blew it!

9 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I read an article over the weekend about some startup called Zume Pizza, which is made by robots and cooked enroute to your house so it arrives piping hot. Not a bad idea, if it's good pizza, which it won't be. 

that sounds like something from the 1980s.

On 11/9/2017 at 10:07 PM, BringBackFergy said:

Santoras was decent. They still have one on Transit in West Seneca I think near the apple cider mill (Myers?). 

Santora's/Picasso's (do they have same ownership now?) is my go-to when I visit Lancaster.  For some reason it doesn't always agree with me going the other way though -  although always also gorging almost exclusively on wings / beef on weck (Franks), Ted's, and Zorba's might have something to do with it

Edited by stevewin

4 hours ago, stevewin said:

Santora's/Picasso's (do they have same ownership now?) is my go-to when I visit Lancaster.  For some reason it doesn't always agree with me going the other way though -  although always also gorging almost exclusively on wings / beef on weck (Franks), Ted's, and Zorba's might have something to do with it

I have the same problem. Get back to Buffalo to visit folks and go to games 6-10 times each year and always get JustPizza (Center Rd. West Seneca) three cheese steak pizza and BBQ wings. Then another night it’s BarBill for wings, then to Pasquales for cheese pepp. Then Teds. My eyes tell me one thing, and my intestines tell me another. Soooo damn good. 

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

I have the same problem. Get back to Buffalo to visit folks and go to games 6-10 times each year and always get JustPizza (Center Rd. West Seneca) three cheese steak pizza and BBQ wings. Then another night it’s BarBill for wings, then to Pasquales for cheese pepp. Then Teds. My eyes tell me one thing, and my intestines tell me another. Soooo damn good. 

Then that was compounded by white hots at the tailgate, all us transplants have gone through the painful food weekends!

So much wiser now, especially with so many good restaurants downtown now..even had great sushi in Buffalo a few trips back! 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Then that was compounded by white hots at the tailgate, all us transplants have gone through the painful food weekends!

So much wiser now, especially with so many good restaurants downtown now..even had great sushi in Buffalo a few trips back! 

Yeah and then your families suffer the disgusting stinky aftermath..... :sick: 

• Haha (+1) 1

Pontillos will always have a place in my heart, considering I worked there for 5ish years. If there weren't so many damn pizza places I would open one myself, loved the work but you've gotta do it for yourself otherwise you make no money lol

On 11/10/2017 at 3:54 PM, Augie said:

Good eye, I am both. 

(But I think of Sarasota, FL as home now, and the WNY pizza ex-pats there do the trick for me.)

I am an ex=Sarasotian. Moved back home, couldn't take it anymore. Somehow managed to convince my Venice Beach native wife to come with me haha

But on topic, Pizza Chef on Fruitville near 75  (plaza with Publix)is amazing. Family is from one of the buroughs I believe. And if you're on the island in Venice, Ntinos. Doesn't look like a pizza place but trust me, order the pizza.

18 minutes ago, Luka said:

Pontillos will always have a place in my heart, considering I worked there for 5ish years. If there weren't so many damn pizza places I would open one myself, loved the work but you've gotta do it for yourself otherwise you make no money lol

I am an ex=Sarasotian. Moved back home, couldn't take it anymore. Somehow managed to convince my Venice Beach native wife to come with me haha

But on topic, Pizza Chef on Fruitville near 75  (plaza with Publix)is amazing. Family is from one of the buroughs I believe. And if you're on the island in Venice, Ntinos. Doesn't look like a pizza place but trust me, order the pizza.

Thanks, I’ll look to check them out when I get back. Pizza Chef (which I️ don’t remember but we’re about 8 years removed) is only one exit from Casa Di Pizza off University which I loved! 

Portillo was in Gulf Gate in Sarasota, but they are gone now, sadly. 

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

Thanks, I’ll look to check them out when I get back. Pizza Chef (which I️ don’t remember but we’re about 8 years removed) is only one exit from Casa Di Pizza off University which I loved! 

Portillo was in Gulf Gate in Sarasota, but they are gone now, sadly. 

Yea, the guy that owned that one was the brother of the guy I worked for up here. His first Pontillos outside of WNY was actually Hawaii, then Gulf Gate. Our guilty pleasure was always the Hungry Howies buffet on University. For the price, I still haven't found anything nearly as good. Sarasota has pretty good pizza actually, Joey D's for deep dish is another stand out. We also liked Dino's on Bee Ridge.

2 minutes ago, Luka said:

Yea, the guy that owned that one was the brother of the guy I worked for up here. His first Pontillos outside of WNY was actually Hawaii, then Gulf Gate. Our guilty pleasure was always the Hungry Howies buffet on University. For the price, I still haven't found anything nearly as good. Sarasota has pretty good pizza actually, Joey D's for deep dish is another stand out. We also liked Dino's on Bee Ridge.

Dino’s on Bee Ridge was a guilty pleasure! Good stuff. Their kids went to St Martha’s or Cardinal Mooney I think, knew my kids I’d bet. 

Casa di Pizza was good because it was a triple threat. Had good pizza, good wings and good subs. They made a good royal sub and some super sub that had mile high meats, not to mention (on Elmwood) a full sports bar attached to it. Wasn't the very best of any of the three but one could pig out on a lot of stuff. A lot of them have all three but are pretty weak on one or more.

15 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Casa di Pizza was good because it was a triple threat. Had good pizza, good wings and good subs. They made a good royal sub and some super sub that had mile high meats, not to mention (on Elmwood) a full sports bar attached to it. Wasn't the very best of any of the three but one could pig out on a lot of stuff. A lot of them have all three but are pretty weak on one or more.

Exactly

the triple threat

pizza, wings and subs

if you can do all 3 in Buffalo you are set 

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Casa di Pizza was a Godsend when they opened in Sarasota...and it just happened to be between my office and my house. Very good food and they had Labatts.  I’d take the family there when they came to town. It was almost like going home! 

Just Pizza also opened in Sarasota, and it just wasn’t good. Then they kept adding more to the menu...and now it’s a Jimmy John’s or something. 

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

Casa di Pizza was a Godsend when they opened in Sarasota...and it just happened to be between my office and my house. Very good food and they had Labatts.  I’d take the family there when they came to town. It was almost like going home! 

Just Pizza also opened in Sarasota, and it just wasn’t good. Then they kept adding more to the menu...and now it’s a Jimmy John’s or something. 

Yep. I tried that Just Pizza a couple times and it just wasn't any good. The people who owned and operated it had a couple in Buffalo, too. That was just weird.

There also was a really hot bartender in the bar in that same plaza who was from Buffalo, and right across the street there was a breakfast and lunch place that was owned by a guy from Buffalo that sold Sahlen's hot dogs by the pound so you could cook at home and had a bunch of Buffalo foods on his menu. I heard it closed a few years ago though, maybe around when Just Pizza did.

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yep. I tried that Just Pizza a couple times and it just wasn't any good. The people who owned and operated it had a couple in Buffalo, too. That was just weird.

There also was a really hot bartender in the bar in that same plaza who was from Buffalo, and right across the street there was a breakfast and lunch place that was owned by a guy from Buffalo that sold Sahlen's hot dogs by the pound so you could cook at home and had a bunch of Buffalo foods on his menu. I heard it closed a few years ago though, maybe around when Just Pizza did.

Was she a blonde at Gecko’s? I remember her.  She would joke about her special “big tip cleavage shirts”. The Wings and Weinies (Sahlen's place) was a nasty, greasy dive, and I went there all the time for wings when we lived in Laurel Oak. The one on Fruitville is, I believe, still open. 

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

Was she a blonde at Gecko’s? I remember her.  She would joke about her special “big tip cleavage shirts”. The Wings and Weinies (Sahlen's place) was a nasty, greasy dive, and I went there all the time for wings when we lived in Laurel Oak. The one on Fruitville is, I believe, still open. 

She worked the afternoons at Gecko's, I never saw her at night. But she was fun and really cute all around. ;) Yeah, Wings and Weinies was a total dive but I liked it for the greasy hole that it was.