USA Today: Contenders and Pretenders

Pretenders

Buffalo Bills (5-3)

They do have elements of a contender: leading the league in turnover margin (+11), tied for fifth in scoring defense (18.6 points per game), and ranking eighth in third-down conversion rate (41.9%). But a 1-3 record away from Buffalo suggests the Bills – who likely won’t secure home field advantage given a tough second-half slate – could fall apart late.

Related Article: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/11/08/midseason-nfl-record-projections-all-32-teams-playoff-forecast/845298001/

Buffalo Bills (8-8): We'd like to see the people of Western New York rejoice as this team punches its first playoff ticket since 1999. Unfortunately, last week's loss to the Jets reinforced a suspicion the Bills' margin for error may be too thin, especially with two upcoming dates against New England among other tough outs (Saints, Chargers, Chiefs).

ESPECIALLY since Denver, Oakland and Atlanta have fallen apart as of late, giving us phantom wins against "good" teams. Tampa Bay's exploitation of our defense by O.J. Howard should be a huge red flag for our upcoming coverage against Kelce and Gronkowski.

While I love our direction, it won’t kill me if it takes a little longer to build the depth we need to be serious contenders. They won’t get every move right, but they have shown they are not afraid to make bold calls. The next draft could do a lot of good filling holes and make us younger. Trading back some more works for me too in the right situation. We need some more young, cheap bodies. 

Hard to disagree with this looking at how bad most of the teams are that we've beat combined with a couple losses against teams like the Jets and Bengals that I still think are on their way to top 10 draft picks when it's all said and done.

But yes the main reason we are a certain pretender is that we aren't a good road team and if we couldn't beat the aforementioned teams on the road we certainly aren't winning in NE, Mia, LAC and KC.

Can't disagree with the explanation. It can turn either way, 7-9 or 10-6. No one expected the competent play we've had the chance to experience with the minimal talent on the roster and good things are on the horizon. I'd love to see a playoff berth but it won't kill me if it doesn't happen. This team is prepping for the future and it looks bright.

Can definitely see 8-8, but if we beat the Saints we'll be talking 10-6 again. I just really hope we can pull the upset off!

Ravens schedule is easy and they are my chief concern. Hopefully the inconsistency of their offense will undo them.

12 minutes ago, Big C said:

Can definitely see 8-8, but if we beat the Saints we'll be talking 10-6 again. I just really hope we can pull the upset off!

Ravens schedule is easy and they are my chief concern. Hopefully the inconsistency of their offense will undo them.

While you can never say never, I don't think the Ravens are good enough to win out or even win 6 of their final 7. Flacco isn't the same QB anymore and their defense is very inconsistent.

They will certainly lose in Pitt and pretty sure Lions are good enough to win in Baltimore. Won't be surprised if GB beat them at home this week too.

2 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

While you can never say never, I don't think the Ravens are good enough to win out or even win 6 of their final 7. Flacco isn't the same QB anymore and their defense is very inconsistent.

They will certainly lose in Pitt and pretty sure Lions are good enough to win in Baltimore. Won't be surprised if GB beat them at home this week too.

How does it feel knowing your team just signed a guy who accused police falsely of racism?

7 minutes ago, JM2009 said:

How does it feel knowing your team just signed a guy who accused police falsely of racism?

I don't remember hearing about this and pretty sure we would not have given up a 3rd rounder for a guy who pulled that type of stunt. And if true no wonder the Panthers were eager to part ways with Benjamin.

1 minute ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I don't remember hearing about this and pretty sure we would not have given up a 3rd rounder for a guy who pulled that type of stunt. And if true no wonder the Panthers were eager to part ways with Benjamin.

Except your team is NE.

2 minutes ago, JM2009 said:

Except your team is NE.

Not hardly.

You have to admit that Pats made a POWER move picking up Bennett and wouldn't be surprised if he's not as hurt as he's led on. Watch him look great with the Pats down the stretch which is exactly what Hoodie and Brady are likely banking on.

1 minute ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Not hardly.

You have to admit that Pats made a POWER move picking up Bennett and wouldn't be surprised if he's not as hurt as he's led on. Watch him look great with the Pats down the stretch which is exactly what Hoodie and Brady are likely banking on.

This Bennett wasn't having a good season by any means. I'll take the Benjamin move as having much more of an impact. And  everyone knows you are a NE fan-how when you spend all of your time in here-I don't know.

2 minutes ago, JM2009 said:

This Bennett wasn't having a good season by any means. I'll take the Benjamin move as having much more of an impact. And  everyone knows you are a NE fan-how when you spend all of your time in here-I don't know.

Why on earth would I spend so much time posting here if I was a fan of another team? What little free time I have is precious given family and work commitments.

I understand my hard hitting commentary isn't always positive, but why should it be after 17 straight years of failure? And at least the moderators of this great forum aren't operating under strict guidelines from Russ Brandon to ban anybody not drinking One Bills Drive flavored koolaid.

Either way time to put these BBMB rumors to rest just like that now defunct forum. I'm a hardcore Bills fan and that's my game, LARGE and all.

26 minutes ago, JM2009 said:

Dont get me wrong JM2009, I couldnt stand all of your pro-Tyrod posts, but atleast youre pro-bills. this dude isnt even a fan. It's time to get him outta here. 

18 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Why on earth would I spend so much time posting here if I was a fan of another team? What little free time I have is precious given family and work commitments.

I understand my hard hitting commentary isn't always positive, but why should it be after 17 straight years of failure? And at least the moderators of this great forum aren't operating under strict guidelines from Russ Brandon to ban anybody not drinking One Bills Drive flavored koolaid.

Either way time to put these BBMB rumors to rest just like that now defunct forum. I'm a hardcore Bills fan and that's my game, LARGE and all.

The Bills are 5-3. Get on the bandwagon or !@#$ off. 

Edited by GETTOTHE50

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Pretenders

Buffalo Bills (5-3)

They do have elements of a contender: leading the league in turnover margin (+11), tied for fifth in scoring defense (18.6 points per game), and ranking eighth in third-down conversion rate (41.9%). But a 1-3 record away from Buffalo suggests the Bills – who likely won’t secure home field advantage given a tough second-half slate – could fall apart late.

Related Article: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/11/08/midseason-nfl-record-projections-all-32-teams-playoff-forecast/845298001/

Buffalo Bills (8-8): We'd like to see the people of Western New York rejoice as this team punches its first playoff ticket since 1999. Unfortunately, last week's loss to the Jets reinforced a suspicion the Bills' margin for error may be too thin, especially with two upcoming dates against New England among other tough outs (Saints, Chargers, Chiefs).

Is the last sentence in this article an indictment of our QB? Are they subliminally saying our QB isn't good enough to beat Brady, Brees, Rivers and Smith?

1 hour ago, Augie said:

While I love our direction, it won’t kill me if it takes a little longer to build the depth we need to be serious contenders. They won’t get every move right, but they have shown they are not afraid to make bold calls. The next draft could do a lot of good filling holes and make us younger. Trading back some more works for me too in the right situation. We need some more young, cheap bodies. 

Great post, totally agree!

3 hours ago, JM2009 said:

Much better than having a poster falsely accuse player of accusing him of racism.

I am sure you would be perfect candidate for a hanging judge.

You and Savior belong chained at wrists together.

• Like (+1) 1

Dude, enough with this nonsense. A Bills fan is someone who says he's a Bills fan, period.

There are no litmus tests or fanhood threshholds. If he says he's a Bills fan he's a Bills fan.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

No there are plenty of trolls on this board.

Agreed. A troll is a troll. They are about 0.1% of the people on here. He isn't one.

Plenty of people try to apply litmus tests to non-trolls. "You aren't a fan unless you ... (some arbitrary belief of that person).

... attend a game in person

... are a fan of every player on the team

... root for the Bills to win every game

... never want them to rebuild

... love the current coach

... believe that the current QB (or DE or LT or coach or whatever) can get us to a Super Bowl

... do NOT believe that the backup QB (or DE or LT or whatever) is better than the starter

... have at least three jerseys

It goes on and on. All that kind of crap. You're a fan when you say you're a fan. The group of fans is a very varied and heterogeneous one, and that's as it should be.

I disagree with a lot of what SaviorPeterman says, but he's obviously not a troll. He believes what he says and if you don't like it, you can put him on ignore.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 3

52 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I disagree with a lot of what SaviorPeterman says, but he's obviously not a troll. He believes what he says and if you don't like it, you can put him on ignore.

Agree you can put someone on ignore but wish it worked like some other software where entire fork is on ignore.  Seeing same inane thread quoted 20 times and having him double down even when facts contradict tells me it is someone trolling to get a reaction.

• Like (+1) 1

A few things— 

I think our standard for contender is lower than theirs. Most people consider that championship contender not playoff contender, but with us absent from the playoffs so long our perspective is skewed

i think their comment that the margin is razor thin is very fair on this roster. We need depth at key spots, we need a pass rush and we need something to stretch the field to be legit. Benjamin might fill one of those needs and buy a little wiggle room but the margin is still tight.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Pretenders

Buffalo Bills (5-3)

Pfft. Same folks who predicted 4-12.

I like to think Oakland, Tampa, Denver and Atlanta were all Super Bowl bound but had their souls crushed by the Bills. :D

I still stand by my preseason prediction for the Bills. Anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7. 8-8 is right in the middle of it. Sadly we were there with Rex already, so I don't see this team as advancing at all. We picked up a great defensive backfield, but lost so much talent on the rest of the team, and our OL seriously regressed. Beyond the defensive backfield gains we did gain with Hauschka, the other bright spot moving forward.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

"Hard hitting commmetary", really?  Your self aggrandizement seems to know no bounds, and is certainly not warranted.  People accuse you of being a troll because you exhibit troll like behavior.  If it walks like a duck, etc.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Baltimore has a bye this week, and GB plays at Chicago.  Even at 4-5, the Ravens may have a better chance than the Bills to get to at least 9 wins since they  play at GB, Texans and Lions at home, at the Steelers and the Browns, home to the Colts, and home to the Bengals.  Only the Lions and Steelers are likely to finish with winning records. 

In contrast, the Bills play the Saints, at the Chargers, at KC, NE twice, Miami twice, and Indy at home.  Going 5-3 is the second half of the season will be a lot harder for the Bills even if they play their best in every game than going 5-2  or even 6-1 will be for the Ravens if they play just a bit better than they have.

42 minutes ago, MDFan said:

"Hard hitting commmetary", really?  Your self aggrandizement seems to know no bounds, and is certainly not warranted.  People accuse you of being a troll because you exhibit troll like behavior.  If it walks like a duck, etc.  

In this case not even duck but mock duck, a poor imitation.

Saying it's about the margin for error is spot on, in my opinion.

The Bills need to play a perfect game - and get bounces - in order to win.  That's not a playoff team.

At this stage of "the process," I'm totally cool with that.  The future is bright.

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Dude, enough with this nonsense. A Bills fan is someone who says he's a Bills fan, period.

There are no litmus tests or fanhood threshholds. If he says he's a Bills fan he's a Bills fan.

SP is a NE fan trolling in here.