USA Today: Contenders and Pretenders

1 hour ago, simpleman said:

I still stand by my preseason prediction for the Bills. Anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7. 8-8 is right in the middle of it. Sadly we were there with Rex already, so I don't see this team as advancing at all. We picked up a great defensive backfield, but lost so much talent on the rest of the team, and our OL seriously regressed. Beyond the defensive backfield gains we did gain with Hauschka, the other bright spot moving forward.

even if we remain at the .500 threshold this year, we are still light years ahead of where we were last year. to be at that .500 threshold with the dearth of talent, as you claim,  should be impressive. we have 2 1 round picks, 2 2nd round picks we had 2 3rd rounders but we traded one away for Benjamin. i think we are headed in the right direction

23 minutes ago, JM2009 said:

SP is a NE fan trolling in here.

#SP

32 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The Bills need to play a perfect game - and get bounces - in order to win.  That's not a playoff team.

Yet sometimes they are.  

I wouldn't cast them off if that was the reason for a WC. 

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Agreed. A troll is a troll. They are about 0.1% of the people on here. He isn't one.

Plenty of people try to apply litmus tests to non-trolls. "You aren't a fan unless you ... (some arbitrary belief of that person).

... attend a game in person

... are a fan of every player on the team

... root for the Bills to win every game

... never want them to rebuild

... love the current coach

... believe that the current QB (or DE or LT or coach or whatever) can get us to a Super Bowl

... do NOT believe that the backup QB (or DE or LT or whatever) is better than the starter

... have at least three jerseys

It goes on and on. All that kind of crap. You're a fan when you say you're a fan. The group of fans is a very varied and heterogeneous one, and that's as it should be.

I disagree with a lot of what SaviorPeterman says, but he's obviously not a troll. He believes what he says and if you don't like it, you can put him on ignore.

Yikes, if that's the criteria to be a fan, I fail!

I haven't attended a game in person in years and I don't have 3 jerseys.  

But I do root for every player who dons a Bills uni and I cheer for a Bills win every week.  

In my mind, anyone who hopes the Bills win is a fan.  

I am never going to be able to understand the individuals here who believe in  "the process" and have this blind optimism for the future despite history and the cold hard facts. They approach Fandom like most approach religion. I don't believe in "the process" based on pure hope and faith anymore than I could accept the statements from my ministers to my every serious question about religion in my teenage years with "you just have to have faith"  How has having "faith" worked out for  us the past 17 years and counting?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, simpleman said:

I am never going to be able to understand the individuals here who believe in  "the process" and have this blind optimism for the future despite history and the cold hard facts. They approach Fandom like most approach religion. I don't believe in "the process" based on pure hope and faith anymore than I could accept the statements from my ministers to my every serious question about religion in my teenage years with "you just have to have faith"  How has having "faith" worked out for  us the past 17 years and counting?

The Bills are 29-27 since the Pegulas purchased the team. That is not terrible and it is the only time frame that matters. 

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

With 2 games against the Pats, probably losses even thinking optimistically, they have to go 5-1 in the other games to get to 10 wins. That’s asking a lot.

Why does the home game have to be a loss to NE if the Bills are healthy? NE is not a juggernaut anymore. I think we can beat them at home.

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

We may be a pretender... but the playoffs are still within our grasp.

5-3 down the stretch will do it, two against the Pats, the Saints are a better team....

I'll take those 3 points thank you very much.

16 hours ago, Augie said:

While I love our direction, it won’t kill me if it takes a little longer to build the depth we need to be serious contenders. They won’t get every move right, but they have shown they are not afraid to make bold calls. The next draft could do a lot of good filling holes and make us younger. Trading back some more works for me too in the right situation. We need some more young, cheap bodies. 

Agree 100%

CBF

2 hours ago, simpleman said:

Relax its just a football game bro. Its just entertainment.

4 hours ago, MDFan said:

"Hard hitting commmetary", really?  Your self aggrandizement seems to know no bounds, and is certainly not warranted.  People accuse you of being a troll because you exhibit troll like behavior.  If it walks like a duck, etc.  

Yep.   A legend in his own mind.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MDFan said:

"Hard hitting commmetary", really?  Your self aggrandizement seems to know no bounds, and is certainly not warranted.  People accuse you of being a troll because you exhibit troll like behavior.  If it walks like a duck, etc.  

Like another poster pointed out, just because somebodies thoughts don't jive with yours doesn't mean they are a 'troll'. But sadly people love to throw this team out loosely nowadays because it's an easy way to distract from the facts when they simply are wrong can't dispute factual statements.

And speaking of facts, I tend to use these when making my arguments including and not limited to:

-The Bills have not made the playoffs in 17 years

-The Patriots have dominated the AFCE and NFL since 2001

-The Bills are 3-7 in their last 10 division games

-The Dolphins who everybody argues is an apparent non factor this year swept the Bills last year and finished 9-2 after a 1-4 start to the season.

I could go on and on but the point is I'm bringing legit football discussion to the table and never have resorted to petty personal attacks on fellow community members like so many have against me.

3 hours ago, simpleman said:

You should talk to your minister about taking a game/source of entertainment too seriously.

Or maybe find a different minister.

• 9 minutes ago, Gugny said:
    •  
    • You should talk to your minister about taking a game/source of entertainment too seriously.
    •  
    • Or maybe find a different minister.

Hey, having to constantly hear all the posters here "preaching" about " the process" is the BB equivalent of having Jehovah's Witnesses  knocking on my door 10 times a day, 7 days a week. Have you ever spent the day around a person who says "you know" after every sentence, then you would realize exactly how irritating it is.  It is not about the game, it is about the constant preaching here ruining my "source of entertainment".

Edited by simpleman

3 minutes ago, simpleman said:
  •  

Hey, having to constantly hear all the posters here "preaching" about " the process" is the BB equivalent of having Jehovah's Witnesses  knocking on my door 10 times a day, 7 days a week. It is not about the game, it is about the constant preaching here ruining my source of entertainment.

So Bills fans talking about Bills football ruins football for you?  Or is just the ones who are okay with what McDermott and Beane have done since they've gotten here?

1 hour ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Like another poster pointed out, just because somebodies thoughts don't jive with yours doesn't mean they are a 'troll'. But sadly people love to throw this team out loosely nowadays because it's an easy way to distract from the facts when they simply are wrong can't dispute factual statements.

Just as you like to throw out loosely terms like "homer" and "kool aide drinkers" for those who do not agree with you, as if you are the White Knight bringing reason and facts to the board while others simply do not understand.  Please.  

The reason the term troll gets thrown around is not because people are somehow incapable of disputing your mighty facts, but because you constantly barrage the board with post after post containing your opinions backed up by those facts you find convenient, virtually always with the most negative spin possible.  It is predictable, and boring, and certainly makes people question what your real intent is, perhaps even to conclude you are just trying to get a reaction or to make yourself feel more important.   You should remember that what you might consider insightful analysis and "hard hitting commentary", others might consider half baked drivel.  Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder.

And speaking of facts, I tend to use these when making my arguments including and not limited to:

-The Bills have not made the playoffs in 17 years

-The Patriots have dominated the AFCE and NFL since 2001

-The Bills are 3-7 in their last 10 division games

-The Dolphins who everybody argues is an apparent non factor this year swept the Bills last year and finished 9-2 after a 1-4 start to the season.

Yes, these are facts.  I am not sure what they have to do with this year's team  - players, coaching staff, and management - but there is no doubt these are facts.  I could look up and post and bunch of facts about the New Orleans Saints, for example, demonstrating how awful they have been for the past 5 years, but that would not be a good predictor of the outcome of Sunday's game or their season, just like the above facts have no bearing on the potential results of the Bills.  (other than, of course, Bills fans have been long suffering and always expect the worst)  I am not blindly optimistic.  Like any reasonable person, I see the holes on this team.  However, I also see a completely different approach, attitude, and focus than has been seen here in a very long time.  Does that mean they will not self destruct down the stretch?  Of course not, but it argues to the "fact" that none of the sordid factual history you point out actually has anything to do with what will happen on Sunday.  I am enjoying this season and am optimistic for the future.  So sue me.  

I could go on and on but the point is I'm bringing legit football discussion to the table and never have resorted to petty personal attacks on fellow community members like so many have against me.

My comment was meant more as an observation rather than a personal attack, but I certainly see how you would see it otherwise and for that I apologize.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, MDFan said:

... The reason the term troll gets thrown around is not because people are somehow incapable of disputing your mighty facts, but because you constantly barrage the board with post after post containing your opinions backed up by those facts you find convenient, virtually always with the most negative spin possible.  It is predictable, and boring, and certainly makes people question what your real intent is, perhaps even to conclude you are just trying to get a reaction or to make yourself feel more important.   You should remember that what you might consider insightful analysis and "hard hitting commentary", others might consider half baked drivel.  Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder.

that does not make him a troll.

Edited by Foxx