Tyrod Played Vary Well Last Night

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I havent said many good things about Tyrod in the past, to me the past 3 games he has shown big improvements passing the ball and getting WRs involved. He has stood in the pocket and made some real nice throws and hasnmt relied on the checkdown as much. Hopefully he keeps it up. Clay, Benjamin, Matthews and an improving Zay with speedy Thompson looks is starting to look like very good supporting cast.

Edited by BananaB

Its not non sense, you are relying too much on END game totals and completely removing the context of the early parts of the game where the game was at a manageable score. I get your side, but the reality is that Dennisson created a lot of unfavorable spots for the offense with his insistence on bad run calls into the middle of the D Line (their strongest area) in a game where they were blowing up our OL. He constantly put TT and the O in 2nd and 10, 2nd and 13, type positions, and on more than one occasion would run it again on 2nd down to gain little or even lose more yards.

Its not the volume that matters, it was the situation football Dennison really mismanaged badly last night.

From the point the lead was more than 3 he called 4 runs and 30 passes. He was not calling too much run.

It wouldn't have mattered what he called. The o-line sucked worse than I have ever seen a Bills o-line suck. This was beyond any of the **** fests Marrone or Jauron put on the field. They hardly got a hand on a rusher all night let alone a block. It was pathetic.

I am a huge Cordy Glenn fan - he sucked.

Richie? Sucked.

Eric Wood? Lord alive... I'd sue him for breach of contract he basically surrendered in the 2nd quarter.

Ducasse? It would be funny if it wasn't so depressing.

Mills? Totally overmatched.

1) and 4) were just accomplished two weeks ago vs. the Buccaneers 3) I think we already know he's not a QB who's going to carry a team. The Bills are built to win a certain way that's not exactly a revelation.

You point to two games to suggest they are evidence that the ceiling is gone or at least raised. One, there is not sufficient data behind your argument. Two, that aside, look at the evidence over three seasons. Tyrod is not going to somehow become something he is not.

Will he get better at the margins? Sure, yes, why not? Will he suddenly become (or is he now) the answer long term? No.

The Bills have done everything they know to do to minimize Taylor’s weaknesses and play to his strengths. They are not going to change anything now.

If they do not draft a QB (or maybe can’t because one is not available) Tyrod is not going to develop into the answer. The Bills will be mired in 8-8 unless:

1- the D and special teams play at an exceptional level consistently

2 - The Bills find another answer at QB (has to be found in the draft)-

Sadly, the Bills have tried #1 for years and it has not worked. Obviously they have experienced nothing but futility in #2.

It’s really that simple.

From the point the lead was more than 3 he called 4 runs and 30 passes. He was not calling too much run.

It wouldn't have mattered what he called. The o-line sucked worse than I have ever seen a Bills o-line suck. This was beyond any of the **** fests Marrone or Jauron put on the field. They hardly got a hand on a rusher all night let alone a block. It was pathetic.

Richie? Sucked.

Eric Wood? Lord alive... I'd sue him for breach of contract he basically surrendered in the 2nd quarter.

Other than that GB how did you think the OL played? :)

Richie? Sucked.

Yeah no doubt.......case in point chronic underachiever Kony Ealy who hadn't had a sack all season and looked like an All Pro all night versus Glenn.

I think you can't discount the impact of a Thursday night game on a very OLD Bills team........the team in general is old but the OL are really long in the tooth........gotta' be the league's oldest group by a lot.

They played poorly all night but when they came out trying to run the ball in the first series of the second half and got stuffed that took what little starch they had in them out of the team.

Other than that GB how did you think the OL played? :)

Haha. When I went to bed at 4 in the morning I was for cutting all 5 of them

I think you can't discount the impact of a Thursday night game on a very OLD Bills team........the team in general is old but the OL are really long in the tooth........gotta' be the league's oldest group by a lot.

For sure. OL needs an injection of youth.

He did! We called 16 runs all night excluding Tyrod's 2 attempts at backing into the endzone. We called 44 pass plays (though 4 ended up as TT scrambles).

We were 73% pass calls last night. That is not the way this team is built to play.

I actually give Tyrod big credit for completing 29 passes. He had protection 3 times all game by my count.

Ill look into this myself when Im less busy later but Im curious to know how much we passed before garbage time. My eyes told me it wasnt enough but my eyes have been wrong about that before.

Ill look into this myself when Im less busy later but Im curious to know how much we passed before garbage time. My eyes told me it wasnt enough but my eyes have been wrong about that before.

Someone said the numbers at the half were 11-14, 115 yards, 1 TD

In fact it is even more than 73% I forgot to include the 7 sacks. All on called pass plays. It was 76% of the time.

In the first half Taylor passed 14 times (was 11-14 at HT) and was sacked 5 times. 19 called pass plays. We ran 10 times with either McCoy or Tolbert and there was 1 TT keeper on 3rd down (which I wrongly classified as a scramble earlier so total called runs for the game was actually 17 not 16). 11 called run plays. So we were pass heavy even first half.

Second half we did start with the one run, run, pass drive of the whole game. Punted (I'm happy to agree that was a bad series). The Jets got the ball went down and scored to make it 17-7.

From there we went 30 called passes against 4 called runs with the exception of the two sneaks from within the yard line.

Edited by GunnerBill

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/11/3/16602430/analysis-tyrod-taylor-was-not-the-problem-in-thursdays-buffalo-bills-loss-to-new-york-jets

Analysis: Tyrod Taylor was not the problem in Thursday’s Buffalo Bills loss

And I will fight you if you want to argue otherwise

by Dan Lavoie

Edited by transplantbillsfan

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/11/3/16602430/analysis-tyrod-taylor-was-not-the-problem-in-thursdays-buffalo-bills-loss-to-new-york-jets

Analysis: Tyrod Taylor was not the problem in Thursday’s Buffalo Bills loss

And I will fight you if you want to argue otherwise

by Dan Lavoie

Anyone who watched the game (and has a reasonably sound knowledge of football) knows this.....

The behind the QB view on the sacks showed the receivers were not getting any separation. He had a poor game but most of it is on the O line and the guys out running routes.

Edited by Nitro

I see a lot of people criticizing Tyrod as part of the problem last night but I think he played very well and he is improving. There are very few QB's in the league that are going to be able to win a game when the offensive line is being dominated the way ours was last night. When Tyrod had time he was making good decisions and completing passes. He was passing over the middle and did a great job of looking off the defender on the Zay Jones TD pass. He is definitely improving as a QB and as bad as the line was he was keeping us in it early. We had two likely scoring drives stopped because of fumbles by Matthews and O'Leary. I see a lot of people criticizing Tyrod but I think it is more people ready to jump on him as soon as we lose rather than what he actually did on the field. He played a good game and I really don't know what game the people who were criticizing him were watching.

That said there were some things he could have done better. Could have gotten rid of it quicker at times. Even if it was just a throw away. Could have run a lot more than he did. When he did run he did really well for the most part. As Mike Vick said...he has a God given talent. Use it.

Ha ha ha OK no it really didn't, but some of us around here understand what Good QB play looks like, Not just settling on the Best QB play of the drought play, or best QB play he have had in awhile argument

QB play has been on the decline for awhile. Its not just in Buffalo. There are maybe 10 good qbs total, in the world. Then there are about 10 average and the rest are below or very inconsistent. Tyrod is in the upper half of average and trying to move into that good category. If you can agree to that then I can take you seriously.

Tyrod needs everyone around him to play good for him to be good. Besides Brady thats not any different than any of the other qbs in the league today.

Funny, call out. Even Romo seen what we called out.

Question is how many OCs does Tyrod get before we have a competent staff smart enough to see after 3 of them it's not the OC that is the problem.

On to OC #4 because of course it's not Tyrod fault, it's everyone elses just like Trent and Fitz, groundhogs day all over again.

I would like to officially call it Jay Cutler syndrome, I guess we have 2 more OC's to go before we get a QB change. It sucks because McD looks like he could be a very good long term HC but will be fired after 2 more failed OC's.

I would like to officially call it Jay Cutler syndrome, I guess we have 2 more OC's to go before we get a QB change. It sucks because McD looks like he could be a very good long term HC but will be fired after 2 more failed OC's.

You forgot that the last OC became a HC after working with TT too?

Either way Taylor will need to pass the football for yardage and TD's for us to win these next 4 games.

I don't think we have the cap to build a team that is good enough on defense to absorb Taylor's short comings as a QB.

This will be Taylor's 3rd year of no playoffs and being in the bottom 10 in passing yards.

The ultimate goal is winning the super bowl and I don't see Taylor doing that with us or on another team.

Either way Taylor will need to pass the football for yardage and TD's for us to win these next 4 games.

I don't think we have the cap to build a team that is good enough on defense to absorb Taylor's short comings as a QB.

This will be Taylor's 3rd year of no playoffs and being in the bottom 10 in passing yards.

The ultimate goal is winning the super bowl and I don't see Taylor doing that with us or on another team.

Who cares about passing yards. Its meaningless. You have the Bills definitely out of the playoffs now though? They are very much alive still.

Tyrod did a fantastic Blake Bortles impression last night.

Show me the baby in the 1st quarter not when we're down by 20 late in the game.

Taylor is a veteran who is finished product. Like all veterans he will have some games better than others. He may even have seasons better than others. But there is nothing to indicate a trend of getting better.

I am critical of Tyrod but I am fair...he has gotten better. No signs he'll ever anticipate at the top tier level, but when he's on he throws it good enough if he's using his feet and not turning it over at the same time.

Just like the last two years in every loss the same excuses come out, he played good enough to win....

It was the OC (now on his third)

It is WRs (yet time after time all 22 shows them open)

it was the OL (but no being the league leader in longest time to throw helps)

Never his fault

He is a Bridge QB and the Bills will be better off the fast they cross that bridge

This conversation is pretty clearly pointless, anyway.

For posters like MAJBobby, jmc, xRushx, etc. there is literally nothing that will move the needle for them. All the good games will do will keep the needle in place. Bad games OR losses (because a win can be a bad game for a QB like last year against Cincy and a loss can be a good game like yesterday or last year vs. Seattle & Miami) will move the needle precipitously backwards.

It's half a step forward for the good or great and 10 steps back for anything that they think they can paint as bad, even though it might not be.

I'm painted as one of Taylor's biggest homers and even I don't think he's an Elite QB and I never think he will be. But really there are only 3 or 4 Elite QBs in the NFL, anyway (Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Big Ben) and then a whole slew of guys in a tier beneath them that is the majority of QBs in the NFL. These are QBs who are clearly capable and NFL worthy, but they need more circumstances surrounding them (OL, WRs, a running game, OC, etc.) in order to be really good, but with the right circumstances, they could have great seasons, the way Cam Newton did a few years ago or Matt Ryan did last year.

Last year over at BBMB I started a thread about these tiers and I talked about Matt Ryan specifically being in tier 2 and how Taylor was in the same tier. I got slammed with posters (what the heck ever happened to Larry, anyway?). When the season ended, while everyone was touting Ryan as suddenly Elite, I predicted that he'd take a massive step backwards this year with the departure of Shanahan.

And look what's happened.

What I think McDermott and Beane seem to be realizing is that Taylor isn't good enough to never consider an upgrade, but he's good enough to not aggressively try to upgrade.

Taylor's good. He's better than any QB we've had since Kelly. And he's actually improving, albeit in ways that don't necessarily pop out on the stat sheet. We're at the point where it's no longer our QB who's holding us back.

Taylor was not the reason we lost last night and his play has been LARGE in recent weeks. But last night most of his production obviously came in garbage time.

Would still like to see him take more chances early in games though but hopefully with Clay coming back and the addition of Benjamin that will happen.

Actually last night only 110 of his 285 passing yards came in "garbage time."

175 passing yards, 1 passing TD and no interceptions came in very meaningful minutes.

Besides, "garbage time" is dumb to even talk about unless you take it out for every single NFL QB. Derek Carr got over 300 yards last weekend thanks to mostly garbage time yards.

Yes he played well and he played poorly

7 sacks most of which he caused by not passing at the end of his drop back

An incompletion is far better than a sack.

PFF says:​

QB TYROD TAYLOR, 73.3 OVERALL GRADE

While Tyrod Taylor was not his best on Thursday night, he still was able to produce some quality throws while also getting himself into trouble. He had two sacks, a hit, and a hurry charged against him by moving out of the pocket early or not throwing the ball away.

I hardly think 2/7 would qualify as "most" to anyone 0:)

It's not that they didn't respect the receivers, it's they didn't respect the QB so yes Tyrod is the reason for the stacked box. Even Romo called out Tyrod last night

Why do you act like what Romo said mattered?

I kinda got the impression Romo was biased and had his mind made up on not liking Taylor. That helmet to helmet hit on Taylor was clearly a penalty and Romo dismissed it as though "well once you get out of the pocket QB rules don't apply so good they didn't throw the flag."

Ummmm, no. It was a penalty.

Romo at one point said something really stupid about how he wished Taylor stayed in the pocket and took a hit rather than escaping. I can't even remember the exact play, I just remember watching the play and thinking (yet again) how amazing it is how bad our OL was and how lucky Taylor was that he could escape all that pressure and still make some positive plays and Romo wants him to stand in there and get clobbered?

I like Romo as an announcer. But just because he's a QB doesn't mean he's always right. In fact, he might be more biased than any announcer out there because he might have his own vision of how a QB should play.

For once I am totally with transplant on Tyrod's performance... although I still think Denver was his best game this year not Tampa.

:beer:

Who cares about passing yards. Its meaningless. You have the Bills definitely out of the playoffs now though? They are very much alive still.

Little monkey avatar has nothing good to say about the Bills.

Id wager if the won a SB by 17 points hed be unhappy

Oh look a call out post and a LAMP by transplant

175 passing yards and 1 TD before garbage time.

Taylor was good last night. He's improving as a QB. Amazing that some are being this hard-headed.

Someone said the numbers at the half were 11-14, 115 yards, 1 TD

Yes. But there were 60 more yards of non-garbage-yards that came in the 3rd quarter before the wheels came off for the team with the O'Leary fumble.

Ha ha ha OK no it really didn't, but some of us around here understand what Good QB play looks like, Not just settling on the Best QB play of the drought play, or best QB play he have had in awhile argument

And if you polled 1000 people here if you were one of the people who knew what good QB play looked like, I would bet 990 of them would say its not you.

You remind me of my Grandma. She is a hardcore republican down to her soul. When Obama got elected the first time, there was like a week where she faked the whole "I think he could be a good president" where you just knew she didn't mean it and it wouldn't last before she started spewing conspiracy theories and non sense in her never ending anti-democrat crusade. Just like with you, where there was like a week at beginning of season where you tried to play nice and not be on your anti TT crusade nonsense every second of the day.

Everyone in my family knew it wouldn't last, just like here where we all knew it wasn't gonna last, and of course it didnt.

Edited by Alphadawg7

And if you polled 1000 people here if you were one of the people who knew what good QB play looked like, I would bet 990 of them would say its not you.

You remind me of my Grandma. She is a hardcore republican down to her soul. When Obama got elected the first time, there was like a week where she faked the whole "I think he could be a good president" where you just knew she didn't mean it and it wouldn't last before she started spewing conspiracy theories and non sense in her never ending anti-democrat crusade. Just like with you, where there was like a week at beginning of season where you tried to play nice and not be on your anti TT crusade nonsense every second of the day.

Everyone in my family knew it wouldn't last, just like here where we all knew it wasn't gonna last, and of course it didnt.

The one problem I have with some of his posts is how he thinks his opinion is gospel and he is right and everyone who disagrees with him is wrong and doesn't understand Football. Basically calling us idiots because we don't agree with him.

I have no problem with people saying Tyrod isn't a good QB as everyone Is entitled to their opinion, but just don't diminish people and act like you are an expert when really, your opinion is the same as every single other on this board. Just because people disagree and have a different view, doesn't mean they don't understand football.

Saying TT is good or bad is not black and white. There is lots of controversy and everyone has the right to their opinion.

If he was that knowledgeable about deciphering QB talent, he would be the highest paid scout/GM in the NFL, not spending countless hours arguing with fans on the twobillsdrive ripping TT every chance he gets.

Edited by billsfan11

The one problem I have with some of his posts is how he thinks his opinion is gospel and he is right and everyone who disagrees with him is wrong and doesn't understand Football. Basically calling us idiots because we don't agree with him.

I have no problem with people saying Tyrod isn't a good QB as everyone Is entitled to their opinion, but just don't diminish people and act like you are an expert when really, your opinion is the same as every single other on this board. Just because people disagree and have a different view, doesn't mean they don't understand football.

Saying TT is good or bad is not black and white. There is lots of controversy and everyone has the right to their opinion.

If he was that knowledgeable about deciphering QB talent, he would be the highest paid scout/GM in the NFL, not spending countless hours arguing with fans on the twobillsdrive ripping TT every chance he gets.

Exactly

Passer rating doesn't mean squat?

That's not what you said just a couple weeks ago :doh:

I did? Call it passer rating of the general term of stats.

Im the one that says Stats Lie.

Are you getting that yet?

does it matter if you have Bad stats when you win?

does it matter If you have Great stats when you lose?

It can be argued both ways.

So again. Stats dont matter.

Winning trumps all

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Was it all on Tyrod? No, of course not. Is Tyrod the single most important piece of the offense and mostly accountable for its overall performance? Yes. Right Wrong or indifferent, the QB will get to much credit for the good days and to much blame for the bad. That’s life.  If the Jets feel fit to send blitz after blitz and stack the box, then it’s on the QB to make them pay for it. Change protections, check into a screen, find the hot route, hurt them on the outside down field, let them get false pressure and burn them with a screen to shady once the line gets up the field.

Tyrod is a very talented football player, but there is much more to playing QB in the NFL then throwing and running. You are the leader of this offense. If you see the same look is hurting you over and over, Get together with the OC and make the appropriate adjustments. That’s what the good QBs in this league can do. Even a guy like Mccown would make those checks. Go watch a guy like Rivers play. Watch what he does pre snap. Tyrod is in his 7th season, he’s not a rookie. You watch the truly good QBs in this league and how they orchestrate the entire show on offense....We aren’t even playing the same game here.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Was it all on Tyrod? No, of course not. Is Tyrod the single most important piece of the offense and mostly accountable for its overall performance? Yes. Right Wrong or indifferent, the QB will get to much credit for the good days and to much blame for the bad. That’s life.  If the Jets feel fit to send blitz after blitz and stack the box, then it’s on the QB to make them pay for it. Change protections, check into a screen, find the hot route, hurt them on the outside down field, let them get false pressure and burn them with a screen to shady once the line gets up the field.

Tyrod is a very talented football player, but there is much more to playing QB in the NFL then throwing and running. You are the leader of this offense. If you see the same look is hurting you over and over, Get together with the OC and make the appropriate adjustments. That’s what the good QBs in this league can do. Even a guy like Mccown would make those checks. Go watch a guy like Rivers play. Watch what he does pre snap. Tyrod is in his 7th season, he’s not a rookie. You watch the truly good QBs in this league and how they orchestrate the entire show on offense....We aren’t even playing the same game here.

He isn’t allowed to make those checks apparently. Before you go into, “good QBs can do that” the same thing happened to Matt Ryan in the Super Bowl. He said that he wasn’t allowed to check out of certain looks. If you have an issue with that it is on the OC and not the QB. 

14 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Was it all on Tyrod? No, of course not. Is Tyrod the single most important piece of the offense and mostly accountable for its overall performance? Yes. Right Wrong or indifferent, the QB will get to much credit for the good days and to much blame for the bad. That’s life. 

I'd consider this fair it it was even close to reality. But it's a common theme of this board to claim Taylor had no bearing whatsoever in the Bills' victories. He is just along for the ride, like those tourists you see on open-top buses. He's made huge plays in every victory, but some people never saw a single one. The defense played good (except when it didn't), the running game carried the team (at least a few times), and points just magically appeared on the scoreboard. Has Taylor gotten one tenth of the credit for wins - even while getting most of the blame for losses? No. That's life for Tyrod......

Edited by grb

It is so difficult to have debates/conversations with hard-heads on this topic.  I for one, was very upset that Tyrod was retained.  But as the year has gone on, he has proven me wrong and HAS improved.  There is definitely hope, based on what I'm seeing.  Those that are not seeing it are choosing to not see it.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Dablitzkrieg said:

It is so difficult to have debates/conversations with hard-heads on this topic.  I for one, was very upset that Tyrod was retained.  But as the year has gone on, he has proven me wrong and HAS improved.  There is definitely hope, based on what I'm seeing.  Those that are not seeing it are choosing to not see it.

Very well said.  Still more to prove, he has to continue to be effective the rest of the season, and our schedule isn't easy.  But with the new toy in Kelvin for him, Clay back, Jordan getting more time with TT an healthy along with Zay looking like hes got his confidence back and turning a corner, there is reason to be optimistic Taylor's play is gonna improve further.  But he still needs to continue to show it on the field to close out the season.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:
6 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Very well said.  Still more to prove, he has to continue to be effective the rest of the season, and our schedule isn't easy.  But with the new toy in Kelvin for him, Clay back, Jordan getting more time with TT an healthy along with Zay looking like hes got his confidence back and turning a corner, there is reason to be optimistic Taylor's play is gonna improve further.  But he still needs to continue to show it on the field to close out the season.

Exactly this. Tyrod has improved each year. All of the things people said he couldn't do last year (throw over the middle; step up in the pocket), he's been doing much better this year.

They didn't do it after the first play blew up in their face against the Jets, but I think they should do more roll-outs, options, and otherwise moving the pocket  and getting Tyrod into space as quickly as possible -- even besides the O-Line's horrid performance on Thursday, they aren't very good at pass blocking on a good day; their strength is clearly run blocking. 

I think there's reason to be optimistic. Adding in Kelvin Benjamin and Charles Clay will be big.