This offseason Quarterback options

With the offensive line a piece or two away from being one of the better lines in the league, a couple of solid receiving tight ends, potentially Jordan Mathews re-signs if a pretty good throwing QB was to sign, a rookie wide out that will improve with time, an all-pro running back and a solid defense with what I feel has been the best coached season by a Buffalo Coach in some time, does Buffalo have enough to real in a Kirk Cousins off of the street? Certainly, right now Cousins would scoff at our lack of receiving options but what if we could present him with an offer it'd be tough to decline. What if Buffalo told Cousins they would address the receiving weapons in the draft and another in the free agent market? They certainly have the draft picks to spend on some young athletic weapons for whoever their Quarterback will be in 2018. The frosting on top of the cake is that they have enough draft picks to fix a majority of the wholes on both the offense and the defense. 3 draft picks on each side of the ball in the first three rounds is certainly an option. Say the Bills drafted a first round wide out and a mid round wide out, grab a tackle early in the draft and allows Dawkins to move inside and replace miller or be the eventual replacement for Incognito if Miller turns things around, draft another running back in a draft that will have a lot of talented backs, maybe one in the third round? This will give Lesean a break and maybe stretch out his career by lightening the load a little, and sign Jordan Mathews or another quality wide out. Would that be enough to grab a quarterback like Cousins? Could be an interesting option.

I am in the camp of drafting a Quarterback in the first round this year without trading up so we can fill in some of the roster wholes with McDermott guys and have a first round talented quarterback who may not be ready to play in the NFL just yet. I think drafting a Quarterback later in the first round and letting them sit behind Tyrod Taylor for a year could be just the thing for what a rookie Quarterback from this year's class needs. Personally, I like Josh Allen's abilities. Just needs some talent around him to show off that cannon of an arm he has and more experience. Let your young receivers develop another year and get acclimated to the NFL then put in the potential future franchise QB. Also, it'd give them enough time to fill in a few of the wholes on defense. To me this is the best option with any QB they draft.

Peterman flashed in preseason a little. There's a small crowd chanting for him to replace Tyrod this season. He has a good amount of potential for a 5th round pick. I'd let Tyrod play out the year and then put in Peterman so he can learn behind Tyrod for a year have more weapons after next year.

Or we could stay the course with Tyrod for the next few seasons. The Bills are in a situation where they have options, more options than they've had in a long time. Let's hope whatever direction they go finds us the next Buffalo QB to lead the Bills back to the Super Bowl. I'm very intrigued and excited for the future of this team under the new regime. It's hard not to love being a Bills fan so far this season.

Edited by Buffalo30

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be inclined (if I were the Bills' GM) to draft a QB pretty high, and probably the first round. I am not inclined at this point to try and trade up since I don't see a clear consensus ranking of the top 6 or 7 QBs. Six months ago, Sam Darnold was a lock to be drafted first overall, now, not so much. I would let the draft come to me, and if the value just wasn't there when the Bills draft in the first round, I think there are some really promising guys who will be available a little later, even though I'm looking to find one in the first. As early as it is, everything is subject to change, however.

The problem for those who want the Bills to draft a QB in the first round is....how many teams that are just as desperate (maybe more desperate now) for a QB might be picking in front of the Bills? Of those teams, is it likely they will pick a QB? San Fran? Yes. Cleveland? Yes. Giants, a strong maybe. Colts? probably not unless a major trade comes down. Bengals? Possibly. Bucs, No. Cardinals? Yes. Ravens? maybe. Jets, Yes. Chargers, possibly. Broncos, probably, Redskins, maybe, Jags, probably.

Standings can change, but there might be 5 or 6 teams AT LEAST that will be picking in front of the Bills with getting their QB of the future a top priority.

Trade up and grab a QB, let Tyrod walk or if he does well enough maybe we can get a draft pick for him. We would have two young QBs and the money being paid to Tyrod can be used on other positions.

I would love to see them grab Josh Rosen, maybe we won't have to trade up too far to get him.

Edited by xRUSHx

Trade up and grab a QB, let Tyrod walk or if he does well enough maybe we can get a draft pick for him. We would have two young QBs and the money being paid to Tyrod can be used on other positions.

I would love to see them grab Josh Rosen, maybe we won't have to trade up too far to get him.

They will have to pick 1st IMO. How do you presume trading ahead of Cleveland and SF? They are taking QB. Getting Rosen is just not an option. Edited by Kirby Jackson

This will all come into focus over the next month. Tons of Tyrod clutter on this board but in fact, the next 4-6 weeks will determine his career. If he can step up and propel the offense forward through what look to be some real shootouts against elite QBs, it will change the conversation. If he can't, they'll be looking hard for a new signal caller this offseason.

Kirk Cousins is soooo flawed, though. I pity the franchise that shackles itself to him with a $100M contract. The only location that makes sense is S.F. where he knows the offense well already.

Once more this friendly reminder

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/20978049/nfl-destination-kirk-cousins-ten-teams-washington-redskins-quarterback-play-2018-free-agent-market

cousins_inlinenew_grid_o.jpg

When this was first posted weeks ago these were supposedly 8 teams vying for Cousins. These same 8 teams are looking for a QB to draft as well.

Likewise, four teams with aging quarterbacks -- the Steelers, Chargers, Saints and Giants -- could become more viable candidates as circumstances evolve.

The top pick in '18 will not come cheap.

How do you know that there will be even 1 QB in the draft who's worth a first round pick or if the team that holds that pick would be interested in trading it??? :doh: A lot of the college QBs from the preseason have gotten tarnished by poor performances and some of the best performers are underclassmen. Advocating drafting a first round QB, especially trading up for one, when nobody even knows who's going to be available is stupid.

Trading up to get a QB who's the consensus #1 or #2 pick is very iffy but trading up for any other QB is beyond stupid. Just because a team drafts a QB in the first round -- or worse, trades up for him -- doesn't guarantee that QB will be a success. The Bills have tried both methods when they knew who was available and failed both times. Because they traded up for Losman in 2004, they couldn't take Aaron Rodgers in 2005: they'd traded away their first round pick, #18, to get "their QB of the future". Rodgers lasted until GB took him at #24 or #25.

I think our problem has been that we throw our rookie QBs into the fire too early and don't give them a chance to learn the behind the scenes stuff first. Then, they can just let the game come to them. Have them get used to the NFL for a year and then say let's see what ya got. This is a unique opportunity for Buffalo to give a young QB as many weapons as they want with all the draft picks they have.

Once more this friendly reminder

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/20978049/nfl-destination-kirk-cousins-ten-teams-washington-redskins-quarterback-play-2018-free-agent-market

cousins_inlinenew_grid_o.jpg

When this was first posted weeks ago these were supposedly 8 teams vying for Cousins. These same 8 teams are looking for a QB to draft as well.

Likewise, four teams with aging quarterbacks -- the Steelers, Chargers, Saints and Giants -- could become more viable candidates as circumstances evolve.

The top pick in '18 will not come cheap.

The Ravens might look to draft a QB fairly high as well.

This will all come into focus over the next month. Tons of Tyrod clutter on this board but in fact, the next 4-6 weeks will determine his career. If he can step up and propel the offense forward through what look to be some real shootouts against elite QBs, it will change the conversation. If he can't, they'll be looking hard for a new signal caller this offseason.

Kirk Cousins is soooo flawed, though. I pity the franchise that shackles itself to him with a $100M contract. The only location that makes sense is S.F. where he knows the offense well already.

Agree and especially agree on Kirk.

How do you know that there will be even 1 QB in the draft who's worth a first round pick or if the team that holds that pick would be interested in trading it??? :doh: A lot of the college QBs from the preseason have gotten tarnished by poor performances and some of the best performers are underclassmen. Advocating drafting a first round QB, especially trading up for one, when nobody even knows who's going to be available is stupid.

Trading up to get a QB who's the consensus #1 or #2 pick is very iffy but trading up for any other QB is beyond stupid. Just because a team drafts a QB in the first round -- or worse, trades up for him -- doesn't guarantee that QB will be a success. The Bills have tried both methods when they knew who was available and failed both times. Because they traded up for Losman in 2004, they couldn't take Aaron Rodgers in 2005: they'd traded away their first round pick, #18, to get "their QB of the future". Rodgers lasted until GB took him at #24 or #25.

But not taking shots in case you miss NEVER solves the issue. The Bills have had some chances to take shots that they have missed by not taking. They need to keep trying. I'm not a "in the 1st every year" guy but they need to take a QB higher every 2 or maximum 3 years until it is proven and established that they have their guy.

My favorite part is where you say, if Tyrod plays really well, trade him and draft an unknown rookie.

Why do you hate this player so much? Will the Crusade ever end?

My favorite part is where you say, if Tyrod plays really well, trade him and draft an unknown rookie.

I believe he was a huge EJ fan and thinks Tyrod stole any chance EJ had at being a starter in the NFL.

Well enough for Tyrod has proven to still not be good enough for a playoff run so well enough for him IMO is to hopefully get some kind of trade for him is what I was trying to say in my post, sorry I didn't post a full length paragraph explaining but yet here we are.

I don't hate Tyrod I just want better, I want a legacy, a dynasty, a playoff QB to be proud enough to know he can win it for us not be in the wishful thinking of wishing for everyone else to do it.

Tyrod had a good game last game I hope he can prove me incorrect and change my feeling on him, I have one leg on his wagon now the most I have had since late last season and this is a long season. My question is will he change my mind about him because you sure dont.

I believe he was a huge EJ fan and thinks Tyrod stole any chance EJ had at being a starter in the NFL.

I supported EJ just like I supported Tyrod and Fitz and any other Bills QB, the EJ garbage type posts that come out of the same few shows their crusade to gang post nonsense to discredit posters that have a different opinion, please don't be one of them.

I still support Tyrod to a degree it's just I want a stud at QB that can go above the QB play we have had over the last decade. I don't believe Tyrod will ever be that QB he is average Joe and until he proves me incorrect my feeling won't change.

This thread is talking about drafting a QB and I posted ONE comment what my opinion was but now in a few posts I get put down and called a big EJ guy while acting like I'm mad at Tyrod because EJ was pushed out, nothing but made up nonsence. SMH

Once again I don't hate Tyrod and I wish him luck proving us incorrect and winning back many fans like myself, until then I will look forward to next years QB class while wishing Tyrod to be that QB I wish the Bills had.

Everyone is entitled to post a opinion without being labeled, this group's crusade needs to be toned down, I did not start the thread I posted one comment on it.

Edited by xRUSHx

Lets just finish this "tanking" season (LOL) 1st... then discuss off season stuff. I am thrown off this year... are we actually decent and should we just draft to fill holes and make a run next year? or draft to get a great QB, WR, RB combo for a serious LONG term deep team?

Sometimes I think TT is just good enough... get younger and faster on the D-line, find WR's and CB and make a run....

Other times I think, we need to get ready to replace some age on the roster, get a great WR and a genuine QB and build slowly. Doing the short term run for the SB rarely works. Building a solid deep foundation takes time.

It all depends on the record at the end of the year.......

Lets just finish this "tanking" season (LOL) 1st... then discuss off season stuff. I am thrown off this year... are we actually decent and should we just draft to fill holes and make a run next year? or draft to get a great QB, WR, RB combo for a serious LONG term deep team?

Sometimes I think TT is just good enough... get younger and faster on the D-line, find WR's and CB and make a run....

Other times I think, we need to get ready to replace some age on the roster, get a great WR and a genuine QB and build slowly. Doing the short term run for the SB rarely works. Building a solid deep foundation takes time.

It all depends on the record at the end of the year.......

Very good post man, I agree its way to early to be talking draft especially with the Bills playing very well. Go Bills

I think the important thing is to keep the whole thing a little grounded in reality.

- This team is 4-2......the chiefs are killing it....there is a strong chance that those 2 first round picks could be in the latter part of the draft. There are a LOT of teams this year that will be looking for quarterbacks. I actually am not against drafting high or even trading some picks to move up a bit. The fact of the matter is this team DOES have other needs which could be filled WITHOUT moving up.

- Tyrod has a winning record as a starter...he is doing it this year with injuries....lack of talent on offense.....a running game that is not dominant like it was last year and that is WITH going against top defenses at the beginning of the season. I still need to see more consistancy from him before I think he shoud be the guy going forward but it is not the worst option in the world especially if we can get our deep threat passing game going again. The ball is in Tyrod's court here.

- I know people ar mixed on Peterman.....I actually like the kid especially for this offense....he is accurate....he throws into tight windows...he has much better mobility then anyone gave him credit for.....and he is a rookie which means he is only going to improve. An excellent use of a 5th round pick.

We need to see how this season plays out.....I really think if we make the playoffs Tyrod is not going anywhere but they still might draft a guy.

+1, I agree completely. how Tyrod plays this next month, month and a half should determine where he stands as a starter. there is a chance however that his game is still middeling and if that is the case i think you have to move on, regardless. enough of this 7-9, 8-8 territory we have become accustomed to.

The Ravens might look to draft a QB fairly high as well.

I just read where Flacco is having the worst season of his career

http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/40012/joe-flaccos-fall-from-super-bowl-mvp-to-31st-ranked-passer-hits-national-stage

that's what a tally of 13 teams. Nearly half the league.

He's my 30th starter right now, ahead of only Kizer and Trubisky. Rough year indeed. Think maybe Maclin has any regrets?

They will have to pick 1st IMO. How do you presume trading ahead of Cleveland and SF? They are taking QB. Getting Rosen is just not an option.

Dont forget to add the NYGiants in that equation......how long can they rely on Eli....his career is almost @ the end and no successor behind him yet.....

I think the important thing is to keep the whole thing a little grounded in reality.

- This team is 4-2......the chiefs are killing it....there is a strong chance that those 2 first round picks could be in the latter part of the draft. There are a LOT of teams this year that will be looking for quarterbacks. I actually am not against drafting high or even trading some picks to move up a bit. The fact of the matter is this team DOES have other needs which could be filled WITHOUT moving up.

- Tyrod has a winning record as a starter...he is doing it this year with injuries....lack of talent on offense.....a running game that is not dominant like it was last year and that is WITH going against top defenses at the beginning of the season. I still need to see more consistancy from him before I think he shoud be the guy going forward but it is not the worst option in the world especially if we can get our deep threat passing game going again. The ball is in Tyrod's court here.

- I know people ar mixed on Peterman.....I actually like the kid especially for this offense....he is accurate....he throws into tight windows...he has much better mobility then anyone gave him credit for.....and he is a rookie which means he is only going to improve. An excellent use of a 5th round pick.

We need to see how this season plays out.....I really think if we make the playoffs Tyrod is not going anywhere but they still might draft a guy.

For goodness sake John

Cut it out with the logical posts :D :D :D

(that's sarcasm folks)

He's my 30th starter right now, ahead of only Kizer and Trubisky. Rough year indeed. Think maybe Maclin has any regrets?

Christ and we need the Ravens to Win tonight.

It is cold and chilly now in the DC area. 45 degrees expected around 10PM.

do you think Baltimore would trade for Tyrod?

lol.

wow... They might if they loved him that much when he was there.