Jerry Hughes is Back!

26CornerBlitz

There was a preseason thread asking who was set for a big year. I picked Hughes and thus far he looks great.

@YardsPerPass

Slow-mo of the spin move, nasty

https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/909814064813166592

I wish Alexander was able to pull off the double spin move. Would have looked sweet.

he's looked super pumped up without being completely out of control and causing penalties, (i don't think he snagged a penalty in the first game, did he?).

Its Jerry, they are coming.

There was a preseason thread asking who was set for a big year. I picked Hughes and thus far he looks great.

@YardsPerPass

Great to see him get back to his normal style of play. He looked great.

Looking at the replay, I must say that is an interesting alignment they had on the D-Line: Lorax & Hughes on the edges with Shaq & Ryan Davis on the interior.

When he turned to the ref and told him he should call a delay of game and the ref agreed had me lmao. His body language and a walt coleman crew agreeing with him was toon funny.

He had a great game. It's getting clearer by the day that rex's scheme was the problem.

Jerry was fine, graded well under Rex. It was mostly confusion for the DBs and Preston Brown that hurt Rex's D.

I was really hoping this was the defense we were going to see this year

Just dismayed that we dont have LAST years offense anymore

You think last years offense does much better vs Carolina D on the road? This game reminded me of Baltimore last year.

@YardsPerPass

He better have a big year. If we are only going to rush 4, Hughes has to able to apply pressure or else we will be torn to shreds in zone coverage.

There is a place for Whaley in the NFL. Under solid management and a different atmosphere I can see him having success. He brought in an influx of talent. EJ ruined him...

I never got how EJ ruined him. He didn't want to cut a 1st rounder right away. He brought in other qbs to challenge him. He brought in Tyrod who helped lead a top 10 offense.

There is a place for Whaley in the NFL. Under solid management and a different atmosphere I can see him having success. He brought in an influx of talent. EJ ruined him...

I think if he was allowed to function as a real NFL GM (ie: not Rex Ryan's servant) he would have been fine. I believe he is responsible for bringing us Jordan Poyer, btw...

I never got how EJ ruined him. He didn't want to cut a 1st rounder right away. He brought in other qbs to challenge him. He brought in Tyrod who helped lead a top 10 offense.

Yep... :thumbsup:

Ignoring the fact that striking on a QB in the draft is like winning millions on a lottery, it is much easier to say the GM sucked if a 1st rounder doesn't pan out. To me, Whaley was never the problem with this team...

It was more doubling down on EJ by trading up for Sammy the next year.

do you not think Sammy could have helped us win that game yesterday? Trading up for a wr isn't the best move ever. However, when healthy, he is a very good player who can be a difference maker.

He absolutely could have. It's just that trading away next year's one is a vote of confidence for the QB you took the year before. When Atlanta traded up for Julio, they had Matt Ryan who already looked like the real deal.

• 2 weeks later...

@salmaiorana

Jerry Hughes is playing like a man possessed, and the #Bills defense is soaring. Here’s my SalSpeak column.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/2017/10/06/jerry-hughes-buffalo-bills-defense-leads-nfl-sean-mcdermott/737630001/

ORCHARD PARK – If Jerry Hughes has a dart board at his suburban Buffalo home, it would not surprise me if there’s a picture of Rex Ryan covering the bullseye.

Don’t get me wrong; Hughes doesn’t dislike Ryan, but there’s no question that Hughes’ career was set back a little by his misuse in Ryan’s ill-suited (at least for the Bills) 3-4 defense.

Everyone but Ryan seemed to understand that Hughes is a 4-3 pass-rushing defensive end, and his primary responsibility each week should have been to play stout against the run, and then get after the quarterback, and maybe not necessarily in that order.

He might be playing at a higher level than Mack or Miller through 4 games. Unblockable, Pressure, Gap controll, great coverage and awareness.

When the Bills traded up for Sammy I though for sure they did it for Mack. I was just sitting there saying to myself holy $&!? we got Mack and Hughes and Brady will only play one more season because he would get broken playing the Bills.

Yep... :thumbsup:

Ignoring the fact that striking on a QB in the draft is like winning millions on a lottery, it is much easier to say the GM sucked if a 1st rounder doesn't pan out. To me, Whaley was never the problem with this team...

Whaley caved to Marcel Dareus. Gave him EASILY the worst contract. Also spent two ones on a WR for a QB who clearly wasn't the answer. Bad GM was bad.