Bills Organization Making All The Right Moves.

BurpleBull

I guess I was maybe five or six when I figured out Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy weren't real. Apparently, some Bills fans haven't stopped believing in them even though they're well into adulthood.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's genuinely a lot to be optimistic about with the new regime in place. The organization has made a good deal of impact moves and I agree with all but one, and that one may still pay off in the end.

There were three major moves that happened during the offseason that I was all over:

1. The signing of Sean McDermottt as the Bills head coach after the departure of Rex Ryan.

2. The drafting of Nathan Peterman.

3. The drafting of a potential No.1 receiver to replace Sammy Watkins with.

The Bills look pretty horrid this preseason with all the penalties mounting game after game, but I chalk that up to not having the undisciplined play established while under Rex Ryan being flushed out of the system of the players completely yet. It's only been two games but it takes time for a team with bad habits to take up a new coach's identity and morph into the team that he envisions.

With Sean McDermott and this new coaching staff, it's only a matter of time before the culture change is complete, the team begins adapting to the new style of play, and positive results begin to show.

Nathan Peterman.

With all the talk about QB's this offseason it was a delight to see a guy you coveted actually get selected in the draft.

With the way things ended in Buffalo this past season, there was a bunch of uncertainty at the QB position.

Had we seen the last of Tyrod Taylor?

Was Cardale Jones the guy?

Which QB should the Bills draft in 2017?

Of course as things played out, Tyrod returned, Cardale Jones was traded to the L.A. Chargers and former Bills coach Anthony Lynn, and Nathan Peterman was selected in the 5th rd.

Some fans fear that Cardale Jones will blossom under different coaching and a cannon arm with potential, would have walked away for next to nothing in return.

Time will tell what Cardale Jones really has to offer as a QB, but I don't share those same fears, because as I stated before the NFL Combine process, Senior Bowl Weekend, and the NFL Draft, Nathan Peterman is already the better QB between himself and Jones if Cardale hasn't made many any strides from the previous season. I even went on to state that Peterman has qualities, as a rookie, that surpass that of Tyrod Taylor right now.

He was the QB I preferred if the Bills passed on Mitch Trubisky, DeShaun Watson, and DeShone Kizer in the 1st rd., preferring him over Patrick Mahomes III, who the Bills ironically helped the Chiefs land by trading out of its original draft spot.

I must admit Mahomes has looked good in the preseason, but so has Peterman's accuracy, pocket awareness, decision-making, and poise as a rookie. I bet people's eyes are being opened now to what Peterman brings to the table.

The Sammy Watkins trade was a shocker, but it was a move that I understood completely.

Regardless of how Watkins' career pans out with the Los Angeles Rams, the decision was solid.

For a long time I thought the Bills needed to bring in a wide receiver who would not just complement Watkins, but could outright replace him as the team's No. 1 receiver and I think the Bills finally have that in Zay Jones. Not as heralded out of college as Watkins was out of Clemson, but I think his ability along with his intangibles will prove him to be the receiver fans hoped Watkins would be when drafted No. 4 in 2014. The injuries, made the trade make sense, the potential contract situation given his history of injuries made it make sense, and the fact that I always felt the Watkins was a slightly overrated impact player for the Bills made the trade make sense...at least to me.

The only move I'm somewhat skeptical about is the trade of Ronald Darby to the Philly, and man was my Skept-O-Meter going crazy after he intercepted Tyrod Taylor and nearly returned it for a TD. Luckily E.J. Gaines, the DB who was nabbed along with an extra 3rd rounder returned the favor later in the game. So I'm a little more hopeful that McDermott and the Bills coaching staff know something about E.J. Gaines that most Bills fans' probably don't.

All in all, a very good off-season.

The addition of Sean McDermott, Nathan Peterman, Zay Jones, stud rookies from last season returning healthy, solid trades/FA signings, and a slew of additional 2018 draft picks, things are finally looking up for the Bills

This time, for real.

No better time to reverse the Bills fortune than by winning this upcoming 2017 season. Go Bills!

sorry guys i don't agree with one of the trades they were not even and if we trade them its going to get worse and both players are free agents BEANE NEEDS TO GO IMMEDIATELY now boldin retiring bad move by the front office and all coaches they won't make the palyoffs for another 20 years ALL THE WRONG MOVES NOT GOOD FOR THE FRANCHISE WHO IS GOING TO come to buffalo in free agency not many

I feel like maybe these 2 are actually the same poster who suffers from multiple personality disorder.

Boldin retiring is a HUGE embarrassment for the front office. There is no there way to spin it. He was brought in to soften the blow from trading Sammy and to provide much needed leadership in the locker room. Now what? He quit on the team before even playing one snap at home...and the locker room is going to be a wreck now. Good luck spinning this to the remaining players. WHAT A MESS

There's genuinely a lot to be optimistic about with the new regime in place. The organization has made a good deal of impact moves and I agree with all but one, and that one may still pay off in the end.

There were three major moves that happened during the offseason that I was all over:

1. The signing of Sean McDermottt as the Bills head coach after the departure of Rex Ryan.

The Bills look pretty horrid this preseason with all the penalties mounting game after game, but I chalk that up to not having the undisciplined play established while under Rex Ryan being flushed out of the system of the players completely yet. It's only been two games but it takes time for a team with bad habits to take up a new coach's identity and morph into the team that he envisions.

With Sean McDermott and this new coaching staff, it's only a matter of time before the culture change is complete, the team begins adapting to the new style of play, and positive results begin to show.

Nathan Peterman.

With all the talk about QB's this offseason it was a delight to see a guy you coveted actually get selected in the draft.

With the way things ended in Buffalo this past season, there was a bunch of uncertainty at the QB position.

Of course as things played out, Tyrod returned, Cardale Jones was traded to the L.A. Chargers and former Bills coach Anthony Lynn, and Nathan Peterman was selected in the 5th rd.

Some fans fear that Cardale Jones will blossom under different coaching and a cannon arm with potential, would have walked away for next to nothing in return.

Time will tell what Cardale Jones really has to offer as a QB, but I don't share those same fears, because as I stated before the NFL Combine process, Senior Bowl Weekend, and the NFL Draft, Nathan Peterman is already the better QB between himself and Jones if Cardale hasn't made many any strides from the previous season. I even went on to state that Peterman has qualities, as a rookie, that surpass that of Tyrod Taylor right now.

He was the QB I preferred if the Bills passed on Mitch Trubisky, DeShaun Watson, and DeShone Kizer in the 1st rd., preferring him over Patrick Mahomes III, who the Bills ironically helped the Chiefs land by trading out of its original draft spot.

I must admit Mahomes has looked good in the preseason, but so has Peterman's accuracy, pocket awareness, decision-making, and poise as a rookie. I bet people's eyes are being opened now to what Peterman brings to the table.

The Sammy Watkins trade was a shocker, but it was a move that I understood completely.

Regardless of how Watkins' career pans out with the Los Angeles Rams, the decision was solid.

For a long time I thought the Bills needed to bring in a wide receiver who would not just complement Watkins, but could outright replace him as the team's No. 1 receiver and I think the Bills finally have that in Zay Jones. Not as heralded out of college as Watkins was out of Clemson, but I think his ability along with his intangibles will prove him to be the receiver fans hoped Watkins would be when drafted No. 4 in 2014. The injuries, made the trade make sense, the potential contract situation given his history of injuries made it make sense, and the fact that I always felt the Watkins was a slightly overrated impact player for the Bills made the trade make sense...at least to me.

The only move I'm somewhat skeptical about is the trade of Ronald Darby to the Philly, and man was my Skept-O-Meter going crazy after he intercepted Tyrod Taylor and nearly returned it for a TD. Luckily E.J. Gaines, the DB who was nabbed along with an extra 3rd rounder returned the favor later in the game. So I'm a little more hopeful that McDermott and the Bills coaching staff know something about E.J. Gaines that most Bills fans' probably don't.

The addition of Sean McDermott, Nathan Peterman, Zay Jones, stud rookies from last season returning healthy, solid trades/FA signings, and a slew of additional 2018 draft picks, things are finally looking up for the Bills

This time, for real.

No better time to reverse the Bills fortune than by winning this upcoming 2017 season. Go Bills!

Great post. The future is bright here.

I would love to see Peterman every game this season because if he is the real deal, watch out with all the picks we have.

I'm glad we finally have a PLAN in place.

Boldin retiring is a HUGE embarrassment for the front office. There is no there way to spin it. He was brought in to soften the blow from trading Sammy and to provide much needed leadership in the locker room. Now what? He quit on the team before even playing one snap at home...and the locker room is going to be a wreck now. Good luck spinning this to the remaining players. WHAT A MESS

It would have been a much, much bigger mess to keep him on the team and even worse, actually have him start. His performance last week was pitiful to watch, Players aren't stupid, they saw what he had to offer, Everyone realizes Boldin was way past his prime.

I don't think the lockeroom will be a mess nor do I think it is an embarrassment to the FO, they took a shot and it didn't work out, I cant blame them for that. Lockeroom would have probably been a mess had they kept on over the hill player that cant contribute.

Only real question I have is did the Bills work out AQ before they signed him, if they didn't than it is embarrassing for them.

I guess I was maybe five or six when I figured out Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy weren't real. Apparently, some Bills fans haven't stopped believing in them even though they're well into adulthood.

I think you have missed the mark here. Professional sports=entertainment. It's an escape from reality. It's a soap opera for sports loving people. It is the original reality tv series and business is booming!

Picking sides on this soap opera is the pursuit of entertainment. Positive people will be so, critical people will be so, the earth will turn and each perspective will be rewarded with being right sometimes.

The single largest fictional construct of the entire endeavor is when people believe that the outcome really changes their lives. It doesn't. If you love watching the bills play with your family, you're going to do it.

If it's your favorite fall Sunday activity with your 7 yr old son, as with me- you will keep doing it. If you love to tailgate and tossing a football around in the snow you will. Someday they'll win, but they are competing against 31 other teams trying to do the same. If it's a way of bonding with the family, it should continue to be.

Believe what you want. You'll be right sometimes and wrong others. But there are zero results to gauge these guys on. Literally nothing. They're not doing the same thing as the last regime. But that last regime was deemed unsuccessful. Maybe the fan base ire over these transaction pinpoint that they are a paradigm shift the organization needed.

But assailing folks for taking views opposing your own as akin to figments and fairy tails?

It's interesting how Watkins was such a bum before the trade and now he was the glue holding the team together. Weren't we supposed to be a 4-win team with him?

Well I never thought he was a bum. Some fans had issues with him beyond football. He wasn't the " glue" but he was their most talented offensive player next to Shady by a long shot.

Literally laughed out loud reading this.

Boldin was here for - what, a week and a half?

Good Lord, people.

I think they're referring to the WR corps' lack of veteran leadership/presence in general.

....and they have a point

I don't understand how this is an embarrassment to the front office. They pursued a player with a strong body of work, still had an interest in playing, but then made a decision to retire. How is that on the front office? They are trying to bring in players, but are not mind readers. Boldin retiring is actually a blessing for the Team, fans and Boldin. He did not look good in preseason and now gives an opportunity to a young, speedy, hungry WR.

oh my. save the drama for your mama.

You're lucky most of the doom and gloomers are over on the Boldin thread railing against the machine, sharpening pitchforks and lighting torches. These moves are exactly what needed to be done, the only caveat being they never should have waited till rd 5 to take Peterman.

I do think, however, the winning starts next year (barring a holywood type shocker) and 4 to 5 wins is probable.

Same here, I thought the Bills should've taken him 3rd rd. Just glad they saw qualities worthy of drafting him at all, because it was nerve-wracking to see him available round after round falling to the next.

He's gonna prove to be better than a lot of people think if the Bills opt to stick with him through his development.

I'm a little more optimistic about winning. Why not now? New system that everyone starts fresh with and we've got the players from last season who feel the Bills were almost there.

I think the veteran guys can get the other players to rally behind them. That along with smart coaching, I think the Bills can at the very least hit .500.

Same here, I thought the Bills should've taken him 3rd rd. Just glad they saw qualities worthy of drafting him at all, because it was nerve-wracking to see him available round after round falling to the next.

He's gonna prove to be better than a lot of people think if the Bills opt to stick with him through his development.

I'm a little more optimistic about winning. Why not now? New system that everyone starts fresh with and we've got the players from last season who feel the Bills were almost there.

I think the veteran guys can get the other players to rally behind them. That along with smart coaching, I think the Bills can at the very least hit .500.

If Peterman was drafted in the fifth then it was a great decision to draft him in the fifth. Any earlier was a reach. The real mistake was last year when it was pretty well known that they liked Dak Prescott. They should have drafted him , but blew their draft wad moving up to get Ragland . So a better argument would be that they should have skipped A. Washington and drafted Dak a bit early. Seems Peterman went exactly where he should have. The Bills would be in much better shape if not for Whaleys freewheeling style with draft picks.

As far as winning goes, it's safe to say not to expect much. A new system isn't a panacea, there will be growing pains and some players won't be a fit. Many players from last season are no longer here. Thers no guarantee the Bills will get smart coaching. .500 is probably a tall order for this team.

Relax SoCal, the players are adults. Also, the players can see better than anyone how good Reilly & Shorts have been looking. I was all for the Boldin signing but wow did he look slow & overweight last game. We shall see.

I think you have missed the mark here. Professional sports=entertainment. It's an escape from reality. It's a soap opera for sports loving people. It is the original reality tv series and business is booming!

Picking sides on this soap opera is the pursuit of entertainment. Positive people will be so, critical people will be so, the earth will turn and each perspective will be rewarded with being right sometimes.

The single largest fictional construct of the entire endeavor is when people believe that the outcome really changes their lives. It doesn't. If you love watching the bills play with your family, you're going to do it.

If it's your favorite fall Sunday activity with your 7 yr old son, as with me- you will keep doing it. If you love to tailgate and tossing a football around in the snow you will. Someday they'll win, but they are competing against 31 other teams trying to do the same. If it's a way of bonding with the family, it should continue to be.

Believe what you want. You'll be right sometimes and wrong others. But there are zero results to gauge these guys on. Literally nothing. They're not doing the same thing as the last regime. But that last regime was deemed unsuccessful. Maybe the fan base ire over these transaction pinpoint that they are a paradigm shift the organization needed.

But assailing folks for taking views opposing your own as akin to figments and fairy tails?

I didn't miss the mark at all. The OP posted his interpretation of the Bills' off season actions on a message board. My opinion is that his interpretation is based on fantasy. I have just as much right to my opinion as the OP does to his, and posters to a message board have to expect that others may very well disagree with what they write.

I responded to one poster who started a thread based on ideas that I strongly disagreed with, yet you decided that I respond to any and all posters who have different views than I do in that same way. Maybe you should examine why you did that.

We would be a better team if we kept the good players we draft.

CB-1 Gilmore

CB-2 Darby

CB-3 White

WR-1 Watkins

WR-2 Woods

WR-3 Jones

We don't like to sign former round 1 and 2 drafts picks here for some reason cause they cost too much $$$. White and Jones will be gone as well in 3-4 years, if they actually play to their drafted level or expectation.

I keep reading you build through the draft at TBD and LOL just based off what is listed in your post. But hey, we got back a 2nd and 3rd rounder and only gave three 1st and two 2nd rd picks.

Outstanding organization moves moves right there. SMH

Edited by Real McCoy

If Peterman was drafted in the fifth then it was a great decision to draft him in the fifth. Any earlier was a reach. The real mistake was last year when it was pretty well known that they liked Dak Prescott. They should have drafted him , but blew their draft wad moving up to get Ragland . So a better argument would be that they should have skipped A. Washington and drafted Dak a bit early. Seems Peterman went exactly where he should have. The Bills would be in much better shape if not for Whaleys freewheeling style with draft picks.

As far as winning goes, it's safe to say not to expect much. A new system isn't a panacea, there will be growing pains and some players won't be a fit. Many players from last season are no longer here. Thers no guarantee the Bills will get smart coaching. .500 is probably a tall order for this team.

If you really like someone and think he will help your team a lot and possibly develop into a starter/pro bowler, you don't wait until he "should have been drafted here info". Especially at QB. You draft him a round or so earlier to make sure you get him as most other teams fall for the fallacy of "draft at position for good value".

Bills missed out on Russell Wilson because of this way of thinking.

PS: just don't do it as a trade up if your the Bills as they have failed very time they tried that.

Edited by cba fan

I didn't miss the mark at all. The OP posted his interpretation of the Bills' off season actions on a message board. My opinion is that his interpretation is based on fantasy. I have just as much right to my opinion as the OP does to his, and posters to a message board have to expect that others may very well disagree with what they write.

I responded to one poster who started a thread based on ideas that I strongly disagreed with, yet you decided that I respond to any and all posters who have different views than I do in that same way. Maybe you should examine why you did that.

Sorry there, Different views are good of course.

My question is What in your view is the positive crowd missing on the topic?

Such astute reasoning which materialized at age 6 could surely produce a more compelling counter to the thesis, than 'you're naive and wrong because I'm right, Santa Claus, Easter bunny, etc..'

Nathan Peterman.

This time, for real.

Brandon Beane.....is that you? :w00t: