Ragland and who for Alex Smith? Can it work?

At this point, if we can get a 3rd for him, take it

Why not just wait until he's fully recovered from the ACL injury and in the mean time let him contribute on Special Teams. Preston Brown could be a UFA next season and Hodges is only on a 1 year deal.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Several reporters suggest we trade Ragland to KC. I would want Alex Smith back since the Chiefs don't see him as their long term QB. I think he would be perfect for what Dennison wants to do. He's very efficient and surprisingly mobile at times.

I think KC wouldn't do Ragland for Smith straight up, but I wouldn't add more than a 4th rd pick. Who else could we afford to throw in to make it happen? Philly Brown? Holmes? Ducasse?

There was a time, a few years ago, when Smith was actually available when he was set to leave San Fran.

There was some debate here about whether or not the Bills would benefit from signing him.

The consensus among the usual crowd was "no way" though others, myself included, suggested he would be an upgrade, even if flawed.

The guy is competent at throwing a football. Nothing too fantastic, but competent.

He would have been much better than anyone we have had at the QB position since that time.

Now?

He's not available.

While I agree trading him doesn't hurt the D and the direction it's heading, I wouldn't trade him to KC unless they offer up the 2nd we spent on him. I doubt he would make a noticeable difference on a team this late coming off a major injury.

Call me when we have 3 first, second and third round picks...we want KC to struggle this year.

My take is, keep Ragland and move him to outside LB. He will do better for sure.

Only problem is the zone defense. If McD gave him a player assignment I think it will also work wonders but idk how much of a man coverage scheme we have just yet.

We should get a good glimpse of "some" sort of gameplanning in the next preseason game so we should have a better idea of how the defense is being coached.

I haven't seen anything posts on this but it is intriguing.

Definitely haven't seen anything about trading Ragland in here...wait...the board has been actively discussing this for the last 1+ week.

My other thought? You don't jettison a promising young player on a dirt cheap contract unless you receive an offer your can't refuse (i.e. 3 round pick or better).

Why not just wait until he's fully recovered from the ACL injury and in the mean time let him contribute on Special Teams. Preston Brown could be a UFA next season and Hodges is only on a 1 year deal.

Yeah that's kinda' the thing.........if Preston Brown works in this defense then Ragnuts should when he gets healthier.

Same guy on the hoof.......which is one of the things that made drafting him so idiotic.

How many JAGGY starters at ILB do you need to exhaust 2nd and 3rd round picks on?

f they end up using the Sammy or Darby picks on another one.... :lol::doh:

If some team offers a 4th round pick, I would drop Reggie. But I honestly don't see a team offering more than a 6th round pick. If it's a choice between a 6th or 7th round pick and keeping Reggie, I would rather keep Reggie. Reggie is a year removed from a major injury to his knee. Bills have a lot of options at LB and can basically redshirt Reggie as a backup this year. Let his knee heal and have him focus on learning the system. Then give him another full offseason of rest and see what he can do next year.

Reggie has good instincts and is a very physical player. He just seems to lack the range needed to play in the current system. I think it is possible that more time removed from his injury could lead to him getting back some of his range and maybe being better able to play in the system. Granted it is possible that he just isn't a fit and is too slow. But unless I get a 4th round pick I would rather try to rebuild him and get something out of him than selling low.

Agreed.

From Wikipedia's 3-4 defense page, our potential trade partners are:

"As of 2017, NFL teams that regularly incorporate the 3–4 defensive alignment scheme as a base include the

- Green Bay Packers

- Los Angeles Rams

- Pittsburgh Steelers

- Baltimore Ravens

- Arizona Cardinals

- Indianapolis Colts

- Kansas City Chiefs

- New York Jets

- Washington Redskins

- Denver Broncos

- Tennessee Titans

- Houston Texans

- Chicago Bears"

I'd say let's not trade within the conference, so Packers, Rams, Cardinals, Redskins, Bears? We've got recent trade history with Rams. They have Ogletree and Littleton in the middle, but I'm not sure whether they would be seeking an ILB.

I haven't seen anything posts on this but it is intriguing. It talks about a trade to the Chiefs but has no option for what the Bills would get in return.

Trading Ragland, I don't think will hurt the team and could get us something well worth while. I haven't looked over the Chiefs roster but wonder if there is a speedster we could use. I don't know Tod I'd trade for the sake of stockpiling picks. but a 34 defensive team might be willing to cough up something good.

Any thoughts? I think it would be nice to get our hands on a deep threat, especially if Matthews is going to miss time.

Rather have a tackle ,how's Eric Fisher doing these days?

Why the hell would the Bills help the Chiefs this year? We want them to lose as many games as possible.

Good point,almost forgot about them.

I think they have more faith in Ragland than many believe. They are not putting much on him while he comes back from his knee. By mid season i think he starts pushing brown for the mike.

Edited by Mat68

I still think Ragland will be coached up to reach his professional potential and be a beast for the Bills.

...CAREFUL with that voice of reason crap.....the proverbial "One 'n Done" crowd has 'em at the Greyhound bus station already.......remember Darby was declared a BUST as a rook who got torched in a fuggin' PRE-SEASON game.....and now the "experts" are pissed about the trade and the kid showed up for Eagles vs. Buffalo......Comedy Central baby.....unsupervised children posters need parental supervision...BBMB nightmares revisited....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

There was a time, a few years ago, when Smith was actually available when he was set to leave San Fran.

There was some debate here about whether or not the Bills would benefit from signing him.

The consensus among the usual crowd was "no way" though others, myself included, suggested he would be an upgrade, even if flawed.

The guy is competent at throwing a football. Nothing too fantastic, but competent.

He would have been much better than anyone we have had at the QB position since that time.

Now?

He's not available.

Actually, the Bills attempted to trade for Smith ( at that point the only team that offered SF two draft picks) but lost out to KC when the Chiefs matched. It was that close. Personally, I believe the Bills make the playoffs in 2014 if that trade had gone through.

Is Alex smith a franchise qb? Then no

....keep in mind that the legendary "OBD QB assessors (COUGH)" deemed Smith as a "lateral move from Fitzpatrick" when Alex was to hit the open market.....OBD's QB assessments have been beyond woeful since Kelly era.....comically sad..................

....keep in mind that the legendary "OBD QB assessors (COUGH)" deemed Smith as a "lateral move from Fitzpatrick" when Alex was to hit the open market.....OBD's QB assessments have been beyond woeful since Kelly era.....comically sad..................

So Director of Pro Player Personnel Doug Whaley thouht he was a lateral move to Fitz.... Not surprised.

Because if he's not a fit, then he's simply not a fit. If health is the issue, I'm surprised they let him on the field

• 2 weeks later...

NFL.com: Trades that make too much sense

The preseason is young and there's still a lot of football left to watch before kickoff, but Marc Sessler has already identified seven potential deals around the league that are almost too perfect.NFL.com

This is all about trades that make sense for the receiving team, but little about what the receiving team would provide that would motivate the trade

Edit: apparently "little" is exactly what it took to motivate the Bills to make that trade

Stop making Sense

No one is going to trade much for Ragland right now as a guy who can't stay on the field with the 1st or 2nd team D. (Edit: this part of prediction true)

Smith, on the other hand, is the QB who has led KC to the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years. Mahomes may be the future, but Smith is their QB of the present. He's not going to be traded for a pair of old shoe soles and a gleam of hope. (Edit: this part of prediction still apparently true.)

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

This is a goofy idea. Why would a rebuilding team like the Bills trade for an average, 33 year old QB? We have an average 28 year old QB.

SCHEME! Alex Smith can operate in a WCO. Tyrod can not, as he has proved over and over this pre-season. Smith would be a perfect holdover for 2-3 years while we develop our franchise QB. He is smart, efficient and better than anything we've had for awhile.

UPDATE: We ended up trading Ragland to KC. Would rather have upped the ante and got a QB.

I would take Smith in a sec. The chiefs would probably need medical assistance from laughing to hard if we proposed Ragland for him. We could probably get a bag of onions for Ragland right now. Teams don't make trades with you, just to help you. They need to get something back of fair value

Hence the question, Ragland and who? Unfortunately a moot point now as we got a bag of waffles.