Player reactions: common theme emerges

Tyrod Taylor:

"Being in this league seven years, every day that you step into a building, it could be your last day," Taylor said. "Things happen around the league. Like I said, just surprised but I wish Sammy [Watkins] the best. I haven’t had the chance to talk to him. I will call him tonight. It’s been a fast day but I’m definitely surprised.

"I have faith in our management and I have faith in Coach McDermott that they made a decision based on the betterment of this team. Like I said, definitely just surprised that everything happened. It just happened so fast. He was with a guy yesterday, seeing him this morning and then everything is sprung on you. Like I said, it’s the nature of this business and you’ve got to continue moving forward. Our focus as a team is still the same thing – to go out and win games. We have to continue to keep focusing on that each day."

Kyle Williams:

"I’ve been around long enough to know that the only constant thing is change," Williams said. "Nothing totally shocks me anymore, but I was a little bit surprised this morning.

"I was actually just talking to somebody about it. You could view it one way from my perspective, if we got a pick this year, two two years from now for both picks. We’re actually getting guys that are coming back to play those positions so I don’t scout and evaluate guys, so we’re actually getting people back and some picks. I know more than anything that my attitude and my leadership and the way that I work cant change because of it changes, guys change and above all that, I trust Sean [McDermott]. I’m going to do what I’ve always done and I’m going to go out there and get ready to win."

Zay Jones:

"I don’t think anyone can place some of the things that Sammy has done for me, just being a rookie," Jones said. "You know, my first year, like I said, he was one of the first guys that I met and he was there for me, really helped me through that process. Sad to see him leave, but got to look forward. We have a great team, still some solid vets on here. They’re going to help and lead the way, so its going to a good time."

"I feel I was brought here for a reason, that’s to help this football team. So whatever my job is, that’s I’m going to do it to the best of my ability. Outside people may see it as that, but its just going out and doing my job each and everyday."

Anquan Boldin:

"For me, I would have loved to have played alongside Sammy, but that wasn't the reason I signed here," Boldin said. "The reason I signed here is the guys who are still here. I believe in coach Sean and what he's doing and the direction that this organization is headed in. Even if Sammy hadn't been here when I came on my visit, I still would have signed."

Eric Wood:

"When you see a guy of that caliber get traded, it kind of makes you think about your job security," Wood said. "Especially younger guys that are new to this business. But that's reality. There's a lot of turnover in this business. They're making decision that they think are best for this team. I'm not in charge. I stay in my lane."

"In the extreme short-term it was sad," Wood said. "You say good bye to a buddy in Sammy and Darby. That's sad, but it's your job to play football and be the best player you can be and help this team win. We went out and had an awesome practice and I don't think anyone was dragging around out there."

LeSean McCoy:
"I texted him, I’m going to talk to him. Sammy’s one of those guys where he’s been like a superstar his whole life and he hasn’t had a real older mentor that has done more than him that can really give him advice. It’s one thing to take advice from an older guy that he’s probably better than or have done more than, with a guy that can really talk about success on the field and off the field and listen to him, and that’s something that we’ve been developing over the short period of time here. He looked good. He looked mentally ready and physically healthy, but I’m sure he’s hurt. I’ve been there and you kind of get traded. It’s a business. It’s a business and he has to understand that. But I can understand that type of way he feels, being traded for a guy that he’s probably better than. I understand him. But, he’ll be alright. It’s a business. He’ll go over and have a pretty good year and then in a year or two, you won’t even talk about it. That’s how it works."

After such a big move by the team its amazing to hear these types of responses from the players. These sound like men who have totally bought into McDermott and a team first mentality. I cant help but get patriots vibes after reading these. These are the same things patriots players said when Chandler Jones and Logan Mankins were traded. In a way this trade on the surface has appeared to actually improved the resolve and bond amongst the men in the locker room towards having a successful season. They sound like guys who are on a mission.

Or maybe im just a homer.

Edited by TallskiWallski83

What are they supposed to say? This is canned reactions.

If a plane fell on tyrod Taylor tomorrow it would be "saddened for our loss for a team, I love Jesus and I have faith that we will rebuild."

If Godzilla attacked "we are strong, we can rebuild, we rebuilt after Rex, we are family."

It's all crap

Remember when the Pats cut Milloy and we signed him and we were on our way to a championship?

Good times.

If a plane fell on tyrod Taylor tomorrow it would be "saddened for our loss for a team, I love Jesus and I have faith that we will rebuild."

If Godzilla attacked "we are strong, we can rebuild, we rebuilt after Rex, we are family."

It's all crap

OK, so how are they really feeling since you seem to know.

It's all crap

Dude. None of these players needed to specifically call out the coach and say "I trust Sean." That's big. We can agree or disagree on the trades (I'm still on the fence) but I think McD has earned the players' trust. The Boldin comments stick out to me in particular.

Dang Tyrod made it sound like I feel when I walk into my job.....is today the day I get canned? Lol. LeSean did not seem at all happy about it. We shall see how it pans out

After reading my own post, maybe what they said didn't sound all that great at all

Dude. None of these players needed to specifically call out the coach and say "I trust Sean." That's big. We can agree or disagree on the trades (I'm still on the fence) but I think McD has earned the players' trust. The Boldin comments stick out to me in particular.

I never trust what comes out of a players mouth until it's so stupid that it is obviously from a player

Remember when the Pats cut Milloy and we signed him and we were on our way to a championship?

Good times.

OK, so how are they really feeling since you seem to know.

well, according to the ones I've matched on tinder. They're not happy

Dear Lord. Players trusted and believed in Jauron and Gailey.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but please -- ANY link to a quote from a player after a significant trade with the phrase "I trust Dick" or "I trust Chan" would really be appreciated here.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but please -- ANY link to a quote from a player after a significant trade with the phrase "I trust Dick" or "I trust Chan" would really be appreciated here.

We're there any significant and controversial trades that would warrant that type of comment?

Great thread.

I'm not sure I agree on the level of importance, bht I enjoyed reading the OP.

I hope Sean works out to be one of those coaches that everyone inherently trusts, but that takes consistent success. Only time will tell.

We're there any significant and controversial trades that would warrant that type of comment?

Trading the Beast to Seattle?

I remember I thought that was pretty dumb.

Cutting Fred was kind of traumatic.

Edited by reddogblitz

The current regime seems to have a plan, a vision, and is shaking things up to help undo a generation of suck at OBD.

Embrace it.

I'm with you. For the first time in probably 10 years i'm actually OPTIMISTIC about the future of the Bills. It's kind of refreshing.

The tears of the "satisfied with the status quo" crowd baffle me.

Tyrod Taylor:

"Being in this league seven years, every day that you step into a building, it could be your last day," Taylor said. "Things happen around the league. Like I said, just surprised but I wish Sammy [Watkins] the best. I haven’t had the chance to talk to him. I will call him tonight. It’s been a fast day but I’m definitely surprised.

"I have faith in our management and I have faith in Coach McDermott that they made a decision based on the betterment of this team. Like I said, definitely just surprised that everything happened. It just happened so fast. He was with a guy yesterday, seeing him this morning and then everything is sprung on you. Like I said, it’s the nature of this business and you’ve got to continue moving forward. Our focus as a team is still the same thing – to go out and win games. We have to continue to keep focusing on that each day."

Kyle Williams:

"I’ve been around long enough to know that the only constant thing is change," Williams said. "Nothing totally shocks me anymore, but I was a little bit surprised this morning.

"I was actually just talking to somebody about it. You could view it one way from my perspective, if we got a pick this year, two two years from now for both picks. We’re actually getting guys that are coming back to play those positions so I don’t scout and evaluate guys, so we’re actually getting people back and some picks. I know more than anything that my attitude and my leadership and the way that I work cant change because of it changes, guys change and above all that, I trust Sean [McDermott]. I’m going to do what I’ve always done and I’m going to go out there and get ready to win."

Zay Jones:

"I don’t think anyone can place some of the things that Sammy has done for me, just being a rookie," Jones said. "You know, my first year, like I said, he was one of the first guys that I met and he was there for me, really helped me through that process. Sad to see him leave, but got to look forward. We have a great team, still some solid vets on here. They’re going to help and lead the way, so its going to a good time."

"I feel I was brought here for a reason, that’s to help this football team. So whatever my job is, that’s I’m going to do it to the best of my ability. Outside people may see it as that, but its just going out and doing my job each and everyday."

Anquan Boldin:

"For me, I would have loved to have played alongside Sammy, but that wasn't the reason I signed here," Boldin said. "The reason I signed here is the guys who are still here. I believe in coach Sean and what he's doing and the direction that this organization is headed in. Even if Sammy hadn't been here when I came on my visit, I still would have signed."

Eric Wood:

"When you see a guy of that caliber get traded, it kind of makes you think about your job security," Wood said. "Especially younger guys that are new to this business. But that's reality. There's a lot of turnover in this business. They're making decision that they think are best for this team. I'm not in charge. I stay in my lane."

"In the extreme short-term it was sad," Wood said. "You say good bye to a buddy in Sammy and Darby. That's sad, but it's your job to play football and be the best player you can be and help this team win. We went out and had an awesome practice and I don't think anyone was dragging around out there."

LeSean McCoy:

"I texted him, I’m going to talk to him. Sammy’s one of those guys where he’s been like a superstar his whole life and he hasn’t had a real older mentor that has done more than him that can really give him advice. It’s one thing to take advice from an older guy that he’s probably better than or have done more than, with a guy that can really talk about success on the field and off the field and listen to him, and that’s something that we’ve been developing over the short period of time here. He looked good. He looked mentally ready and physically healthy, but I’m sure he’s hurt. I’ve been there and you kind of get traded. It’s a business. It’s a business and he has to understand that. But I can understand that type of way he feels, being traded for a guy that he’s probably better than. I understand him. But, he’ll be alright. It’s a business. He’ll go over and have a pretty good year and then in a year or two, you won’t even talk about it. That’s how it works."

After such a big move by the team its amazing to hear these types of responses from the players. These sound like men who have totally bought into McDermott and a team first mentality. I cant help but get patriots vibes after reading these. These are the same things patriots players said when Chandler Jones and Logan Mankins were traded. In a way this trade on the surface has appeared to actually improved the resolve and bond amongst the men in the locker room towards having a successful season. They sound like guys who are on a mission.

Holy crap this sounds like guys professing their loyalty to Saddam Hussein when he entered the Iraq congress with a pistol and had pols walked out one by one.

I buy that the majority of Bills players have trust in Sean's HC ability

However alot of that trust is based on his character and not his coaching record

And if HC Sean wins 9+ games the year the trust placed in him will grow

However the opposite is true

If he goes out and only wins 5-6 games this year that trust will organically recede

So it only means something if you win, just like today's blockbuster trade will only viewed in positive light years from now if we win

jc

Andy Travis: Herb Tarlek is a hard worker, a loyal husband and all around fine person.

Jennifer: Herb is a hard worker, a loyal husband and all around fine person.

Venus: I'd say he's a hard worker, a loyal husband and an all around fine person.

Art Carlson: Hard worker, loyal husband, fine person.

Herb's son: my dad is a hard worker, loyal husband and all around fine person.

Sorry for the ancient WKRP reference...but I couldn't resist.

Cliff notes?

The interviewers seem to be goading him into saying something bad about Buffalo, other than acknowleding that it is warmer, and sunnier, he didn't bite. They asked him what kind of a teammate Sammy is, he says he is great, very dedicated to winning, pushes his teammates to be better...said he was shocked by the news, texted Sammy, talked to him later, Sammy is happy to be getting a fresh start, and can't wait to get there...nothing too earlth shattering....also referred to the Rams as "Buffalo-West"

It's huge.

When they win 5 games this season it will be remembered.

:lol:

It's all crap

Exactly

To me it says a lot that Tyrod and Sammy haven't spoken after the trade.

McCoy also made it sound like Watkins was a Diva.

I think the players and regular fans (the non quick-trigger, hyper-emotional ones) of the team were ready to move on from the Sammy drama. It's not the normal kind of drama where the player talks all the time, like ODB, it was more of an undercurrent of drama that just never seemed to go away. Dude never looked happy in Buffalo.

The interviewers seem to be goading him into saying something bad about Buffalo, other than acknowleding that it is warmer, and sunnier, he didn't bite. They asked him what kind of a teammate Sammy is, he says he is great, very dedicated to winning, pushes his teammates to be better...said he was shocked by the news, texted Sammy, talked to him later, Sammy is happy to be getting a fresh start, and can't wait to get there...nothing too earlth shattering....also referred to the Rams as "Buffalo-West"

:lol:

Thats really funny. Woods a solid professional with no forked tongue comments, I gotta respect that.

No one can justify these trades, so without knocking them publicly the only thing the employees can do is say "I trust management."

I'm with you. For the first time in probably 10 years i'm actually OPTIMISTIC about the future of the Bills. It's kind of refreshing.

I would agree with you if we were actually tanking. But we traded away our 24 year old WR and haven't traded our 29 year old star RB. Makes zero sense to trade away the one asset that could potentially help a young QB long term.

Edited by Chilly

Lets wait and see if they get a franchise QB to develop. The Browns have loaded up with picks many times.