Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

Good post and I agree wholeheartedly.

And while I'm not a TT guy...I think they are putting him and the offense as a whole in a tough spot. This team has no outside threat, and team's will load up on the run and short pass game.

Watkins was an elite talent, and you don't jettison him unless you get a great return.

The Bills got worse today, and now need to draft a playmaking WR again.

Along with DL, Kyle is definitley retiring next year, another CB.

And again I ask: how so?

A stronger top 3 at CB - yes I'm viewing Gaines as an upgrade over Darby, who was consistently a liability

A WR who will consistently be on the field and will likely give us stats similar to what Sammy gave us in 2014 (This is pretty much a guarantee as opposed to the IF Sammy stays healthy he's gonna go for 1700 yards and 12 TDs)

Most importantly, we now have the picks needed to start legitimately building through the draft. This is how all good teams do it in this league, and 2018 will be the start of that for us.

So Sammy is unprofessional because his bones can break? That's a joke.

You said that, not me.

I do think that Matthews strikes me as more of a professional than Watkins.

I do know that Matthews is more often available, that he puts up similar stats, and that he is just as good if not better of a fit for our offense.

I'm stunned this trade came out of nowhere. Not even a leak. Was this because Beane really didn't shop Sammy around? Could he have gotten more?

They got a corner.....the most important position. This offseason was dedicated to the cornerback position. How are you liking this Promo?

A stronger top 3 at CB - yes I'm viewing Gaines as an upgrade over Darby, who was consistently a liability

A WR who will consistently be on the field and will likely give us stats similar to what Sammy gave us in 2014 (This is pretty much a guarantee as opposed to the IF Sammy stays healthy he's gonna go for 1700 yards and 12 TDs)

Most importantly, we now have the picks needed to start legitimately building through the draft. This is how all good teams do it in this league, and 2018 will be the start of that for us.

Gaines was one of the worst CBs in the league last year.

So the plan is to tank, according to some, and draft a QB with the picks?

Who the hell is said QB going to throw the ball to? Matthews has a year left on his deal and Boldin is a one year deal.

So bring in a young QB and set him up to fail. Brilliant.

Sammy had 1 year left on his deal too and has said he is looking to change the pay structure of the NFL with his next deal (aka break the bank). Matthews is making like what $1.5M this year?

Seems like a much better chance at re-signing Matthews than Sammy, unless you want to give Sammy $15- $17M or whatever the franchise tag is, for potentially 1 good healthy year out of 4 years in the league...

If they are in "tank" mode I am done with them. I have been a Bills fan for a lonnnnnggggg time but if they tank it that is it! I hope they have more integrity than that. I really don't think they would do that but you never know. Sammy was a great receiver but was injury prone. Darby, well I don't know about why they traded him.

You said that, not me.

I do think that Matthews strikes me as more of a professional than Watkins.

I do know that Matthews is more often available, that he puts up similar stats, and that he is just as good if not better of a fit for our offense.

Joke

Sammy had 1 year left on his deal too and has said he is looking to change the pay structure of the NFL with his next deal (aka break the bank). Matthews is making like what $1.5M this year?

Seems like a much better chance at re-signing Matthews than Sammy, unless you want to give Sammy $15- $17M or whatever the franchise tag is, for potentially 1 good healthy year out of 4 years in the league...

And?

What is the problem with paying good/great players? There is no reason they can't pay Sammy, especially if the plan is to draft a QB. That's 5 years of not paying the top position in the league.

I'm sorry I just don't follow.

I actually thought Sammy was going to get hurt last night. In fact I think Sammy is going to get hurt every single play so I'm glad he got traded. Less stress for me watching the games.

I feel the same way about TT too. It's a terrible way to watch a football game.

Edited by Bills Pimpin'

Sure, defend them. I am not going to fight you my friend.

I am going to defend the organization. The team as was construction was not going anywhere this year or in the immediate future. So they are trading some parts for lesser talents and picks. The picks are the real currency in these transactions. Instead of taking the futile Whaley patchwork approach the organization is going into a major rebuild mode. As the season approaches and advances there will be more deals with added picks. That is the right approach to take.

The Bills have been a middling team for more than a generation. What's the point of continuing on and doing the same things that have kept this franchise stuck in the muck of mediocrity. The reality is even with these deals the product wouldn't be much different than without making the deals. It's better to have a plan in place and follow it rather than forever muddling along.

I told everyone that since they hated on Cardale they were going after Wiley's pick just because. Look what happened in Philly with the Oregon coach. Not everyone can be a Jimmy Johnson with the Dallas Cowboys and even he kept the Ken Norton Jrs and the Jay Novachecs. But theses guys are really trying to imitate.

I am going to defend the organization. The team as was construction was not going anywhere this year or in the immediate future. So they are trading some parts for lesser talents and picks. The picks are the real currency in these transactions. Instead of taking the futile Whaley patchwork approach the organization is going into a major rebuild mode. As the season approaches and advances there will be more deals with added picks. That is the right approach to take.

The Bills have been a middling team for more than a generation. What's the point of continuing on and doing the same things that have kept this franchise stuck in the muck of mediocrity. The reality is even with these deals the product wouldn't be much different than without making the deals. It's better to have a plan in place and follow it rather than forever muddling along.

If they have two consecutive 4-5 win seasons, this new regime will be out. Bank on it. You are aware of that, right?

What have we added so far, a 1,2 3, 7th rnd picks, Sammy was going to be too much $ anyway if he remained healthy. I like the move.

Poor Tyrod Taylor, this is going to really hurt his big payday without his go to WR. I think that is another signal the Bills are ready to tank this year and load up with a real POTENTIAL franchise QB.

Purge the Whaley/Rex era. The new regime is going to own this legacy 100%, we will see what happens 2-3 years from now. I lie the gamble, maybe Brady will have retired finally by then.

Dolphins going other direction, all in this year. Jets and Bills, we will see in a few years which has a better FO/coaching.

Darby, despite his drop in level of play, was a better player than Gaines last year.

As to Matthews putting up similar numbers, well, the only year in which he met (or exceeded) Sammy's numbers was last year, and it took him 6 additional games to do so (in an offense that passed far, far more than Buffalo's).

I'm sorry, but that's not close to an upgrade in either way.

The only improvement is in draft capitol, which still requires the front office to get the right guys.

And?

What is the problem with paying good/great players? There is no reason they can't pay Sammy, especially if the plan is to draft a QB. That's 5 years of not paying the top position in the league.

Sure, they CAN or COULD sign him, but he's not shown value of a true #1...

And?

You were complaining about getting a WR with only 1 year left on his deal so who would they throw to next year. I simply pointed out that Sammy only has 1 year left on his deal too and likely wants like at least 4x more than what Matthews will want.

They can potentially replace him with Matthews beyond next year plus whoever they draft in the 2nd, and still have it cost them less than 1/3 of the cap space Sammy will take up.

We don't yet have a QB who can consistently get Sammy the ball, either. And Sammy has yet to prove anything in the NFL. He has the potential, but I can see why the Bills wouldn't want to shell out $17M for a WR who had 1 good healthy year (assuming that he does have that type of year this year).

This...SO much. Baseball teams do it all the time. NFL teams rarely admit to a rebuild because it is such a "win now" business. What these trades do is give us a much better chance of being better in the future. Although, that said, I do not think this year's results will be dramatically different than they would have been with Sammy and Darby. I saw 8 to 11 wins before, and I still see 8 to 11 wins.

This...SO much. Baseball teams do it all the time. NFL teams rarely admit to a rebuild because it is such a "win now" business. What these trades do is give us a much better chance of being better in the future. Although, that said, I do not think this year's results will be dramatically different than they would have been with Sammy and Darby. I saw 8 to 11 wins before, and I still see 8 to 11 wins.

I respect your view although I disagree with it, but this team is not going to win 8 games. They don't have the talent, and their schedule is brutal.

What have we added so far, a 1,2 3, 7th rnd picks, Sammy was going to be too much $ anyway if he remained healthy. I like the move.

Poor Tyrod Taylor, this is going to really hurt his big payday without his go to WR. I think that is another signal the Bills are ready to tank this year and load up with a real POTENTIAL franchise QB.

Purge the Whaley/Rex era. The new regime is going to own this legacy 100%, we will see what happens 2-3 years from now. I lie the gamble, maybe Brady will have retired finally by then.

Dolphins going other direction, all in this year. Jets and Bills, we will see in a few years which has a better FO/coaching.

Pegula will fire them

If anyone on this board thinks the production difference between J Matthews and S Watkins is going to be the difference between making the playoffs and not then I think they are crazy. The difference between making the playoffs and not is going to be the picks we got to get our franchise QB and Tyrod Taylor.