Rod Streater - the real deal?

For those who have watched camp in person, are you sold (at this point) that Streater is a lock to make the roster? Listening to Sal today, he said he sees no way he isn't at least WR4 if not WR3 going into the season. Considering this was after Boldin arrived... I was pretty surprised to hear that. I know that he's looked really solid in camp but really looking forward to seeing him Thurs. night. Wonder if he will be this year's Andre Davis/Deonte Thompson camp hero or if he's the real deal.

He has some talent but it's always different when the games, especially the real games, start. Who was the stud wr last preseason? He looked great in the preseason and didn't do a thing in the regular season.

I don't remember anyone looking great last year - Jarrett Boykin maybe? Edit: No he didn't even make the 53. Edited by YoloinOhio

I think Powell?

Think so too. He didn't light it up but was put in a bad spot having to step into a top 3 role at times last season. I guess ideally you'd want them to succeed when given the chance but I didn't think he was awful.

Edited by Big C

He has some talent but it's always different when the games, especially the real games, start. Who was the stud wr last preseason? He looked great in the preseason and didn't do a thing in the regular season.

Dez?

Think so too. He didn't light it up but was put in a bad spot having to step into a top 3 role at times last season. I guess ideally you'd want them to succeed when given the chance but I didn't think he was awful.

Doesn't he have time to do on a suspension?... OC might go with the hot hand he has in Streater.... I like Powell, but a suspension could spell doom in a field this crowded.

Edited by #34fan

Sure, why not, despite this entire forum anointing Holmes as our WR #2 or WR#3 back in March. lol, I always thought there was going to be an open competition at the position to both make the team and where they end up on the depth chart

Now I am not convinced Holmes or Brown even make the team, we will see what transpires in the first 3 exhibition games, who gets injured, who does not, and other variables

jc

Don't rule out cutting all of them and signing a veteran speed guy that is a final cut, as well as keeping, say, Tate as a #5 plus KR and PR. Taiwan Jones may stay as a KR and #4 RB but he doesn't return punts. If we were to add a veteran speed guy to Sammy, Boldin, and Zay, that would be a nice little foursome. Neither Holmes nor Streater do much for me. If I had to, I think I keep Holmes.

Sure, why not, despite this entire forum anointing Holmes as our WR #2 or WR#3 back in March. lol, I always thought there was going to be an open competition at the position to both make the team and where they end up on the depth chart

Now I am not convinced Holmes or Brown even make the team, we will see what transpires in the first 3 exhibition games, who gets injured, who does not, and other variables

jc

This "entire forum". Yea. Of course they were. There was nobody here doubting Holmes' hands? Or his relatively modest production with the Raiders? Everyone was anointing him. I think you must have been reading a different forum.

What Streater has shown is that it appears the Bills do have depth at the WR position -- a huge question mark coming into TC. Watkins/Boldin/Jones are your top 3, but now Streater (and to some extent, Holmes) can also come in and you've got a guy like Powell (after the first four weeks) who has shown some flashes in real games as well.

Looks like Philly Brown is the guy on the chopping block now, and they'll probably put Shorts on the PS.

Don't rule out cutting all of them and signing a veteran speed guy that is a final cut, as well as keeping, say, Tate as a #5 plus KR and PR. Taiwan Jones may stay as a KR and #4 RB but he doesn't return punts. If we were to add a veteran speed guy to Sammy, Boldin, and Zay, that would be a nice little foursome. Neither Holmes nor Streater do much for me. If I had to, I think I keep Holmes.

Have you been watching them at camp? The reason I ask is that the media has been consistently raving about Streater (and opposite on Holmes). i know the preseason games will be a big indicator. Some of Streater's catches that have been posted on Twitter are really impressive. Edited by YoloinOhio

I read an interview where Streater said he had the same problem Sammy had but on both his feet. He had two good years with the Raiders with the stats and playing time on the upswing, then came the injuries.

He's obviously healthy now, so it's probably the natural thing that he makes the team, because he's a good, consistent player. Having Holmes as athe fifth WR with Tate as the special team player can't be considered a bad thing for this team.

I haven't been to camp, but even if reports are good I would be shocked, shocked, if he is WR3. I don't think you make a move on Boldin without putting him into the high end of the starting rotation. Sammy is very obviously our #1 and from all reports I've heard, Zay looks like he's going to be ready.

I haven't been to camp, but even if reports are good I would be shocked, shocked, if he is WR3. I don't think you make a move on Boldin without putting him into the high end of the starting rotation. Sammy is very obviously our #1 and from all reports I've heard, Zay looks like he's going to be ready.

yes I was shocked when Sal said that. I assume that what he meant was that depending on how the preseason games go, it wasn't entirely out of the realm of possibility that he could move ahead of Zay? Edited by YoloinOhio

yes I was shocked when Sal said that. I assume that what he meant was that depending on how the preseason games go, it wasn't entirely out of the realm of possibility that he could move ahead of Zay?

I'm not going to say that it's impossible, but from everything I've heard Zay has been playing like his hair is one fire in camp. They also published the depth chart which had Holmes at WR2.

I would have to go through the AstroNotes, which I vaguely recall hearing good things on Streater, but I would have to think that he's fighting to take WR4 or 5 at the moment.

I don't think Streater is a lock to make the team just yet because of the numbers game and the fact that B. Tate will likely be needed to be the primary KOR and PR.

I think the Bills will take SIX WRS.

Watkins, Boldin, and Z. Jones are locks. Tate will likely be the KOR/PR. That leaves two WR spots open with Holmes, Streater, and C. Brown the primary candidates for those last two spots.

Holmes and Streater are the favorites at this point. I think both can really help the team.

Brown could show something in the preseason games either as a WR or as a PR that could force Tate or Streater off of the roster.

I am going to pay close attention to him in the game tomorrow.

​Excited to see how he looks.

Donald Jones said something interesting on the John Murphy show. He said that some players are great practice players but dont do so well in games.

I dont think he was talking about Streater but it was something that stuck in my mind

CBF

I am going to pay close attention to him in the game tomorrow.

​Excited to see how he looks.

Donald Jones said something interesting on the John Murphy show. He said that some players are great practice players but dont do so well in games.

I dont think he was talking about Streater but it was something that stuck in my mind

CBF

That's absolutely true. Particularly at WR, you know you're not going to get pasted coming across the middle in practice. You find out when the action is live who the guys are you'll be able to trust.

What does that have to do with- "has done nothing in this league?"

127 catches over 5 years. 60 of them coming 3 years ago during one season. A season where Denarius Moore and Mychel Rivera were the only other "weapons" catching passes from Terrelle Pryor and Matt McGloin...

It's not literally nothing, but it's fairly close.

Edited by Jay_Fixit

127 catches over 5 years. 60 of them coming 3 years ago during one season. A season where Denarius Moore and Mychel Rivera were the only other "weapons" catching passes from Terrelle Pryor and Matt McGloin...

It's not literally nothing, but it's fairly close.

Naming the quarterbacks actually hurts your case. So yes, he was able to produce as part of a hilariously under talented offense a few years ago and then was hit by the injury bug. As noted elsewhere it seems that he also suffered a Jones fracture in his foot (same injury as Watkins). It's not unreasonable to think he could still produce if he is healthy now.

Naming the quarterbacks actually hurts your case. So yes, he was able to produce as part of a hilariously under talented offense a few years ago and then was hit by the injury bug. As noted elsewhere it seems that he also suffered a Jones fracture in his foot (same injury as Watkins). It's not unreasonable to think he could still produce if he is healthy now.

I don't need a case. I provided the numbers. 127 catches over 5 years, almost half coming in one season with a horrible team that had no weapons. If that's basis for asking a guy if he watches football, then the guy asking needs to look in the mirror.

Simple stuff.

I don't need a case. I provided the numbers. 127 catches over 5 years, almost half coming in one season with a horrible team that had no weapons. If that's basis for asking a guy if he watches football, then the guy asking needs to look in the mirror.

Simple stuff.

The point is that he had one solid season in the league. 60 catches for 800+ yards is a solid season. It is not nothing.

Simple stuff.

And my question was more based on said posters body of work, not just this one topic.

It's definitely exciting to see what Streater has done in practice thus far. But he knows that he has to prove himself in the preseason games to make the final roster.

McD said so himself recently that the evaluation is not complete until the pads go on and they get to see the players in game situations.

Streater is 6'-3" 200 lbs. Having that kind of size can really help this team, esp. as a #4 or #5 WR.

Simple stuff.

I'm not following your logic though. He caught a lot of passes on an offense with no weapons, as you say. Wouldn't that be MORE difficult, considering the lack of threats around him?

You're also kind of selectively twisting numbers. You say 5 years. But he has only played 52 games in 5 years due to the foot injuries. Only 3 games in 2014 and 1 in 2015.

Edited by JM57