Bills' OC: Tyrod Taylor 'can't wait for a route to open up

Meathead

The OC's biggest takeaway so far? Taylor needs to work on anticipating where the receiver is supposed to be open and delivering to that spot rather than waiting for him to gain separation.

"He understands what we want done," Dennison said Monday, before the Bills' 10th practice of training camp at St. John Fisher College. "It's just keeping him on the same page, listening to his feet, getting the ball out on time. That's the biggest thing for (us) working on it.

"He's bought into it. He knows what he needs to do, he knows that the ball will get out. He knows where everybody is, that's the biggest thing for me. Distribution and (when) his feet tell him to move on, he's got to move on. He can't wait for a route to open up.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/08/07/bills-oc-tyrod-taylor-cant-wait-route-open/

rut roh

this cant be the first time tyrod has heard this. like i would expect hes heard it for the last decade at least. once he got to the pros the only reason they wouldnt say it is bc they got tired of repeating it all the time

ive always just assumed that he was weak at that and would have to be productive in other ways cough running cough, not turning the ball over, etc. of course that means he would always be a middling qb in the nfl, but middling can make a living and middling is better than suck. once in a while middling even breaks through and becomes a stud ala rich gannon, but its kinda rare

dennison hammering on it so bluntly now means sink or swim son. sink or swim. they are telling tyrod now or never, and if its never you aint gonna be here for long

its a bit stunning in its public frankness, tbh. you dont often see that direct of pressure aired in the media for a standing starting qb so its pretty obvious dennisions clicker has run out of notches on this issue with tyrod. ty knows what denny wants. the whole world knows what denny wants. do it or dun dun duuuun

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 kid, he IS what he is and its not a franchise QB. The scouting report on him before the draft said he should switch to WR / PR/ KR. People hope a guy who has serious knocks on him and a 6th round pick is going to be our franchise guy. He isn't.

Beane and McD will get their QB next year

But the COT told me i was wrong all last year when i said the same thing

No one here EVER said he was any good at anticipatory throws. You just sharted on him so often that people told you to shut up. Your crusade was ridiculous last fall.

No one here EVER said he was any good at anticipatory throws. You just sharted on him so often that people told you to shut up. Your crusade was ridiculous last fall.

Get ready for me to point out his flaws again this year. And if that is called a crusade so be it.

But hey he had a meaningless TC drive and TD and acted like he won the SB so thats good i guess

Edited by MAJBobby

This shouldn't be news to anyone, he is what he is. He is not good enough to carry this team with his arm, I'm blown away that Bolden wanted to play for a team that will not pass the football. They may say they are going to throw the football more but I can't see Taylor improving the offense by passing more.

But the COT told me i was wrong all last year when i said the same thing

Sure they did Bobby. I see we're still using the immature "cult of Tyrod" BS too.

I think just about everyone who is hopeful for Tyrod knows this is his biggest weakness - even Cian Fahey has said there are times where he doesn't throw the ball when he should.

Of course you're doing the thing you accuse the "cult" of doing which is claiming Tyrod NEVER throws with anticiption, or that this quote is Dennison saying he can never do it.

Meanwhile Tyrod has been looking good in practice lately, haven't seen you commenting on that of course.

FWIW, that article leaves out Dennison's quote on how he believe that the anticipatory throws can be learned:

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/08/buffalo_bills_oc_rick_dennison_wants_qb_tyrod_taylor_to_throw_with_anticipation.html

The question is whether throwing with anticipation is a skill a quarterback can develop or if it's something that comes naturally.
"I think anything can be developed," Dennison said. "I really do. I think if you work with a kid, no matter what position you can develop good habits and you can develop what you want as long as you work with him."

I believe there's a couple other versions of this quote more in context as well.

Don't know if Dennison CAN teach this, but perhaps all is not Doomed? :beer:

Sure they did Bobby. I see we're still using the immature "cult of Tyrod" BS too.

I think just about everyone who is hopeful for Tyrod knows this is his biggest weakness - even Cian Fahey has said there are times where he doesn't throw the ball when he should.

Of course you're doing the thing you accuse the "cult" of doing which is claiming Tyrod NEVER throws with anticiption, or that this quote is Dennison saying he can never do it.

Meanwhile Tyrod has been looking good in practice lately, haven't seen you commenting on that of course.

First it is the Church of Tyrod. Second sorry that Fahey (the biggest TT apologists on the Twittersphere apologized for TT.

And no he has had a blah camp and guess what looked good last year too then the season happened.

And the reason i hvent posted much is I really am not invested in this season. Nothing there inspiring me to think the Bills do anything like make the playoffs. 17 years emotionally invested on a bad product is enough for me.

Edited by MAJBobby

Get ready for me to point out his flaws again this year. And if that is called a crusade so be it.

But hey he had a meaningless TC drive and TD and acted like he won the SB so thats good i guess

If you kept it into QB threads, it would have been fine, but the thread could be discussing the depth at safety and you'd and you'd bring up Tyrod. It was insane the amount of anti-TT posts you had.

If you kept it into QB threads, it would have been fine, but the thread could be discussing the depth at safety and you'd and you'd bring up Tyrod. It was insane the amount of anti-TT posts you had.

Wrong never added anything about TT in any thread that didnt need it. But cant talk WRs and TE without talking QB.

Cant talk defense being on the field so mich wothout talking QB and 3 and outs.

Wrong never added anything about TT in any thread that didnt need it. But cant talk WRs and TE without talking QB.

Sweet Jesus, Bobby, get a grip.

We will have to wait and see, but it does not bode well. Three OC and all have asked for more anticipatory throws.

I know Denison thinks it can be taught, but we are talking about 6 full years as a pro and 2 full years as a starter with OC and head coaches harping on that.

As I said in the other TT thread - you can see this at camp - he has been inconsistent, but when he is completing a lot of passes - they seem to be wide to wide open WRs. You can see him looking more, but the progression seems to be toward the outside as much as anything.

We will have to see.

We will have to wait and see, but it does not bode well. Three OC and all have asked for more anticipatory throws.

I know Denison thinks it can be taught, but we are talking about 6 full years as a pro and 2 full years as a starter with OC and head coaches harping on that.

As I said in the other TT thread - you can see this at camp - he has been inconsistent, but when he is completing a lot of passes - they seem to be wide to wide open WRs. You can see him looking more, but the progression seems to be toward the outside as much as anything.

We will have to see.

I have alot of respect for Taylor, and I think it's great that he's working as hard as he can to get better.

With that said, I disagree with Dennison that it can be learned. Maybe if you were never asked to do it, but not something you have worked on and have never done well with. This is one of those you either have it or you don't things IMO, and TT just doesn't have these passing traits required to take his game to the next level.

the successful QB's HOF type guys do this well. The ones that don't might start for a few years and then end up being a bench warmer. Tyrod struggles with anticipation. his saving grace has been his legs. They get him out of trouble.

Good point. At the same time, you can't talk about our QBs win/loss record without talking about the defense giving up far more points than our above average offense scored.

We all know what Taylor needs to work on and improve. I doubt there's any drastic improvements anywhere, but I'll wait and see how he performs in an offense that better suits him. I agree with others; he is what he is, but he could be an improved/better version.

FWIW, that article leaves out Dennison's quote on how he believe that the anticipatory throws can be learned:

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/08/buffalo_bills_oc_rick_dennison_wants_qb_tyrod_taylor_to_throw_with_anticipation.html

I believe there's a couple other versions of this quote more in context as well.

Don't know if Dennison CAN teach this, but perhaps all is not Doomed? :beer:

Throwing with anticipation is not rocket science. It's probably 90% confidence or lack thereof. Fear of int's is a direct result of a lack of confidence. The old adage that "practice makes perfect" is true because to a large extent lots of reps tend to give a QB that elusive confidence. Any QB at the NFL level has the ability to throw a WR open. The will to do it when he is tightly covered is another issue. We shall see with Tyrod.

Not sure why this is alarming or groundbreaking in any way.

At this point, I think everyone knows what Taylor brings to the table and what we are hoping he improves upon.

The Bills have also made it very clear to everyone what they think of Taylor, based on their refusal to give him a true long-term contract.

Do it in every thread. Repeat as often as possible.

Good point. At the same time, you can't talk about our QBs win/loss record without talking about the defense giving up far more points than our above average offense scored.

We all know what Taylor needs to work on and improve. I doubt there's any drastic improvements anywhere, but I'll wait and see how he performs in an offense that better suits him. I agree with others; he is what he is, but he could be an improved/better version.

He just played the last 2 years in an offense that was best suited for him. This new offense isn't suited for him at all.