Share some music thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

On 9/26/2020 at 11:39 AM, The Poojer said:

Great performance by Future Islands a few years back on Letterman.  Samuel Herring is a fantastic front man, and i love letterman's reaction at the end...still one of my favorites

Was just coming to post this one I heard from him today on Sirius - Spectrum....

• Like (+1) 1

I am posting this not because it is the greatest song ever, but because it stood the test of time.

Decades ago this band (IF) was compared to Steve Winwood and called the "English version of Chicago." I doubt many of you have heard this, but pleae chime in if you have. It's a suite which contains rock, horns, jazz, and great vocals. 

I do hope you enjoy, here comes "Sunday Sad." 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=if2+sundy+sad&pc=EUPP_UF01&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&msnews=1&rec_search=1&refig=e6a19688c08a4f73ab11389672691734&sp=-1&pq=if2+sundy+sad&sc=1-13&qs=n&sk=&cvid=e6a19688c08a4f73ab11389672691734&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3dif2%2bsundy%2bsad%26form%3dPRHPC1%26pc%3dEUPP_UF01%26mkt%3den-us%26httpsmsn%3d1%26msnews%3d1%26rec_search%3d1%26refig%3de6a19688c08a4f73ab11389672691734%26sp%3d-1%26pq%3dif2%2bsundy%2bsad%26sc%3d1-13%26qs%3dn%26sk%3d%26cvid%3de6a19688c08a4f73ab11389672691734&view=detail&mmscn=vwrc&mid=40A97F35333CC6851D9240A97F35333CC6851D92&FORM=WRVORC

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 10/2/2020 at 3:07 PM, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

The new Deftones album, Ohms, kicks some serious tail

Listening to it right now, just stumbled upon your post!  I think it's White Pony Level, although Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan I rate about White Pony.  But I'm in the minority there.  But it's fantastic, and way better than Gore, imo.  It's one of those that's growing on me.  I love "The Spell of Mathematics" especially, when the "clapping" breakdown hits, is ***** PERFECTION.

Edited by {::'KayCeeS::}
  • Like (+1) 1

Just remember seeing them at... Burger King. Of all places. They walked over from the Show Place, to BK at Amherst and Grant. Was not able to convince them that Mighty Taco, just a few hundred feet away, was the better option. But did mention that the Burger King metal commercials of the time featured the "band" called "Coq Roq." And Mike did actually mention that at the show. Good times.

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Like (+1) 2

On 10/7/2020 at 7:13 PM, Bill from NYC said:

I am posting this not because it is the greatest song ever, but because it stood the test of time.

Decades ago this band (IF) was compared to Steve Winwood and called the "English version of Chicago." I doubt many of you have heard this, but pleae chime in if you have. It's a suite which contains rock, horns, jazz, and great vocals. 

I do hope you enjoy, he comes "Sunday Sad." 

Drummer Dennis Elliott ended up in this band along with King Crimson's Ian MacDonald:

25 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Just remember seeing them at... Burger King. Of all places. They walked over from the Show Place, to BK at Amherst and Grant. Was not able to convince them that Mighty Taco, just a few hundred feet away, was the better option. But did mention that the Burger King metal commercials of the time featured the "band" called "Coq Roq." And Mike did actually mention that at the show. Good times.

I'm not a big fan of the growling, Cookie Monster vocals but sometimes I like the backing music enough to tolerate it.

Opeth is the only band I've heard where the Cookie Monster vocals augment the song. Drapery Falls is a great example. Funny thing is Akerfeldt has a great voice.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Opeth is the only band I've heard where the Cookie Monster vocals augment the song. Drapery Falls is a great example. Funny thing is Akerfeldt has a great voice.

He's been clean-only for like 3 albums. Old fart.

Edited by Ralonzo

8 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

He's been clean-only for like 3 albums. Old fart.

A few years ago I was driving north to go skiing with two close friends and put the following on, knowing one would say it was Iron Maiden and the other would say it was Opeth. Of course they were both correct.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

A few years ago I was driving north to go skiing with two close friends and put the following on, knowing one would say it was Iron Maiden and the other would say it was Opeth. Of course they were both correct.

But tbh, say what you will of cookie cookie cookie (<-- Edited because Bob Odenkirk rules), but they lost the spark that set them apart. There's any number of madrigal obscure 60's and 70's prog/psych that, while Mike loves it (as do I), it's a deep cut for a reason. There's a few examples of such bands that should have hit harder but didn't. i love 'em and post 'em here. For example:

Or that Marmalade from a couple weeks back. But it's unfortunate that Mike aspires to the obscure rather than the Blackwater Park/Deliverance stuff that changed... everything.

He's even left his side projects...

Edited by Ralonzo

Just now, Ralonzo said:

But tbh, say what you will of cookie cookie cookie, but they lost the spark that set them apart. There's any number of madrigal obscure 60's and 70's prog/psych that, while Mike loves it (as do I), it's a deep cut for a reason. There's a few examples of such bands that should have hit harder but didn't. i love 'em and post 'em here. For example:

But it's unfortunate that Mike aspires to the obscure rather than the Blackwater Park/Deliverance stuff that changed... everything.

Akerfeldt (and Steven Wilson) put out some great music but then they went in different directions. All the best to them, if they stayed with what didn't interest them anymore the music probably would have suffered. Just not for me.

Back to Opeth. Another night my bud - who was on the Iron Maiden side of the  Remember Tomorrow story and tbh kind of stuck in the 80's - and I were going back and forth about what we were listening to that was heavy. I pretty much shut him up with Ghosts Of Perdition. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Akerfeldt (and Steven Wilson) put out some great music but then they went in different directions. All the best to them, if they stayed with what didn't interest them anymore the music probably would have suffered. Just not for me.

Back to Opeth. Another night my bud - who was on the Iron Maiden side of the  Remember Tomorrow story and tbh kind of stuck in the 80's - and I were going back and forth about what we were listening to that was heavy. I pretty much shut him up with Ghosts Of Perdition. 

Now, to me, what's going on that we're listening to that is heavy ends with Still Life. There's 4 or 5 songs that to me are the best delicate brutal tracks that have ever been laid down. It's a golblarn masterpiece.

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Now, to me, what's going on that we're listening to that is heavy ends with Still Life. There's 4 or 5 songs that to me are the best delicate brutal tracks that have ever been laid down. It's a golblarn masterpiece.

Don't think I ever heard that one. I'll have to check it out. BTW that Bubble Puppy band sounded pretty good.

Shout out to @Joe in Winslow for starting this thread. Very cool that music from very different genres is being posted without the customary 'that sucks' responses. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Don't think I ever heard that one. I'll have to check it out. BTW that Bubble Puppy band sounded pretty good.

Shout out to @Joe in Winslow for starting this thread. Very cool that music from very different genres is being posted without the customary 'that sucks' responses. 

You're good, I'd totally wanna ski with you bud.

If you;re listening to still life, you're climbing onto Moonlapse Vertigo about now. Whatcha think?

Well now it's Face Of Melinda, imo one of the most incredulous beautiful songs of metal :)

And if not here;s a track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0azsKCi3DmM

Still would track some glades.

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I like a wide variety of music figure others might too.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Cool story. Drapery Falls is my favorite Opeth song.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/12/2018 at 5:50 PM, Foxx said:

There are many EPIC covers (and some interesting originals) in this 85+ page post. This Disturbed cover now in the top 10 of all time for me. The Conan version is perfect!

I am not good at posting, but Heart's cover of "Stairway to Heaven" is also fantastic (i did not see it in the 85 pages). But I can't upload that.

Edited by qwksilver
typo

9 hours ago, qwksilver said:

There are many EPIC covers (and some interesting originals) in this 85+ page post. This Disturbed cover now in the top 10 of all time for me. The Conan version is perfect!

I am not good at posting, but Heart's cover of "Stairway to Heaven" is also fantastic (i did not see it in the 85 pages). But I can't upload that.

this one?

• Thank you (+1) 1