Marrone said ideally Bortles throws Zero passes in a game...

Jaguars' Blake Bortles tosses 5 interceptions in rough practice

Michael DiRocco ESPN Staff Writer July 30, 2017

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles turned in one of the worst practices of his career Saturday night by throwing five interceptions, including two to a player who last played in an NFL game in 2015.

Bortles threw two interceptions in 7-on-7 drills and three others in 11-on-11, one of which linebacker Telvin Smith returned for a touchdown. Cornerback Tyler Patmon, who spent time with the Tennessee Titans, Kansas City Chiefs and Carolina Panthers last season after playing in two games with Miami in 2015, intercepted Bortles twice in 11-on-11. Linebacker Josh McNary (7-on-7) and safety Tashaun Gipson (11-on-11) also had interceptions.

Coach Doug Marrone was clearly disappointed after the two-and-a-half-hour practice, the team's first in pads.

"I think any time someone doesn't perform to what you want to do, you're concerned about it," Marrone said. "He's not the only one that's out there. There's some good things.

"We're going to look at it. We're going to look at those plays. If there's any struggle or things we don't like, then obviously we're going to be smart enough to throw that crap out."

Marrone said he didn't try to encourage Bortles on the field or after the practice because, "If I've got to do that now, then we're going to be in trouble."

Because, you know, why would a coach try to encourage his players? Saints always dole out tough love...

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blake Bortles has thrown 80 touchdown passes to a combined 9 NFL teams.

Blake Bortles has never thrown more than five interceptions at practice.

Super Bowl losses 1f3c8.png John Elway: 3 Tom Brady: 2 Peyton Manning: 2 Brett Favre: 1 Ben Roethlisberger: 1 Blake Bortles: 0

Edited by CNY315

Jaguars' Blake Bortles tosses 5 interceptions in rough practice

Michael DiRocco ESPN Staff Writer July 30, 2017

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles turned in one of the worst practices of his career Saturday night by throwing five interceptions, including two to a player who last played in an NFL game in 2015.

Bortles threw two interceptions in 7-on-7 drills and three others in 11-on-11, one of which linebacker Telvin Smith returned for a touchdown. Cornerback Tyler Patmon, who spent time with the Tennessee Titans, Kansas City Chiefs and Carolina Panthers last season after playing in two games with Miami in 2015, intercepted Bortles twice in 11-on-11. Linebacker Josh McNary (7-on-7) and safety Tashaun Gipson (11-on-11) also had interceptions.

Coach Doug Marrone was clearly disappointed after the two-and-a-half-hour practice, the team's first in pads.

"I think any time someone doesn't perform to what you want to do, you're concerned about it," Marrone said. "He's not the only one that's out there. There's some good things.

"We're going to look at it. We're going to look at those plays. If there's any struggle or things we don't like, then obviously we're going to be smart enough to throw that crap out."

Marrone said he didn't try to encourage Bortles on the field or after the practice because, "If I've got to do that now, then we're going to be in trouble."

Kyle Orton just picked up his phone and saw 57 unread texts from Doug Marrone.

No lead is safe in the NFL if you try your hardest to piss the game away when it's clearly already won as the Atlanta Falcons did.

That had a lot more to do with the Falcons giving the game away then the "way the passing rules are".

In fact if the Falcons did what Marrone just said he wants to do for the last 5 minutes of the game they'd be Super Bowl Champs.

Agree on this Falcons; they lost the game because they did not adjust well after halftime.

Run, run, run is better than Run, run, pass, punt if you can generate the downs.

Dougs response says it all. Nothing kind or thoughtful.

just " next" kinda phrase.

pure weenie. I am sure the team will rally around him like the Bills did

@DanGrazianoESPN

"It's going to be interesting." -Tom Coughlin on having a team but not coaching it:

https://t.co/ldkb6ANddv

@BuckyBrooks

Bucky Brooks Retweeted Dan Graziano

The more I dig into this piece, the more I'm convinced Coughlin still sees himself as a coach. That could make it hard on DM to lead as HC

@DanGrazianoESPN

"It's going to be interesting." -Tom Coughlin on having a team but not coaching it:

https://t.co/ldkb6ANddv

@BuckyBrooks

Bucky Brooks Retweeted Dan Graziano

The more I dig into this piece, the more I'm convinced Coughlin still sees himself as a coach. That could make it hard on DM to lead as HC

giphy.gif

Edited by eball

Great hire Jaguars....he wants to run the ball every play...let's see how well that works in years two and three after he's had a chance to ruin the offensive line...

"Last month, when head coach Doug Marrone was asked how many times quarterback Blake Bortles would ideally throw in a game, he said 'Zero.'

That was not really a joke. 'For me, I want to run the ball every play, Marrone told reporters. I want to go back to the old way. I want to change the game.'"

John Fox already tried this with Tebow and McGahee...he did get a Playoff win, but that was a fluke lol

• 2 weeks later...

Found this on NFL twitter account. It's every run from Leonard Fournette from tonight's game.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NFL/status/895857605960024064/video/1

Ah, that brings back memories... Run up the middle. Every. Single. Time. lol

I started laughing when I watched this. Brought back flashbacks of the Doug Marrone/Nate Hackett run up the middle, run up the middle, pass offense that became so predictable that the TV announcers started calling the next play.

Blake Bortles Still Offers the Promise of Hope but the Reality of a Bust

"He is a really good guy," the scout added. "I've met him and talked to him. I know he tries. He's not lazy. He's just overwhelmed.

You can see it on film. He gets confused pretty easily by (defensive) looks that aren't all that complicated. That's why his mechanics are a problem.

He gets panicked by defenses and the rush and falls back on bad habits."

Saw this one yesterday...

https://twitter.com/BortlesFacts/status/891665379323510784

Blake Bortles Facts‏ @BortlesFacts

Blake Bortles has thrown 80 touchdown passes to a combined 9 NFL teams.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i like this one too

@bortlesfacts

Blake Bortles and Tom Brady have combined for 5 Super Bowl Titles, 4 Super Bowl MVP Awards, 12 Pro Bowls, and 2 NFL MVP Awards.

As someone that's watched quite a bit of Blake Bortles, I am wholly behind this idea.

Hell, just run the wildcat.

:thumbsup: My first thought when I read the OP was "Marrone knows what he's got in Bortles". Obviously, numerous posters in this thread only consider that Bortles was the first QB taken in the 2014 draft ...

Marrone.....What a Maroon!

@billbarnwell

Doug Marrone started Jags camp with five full-pad practices, emphasis on toughness. Now Marquise Lee carted off, Leonard Fournette injured.

You just know Marrone hates this guy :lol:

@profootballtalk

Doug Marrone says Blake Bortles has a tired arm

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/15/doug-marrone-says-blake-bortles-has-a-tired-arm/

good stuff here. Nothing like lol'ing @ Doug moron to get the day started

Marrone is just the guy to lead this WR mutiny! He has direct experience.

@allbrightnfl

There were rumors a week ago that the #Jaguars receiving corps was unhappy with Bortles and secretly lobbying for Henne.

Obviously.

Marrone is just the guy to lead this WR mutiny! He has direct experience.

@allbrightnfl

There were rumors a week ago that the #Jaguars receiving corps was unhappy with Bortles and secretly lobbying for Henne.

I didn't know Chad Henne was still around the NFL. Edited by vincec