Hernandez victims families suing the Patriots

He was found not guilty and is apparently not guilty of all the crimes according to mass law. So I'd say no Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, his convictions were vacated, meaning he maintains his innocence by a priori legal assumption. That is not even remotely the same thing as "found not guilty."

No, his convictions were vacated, meaning he maintains his innocence by a priori legal assumption. That is not even remotely the same thing as "found not guilty."

I think that is an important distinction because his estate probably has a fairly strong claim to the guaranteed portion of his money. If his estate were to win and then file chapter 11 would the victim's families be SOL? This feels like they are almost putting a lein on that guaranteed portion in the event that it is owed.

Pretty interesting legal stuff happening here. He was found guilty but only vacated because of his suicide. It will take years upon years to sort this one out but I could see them getting some compensation.

whatever happens i think Brady should be suspended and Belichick fined and the Patriots lose a draft pick!

Sounds good to me!

I think that is an important distinction because his estate probably has a fairly strong claim to the guaranteed portion of his money. If his estate were to win and then file chapter 11 would the victim's families be SOL? This feels like they are almost putting a lein on that guaranteed portion in the event that it is owed.

I think this is a realistic view of the situation. But how can the estate file bankruptcy just to protect against the civil suit? Are there other factors/claims? This should be interesting to follow. I'm sure they have thought of all the angles..... The suit is not really because the Pats have done anything wrong, but that they may be the holders of the assets.

Where are our resident lawyers? I promise not to tell any lawyer jokes!

whatever happens i think Brady should be suspended and Belichick fined and the Patriots lose a draft pick!

I thought that was so obvious it went without stating, but I guess one can't be too safe.

I think this is a realistic view of the situation. But how can the estate file bankruptcy just to protect against the civil suit? Are there other factors/claims? This should be interesting to follow. I'm sure they have thought of all the angles..... The suit is not really because the Pats have done anything wrong, but that they may be the holders of the assets.

I don't know. I'm banking on the victims racing to get their cut. He killed so many people that you probably want to be first in line to collect. It's tough though because I think that his conviction being vacated may make it tough to have those guys get paid. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I thought that was so obvious it went without stating, but I guess one can't be too safe.

The estate fiduciary (Executor/Administrator) typically has a duty to pursue and amass all estate assets. Assuming that the Patriots still owe Hernandez some portion of his contract wages, the fiduciary is required to pursue them.

An estate cannot declare bankruptcy in the same way an individual or entity may. If it is insolvent because its debts or claims against it exceed its assets, then the estate is insolvent, and the various claims against it are apportioned according to the laws governing priority of claims.

It's conceivable that this is the thinking behind the suit. The Patriots will likely argue that Hernandez's conduct obviates or breaches their contract in some way, and the wage claim, and therefore the claim against the estate, might thereafter be settled quietly and confidentially for a greater than zero (albeit less than sought) sum in order for the club to avoid bad press.

But, I'm not admitted in Massachusetts or all that familiar with the details of its laws, so this is just generalized and wild speculation based on New York jurisprudence.

The estate fiduciary (Executor/Administrator) typically has a duty to pursue and amass all estate assets. Assuming that the Patriots still owe Hernandez some portion of his contract wages, the fiduciary is required to pursue them.

An estate cannot declare bankruptcy in the same way an individual or entity may. If it is insolvent because its debts or claims against it exceed its assets, then the estate is insolvent, and the various claims against it are apportioned according to the laws governing priority of claims.

It's conceivable that this is the thinking behind the suit. The Patriots will likely argue that Hernandez's conduct obviates or breaches their contract in some way, and the wage claim, and therefore the claim against the estate, might thereafter be settled quietly and confidentially for a greater than zero (albeit less than sought) sum in order for the club to avoid bad press.

But, I'm not admitted in Massachusetts or all that familiar with the details of its laws, so this is just generalized and wild speculation based on New York jurisprudence.

Great stuff and thanks for shedding some light on it!!

....thanks for ringing in and sharing your legal knowledge....interesting stuff.....if I understand MA law, his death prior to exhausting all appeals voids all convictions and technically he is innocent...IF that interpretation is somewhat correct, Patriots defense of breach of contract or implied duties does not hold because MA law says he is innocent.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

As much as I despise Kraft and his patriots*, trying to get money from them for Hernadez' crimes would be like the Goldman's suing the Bills because of OJ.

That is an interesting way of looking at it. But then the Bills didn't owe OJ any monies, otherwise they the Goldman's probably would have sued the Bills.

Did you even read the article? He was found not guilty for the drive by shooting of the two men, a separate incident from the Lloyd murder which he was found guilty.

gotta sue some...err...everybody. It's the American Dream to have a loved one killed by an entity of some sort with deep pockets. Of course, they are doing this for justice, not money. Obviously.

Edited by jeremy2020

He was found not guilty and is apparently not guilty of all the crimes according to mass law. So I'd say no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two things:

1). OJ was found Innocent and yet lost the civil case - they are very different and guilty or innocent does not necessarily mean anything in the civil case.

2). I think the lawsuit is about money the Pats owe to Hernandez as much as anything else and this lawsuit gives them grounds to collect money before it gets to the Hernandez estate.

I have no issues with this suit, but it depends upon the final interpretation.

As much as I despise Kraft and his patriots*, trying to get money from them for Hernadez' crimes would be like the Goldman's suing the Bills because of OJ.

If OJ had still been under contract - they probably would have to prevent the money going someplace they can not access.

Even as it was OJ was found Not Guilty, but still lost the civil suit and was forced to pay a lot of money.