Report: 24 yr old LB Zach Orr to come out of retirement

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the Bills have less talent than the last few years. I'm of the belief that they were a playoff team (maybe both of the last 2 years) with someone other than Rex pulling the strings. I don't know if that's the case now. I worry about the depth. If Tyrod, Sammy, McCoy, Clay, Glenn, Hughes or Hyde go down it is crippling. Those are good NFL players with CFL players behind them.

I agree.

Long time reader, first time poster.

My little birdie tells me Zach Orr will be coming to Buffalo for a visit. Not sure of the day yet, but he will be coming. He's just looking to play

Lets get this out of the way right now: Unless youre willing to out your source and tell us every detail, youre a lying scumbag looking for attention.

Also, welcome to the board!

I think that the Bills have less talent than the last few years. I'm of the belief that they were a playoff team (maybe both of the last 2 years) with someone other than Rex pulling the strings. I don't know if that's the case now. I worry about the depth. If Tyrod, Sammy, McCoy, Clay, Glenn, Hughes or Hyde go down it is crippling. Those are good NFL players with CFL players behind them.

I just think that most teams are in this exact same situation

The key will be if these coaches can coach up a young player to play well enough to not have production fall off a cliff

There's something fishy with this case. He received an initial medical opinion that he should retire, so he did. What has changed? Did his missing vertebral body grow back? If he received a 2nd opinion, why didn't he get one before filing the retirement papers?

It seems like he may have finally received an opinion (3rd? 4th?) he wanted to hear. His words: "Now that I've gotten a taste of the game being taken away from me, I'm even more hungry to play," Orr said Wednesday on NFL Network's Good Morning Football.

There's no way this guy passes a team physical. I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole (but if I did, I'd do it gently).

There's something fishy with this case. He received an initial medical opinion that he should retire, so he did. What has changed? Did his missing vertebral body grow back? If he received a 2nd opinion, why didn't he get one before filing the retirement papers?

It seems like he may have finally received an opinion (3rd? 4th?) he wanted to hear. His words: "Now that I've gotten a taste of the game being taken away from me, I'm even more hungry to play," Orr said Wednesday on NFL Network's Good Morning Football.

There's no way this guy passes a team physical. I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole (but if I did, I'd do it gently).

he didn't file retirement papers. In January, when he announced he was retiring, he said he was going to try to come back if at all possible

That's one of the first things that crossed my mind when I saw the article.

I recognize this is a business where we're essentially reduced to cheering for laundry, but I kinda miss the loyalty thing. The story would be more enjoyable if we found out he was a UFA, but went to the Ravens to give them first dibs, and they re-signed him, and all was well.

"cheering for laundry".... Awesome!!!

I just think that most teams are in this exact same situation

The key will be if these coaches can coach up a young player to play well enough to not have production fall off a cliff

I agree to an extent but the Bills depth used to be better than it is. Hopefully the coaching will offset some of it.

Oh my gosh. The Falcons don't have that much more talent than us. Really? That PFF ranking has them at number three with overall talent, depth, etc and the Bills are ranked 27.

Dude, the Bills are always ranked 27th in everything. They could have the Falcons roster and PFF would rank them 27th.

I didn't say he was signing!! Just a visit as far as I hear

Signing players daily

Lets get this out of the way right now: Unless youre willing to out your source and tell us every detail, youre a lying scumbag looking for attention.

Haha well thank you for that kind welcome. My source, is Zach Orr's brother.

Thats really cool, and good news too.

If he signs with us, you have a chance to be a god around here. Dont blow it.

Sorry, dude. My lame attempt at humor. McCoy put this on snap chat when he posted about Maclin's visit. Then Mac didn't sign. It will forever be a sarcastic statement when players are visiting.

fair and balanced as expected Captain !

Without trying to be a Debbie Downer, if the last few visits are an indication he can expect a lowball offer from the Bills. With the amount of interest, I'd be surprised (and thrilled) to have him controlling the middle.

A 1 hit wonder with a perceived high risk of career ending injury. Beane is getting ready to lowball the crap out of this one

Sorry, dude. My lame attempt at humor. McCoy put this on snap chat when he posted about Maclin's visit. Then Mac didn't sign. It will forever be a sarcastic statement when players are visiting.

It's all good! I really want Orr to sign here. Hoping he is not that impressed with Detroit.

I know that we want to chase every FA but this is at least a little interesting with McDermott. His defense in Carolina revolved around his star MLB. Would the Bills chase Orr to fill that role? They have a lot of LBs but none of his quality.

Which reminds me. Who is gonna be our Star MLB if we go with the roster we have now?

Without trying to be a Debbie Downer, if the last few visits are an indication he can expect a lowball offer from the Bills. With the amount of interest, I'd be surprised (and thrilled) to have him controlling the middle.

I would think a player of his caliber and age would get a meatier deal, but there are some risks with his health and being out of football for a year so we might end up getting a reasonable price without being cheap.

Captain, you are now the Board's unofficial Welcoming Committee. DC Tom still holds the OFFICIAL title.

Long time reader, first time poster.

My little birdie tells me Zach Orr will be coming to Buffalo for a visit. Not sure of the day yet, but he will be coming. He's just looking to play

Whales! Is that you??

As much as I love football, I'd rather look out for a players health. With that said, I would pass. It's obvious the player loves football and probably feels that it's hard to just walk away.

Edited by JTO

@josinaanderson

FA LB Zach Orr is not done w/ his physical in Detroit. Expected to finish blood work in the am. "Doctors are pleased w/ everything so far."

Zach Orr's agent Robert Sheets tells me Orr has interest from "16 teams" so far. Adds Orr intends to take as many meaningful visits as posb.

Just saw this on NFLN:

2nd team All Pro LB Zach Orr retired from Ravens after last season because he was told he was born with a rare medical condition that could seriously impact his health if he kept playing (lead to paralysis if hit). Never filed retirement paperwork though and was set to become a RFA. Ravens never tendered him since he announced he was retiring. Since then he's received news from doctors that he is at no bigger risk than anyone else. Now he's a UFA and can sign anywhere. Just needs cleared by team doctor. He was live on Good Morning Football talking about it.

https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000817698/article/zach-orr-considering-returning-to-nfl-after-new-health-prognosis?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3dstory&env=&pageKeyValues=team%3dbal%3bconf%3dafc%3bdvsn%3dacn&sr=amp

If you see enough doctors you will find one who says what you want to hear.

That said the NFL has absolutely no soul whatsoever. If the kid can play, wants to take the risk, and is willing to sign a contract the completely insulates the team, he'll find a job. When he gets hurt again the team will use whatever language they put into the contract to protect themselves and pay the kid as little as possible on his way out the door to a lifetime of health problems if not full on paralysis.

If you see enough doctors you will find one who says what you want to hear.

That said the NFL has absolutely no soul whatsoever. If the kid can play, wants to take the risk, and is willing to sign a contract the completely insulates the team, he'll find a job. When he gets hurt again the team will use whatever language they put into the contract to protect themselves and pay the kid as little as possible on his way out the door to a lifetime of health problems if not full on paralysis.

not saying it's the exact same situation because Orr's is congenital , but no one has signed Aaron Williams and his agent claims he's 100% healthy. If that's true then it has to be the fear of the neck situation - he's young and talented and wants to keep playing. He's had two visits, I think. Edited by YoloinOhio

not saying it's the exact same situation because Orr's is congenital , but no one has signed Aaron Williams and his agent claims he's 100% healthy. If that's true then it has to be the fear of the neck situation - he's young and talented and wants to keep playing. He's had two visits, I think.

Or his price is too high, or he's not willing to agree to indemnity language. He's also a vested veteran who would have a fully guaranteed salary after week 1. Aaron drops his ask to vet minimum with no guaranteed money he'll have a job in week 2.

As talented as he was for the Ravens, teams need to say no. The NFL should pressure teams not to take him. Why? Their own self interest. What I mean is imagine what will happen to NFL popularity and bad press from a player with known issues with a weakened disk in his C4 if I remember correctly laying on the field for the whole nation to watch paralyzed or killed on the field.

Remember when Kevin Everett almost died it changed special teams rules. Remember how you felt in the stadium or on your couch watching him on the ground and the news that day he might die.

I don't want anything to do with someone putting themselves at that kind of risk. It's why I don't ever want to see Aaron Williams in an NFL jersey again. He seems like a nice kid. Sometimes you have to protect a player from himself.

@alexmarvez

.@ZO35 tells @SiriusXMNFL he just arrived for UFA visit with @Colts & slated to visit @nyjets next. Expects to hear from @Lions later today

@SiriusXMNFL

FA LB Zach Orr (@ZO35): The reason I retired is a birth defect, not an injury. I'm not injured...I feel great.

Zach Orr: I retired after seeing only one doctor...rest of doctors have told me I'm not at a greater risk.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

@alexmarvez

.@ZO35 tells @SiriusXMNFL he just arrived for UFA visit with @Colts & slated to visit @nyjets next. Expects to hear from @Lions later today

@SiriusXMNFL

FA LB Zach Orr (@ZO35): The reason I retired is a birth defect, not an injury. I'm not injured...I feel great.

Zach Orr: I retired after seeing only one doctor...rest of doctors have told me I'm not at a greater risk.

That does put an interesting spin on things.

If entirely true, the kid should be given a chance to play assuming he's cleared by club doctors (not just his own).

Of course most of us remember Kevin Everett. How about Derrick Burroughs? 1st round (pick 14) pick for the Bills in 1985 draft. Excellent DB. A Monday night game in 1989 against Houston he injured his neck and never played football again. He was diagnosed with spinal stenosis. He wanted to make a comeback, but no team would touch him. According to this article, https://tspnnews.wordpress.com/2011/08/24/derek-burroughs-erased-from-history/he had to sue the Bills to even get his medical bills paid for (I presume they said it was a preexisting condition, but I didn't research it and didn't know the Bills refused to pay until I looked up the article). Bill Polian was mentioning him on Sirius XM the other day, without mentioning his name. Just said that one of our 1st round picks from the 80s had this condition, the Bills knew about it before the draft but the doctors said he was safe "unless he had an incident." Per Bill, in the Houston game he had an incident and that was the end of his career. I found it interesting that Bill described the entire thing but did not mention his name. And, I had never heard before that the Bills knew he was vulnerable before hand. I kind of remember it had been reported as if we were surprised to learn of the defect until after the injury. By the way, Burroughs is now an assistant coach at Jackson State.

Of course most of us remember Kevin Everett. How about Derrick Burroughs? 1st round (pick 14) pick for the Bills in 1985 draft. Excellent DB. A Monday night game in 1989 against Houston he injured his neck and never played football again. He was diagnosed with spinal stenosis. He wanted to make a comeback, but no team would touch him. According to this article, https://tspnnews.wordpress.com/2011/08/24/derek-burroughs-erased-from-history/he had to sue the Bills to even get his medical bills paid for (I presume they said it was a preexisting condition, but I didn't research it and didn't know the Bills refused to pay until I looked up the article). Bill Polian was mentioning him on Sirius XM the other day, without mentioning his name. Just said that one of our 1st round picks from the 80s had this condition, the Bills knew about it before the draft but the doctors said he was safe "unless he had an incident." Per Bill, in the Houston game he had an incident and that was the end of his career. I found it interesting that Bill described the entire thing but did not mention his name. And, I had never heard before that the Bills knew he was vulnerable before hand. I kind of remember it had been reported as if we were surprised to learn of the defect until after the injury. By the way, Burroughs is now an assistant coach at Jackson State.

Had to retire due Spinal Stenosis.

Sorry I'm not all that big on Orr

Not that PFF ratings are the end all and be all but he was rated very very poorly vs the run last year

I'll take the run stuffing potential of Ragland over Orr today and twice on Sunday

And I'll note Hodges PFF run rating was very very high

So for the poster here who said Orr could be HC Sean Kuchley's

Uh no, please note Luke's PFF run rating was double that of Orr's, lol

Yeah, no thanks...

jc

similar to niagara falls.

I have no idea who Zach Orr is but I feel the same was as I do Aaron Williams. If you have an increased risk for death or paralysis you should hang your cleats up.

Why is standard risk acceptable and any increase not?