Report: 24 yr old LB Zach Orr to come out of retirement

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anything about Zach Orr. What I'm curious about is when did Ragland become a bum? Is it just that he may be better suited for the 3-4? The 4-3 is still football right? Do we just become infatuated with every FA?

I don't know anything about Zach Orr. What I'm curious about is when did Ragland become a bum? Is it just that he may be better suited for the 3-4? The 4-3 is still football right? Do we just become infatuated with every FA?

Led the Ravens in tackles last year with about 130. Tackling machine.

When was Ragland a 24 year-old 2nd team all-pro? I wouldn't think that Orr would be in the conversation if he were a solid football player like Ragland or Hodges. He's potentially a star.

When was Ragland a 24 year-old 2nd team all-pro? I wouldn't think that Orr would be in the conversation if he were a solid football player like Ragland or Hodges. He's potentially a star.

Not if he can't pass a team physical. Orr watch? Likely not.

The Ravens must feel cheated

I wonder if he might feel compelled to give them a home team discount.

Ragland is a Rex only type LB. He even calls himself a throwback. Not really an NFL LB. At least not today's NFL. Sounds like a good kid but banking anything on him would be a bad bet.

Ragland is a Rex only type LB. He even calls himself a throwback. Not really an NFL LB. At least not today's NFL. Sounds like a good kid but banking anything on him would be a bad bet.

How so?

I'd really, genuinely, seriously like you to expand on the reasoning.

Cuz Rex sux! :lol:

Well how did that statement turn out? True? False?

Ragland was selected by a bumbling Rex who was hyperventilating to trade up to get a LB who had been severely passed over in the draft. He wanted to fit him into his defensive scheme where nobody seems to fit. You either can't cover Odell Beckham like Dareus and Mario, you can't even get on the field with 10 other guys because nobody is sure what to do, or you are called dumb like Preston Brown. Rex raved about how well Ragland fit his "system". Wrong system to fit kid.

Ragland himself says he is a throwback to old school linebackers which is cool from an attitude point of view but this isn't Alabama where he can get after slow weak players from Arkansas Ag Tech and mining in half of his games. It's not even a league consisting of SEC type players. It's much faster and he will have to do much different things....like playing a different sport altogether. That is why nobody else wanted him. Look, it's possible that a player can transform his game...it happens. It just doesn't happen often and Ragland's Bama game is one that isn't even played in the NFL.

Edit: I don't want to get too deep into arguing over Ragland here because the thread was initiated to talk about Orr. I don't know much about him, I'm just saying we shouldn't shy away from him "because we have Ragland".

Edited by 4merper4mer

Well how did that statement turn out? True? False?

Ragland was selected by a bumbling Rex who was hyperventilating to trade up to get a LB who had been severely passed over in the draft. He wanted to fit him into his defensive scheme where nobody seems to fit. You either can't cover Odell Beckham like Dareus and Mario, you can't even get on the field with 10 other guys because nobody is sure what to do, or you are called dumb like Preston Brown. Rex raved about how well Ragland fit his "system". Wrong system to fit kid.

Ragland himself says he is a throwback to old school linebackers which is cool from an attitude point of view but this isn't Alabama where he can get after slow weak players from Arkansas Ag Tech and mining in half of his games. It's not even a league consisting of SEC type players. It's much faster and he will have to do much different things....like playing a different sport altogether. That is why nobody else wanted him. Look, it's possible that a player can transform his game...it happens. It just doesn't happen often and Ragland's Bama game is one that isn't even played in the NFL.

Edit: I don't want to get too deep into arguing over Ragland here because the thread was initiated to talk about Orr. I don't know much about him, I'm just saying we shouldn't shy away from him "because we have Ragland".

You'd probably hate Orr then. Played at North Texas (God forbid what could be worse than Arkansas Tech & Mining) and tested worse than Reggie at 10 pounds lighter.

The Ravens must feel cheated

That's one of the first things that crossed my mind when I saw the article.

I recognize this is a business where we're essentially reduced to cheering for laundry, but I kinda miss the loyalty thing. The story would be more enjoyable if we found out he was a UFA, but went to the Ravens to give them first dibs, and they re-signed him, and all was well.

@dangraziano

Free-agent LB Zach Orr will visit the Lions on Thursday. Eight teams have reached out so far since Orr told NFL Network this morning he was OK to play.

@bmorefeather

With Zach Orr visiting the Lions, the #Ravens have obvious competition to offer a substantial deal, but only have around $5m in cap space.

Edited by YoloinOhio

What about men's fashion magazines?

we never did finish that jeans discussion.

Anyway, I don't anything about the guy but will take at face value the praise that others have given him. Obviously, you look at his medical situation carefully, but if you think there's a relatively high probability that he can play even a year or two, I think you go after him. Bills have the cap room, and this (like Maclin) is the unusual case where a pretty talented player has unexpectedly shown up as a free agent. There won't be many more opportunities like this to get a good player, so it won't hurt to make a serious investment in him. If the Bills got two good seasons out of him and then he had a medical problem prompting his real retirement, it would have been worth. If they got four good seasons out of him, he would have been a steal.

As someone said, he'll be looking to make some money, so throwing some short-term money (money the Bills can afford) makes some sense. This is a case where you want to front-load the cap hit, so you don't hamstring yourself with dead cap space in later years.

These situation are always gambles, and I think they're always worth taking. Percy Harvin was a good gamble. Special talent, you know he might bust, but if he doesn't, you've only lost some money. You have to compare Harvin to the guy who would have made the roster if the Bills hadn't signed him. That guy would have been the sixth receiver on the team and almost certainly never would have become a significant contributor. Possible, but quite unlikely. So you haven't hurt yourself by not signing that guy, and you've given yourself a chance to have a significant competitor on the team. That's why you go after a Maclin or an Orr when they show up magically. Maclin would have been an immediate starter, and it sounds like Orr would have, too. Is there a risk? Sure, but there's a potential reward that you get with Orr that just isn't there with the guy you will keep if you don't sign Orr.

Pats did it with Moss - it worked for a little bit and then it didn't. They did it with Haynesworth. It's smart to make bets on players with high-end NFL talent.

As for Ragland, I think he's too good a football player not to contribute, if he's healthy. He may not be a perfect fit for the defense, but good football players make plays. People here are complaining that Gilmore's gone, but HE wasn't a perfect fit for this defense, either. My view on both Gilmore and Ragland is the same: may not be a perfect fit, but you never hurt yourself by putting good football players on the field. When Ragland's rookie deal is up, the Bills may not keep him because he isn't a perfect fit and some other team will pay him more (just like Gilmore), but in the meantime I'm sure McDermott wants Ragland (and Orr).

we never did finish that jeans discussion.

Anyway, I don't anything about the guy but will take at face value the praise that others have given him. Obviously, you look at his medical situation carefully, but if you think there's a relatively high probability that he can play even a year or two, I think you go after him. Bills have the cap room, and this (like Maclin) is the unusual case where a pretty talented player has unexpectedly shown up as a free agent. There won't be many more opportunities like this to get a good player, so it won't hurt to make a serious investment in him. If the Bills got two good seasons out of him and then he had a medical problem prompting his real retirement, it would have been worth. If they got four good seasons out of him, he would have been a steal.

As someone said, he'll be looking to make some money, so throwing some short-term money (money the Bills can afford) makes some sense. This is a case where you want to front-load the cap hit, so you don't hamstring yourself with dead cap space in later years.

These situation are always gambles, and I think they're always worth taking. Percy Harvin was a good gamble. Special talent, you know he might bust, but if he doesn't, you've only lost some money. You have to compare Harvin to the guy who would have made the roster if the Bills hadn't signed him. That guy would have been the sixth receiver on the team and almost certainly never would have become a significant contributor. Possible, but quite unlikely. So you haven't hurt yourself by not signing that guy, and you've given yourself a chance to have a significant competitor on the team. That's why you go after a Maclin or an Orr when they show up magically. Maclin would have been an immediate starter, and it sounds like Orr would have, too. Is there a risk? Sure, but there's a potential reward that you get with Orr that just isn't there with the guy you will keep if you don't sign Orr.

Pats did it with Moss - it worked for a little bit and then it didn't. They did it with Haynesworth. It's smart to make bets on players with high-end NFL talent.

As for Ragland, I think he's too good a football player not to contribute, if he's healthy. He may not be a perfect fit for the defense, but good football players make plays. People here are complaining that Gilmore's gone, but HE wasn't a perfect fit for this defense, either. My view on both Gilmore and Ragland is the same: may not be a perfect fit, but you never hurt yourself by putting good football players on the field. When Ragland's rookie deal is up, the Bills may not keep him because he isn't a perfect fit and some other team will pay him more (just like Gilmore), but in the meantime I'm sure McDermott wants Ragland (and Orr).

We do in fact have cap space.......might be a good time to cash in