Sunday Ticket 2017

Mr Info

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just called and asked for my yearly discount. Been a customer since 2008. I have seasons so only use the ticket for around half of the games and always relay that to them. I always am very polite and also remind them that really the only thing keeping me a DTV customer is the ticket. Anyways, I got the ticket and the max for 6 payments of 29.99. That's fair enough for me. I didn't get into equipment upgrades or other discounts, I'll save that for another day.

I'm a 17 year customer and the best they could do was $10 off/month for ST Max. I cancelled the ST automatic renewal and will call back later in August when my other credits run out. The CR did tell me though that in late August, ST discounts tend to appear. So, I'll call near the end of the month and do the dance again.

I just called. They're giving me the basic Sunday Ticket for free ($284 value), but I'll pay $96 to upgrade to Max.

I think if I call back after my next bill I might be eligible for some regular account credits so at the end of the day I'll probably get ST Max for free. Even if I don't have any credits, $96 for the season is well worth it.

My wife and I just bought our first home 5 days ago and moved in. After 5 years and zero new promos or price drops for directv I called and cancelled and went with comcast cable internet and home security for less than my directv bill who I only had tv with.

One of the worst companies I've ever dealt with. I have talked with them multiple times over the years and threatened cancellation before but never followed through cause of the outraguous fee.

After cancelling and signing with Comcast then they called and offered me $79.99 for the highest package along with 6 months of hbo and of course free Sunday ticket for the year. I told them to stick it.

They then proceeded to threaten me or I guess warn me that since I'm cancelling with 6 months left of my contract not only do I owe them cancellation fee for 6 months but they also expect me to pay back any discounted rates I have received for the last 18 months of the contract. Should be an interesting bill coming in the mail.

Luckily my nephew in the marines has the streaming package but will miss this season so I can borrow his

Edited by Rc2catch

@Rc2catch have you ever heard the phrase bite off your nose to spite your face?

I've had the Comcast bill for my parents house for about 5 years and they have always been helpful and had great service. Directv was garbage for me and my family.

Well, there are two ways to get (semi)legitimate live NFL Sunday Ticket games to online devices (i.e. computer, phone, tablet, probably Roku though I haven't tried - just not "direct" to your TV):

1. VPN through a non-US country. You can sign up and pay but you have to log in each week while connected to the VPN coming from a non-US.

a, I first signed up while deployed, and was auto-renewed. Found out that although I'd been charged (albeit at a returning customer discount) I couldn't watch! VPN through Canada et voila!

b. Once you've logged in and have the game list, you can disconnect from the VPN. If the VPN is any good and allows high data rates, it's easier to just stay connected. However, if your VPN is limiting your data rate, you can disconnect after logging in and selecting you game.

c. The quality is as good or better than watching the games via most cable providers if your Internet access is good enough. At the highest data rates, it definitely equals or exceeds the HD quality of cable with all the compression they add. Nothing beats over the air HD of course.

2. Sign up after verifying you are a student at a college/university.

a. Cheaper than purchasing from non-US live or in US NFL Replay

b. They ask for your school, name, and birthdate online to instantly verify you are a student.

c. You do NOT have to use (or have) a school email.

d. the credit card does NOT have to be the name of the student

e. I don't know how the verification works. I signed my daughter up this way with her legit school and her name/birth date and the web site said good to go, then proceeded to ask me for an email address to use, and payment information.

f. She is signed up now, but I haven't used this one yet, so can't vouch for quality. However you can pay $99 for NFL GamePass or $149 for GamePass plus the replay options.

You can just sign up at DirectTV for the Sunday streaming package now. I used to have to verify I couldn't get DTV where I live but not anymore. Just sign up and you can watch on your computer, phone, or set top bog (Roku, Apple TV). I'm already signed up.

No need for this runaround any more.

Edited by Benjamin Franklin

I just called. They're giving me the basic Sunday Ticket for free ($284 value), but I'll pay $96 to upgrade to Max.

I think if I call back after my next bill I might be eligible for some regular account credits so at the end of the day I'll probably get ST Max for free. Even if I don't have any credits, $96 for the season is well worth it.

Nice...and the best I could get was $10/off month. :wallbash:

Exactly what I did and going to do. They even told me to call back after 8/20 when the credits run out to ask for them again.

You can just sign up at DirectTV for the Sunday streaming package now. I used to have to verify I couldn't get DTV where I live but not anymore. Just sign up and you can watch on your computer, phone, or set top bog (Roku, Apple TV). I'm already signed up.

No need for this runaround any more.

I was unable to replicate this. It checks your eligibility and then tells me nope.

LOL so yesterday I got an email from "DIRECTV" stating they are offering me Sunday Ticket at no extra charge, no strings attached, just click on the link...looked legit, like all the other emails I get from them. No way, I thought, must be a phishing scam...so I called them, actually called them twice, because I didn't believe the first person, but apparently it's true! Dude said "yep it's on your account, Sunday Ticket, no charge"...damn! that's pretty nice, didn't have to do any dance this year! I'm planning to call next week to see if I can get any other discounts since my $50 a month credit just expired! Woo Hoo!!!

LOL so yesterday I got an email from "DIRECTV" stating they are offering me Sunday Ticket at no extra charge, no strings attached, just click on the link...looked legit, like all the other emails I get from them. No way, I thought, must be a phishing scam...so I called them, actually called them twice, because I didn't believe the first person, but apparently it's true! Dude said "yep it's on your account, Sunday Ticket, no charge"...damn! that's pretty nice, didn't have to do any dance this year! I'm planning to call next week to see if I can get any other discounts since my $50 a month credit just expired! Woo Hoo!!!

How long have you been with them?

How long have you been with them?

well, that's a weird story, in reality about 15 years, but they inadvertently canceled my service in 2015 (they jumped the gun on a cancellation by a week) and every time I call they say "thanks for being a customer since 2015"...so I guess 2 years. Long term ATT wireless customer too.

Over the past 5-6 years as a DTV customer, I have had a random collection of $5 and $10 monthly credits that kept my cost low - under $100 for one of their higher packages, a HD DVR/Genie, three additional TVs, and one premium channel. At that level, I was happy doing the annual call and getting Sunday Ticket or MAX for half-price or free Ticket with $100 for MAX. I really enjoy Sunday Ticket and always get $100-$180 of value out of it.

This year, my discounts slowly expired over time and my bill had escalated to over $150 per month. I called a few times during the course of the year and was advised that my contract was going to run out at the end of July and that I would then be eligible for $50 off per month and likely a great deal on Sunday Ticket. The rep told me she would call me last Thursday with my "great offer." She never called, so on Friday, I called them and got to Retention. For those of you that do this every year, you probably know within 10 seconds whether the rep is going to help you or not. The rep that I got offered me $55 off per month, but had "no offers on Sunday Ticket." I asked if he could get his supervisor and he said "my supervisor is on a call and has been all day." Seeing that I was getting nowhere with this ass clown, I asked him to notate the account of the $55 offer and that I would decline it for now and would try back another time.

I called back about an hour later and decided to go with a "regular" rep, then work my way to Retention (now called Customer Loyalty). She immediately got me over to Loyalty. The guy who answered was really friendly. I told him I was looking for the $55 discount, plus "a great deal on Sunday Ticket." He asked what team I liked and I told him the Bills. He started talking about how he was from Alabama, but used to love watching Thurman Thomas and Jim Kelly. I figured I had a winner and dropped a couple of Crimson Tide comments (which he liked). He took a brief break and came back with the news that I had free "Regular" ticket. I was happy, but asked if he could try to get me "MAX." He took a brief break and came back with a $96 charge for MAX, which he would offset with a $96 credit. He also gave me about $35 in one-time credits to lower my current month's $150+ bill. In exchange, I had to agree to a one year contract. I willingly took this, as my cost is now back below $100 per month, plus free Sunday Ticket MAX AND I am again out of contract at the end of July next summer, right around the time for Sunday Ticket renewal. I am extremely happy with this result! My advice to others:

1) Consider your leverage. If you are still in a contract, you have less leverage and may have to settle for half-price Ticket or some other discounts. If you are out of contract, push for getting Ticket for Free.

2) Be patient. In some cases, what you get is based on what offers are available that day. In others, and I believe is more the case, it really all depends on who answers the phone. If you get a rep (assuming you are in Retention/Loyalty) who really wants to help and keep you as a satisfied customer, then can get you a deal. If you get some schmuck who is punching the clock and just wants to get on to the next call, forget it. If you know your call is going nowhere, politely thank them and end the call as soon as you can. Don't waste your time. Call back again and hope for a better rep. It may even require a third call. Your patience will ultimately pay off!

One final comment is that I owe all of my DTV and Sunday Ticket discount "expertise" to this forum. A few years ago, I was young (not really) and naive, but thanks to all of of you, I am now a savvy veteran of the game. I hope I am now able to impart my wisdom on others and give back to the community.

Edited by msw2112

Can confirm, I received this too and activated it. I had free Sunday Ticket my first year with them but didn't have it the past two years. If you have DTV I suggest checking your email as I generally ignore them.

This was the fine print for the offer;

2017 NFL SUNDAY TICKET OFFER: DIRECTV account listed above will receive the 2017 season of NFL SUNDAY TICKET at no add'l cost; package will not automatically renew. Offer is non-transferable. To renew NFL SUNDAY TICKET, customer must call to upgrade after the 2017 season. Package consists of all live out-of-market NFL games (based on customer's service address) broadcast on FOX and CBS. However, games broadcast by your local FOX or CBS affiliate, and select International games, will not be available in NFL SUNDAY TICKET. Games available via remote viewing based on device location. Other conditions apply. Only one game may be accessed remotely at any given time. Compatible device/operating system required for online/mobile access. Additional data charges may apply. Visit directv.com/nfl for a list of compatible devices/system requirements. Short Cuts are available from midnight Sunday ET through midnight Wednesday ET via the NFL SUNDAY TICKET App. For full Mix Channel and interactive functionality, HD equipment model H/HR 21 or later is required.

Can confirm, I received this too and activated it. I had free Sunday Ticket my first year with them but didn't have it the past two years. If you have DTV I suggest checking your email as I generally ignore them.

This was the fine print for the offer;

Thank you! I was pretty paranoid about it, that's why I called. The fine print looked so legit!

Over the past 5-6 years as a DTV customer, I have had a random collection of $5 and $10 monthly credits that kept my cost low - under $100 for one of their higher packages, a HD DVR/Genie, three additional TVs, and one premium channel. At that level, I was happy doing the annual call and getting Sunday Ticket or MAX for half-price or free Ticket with $100 for MAX. I really enjoy Sunday Ticket and always get $100-$180 of value out of it.

This year, my discounts slowly expired over time and my bill had escalated to over $150 per month. I called a few times during the course of the year and was advised that my contract was going to run out at the end of July and that I would then be eligible for $50 off per month and likely a great deal on Sunday Ticket. The rep told me she would call me last Thursday with my "great offer." She never called, so on Friday, I called them and got to Retention. For those of you that do this every year, you probably know within 10 seconds whether the rep is going to help you or not. The rep that I got offered me $55 off per month, but had "no offers on Sunday Ticket." I asked if he could get his supervisor and he said "my supervisor is on a call and has been all day." Seeing that I was getting nowhere with this ass clown, I asked him to notate the account of the $55 offer and that I would decline it for now and would try back another time.

I called back about an hour later and decided to go with a "regular" rep, then work my way to Retention (now called Customer Loyalty). She immediately got me over to Loyalty. The guy who answered was really friendly. I told him I was looking for the $55 discount, plus "a great deal on Sunday Ticket." He asked what team I liked and I told him the Bills. He started talking about how he was from Alabama, but used to love watching Thurman Thomas and Jim Kelly. I figured I had a winner and dropped a couple of Crimson Tide comments (which he liked). He took a brief break and came back with the news that I had free "Regular" ticket. I was happy, but asked if he could try to get me "MAX." He took a brief break and came back with a $96 charge for MAX, which he would offset with a $96 credit. He also gave me about $35 in one-time credits to lower my current month's $150+ bill. In exchange, I had to agree to a one year contract. I willingly took this, as my cost is now back below $100 per month, plus free Sunday Ticket MAX AND I am again out of contract at the end of July next summer, right around the time for Sunday Ticket renewal. I am extremely happy with this result! My advice to others:

1) Consider your leverage. If you are still in a contract, you have less leverage and may have to settle for half-price Ticket or some other discounts. If you are out of contract, push for getting Ticket for Free.

2) Be patient. In some cases, what you get is based on what offers are available that day. In others, and I believe is more the case, it really all depends on who answers the phone. If you get a rep (assuming you are in Retention/Loyalty) who really wants to help and keep you as a satisfied customer, then can get you a deal. If you get some schmuck who is punching the clock and just wants to get on to the next call, forget it. If you know your call is going nowhere, politely thank them and end the call as soon as you can. Don't waste your time. Call back again and hope for a better rep. It may even require a third call. Your patience will ultimately pay off!

One final comment is that I owe all of my DTV and Sunday Ticket discount "expertise" to this forum. A few years ago, I was young (not really) and naive, but thanks to all of of you, I am now a savvy veteran of the game. I hope I am now able to impart my wisdom on others and give back to the community.

Awesome! Have to agree with everything you said...especially point number 2.

Pro Sports and SportsDevil

I have had no luck with getting Bills games with this. Spent hours going through the channels. Once I was lucky enough to find a channel but

it was terrible. Lost 5 seconds chunks of video every minute. And the video wasn't even VCR level.

Are you using a VPN? I haven't tried that yet. And what is your success rate?

I'm in the Syracuse TV market so I get most games anyway but a couple of games were on the wrong network at the wrong time.

Another comment I'd add is, be persistent.

My first call a few weeks ago got me Max for $180. I called back again tonight, eventually got transferred to Customer Loyalty, and locked in a $35 credit/month for the next 12 months with no contract required. So I basically got free Max plus the leftover credits cover my NHL Center Ice package.

Granted my current contract is up in a few weeks so my leverage tonight was solid, and hopefully I'll keep leverage for next year's call by staying out of a contract. Sweet.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

Over the weekend got ready for my yearly dance with them. Called, asked for retention right away. Was upfront and asked what they could do for ST this year, and told ST Max was free. Guy also offered me $10 off hbo/max for 6 months. Done. Been a subscriber for 19 years, with a one week lapse when my wife talked me into TWC based on a home show deal about 10 years ago. I use it basically just for Redzone. My son though likes the ability to stream, although we have that now by being season tix holders (first year!).

Used to call and threaten leaving. After a few years of that, realized they knew I had no intention. Now, just call and be honest. They have credits they can use, just have to call and ask. Once a year I call TWC (now Spectrum) and get a discount on my phone/internet without much hassle either. Again, they have the credits available, just need to ask.

After seeing some responses here, I called DTV back twice over the past few days. The first call was to reinstate the $50/mo. credit that expired. Turns out I was able to get another $45/mo. credit for the next 12 months. Not sure why they wouldn't give me $50? but whatever...I was fine with $45.

The second call was specifically regarding ST MAX. I had called about three weeks ago and got it down to $24.99 x 4 payments. Since some of you got it *Free*, i called back and asked if this 17 year subscriber could get the same deal. After finally getting Loyalty on the phone, the very nice girl on the other end ultimately offered me $14.99 x 4 payments as the "best they can do". I feel like paying that for the entire season of ST MAX is fair and i didn't feel like haggling any more with her. Instead, I asked if they had any Premium movie channel promotions? She said, sure she could give me 6 months of free movie channels, the entire range of channels in the 500's. Now i have HBO, Starz, Movie Channel, Showtime, Cinemax,,,all for free. I'm pretty happy with that since i currently have none of the movie channels.

After seeing some responses here, I called DTV back twice over the past few days. The first call was to reinstate the $50/mo. credit that expired. Turns out I was able to get another $45/mo. credit for the next 12 months. Not sure why they wouldn't give me $50? but whatever...I was fine with $45.

The second call was specifically regarding ST MAX. I had called about three weeks ago and got it down to $24.99 x 4 payments. Since some of you got it *Free*, i called back and asked if this 17 year subscriber could get the same deal. After finally getting Loyalty on the phone, the very nice girl on the other end ultimately offered me $14.99 x 4 payments as the "best they can do". I feel like paying that for the entire season of ST MAX is fair and i didn't feel like haggling any more with her. Instead, I asked if they had any Premium movie channel promotions? She said, sure she could give me 6 months of free movie channels, the entire range of channels in the 500's. Now i have HBO, Starz, Movie Channel, Showtime, Cinemax,,,all for free. I'm pretty happy with that since i currently have none of the movie channels.

seems to change every year. I had $50 last year...$45 this year

I finally cut the DirecTV off! Bunch of crooks! I called them before football season and told them to cancel the NFL Package, what did they do? Gave me the Max Package for free, but still charged me for Sunday ticket. I called them back and they said it was too late to cancel the season.

No, I cancelled them (2 year contract up) and they called me everyday with offers of a better deal! I told them they are crooks and to hit the road! As soon as my AT&T contract is up they can take a flying leap too!

Go Bills!

Just got off the phone with Direct TV got 40$ a month off my bill for 4 months technically giving me sunday ticket for 6.99 a month. Also the women told me the last 3 calls she has received have been from Bills Fans....congratulations Bills nation on being the cheapest sports NFL fans out there lol

Just got off the phone with Direct TV got 40$ a month off my bill for 4 months technically giving me sunday ticket for 6.99 a month. Also the women told me the last 3 calls she has received have been from Bills Fans....congratulations Bills nation on being the cheapest sports NFL fans out there lol

I think of us as smart and frugal.

Well, there are two ways to get (semi)legitimate live NFL Sunday Ticket games to online devices (i.e. computer, phone, tablet, probably Roku though I haven't tried - just not "direct" to your TV):

1. VPN through a non-US country. You can sign up and pay but you have to log in each week while connected to the VPN coming from a non-US.

a, I first signed up while deployed, and was auto-renewed. Found out that although I'd been charged (albeit at a returning customer discount) I couldn't watch! VPN through Canada et voila!

b. Once you've logged in and have the game list, you can disconnect from the VPN. If the VPN is any good and allows high data rates, it's easier to just stay connected. However, if your VPN is limiting your data rate, you can disconnect after logging in and selecting you game.

c. The quality is as good or better than watching the games via most cable providers if your Internet access is good enough. At the highest data rates, it definitely equals or exceeds the HD quality of cable with all the compression they add. Nothing beats over the air HD of course.

2. Sign up after verifying you are a student at a college/university.

a. Cheaper than purchasing from non-US live or in US NFL Replay

b. They ask for your school, name, and birthdate online to instantly verify you are a student.

c. You do NOT have to use (or have) a school email.

d. the credit card does NOT have to be the name of the student

e. I don't know how the verification works. I signed my daughter up this way with her legit school and her name/birth date and the web site said good to go, then proceeded to ask me for an email address to use, and payment information.

f. She is signed up now, but I haven't used this one yet, so can't vouch for quality. However you can pay $99 for NFL GamePass or $149 for GamePass plus the replay options.

thanks man, my ex girlfriend was finally good for something, good thing i knew her bday still....its nice to date college girls in at my age.

I just cancelled my DirecTV. Other than offering to change my package and lower the bill with a contract ($45) they didn't attempt to retain

Used to call and threaten leaving. After a few years of that, realized they knew I had no intention. Now, just call and be honest. They have credits they can use, just have to call and ask. Once a year I call TWC (now Spectrum) and get a discount on my phone/internet without much hassle either. Again, they have the credits available, just need to ask.

I called yesterday....seeing that my $50 credit expired and I was starting to be charged for Sunday Ticket...this is after last week when 2 different reps said "yep you're getting Sunday Ticket no charge"....I spoke to some pleasant but very inadequate rep..."Sorry I have nothing to offer you at this time"...I pleasantly asked to be transferred to Loyalty...a very nice young woman got on and I explained everything...she said "let's see what I can do....first the ticket...let me cancel your ticket and see what happens....yep, you are now eligible to get Sunday ticket for free...now about a discount....sorry...I can't get you a $50 a month credit...but I can give a $60 a month credit for a year if you remain a customer for the next year"...Woo Hoo...no fuss no muss...Somehow they came through for me again. Way to go DTV

I apparently have the ST Online again - I just got an email that said "Congrats, you are automatically renewed!" (at $200)

Even at that price, seems fully worth it - i travel a lot for work and have watched games in some strange places! :D

I called yesterday and it took almost an hour, the service reps weren't very helpful at first and I've come to the conclusion that if you have AT&T cellular, you've got much more bargaining power...more so than a 17 year customer like myself (we have Verizon for cell/internet and don't foresee switching).

Anywho, I got my $50/month credit renewed and got ST Max for $99. I don't have any movie channels, had no interest in getting them and we rarely watched HBO when we had it. I'm sure I could have negotiated something movie-wise but I was happy with the deal.

I just cancelled my DirecTV. Other than offering to change my package and lower the bill with a contract ($45) they didn't attempt to retain

I don't believe any of these rooster and bull stories, when people in my life tell me them for the 3rd time they are way better than the 1st time.

Oh gee, they send YOU a cheque for $100 each Sunday after you called them?

Whatever...

I apparently have the ST Online again - I just got an email that said "Congrats, you are automatically renewed!" (at $200)

Even at that price, seems fully worth it - i travel a lot for work and have watched games in some strange places! :D

I couldn't figure out how to cancel the auto-renew feature, so I altered my credit card info. They tried charging me 3 times, unsuccessfully.

I don't believe any of these rooster and bull stories, when people in my life tell me them for the 3rd time they are way better than the 1st time.

Oh gee, they send YOU a cheque for $100 each Sunday after you called them?

Whatever...

It's legit, you just have to know how to talk to them and what to say. I've done it, and plan to do it next year.

Coca Cola found out 30 years ago that the customer is always right. I assume that a large portion of Directv account holders only are because of ST, and they'll work with you to keep your business if you threaten to cancel.

Just called in and asked for a retention specialist right away. Was connected with a very nice lady who called herself a "Loyalty Specialist". I told them I had to cancel because I was paying for a wedding (I am paying for a wedding, but it wouldn't stop me from watching my Bills!).

She put me on hold for a few minutes and this was her offer (which I gladly accepted).

My current contract - $75 a month for select package (Jumps up to $125 a month for Select with SundayTicket Max during season)

Offer - Free upgrade to choice package channels, free Sunday ticket for the entire season, free upgrade to sunday ticket max also, $50 discount every bill for the next 12 months & free HBO for 12 months (no need to call and cancel, it automatically cancels itself).

So my bill will now be $56 a month plus tax & fees for the next 12 months for Choice + Sunday Ticket Max + HBO.

Just be nice on the phone, care about the other human on the other side of the phone. Ask how their day is, try to make them laugh and smile. They can give you whatever discount they want, if you're a dick you'll get nothing. When they tell you something isnt available, its because they just don't want to give it to you. They are authorized ot give these discvounts to everyone they see fit, the person on the phone is the judge. Also, not being a dick is good general life advice.....

Can't justify spending a nickle on this team for years to come. If they are sacrificing the near term for the long, then my money will sit out as well.

So, you're a fan only when they win?

Just called in and asked for a retention specialist right away. Was connected with a very nice lady who called herself a "Loyalty Specialist". I told them I had to cancel because I was paying for a wedding (I am paying for a wedding, but it wouldn't stop me from watching my Bills!).

She put me on hold for a few minutes and this was her offer (which I gladly accepted).

My current contract - $75 a month for select package (Jumps up to $125 a month for Select with SundayTicket Max during season)

Offer - Free upgrade to choice package channels, free Sunday ticket for the entire season, free upgrade to sunday ticket max also, $50 discount every bill for the next 12 months & free HBO for 12 months (no need to call and cancel, it automatically cancels itself).

So my bill will now be $56 a month plus tax & fees for the next 12 months for Choice + Sunday Ticket Max + HBO.

Just be nice on the phone, care about the other human on the other side of the phone. Ask how their day is, try to make them laugh and smile. They can give you whatever discount they want, if you're a dick you'll get nothing. When they tell you something isnt available, its because they just don't want to give it to you. They are authorized ot give these discvounts to everyone they see fit, the person on the phone is the judge. Also, not being a dick is good general life advice.....

Well said...i get big discounts every year doing this

So, you're a fan only when they win.

Dumb, I only support them financially when they are moving toward winning. Yesterday's moves were exactly the opposite for several years. The draft is a crapshoot, most players bust from all rounds. Maybe it works in the volume they are gathering them, but no one will know for years. Between then and now, be prepared to be really awful. Edited by Ohiostyle