Sunday Ticket 2017

Mr Info

Anyone have any luck with getting a deal on ST that wasn't renewing the package? I got DTV in 2015, had the package for that year, and was offered nothing when I cancelled it last year. I was still in a 2 year contract and they had me by the balls and knew it.

I tried to get it half price by saying that I was a Bills STH so it didn't make sense to pay full price for the package when I'm not even home for half the weeks anyway. Got nothing. I was thinking about trying it again, hopefully getting it at half price or maybe the $24.99 x 4 I've seen in here since now I have no contract and can actually threaten to cancel the whole account

you canceled Sunday Ticket last year, but kept DTV, and only been a customer two years. I think you will have a tough time, but worth a shot.

I think you best tactic may be to ask for retention, say because you dropped Sunday Ticket and are out of contract, you are evaluating DirectV Now vs Sling, and you want to see what their best offer is on Now.

Your customer acquisition costs are barely recovered at this point, and your lifetime value as a customer is just starting to get recognized to its potential, and it much, much lower on the Now service. They may throw in the ticket as an incentive to stay on the traditional service if you say that could sway you to stay on the traditional satellite service

Edited by plenzmd1

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you canceled Sunday Ticket last year, but kept DTV, and only been a customer two years. I think you will have a tough time, but worth a shot.

I think you best tactic may be to ask for retention, say because you dropped Sunday Ticket and are out of contract, you are evaluating DirectV Now vs Sling, and you want to see what their best offer is on Now.

Your customer acquisition costs are barely recovered at this point, and your lifetime value as a customer is just starting to get recognized to its potential, and it much, much lower on the Now service. They may throw in the ticket as an incentive to stay on the traditional service if you say that could sway you to stay on the traditional satellite service

I appreciate the advice. That was my basic game plan, saying that I was evaluating my options and exploring cancellation, throwing in Sunday Ticket as something I like but just isnt affordable and then shooting for half price as the most I'd be willing to pay since I won't be home for half the weeks as it is Edited by JM57

Made the annual call, and here's what they gave me;

- $45/mo off DTV bill ($25 forever for bundled cell service and $20 for the next 12 mos. discretionary discount)

- Free HBO forever

- $20 off cell phone bill (switched to AT&T last year)

- $10/mo. off Sunday Ticket payments ($36.99/mo for 6 mos. instead of $46.99)

- Free upgrade to ST Max ($95 value)

- No need to sign contract

Total savings: $75/mo.

Free stuff: HBO and ST Max

I'm a 17 year customer and I remind them of that annually. I believe the retention dept. is now "customer loyalty". I usually get a much better deal on ST, but with the bundled AT&T cell service, they have much more to work with to reduce costs. I'm happy and with ST Max my 2 sons can alternate watching games of their choices while away at college. :thumbsup:

I think Over the Top delivery is scaring the hell out of the traditional providers...

I called a couple of months ago and wanted to upgrade two of DVRs..long story came with about a 30% overall reduction is costs, and man did their tune change when I started yapping about going to just Sling and a firestick.

Customer value on OTT is about a 1/3rd that of the satellite customers...use it to your advantage.

Edited by plenzmd1

AT&T and DirecTV customer

$25 off AT&T for as long as I'm a customer

$45 off DirecTV for 12 months

$17 off DirecTv for 6 months....covers Sunday Ticket Max

Free HBO for as long as I keep AT&T plan

Other movie channels free for 3 months

AT&T and DirecTV customer

$25 off AT&T for as long as I'm a customer

$45 off DirecTV for 12 months

$17 off DirecTv for 6 months....covers Sunday Ticket Max

Free HBO for as long as I keep AT&T plan

Other movie channels free for 3 months

Hmmm...I'm a Verizon/FIOS (internet/phone) guy and I always use the "FIOS/COX in my neighborhood" routine. Seems like the AT&T folks are getting the better deals which is understandable.

I think Over the Top delivery is scaring the hell out of the traditional providers...

I called a couple of months ago and wanted to upgrade two of DVRs..long story came with about a 30% overall reduction is costs, and man did their tune change when I started yapping about going to just Sling and a firestick.

Customer value on OTT is about a 1/3rd that of the satellite customers...use it to your advantage.

If you have the service plan you get new equipment every 2 years

does anyone know if you get the college kid program does the "local programming" stem from the college location or the location of stream? My cousin who is UB student is in Disney program here in Orlando and he will order if we can watch. I though do not want to order and then find out it is blacked out due to his being UB student.

The "college kid" thing only relates to Sunday Ticket.

If you have the service plan you get new equipment every 2 yearsThey sure don't let you know that though. So used their chat box and asked, I'm eligible for:

They sure don't let you know that though. So I for kicks asked in the chat box about it and found out I'm eligible for :

1. Genie upgrade for 4k + 3 (4k) genies
  2. Up to 4 wireless genies
  3. up to 4 mini genies.

I don't have a 4k or looking to get one soon so not sure what I will do plus not sure if I want to give up leverage for two years. I asked the guy in chat if I could extend my $50 off a month for another year and get free Sunday Ticket, he said he could give me $5 off on HBO for 6 months HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I told him thanks but I can do much better than that I'm sure.

They sure don't let you know that though. So I for kicks asked in the chat box about it and found out I'm eligible for :

1. Genie upgrade for 4k + 3 (4k) genies
  2. Up to 4 wireless genies
  3. up to 4 mini genies.

I don't have a 4k or looking to get one soon so not sure what I will do plus not sure if I want to give up leverage for two years. I asked the guy in chat if I could extend my $50 off a month for another year and get free Sunday Ticket, he said he could give me $5 off on HBO for 6 months HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I told him thanks but I can do much better than that I'm sure.

The newest genie will work with any TV. I have the 4K one and it works fine. Don't need a 4K TV..I think model number is HR54, Also, asked to be transferred to customer loyalty dept. One more thing, if you do have the service plan, when you log in it will say you are eligible for equipment upgrade. Good luck

Edited by nucci

I called and got Sunday ticket Max (had originally said just Sunday Ticket) for $99. On the $50 bucks a month off I'm getting they told me to call back between 8/20 and 9/1 as I have one month left on last years deal. Really it was less painful as usual and I have a lot of equipment offers I could get upgraded but leery to do that for a 2 year contract commitment. no leverage then.

PS.... does anyone know if there is a "extra" fee for 4k receivers since thats a "free" option I have.

Edited by Mike in Horseheads

I called and got Sunday ticket for $99. On the $50 bucks a month off I'm getting they told me to call back between 8/20 and 9/1 as I have one month left on last years deal. Really it was less painful as usual and I have a lot of equipment offers I could get upgraded but leery to do that for a 2 year contract commitment. no leverage then.

Did you get ST Max for $99?

Go O's!

Did you get ST Max for $99?

Go O's!

Just regular, I really get it for the couple of Bills games our locals don't show and variety on the late games. Maybe I'll ask for that too when I call back next month.

Sadly O's should be sellers Ned. Started 22-10 and then crap

Edited by Mike in Horseheads

I called and got Sunday ticket for $99. On the $50 bucks a month off I'm getting they told me to call back between 8/20 and 9/1 as I have one month left on last years deal. Really it was less painful as usual and I have a lot of equipment offers I could get upgraded but leery to do that for a 2 year contract commitment. no leverage then.

PS.... does anyone know if there is a "extra" fee for 4k receivers since thats a "free" option I have.

It shouldn't be, unless you're adding a receiver. They replaced my mini genie with the 4k mini for free. (and forgot to take the old receiver with them). You do have to have the "Ultimate" package iirc. Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

Did you talk to loyalty dept or just a regular doofus? My 50 buck discount ends with the current bill, maybe now is the time to call.

Did you talk to loyalty dept or just a regular doofus? My 50 buck discount ends with the current bill, maybe now is the time to call.

NG.... bitched yesterday in a chat box about why I was paying for a plan that never gives me updates like it was sold. I got that figured out and then said I'm off contract next month so what can I do about that. Then had todays conversation, this is the number they had me call 800-824-9081. I had a pin but says if u don't push two, I'd call now!

DTV isn't doing people who drop the Ticket any services when they sign back up from what I heard.

$99.00 one time payment for NFL Sunday Ticket Max. All you have to do is stick with it and keep asking. Customer Retention is the byway to go. If you've had troubles explain them showing modest frustration and be polite as you can.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

You build credits in to your account all year long. I call once a year to get credits and end up with Sunday Ticket Max free along with some other stuff. Talk to an agent and then get transferred to customer loyalty to finish the rest. I never understood complaining and threatening to cancel. I just ask for discounts and always get them

I called today. Didn't get as good of a deal as some of you, but here it is, and I am happy:

1) $60 per month off my total bill for the next 12 months

2) Free showtime channels for the next 4 months

3) $17 off per month on Sunday Ticket

Edited by JR in Pittsburgh

I called today. Didn't get as good of a deal as some of you, but here it is, and I am happy:

question is what is your monthly bill?

Over 10 years of service.

Discounted or Free HBO, Show, CINEMAX, STARZ, Encore, etc etc etc and a sports package every 6 months. Total cost $163 / mo (includes 1 Genie DVR and 2 remote boxes).

NFL Ticket MAX broken down = $24 a month for 4 months.

teach me your ways.

My contract is up too so hoping for a deal but got the runaround last time I called. Someone from retention was supposed to call me in 8-10 business days and never did.

holy smokes, you get $720 off and you say that sucks??? am I missing something?

That's free Sunday Ticket......that's a good thing

teach me your ways.

My contract is up too so hoping for a deal but got the runaround last time I called. Someone from retention was supposed to call me in 8-10 business days and never did.

Don't wait for them. After you talk to an agent ask to be transferred to customer loyalty (new name)

I called and they said they had no promotions to offer me, then checked again and said they could offer $10 off/mo for ST. They said they had no other DTV promos to offer. They gave me $15/mo off of internet. This was after I threatened to cancel too, and it was a Customer Loyalty rep. When I mentioned canceling because I could find cheaper service she told me just to let her the know the date and she would tell me where to send my equipment :angry:

The part I'm most pissed about is even with those discounts I'm paying more than I did last year. I had a $50/month credit and it was for 12 months and just expired.

Edited by YoloinOhio

teach me your ways.

you ask then wait on the phone -silly

holy smokes, you get $720 off and you say that sucks??? am I missing something?

yeah, he was probably paying well over $200/mo

I called and they said they had no promotions to offer me, then checked again and said they could offer $10 off/mo for ST. They said they had no other DTV promos to offer. They gave me $15/mo off of internet. This was after I threatened to cancel too, and it was a Customer Loyalty rep. When I mentioned canceling because I could find cheaper service she told me just to let her the know the date and she would tell me where to send my equipment :angry:

The part I'm most pissed about is even with those discounts I'm paying more than I did last year. I had a $50/month credit and it was for 12 months and just expired.

The Level 1 and Level 2nd tier offer little. You need to advance to Level 3.

Customer Retention or Customer Loyalty

Did you ask them for those discounts again?

They run out you ask for them back.

you ask then wait on the phone -silly

yeah, he was probably paying well over $200/mo

The Level 1 and Level 2nd tier offer little. You need to advance to Level 3.

Customer Retention or Customer Loyalty

Did you ask them for those discounts again?

They run out you ask for them back.

i was talking to customer loyalty - and I asked for the discount I had previously and was denied. Btw I was very nice and said I was going to price other services and probably cancel (in the nicest possible way)

I called DirecTV a year and a half ago because I was just fed up with paying $140 or whatever it was per month for TV. Had no premium channels, no Sunday Ticket or anything. Just a Choice Extra package that I had originally signed up for 9 years ago or so.

I had actually been doing research into all of the new streaming TV options out there instead of sticking with DirecTV any longer anyway, so I figured I had nothing to lose by demanding the world to stay with them. I had basically already decided to leave DirecTV for PlayStation Vue anyway (for just $34.95 per month). Vue offered every channel I ever watched on DirecTV for $100 less, but since it was a fairly new technology, I figured I would at least see what DirecTV would offer me to stay.

Anyway, long story short, I went straight to the Retention department and told them I was leaving and they offered me like $20 off my bill a month and some free movie channels for 3 months. I told them to cancel my service somewhat expecting them to offer more. They didn't and I cancelled on the spot. Signed up for PlayStation Vue and have never looked back. VERY HAPPY.

Point of the story..... No more than a week after cancelling DirecTV, I started getting mailers (and I am still getting them sometimes 2-3 days per week) BEGGING me to come back. They are offering free Sunday Ticket and New Customer pricing! They keep telling me that they want to reward me for being a loyal customer. Now, if they would have offered this to me in the first place, i probably would have stayed, but they didn't and I don't miss it at all. So, if you really want to stick with DirecTV but they aren't budging on pricing......if you are willing to risk it and can live without DirecTV for a week or 2, you will probably get the same offers to come back that I did in the mail very soon after you cancel. You will get your free Sunday Ticket and new customer pricing for taking the chance and cancelling. However, I won't be going back anyway because I am getting just as good of TV with streaming TV.

With my Roku, I pay $34.95 per month for Playstation Vue and get every channel I watched on DirecTV except for 1 (no additional fees, either.....just the flat rate), and then $10 each or whatever for Netflix and Hulu. So, for $55 per month, I have more options than DirecTV could ever offer. I do add on the NHL Center Ice package for Sabres games and all the other games as well, but that's it. So, paying less than half of what I did to DirecTV and have tons more options. Best decision I have ever made.

I could add Sunday Ticket through the Roku as well, but at this point, I haven't done it, but it is available. I know this wasn't exactly on topic, but it might give a few of you out there some food for thought.

I called DirecTV a year and a half ago because I was just fed up with paying $140 or whatever it was per month for TV. Had no premium channels, no Sunday Ticket or anything. Just a Choice Extra package that I had originally signed up for 9 years ago or so.

I had actually been doing research into all of the new streaming TV options out there instead of sticking with DirecTV any longer anyway, so I figured I had nothing to lose by demanding the world to stay with them. I had basically already decided to leave DirecTV for PlayStation Vue anyway (for just $34.95 per month). Vue offered every channel I ever watched on DirecTV for $100 less, but since it was a fairly new technology, I figured I would at least see what DirecTV would offer me to stay.

Anyway, long story short, I went straight to the Retention department and told them I was leaving and they offered me like $20 off my bill a month and some free movie channels for 3 months. I told them to cancel my service somewhat expecting them to offer more. They didn't and I cancelled on the spot. Signed up for PlayStation Vue and have never looked back. VERY HAPPY.

Point of the story..... No more than a week after cancelling DirecTV, I started getting mailers (and I am still getting them sometimes 2-3 days per week) BEGGING me to come back. They are offering free Sunday Ticket and New Customer pricing! They keep telling me that they want to reward me for being a loyal customer. Now, if they would have offered this to me in the first place, i probably would have stayed, but they didn't and I don't miss it at all. So, if you really want to stick with DirecTV but they aren't budging on pricing......if you are willing to risk it and can live without DirecTV for a week or 2, you will probably get the same offers to come back that I did in the mail very soon after you cancel. You will get your free Sunday Ticket and new customer pricing for taking the chance and cancelling. However, I won't be going back anyway because I am getting just as good of TV with streaming TV.

With my Roku, I pay $34.95 per month for Playstation Vue and get every channel I watched on DirecTV except for 1 (no additional fees, either.....just the flat rate), and then $10 each or whatever for Netflix and Hulu. So, for $55 per month, I have more options than DirecTV could ever offer. I do add on the NHL Center Ice package for Sabres games and all the other games as well, but that's it. So, paying less than half of what I did to DirecTV and have tons more options. Best decision I have ever made.

I could add Sunday Ticket through the Roku as well, but at this point, I haven't done it, but it is available. I know this wasn't exactly on topic, but it might give a few of you out there some food for thought.

Good stuff, always nice to have options...thanks

I thought Sunday Ticket was exclusive to DirecTV. Is it a live stream of the game or do you have to wait until the Sunday day games are over?

I thought Sunday Ticket was exclusive to DirecTV. Is it a live stream of the game or do you have to wait until the Sunday day games are over?

there are ways to hack a rocu or fire stick or other boxes to get access to streams that are provided on the internet. Now ig=f you like hunting around to find a stream that works, dealing with stream going down during the game and hunting again or lousy picture quality go for it. Personally I want to know ahead of time what channel game is on, tune to channel at game time and have a nice HD picture the entire game along with my video synched up to my sirius radio play by play feed with Murph and Kelso.

Looks like you have to have a DTV account and subscription to Sunday Ticket...

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/63772/nfl-sunday-ticket#read-more

Note: NFL SUNDAY TICKET is available for customers in U.S. territories only. A directv.com account and DIRECTV NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX or NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV subscription are required to watch live video.

Well, there are two ways to get (semi)legitimate live NFL Sunday Ticket games to online devices (i.e. computer, phone, tablet, probably Roku though I haven't tried - just not "direct" to your TV):

1. VPN through a non-US country. You can sign up and pay but you have to log in each week while connected to the VPN coming from a non-US.

a, I first signed up while deployed, and was auto-renewed. Found out that although I'd been charged (albeit at a returning customer discount) I couldn't watch! VPN through Canada et voila!

b. Once you've logged in and have the game list, you can disconnect from the VPN. If the VPN is any good and allows high data rates, it's easier to just stay connected. However, if your VPN is limiting your data rate, you can disconnect after logging in and selecting you game.

c. The quality is as good or better than watching the games via most cable providers if your Internet access is good enough. At the highest data rates, it definitely equals or exceeds the HD quality of cable with all the compression they add. Nothing beats over the air HD of course.

2. Sign up after verifying you are a student at a college/university.

a. Cheaper than purchasing from non-US live or in US NFL Replay

b. They ask for your school, name, and birthdate online to instantly verify you are a student.

c. You do NOT have to use (or have) a school email.

d. the credit card does NOT have to be the name of the student

e. I don't know how the verification works. I signed my daughter up this way with her legit school and her name/birth date and the web site said good to go, then proceeded to ask me for an email address to use, and payment information.

f. She is signed up now, but I haven't used this one yet, so can't vouch for quality. However you can pay $99 for NFL GamePass or $149 for GamePass plus the replay options.

Well, there are two ways to get (semi)legitimate live NFL Sunday Ticket games to online devices (i.e. computer, phone, tablet, probably Roku though I haven't tried - just not "direct" to your TV):

1. VPN through a non-US country. You can sign up and pay but you have to log in each week while connected to the VPN coming from a non-US.

a, I first signed up while deployed, and was auto-renewed. Found out that although I'd been charged (albeit at a returning customer discount) I couldn't watch! VPN through Canada et voila!

b. Once you've logged in and have the game list, you can disconnect from the VPN. If the VPN is any good and allows high data rates, it's easier to just stay connected. However, if your VPN is limiting your data rate, you can disconnect after logging in and selecting you game.

c. The quality is as good or better than watching the games via most cable providers if your Internet access is good enough. At the highest data rates, it definitely equals or exceeds the HD quality of cable with all the compression they add. Nothing beats over the air HD of course.

Just a heads up: I did the same thing last year, and used a Chromecast to watch on TV, but I think this may not work anymore. I was checking a couple of weeks ago, and my Game Pass apk no longer worked, even with VPN. I assume that the tech department of the NFL got wise to this "work around", and have taken measures to prevent fans in the US from doing this. The way it looks now is the league will be utilizing NFL Mobile for it's live streams in the US, with local games being the only ones you can watch live. It requires you to have your location settings turned on for use. I'll check more thoroughly after work, but I suggest that those of you that planned on doing this method to watch games check into it well before the season starts.

*Edit, there's a new apk available, but the league is still working on it, so the only way to access Game Pass currently is via the site, but I couldn't get it to cast to the TV. Still works with VPN.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat