Nate Peterman - weak arm? I don't think so!

FWIW, I liked the Peterman pick where it was. I was kind of hoping for Josh Dobbs to be that guy but he went 36 picks before. That is an important role and one that the Bills need. If Peterman is here for 4 years and ends up starting 10 games (as an example) it's great value for a 5th round QB. If he can be .500 he will land a NICE 2nd contract.

Man, there were games where Dobbs looked like he shouldn't even be drafted. I'm not a big fan of his but going to Pittsburgh will be great for him.

Peterman is the opposite of Jones and I think it's a solid pick. If he turns out to be a backup, it's a good pick. I think if Trent didn't have to play right away, he could have been a top backup.

That said, we are mostly likely picking a qb next year. And like you, I'm on the Rosen bandwagon. I also like Rudolph too.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's officially the offseason when we declare a later round, average talent qb is comparable to Brady or Montana. Trent Edwards loves this comparison. :)

And I'd love for you to be right!

That's every season, forgive us for hoping to get lucky.

Yeah, but his career went a lot farther because of Gailey. He should've never lasted this long, honestly.

Hardly "honestly" since you have posted multiple times you thought Fritzpatrick was not a good QB but plenty of teams signed him.

Brady has a very strong arm now...there are ways to increase arm strength via exercises/workout regimens

HGH help too but Br*dy would never do that - that is cheating!

That highlight video showed me NP throws as hard as he needs to throw. Soft/hard depending on situation. There were more than a few bullets in that video, and plenty of Soft (catchable and on target) throws too. His arm strength does not seem an issue to me. I'm excited for the kid. Great pocket awareness is what I see most.

That highlight video showed me NP throws as hard as he needs to throw. Soft/hard depending on situation. There were more than a few bullets in that video, and plenty of Soft (catchable and on target) throws too. His arm strength does not seem an issue to me. I'm excited for the kid. Great pocket awareness is what I see most.

I think that is why they like him.

Good pickup IMO

Throw in a few F5's and this is golden.

No comprendo. F5's are reserved for high profile free agents. What do you mean?

Sorry, probably wrong thread. It was my inner 5th grader reading Soft/hard, bullets, arm strength, pocket awareness... Peterman.

I'll try to keep it in the Jeremy Maclin Cookbook thread in the future.

There are a lot of comments about Peterman having a noodle arm - accurate, yes, but weak. The consensus is that with less than stellar arm strength he can only progress so far; like back up QB or maybe a borderline starter, with the club necessarily always on the lookout for a better guy who can really get the ball out the way it should be - with plenty of zip.

I have watched a ton of Peterman highlights and have always wondered what those naysayers were talking about. In the highlights that I've watched I have seen a lot of 35-45 yarders with what seemed to me to have a good deal of power behind them, and one that was exactly 50 yards, right on the money. I was trying to find that one so I could post it here for all the doubters, but instead found this one. Go to Nate Peterman 2015 Highlights - YouTube and you'll see at the 12:05 mark, a 53 yard toss, from the opponent 45 to his 2, right on the money for a TD, with a 1 step-up delivery.

Have a look and then tell me that he'll be limited by his weak arm. You might check out the entire tape to see a lot of excellent throws.

There are many things about Peterman to get excited about. But if he had a strong arm, he doesn't make it out of the first round

Agreed. And congrats for McCarron for being the new super overrated backup qb title holder. And Thise are two guys who won't have close to career of Fitz. Neither will Peterman or Jones.

More definitive statements that show a lack of respect for the unknown...that's exactly what we are talking here. You just don't know how any of These guys careers will go.

And the true irony here is you are claiming Peterman can't surpass Tyrod, but by your logic, Tyrod would have been given no chance of having a career like Fitz either.

Do you see how silly these statements are?

More definitive statements that show a lack of respect for the unknown...that's exactly what we are talking here. You just don't know how any of These guys careers will go.

And the true irony here is you are claiming Peterman can't surpass Tyrod, but by your logic, Tyrod would have been given no chance of having a career like Fitz either.

Do you see how silly these statements are?

Well stated, Crusher. I don't understand how anyone writes someone off before they even had a camp. Apparently knowing more than the GM that drafted them is why we get blessed by some people's proclamations of future and eminent failure.

I'm going to go out on a limb and disagree with you on both McCarron and Peterman.

with all due respect

same here. I think McCarron and Peterman are likely to be better QB's than Alex Smith. Who has "game managed" into playoffs, unlike TT.

same here. I think McCarron and Peterman are likely to be better QB's than Alex Smith. Who has "game managed" into playoffs, unlike TT.

I'd bet anything that Alex Smith finishes his career with more yards, wins, TDs, starts, & completions than those guys combined. So I'm not sure how you are defining "likely to be better?"

I'd bet anything that Alex Smith finishes his career with more yards, wins, TDs, starts, & completions than those guys combined. So I'm not sure how you are defining "likely to be better?"

A Smith catches allot of grief for his game management skills , but the man wins allot of football games,

so I'm not taking that bet Kirby.

He has functional arm strength. The comparison I have of Peterman is to Chad Pennington before the multiple shoulder surgeries. When he came out of Marshall he was incredibly accurate, but didn't have the strongest of arms. He was successful due to the fact he was smart, could read the defense, then make an on time and accurate throw. He had enough arm strength to be a successful QB, but he was no Ben Ro or anything. The surgeries sapped what arm strength he had therefore shortening his career, but he was on his way to being a star beforehand.

Would love to have Pennington. and i think this is the best comparison.

A Smith catches allot of grief for his game management skills , but the man wins allot of football games,

so I'm not taking that bet Kirby.

Those guys would have to combine for 10+ 3,000 passing seasons!! He will likely end up top 35 all-time in yards. So we are predicting that 2 backup QBs drafted in the 5th round are likely to throw for more yards than all but 34 players ever!! That feels like hyperbole to me...

Hey, I'd love to see Peterman have a Fitz career. But Fitz has thrown 166 tds and for 25,000 yards in his career. I'd bet most new qbs don't come close to those numbers.

Fitz wasn't good enough but he had a career most qbs won't ever sniff,

Yes. 166 tds and 133 picks. Many of those in crunch time. Let's not over value Fitz. He was what he was. A backup qb

It really speaks more to your poor ability to judge a QB!! There's ZERO chance of that happening. Peterman is a smart, back-up type. His ceiling is probably below where Tyrod is right now. That doesn't mean he's useless but he will never be better than a game managing QB.

And your credentials to judge a QB?

Who's Tyler Boyd? That guy was catching everything in that video.

Would love to have Pennington. and i think this is the best comparison.

Peterman looks a whole lot more mobile than Pennington from what I remember of Chad.

We should all be hoping that this kid somehow beats out Taylor this pre-season for the starting job. Not because I don't like Taylor. Just the opposite in fact. We know Taylor at worst is going to play at an average starter level maybe even a bit better than average. If Peterman can win the job that would mean Peterman is playing very well. It would be our own Russell Wilson/Dak Prescott type situation.

We are all entitled to our opinions. Do you really believe that he is competing for the starting job??? I hope that he's great but just don't see it happening. I'm not as down on him as Blokes but he's not more than a number 2. It's Tyrod taking the step or 2018 first rounder (Rosen would be my guess at this point).

Nothing is certain, I guess you're right but the odds are very long IMO. I also think that he never gets the chance. TT is the QB of the near future and if he doesn't get it done they are drafting one in 2018. There isn't an opportunity for Peterman.

I say even if Tyord takes that step pull the trigger on your qb next year too. That whole Brees vs Rivers situation they had in SD a while ago is a nice position to be in. Would be a nice change in pace

What I see in Peterman is a QB that utilizes the entire field, has good accuracy and ball placement, good footwork, goes through his progressions and has just about every pass in the route tree in his repertoire. The biggest question is, other then his arm strength, has he already reached his full potential and, if so, why didn't he have better numbers in college?

IF he can increase his arm strength he can be one helluva QB. That's a big if. As it stands now those passes can easily turn into picks at the pro level.

The argument that doesn't hold water is when he was drafted. We've seen plenty of guys, at all positions, get drafted too late for one reason or another. Romo, Brady, Wilson and most recently Prescott come to mind.

Tyrod will be our starter barring injury this year. Many have correctly pointed out this is his 7th season, but let's not forget he only started two of them. He still has room to grow. IF he can somehow learn how to see the entire field and start throwing over the middle he can be damn good, borderline elite. He already presents a difficult challenge to defenses being the dual threat that he is with his rushing and throwing ability.

The only way Peterman surpasses a healthy Tyrod on the depth chart is if Taylor continues to miss wide open WRs and TEs. That had to drive the FO crazy after reviewing game film and why they were allegedly so down on him. It drives me crazy too. That can get TT pulled. If our running game remains elite and Taylor can't take advantage of those benefits then Nathan can get an early opportunity to start. Running this offense with that running game should make QBing real easy. Even for a "5th round" rookie.

Edited by Justice

I don't know where to begin and really don't feel like responding but I will. Your dislike for Tyrod is inflating your perception of Peterman. Take the name Tyrod out and insert Tannehill (who Tyrod has outperformed the last 2 years). Do you think that if we were Miami Peterman would be competing with Tannehill for the job?

Tannehill is not that special so yes, I could see Peterman potentially competing with him just like he potentially can with Taylor. Putting it another way, both Taylor and Tannehill are QBs who are or should be on the hot seat. They have shown flashes but need to show more. And time is running out for both because they are no longer young QB's, both can be considered veterans at this point.

It really speaks more to your poor ability to judge a QB!! There's ZERO chance of that happening. Peterman is a smart, back-up type. His ceiling is probably below where Tyrod is right now. That doesn't mean he's useless but he will never be better than a game managing QB.

Funny how people confuse facts with opinions. And assume that people will never make big jumps upwards or regressions downwards.

Edited by Thurman#1

He has functional arm strength. The comparison I have of Peterman is to Chad Pennington before the multiple shoulder surgeries. When he came out of Marshall he was incredibly accurate, but didn't have the strongest of arms. He was successful due to the fact he was smart, could read the defense, then make an on time and accurate throw. He had enough arm strength to be a successful QB, but he was no Ben Ro or anything. The surgeries sapped what arm strength he had therefore shortening his career, but he was on his way to being a star beforehand.

Pennington wasn't on his way to being a star. He was already there before those surgeries.

"Pennington was inserted into the starting lineup in 2002. The Jets were 1-3. Vinny Testaverde was looking his age. Things looked bleak. All Pennington did was win 8 of his 12 starts that year and lead the Jets to the AFC East title. While doing it, he led the league in completion percentage, quarterback rating, and touchdown rate while posting the second lowest interception rating in the league and the second highest yards per pass attempt rate.

"The numbers partially describe how great Pennington was before he got hurt. Before that fateful game in Buffalo, he had completed 65.7% of passes in his career. He had 49 touchdowns against 22 interceptions. He had a 94.7 rating. And his team had won 19 of his 30 starts. He was averaging 7.3 yards per attempt in a span where that put you in the top five in the league. When Pennington got hurt in 2004, he was completing 68.2% of his passes with 8 touchdowns, 2 interceptions, and a 99.1 rating. The Jets were 6-1 at the time.

"The numbers do not tell the whole story, however. It wasn't just about them.

"Everybody remembers how the Patriots won three of four Super Bowls from 2001 to 2004. Not many remember what happened the one year in that stretch when they did not go all the way. The Jets came to Foxborough Week 16. The Pats, Jets, and Dolphins were in a tight race for the AFC East title. A Patriots win would have eliminated the Jets and left New England in control of its own destiny. A Jets win kept Gang Green alive and put New England in deep trouble.

"Pennington lit up Bill Belichick's defense that night to the tune of 22 for 33 for 286 yards, 3 touchdowns, and no interceptions. Tom Brady was 19 for 37 with 133 yards, 1 touchdown, and 1 interception. In the middle of the Patriots dynasty, Pennington went up to Foxborough in a huge spot, outplayed Brady, and carried the Jets to a win."

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/3/27/4154264/new-york-jets-what-if-wednesday-what-if-chad-pennington-hadnt-gotten

People forget how very very good he was.

Edited by Thurman#1

I haven't read through the entire thread and not sure if it has been brought up or not but...

Peterman's velocity at the combine was higher than Taylors (53 mph vs 50). Taylor can of course throw a nice deep ball but he too often doesn't get enough zip on his throws imo. If Peterman can anticpate throws and read defenses better than Taylor (not setting the bar high there), then he could end up finding some success I think.

Edited by Mikie's Bills

Funny how people confuse facts with opinions. And assume that people will never make big jumps upwards or regressions downwards.

It's an opinion but I'd be happy to wager that Peterman never has 2 seasons in the top 9 in QBR and never leads 2 top 10 scoring offenses. Those are the facts that I've used to form that opinion.

We can say that anything is possible. EJ Manuel MIGHT be the MVP of the NFL this year. I wouldn't say that it's likely but it's possible. If you want to die on that hill go for it.

Pennington wasn't on his way to being a star. He was already there before those surgeries.

"Pennington was inserted into the starting lineup in 2002. The Jets were 1-3. Vinny Testaverde was looking his age. Things looked bleak. All Pennington did was win 8 of his 12 starts that year and lead the Jets to the AFC East title. While doing it, he led the league in completion percentage, quarterback rating, and touchdown rate while posting the second lowest interception rating in the league and the second highest yards per pass attempt rate.

"The numbers partially describe how great Pennington was before he got hurt. Before that fateful game in Buffalo, he had completed 65.7% of passes in his career. He had 49 touchdowns against 22 interceptions. He had a 94.7 rating. And his team had won 19 of his 30 starts. He was averaging 7.3 yards per attempt in a span where that put you in the top five in the league. When Pennington got hurt in 2004, he was completing 68.2% of his passes with 8 touchdowns, 2 interceptions, and a 99.1 rating. The Jets were 6-1 at the time.

"Everybody remembers how the Patriots won three of four Super Bowls from 2001 to 2004. Not many remember what happened the one year in that stretch when they did not go all the way. The Jets came to Foxborough Week 16. The Pats, Jets, and Dolphins were in a tight race for the AFC East title. A Patriots win would have eliminated the Jets and left New England in control of its own destiny. A Jets win kept Gang Green alive and put New England in deep trouble.

"Pennington lit up Bill Belichick's defense that night to the tune of 22 for 33 for 286 yards, 3 touchdowns, and no interceptions. Tom Brady was 19 for 37 with 133 yards, 1 touchdown, and 1 interception. In the middle of the Patriots dynasty, Pennington went up to Foxborough in a huge spot, outplayed Brady, and carried the Jets to a win."

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/3/27/4154264/new-york-jets-what-if-wednesday-what-if-chad-pennington-hadnt-gotten

He was also a 1st round pick who was expected to be very good. Being a 1st round pick guaranteed that he was going to get an opportunity to start. That opportunity isn't available to Peterman barring an injury. If Taylor is the guy he comes back (and they still may take QB in the 1st). If he fails the Bills aren't going to let QBs go by with their 1st's in 2018.

Brady was a 6th rd pick and Romo a UDFA , so Peterman and Cardale might still have a chance

And so were like 100 other QBs since then. There's a chance but a small one. Why do we always focus on the couple of outliers but never say, "Levi Brown was a later round pick. Let's see what happen?"

And so were like 100 other QBs since then. There's a chance but a small one. Why do we always focus on the couple of outliers but never say, "Levi Brown was a later round pick. Let's see what happen?"

Or Trent Edwards or Jeff Tuel or Logan Thomas and so on and so on.

I think it's because draft pundits threw out the term "most pro ready" when describing Peterman. Fans are caught up on that. I mean obviously big things will happen when the most pro ready QB in the draft isn't selected until the 5th round.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

"Everybody remembers how the Patriots won three of four Super Bowls from 2001 to 2004. Not many remember what happened the one year in that stretch when they did not go all the way. The Jets came to Foxborough Week 16. The Pats, Jets, and Dolphins were in a tight race for the AFC East title. A Patriots win would have eliminated the Jets and left New England in control of its own destiny. A Jets win kept Gang Green alive and put New England in deep trouble.[/size]

Looking at Brady's* numbers is telling me maybe the Jets defense had a lot to do with that win as well?

And I'm not trying to take credit away from Pennington ,