Tyrod: Sammy has "matured"....has a "new mindset"

I still think back to that dirty knee to the ribs, preseason rookie year I think. That made this NBA "close out" argument look like sneezing near someone else. And some of the close out stuff is real. That was dirty, but I don't remember who did it. If my memory is correct, I hope he's out of the league.

Shazier

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That in absolutely no way is how you define a bust.

If he fails to produce at a high level this year (for whatever reason), how would you describe his four year career in Buffalo? It was an interesting comment by Taylor re: maturity (past examples of unwise decisions have been cited on this thread).

The Bills paid dearly to trade up for Watkins (not debating the wisdom here-- it has been done to death), so I think it is fair to expect elite production.

If he fails to produce at a high level this year (for whatever reason), how would you describe his four year career in Buffalo? It was an interesting comment by Taylor re: maturity (past examples of unwise decisions have been cited on this thread).

The Bills paid dearly to trade up for Watkins (not debating the wisdom here-- it has been done to death), so I think it is fair to expect elite production.

He produces at a high level every time he takes the field. He has been unfortunately hit with injuries. Not the Bills fault or Watkins fault. It is what it is. But its worth saying again, he is an elite force whenever he takes the field.

Edited by What a Tuel

His new, mature outlook is "I need to have the best season of my career, present myself as a team player, and the consummate professional so I can sign a huge free agent contract with a winning organization".

Players attitudes always change in last year of contract unless they are being overpaid on a franchise tag like Byrd.

Byrd was underpaid on the franchise tag. He got offered more the next year by the Bills and signed for more still with the Saints. And whatever happened to him in New Orleans, not one person involved with the Bills has ever questioned the guy's attitude, in his last year here or any other time, not one.

Plenty did on the boards, but that's just what happens when you take more money elsewhere. Fans don't like that.

As for the thing about Sammy, I guess it's good. I think he's always had a good attitude and am not sure how any of this will affect his ability to stay healthy, which has been his problem. Certainly not a bad thing but his success will come down to his health rather than his attitude.

His snap to release is because he can do it.....defenses are terrified of losing contain and breaking lose in their secondary.

We are moving into a new offense which might require him to have to get the ball out sooner in a WCO.......this year is gonna tell us a lot

His snap to release is also because he won't / can't make anticipatory throws, and that he has a tendency to leave even clean pockets and spend a couple of seconds running towards the sidelines.

Agreed that this year will tell us a lot.

Sammy didn't need a new mindset... I think he needed a pair of new cleats... Perhaps a new playbook... It's TT who's mind wasn't right...

Doesn't need a new mindset? WTF? Obviously you don't watch the games. In overtime against Miami, he ran out of bounds a couple of yards short of the first down so he would have to take a hit. You don't think anything was wrong with that?

Doesn't need a new mindset? WTF? Obviously you don't watch the games. In overtime against Miami, he ran out of bounds a couple of yards short of the first down so he would have to take a hit. You don't think anything was wrong with that?

Pretty sure that isn't at all what happened. Was 154 yards 1 td not good enough for you?

Sammy is 2 first round picks that because of injuries he has played like a 4th rounder. He has to stay healthy to improve. If we get half of what we should from his pick position I will be pleased

Played like a 4th rounder? Jesus this board sometimes. Granted he was injured, but he plays like an elite receiver whenever he is on the field.

I have matured in my job over the years, too. This is expected. That being said, I don't think Sammy's maturity ever limited him as much as his offensive coordinator, coach, QB, health and surrounding cast has. This is a fluff piece.

So you are saying it is everyone's fault beside Sammy. Have you put in an application to be on his posse?

I have matured in my job over the years, too. This is expected. That being said, I don't think Sammy's maturity ever limited him as much as his offensive coordinator, coach, QB, health and surrounding cast has. This is a fluff piece.

Your post certainly is accurate. I disagree this being a fluff piece. This time of year QB in the league are having camps and certainly trying too get on the same page with the receivers. Sammy IMO has never been deadwood. He complained last season about no discipline on the team. some of the accusations against this guy are laughable. A new coordinator puts all these players back learning the nuances of the OC's scheme.

As for him being in a contract year and will go balls out just for the $$$$$. If not for injuries he goes balls out everytime he is on the field. If any one has film of #14 taking plays off post them up If he becomes a free agent. starting with his agent saying he will not sign a tag. At least trade him for anything. Look for a team to pay dearly for a player with elite skills and with the right team, & QB he will light it up. I don't see the Bills making a big push to resign him.

Edited by Best Player Available

You know.....I agree with this

Would really like to see Sammy do the right thing (which often times is to just not do anything noticable) when the chips are down.

Social Media is not his friend

Thanks, I appreciate you taking my comment as intended. I really do hope Sammy has matured, for his own sake. But I'm too old to take it as fact without first seeing what adversity reveals.

Sammy is 2 first round picks that because of injuries he has played like a 4th rounder. He has to stay healthy to improve. If we get half of what we should from his pick position I will be pleased

This simply is not true.

Good health = Watkins' production.

@ChrisTrapasso

Obv harder to maintain yds/target avg with more targets, but: Odell Beckham yds/tgt avg (457 tgts) = 9.0 Sammy Watkins (276 tgts) = 8.9

Through 276 targets in the NFL, yards per target average: Odell Beckham Jr - 9.4 Sammy Watkins - 8.9

Sammy Watkins yds/tgt by year - 7.87 / 10.9 / 8.2 Odell Beckham Jr. yds/tgt by year - 10.0 / 9.1 / 8.08

Pretty sure that isn't at all what happened. Was 154 yards 1 td not good enough for you?

Played like a 4th rounder? Jesus this board sometimes. Granted he was injured, but he plays like an elite receiver whenever he is on the field.

That's exactly what happened!! Do you actually watch these games?? When the game matter the most, he quit. At 4:16 in OT he steps out of bounds to avoid a hit instead of fighting for every foot. I don't care how many yards he had, TT had lead the Bills offense to 581 yards until that point, it obviously wasn't enough to win. But the difference between TT and your precious Sammy, is that TT never quits!!! Sammy has all the talent in the world, but no heart.

Nope.

Ok ex-BBMB'er.... Watch it yourself.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw85u5Q8NM0

Sammy had a pretty good outing that day, -And I'm no Sammy Loyalist... Start at about 2:17 of OT and go to about 2:26... Then preach your b#llsh*t about Sammy needing a new mindset...

After that go from about 2:28 of OT to right about 2:30.58 where Clay converts a nice 3rd and 8... If you watch the rest, Sammy has 3 defendders bearing down on him... Only a moron doesn't skip out of bounds at that point....

Oh look!.. -Another low, poorly thrown ball at around 2:32 from Tyrod... -Batted by Suh.... Guess that was Sammy's fault too... Lord, I wish BBMB would start back up...

Edited by #34fan

Ok ex-BBMB'er.... Watch it yourself.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw85u5Q8NM0

Sammy had a pretty good outing that day, -And I'm no Sammy Loyalist... Start at about 2:17 of OT and go to about 2:26... Then preach your b#llsh*t about Sammy needing a new mindset...

After that go from about 2:28 of OT to right about 2:30.58 where Clay converts a nice 3rd and 8... If you watch the rest, Sammy has 3 defendders bearing down on him... Only a moron doesn't skip out of bounds at that point....

Oh look!.. -Another low, poorly thrown ball at around 2:32 from Tyrod... -Batted by Suh.... Guess that was Sammy's fault too... Lord, I wish BBMB would start back up...

Two things dumb assss!

Take a look at 4:16 left in overtime. Only a self serving primadonna steps out of bounds in that situation. No Patriot would step out of bounds under the same circumstances, or they would be looking for another job. The game often comes down to inches, he could have easily dove forward and gained a couple yards without getting hit hard. Other receivers do it all the time. Again, he did not have a first down, and it was overtime.

And another thing smart asss. Take a look how long i have been here, you stupid !@#$!!!I I have never been to BBMB

Who are you, Sammy's agent???

Edited by OldNMBillsFan

As much as I hate to say it, Sammy is in danger as going down as a forgotten asterisk in Bills lore. I'm hoping against hope that he 'brings it' this year.

It's a double edged sword. If he plays well he may bolt for greener pastures. If he plays poorly people are going to look back and lament a kid who lots of 'potential'.

I am fine with the comment.

and i do not care what motivates him.

I actually want Bills to pay him. Just as soon as he earns it.

and how a comment on Watkins maturity turns into another TT critique is really a waste of reading time.
We have plenty of Tyrod treads for ax grinding.

I stopped reading most of them.

I am fine with the comment.

and i do not care what motivates him.

I actually want Bills to pay him. Just as soon as he earns it.

and how a comment on Watkins maturity turns into another TT critique is really a waste of reading time.

We have plenty of Tyrod treads for ax grinding.

I stopped reading most of them.

found a lot of that with this board lately.

as did I...

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973