Bills Hiring Joe Schoen as Asst. GM

Dolphins stink worse than us

Last I heard, they went to the playoffs. They also drafted a RB that ran for nearly 500 yards agains us, got a Pro bowl WR the year we traded a 1st rd pick for a WR that is often hurt, and are building a competitive team. So, there is that.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last I heard, they went to the playoffs. They also drafted a RB that ran for nearly 500 yards agains us, got a Pro bowl WR the year we traded a 1st rd pick for a WR that is often hurt, and are building a competitive team. So, there is that.

they have drafted pretty well imo. I hate Jarvis Landry but he's damn good and got him in the 2nd. Ajayi in the 5th. Having the insight to take Tunsil as he was falling last year by doing quick research on his situation as it was unfolding. Just a few examples.

If the Bills hung onto two leads, we would have been the WC, not them.

Good teams find a way to win and bad teams find a way to lose, its that simple.

^this^

Young, bright, and forward thinking.

A lot different things going on around here compared to the Ralph Wilson days.

I'm excited about the future of this organization.

Love it! Keep draining the swamp Pegs!

miami has done well with bringing in vets, like we do. but their drafting hasnt' been stellar. reminds me of what whaley did here.

Objectively speaking, Miami's drafts have over the last 4 years have been the most productive in the NFL as per the link below. Their drafts productivity is 4th in the NFL, just behind Hawks, Rams and Vikings. This tells me Beane's been doing analysis similar to what I've done here. While yes Dolphins do not have the reputation as yet, the work they've done has been showing up. This is a team on the rise.

And I like this hire because this guy will strengthen Beane's weakness in scouting as some have discussed.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/193447-nfl-draft-performance-analysis-for-2012-2016/?hl=draft+ranking&do=findComment&comment=4340926

Edited by CanadianFan

Schoen wasn't the entire Miami scouting department.

The scouting department is a team of its own. Saying you don't like the Miami scouting department is like saying you don't like the New Orleans Saints. Therefore we shouldn't sign any players from the Saints? Personally, I'd sign Brees in a heartbeat if he wanted to come to Buffalo.

Like any team, the Miami scouting department has more-talented guys and less-talented guys. Apparently, Beane has identified Schoen as one of the more talented guys. Unless you have good insider information, I don't know why you'd want to second-guess him.

Except that we're Bills fans and second-guess everything.

I have to check you here Hondo, as i respect your posts.

Virgil only said what he perceived was going on in Miami.

I feel the same way over the last 4-5 years with them. Maybe last two years they have turned it around a bit . I think they have, starting with HC.

But i do think you missed Virgil's honest opinion here

So Beane's area of least experience, scouting, he hired an assistant GM who's strength is scouting, and they share a vision of team building. I like that a lot.

Hmmm...

seems counterintuitive almost.

:devil:

Did you actually watch the games?

shall we call you John now?

terrible retort

Young, bright, and forward thinking.

A lot different things going on around here compared to the Ralph Wilson days.

I'm excited about the future of this organization.

welcome Brandon !

He wasn't with Miami for that long. He spent most of his career in Carolina.

They'll have a good portion of the scouting department filled out within a week or two. I'm sure they already have a list of names they're calling and they're probably getting a truckload of emails/calls/resumes from other scouts looking for a spot.

Yes. Miami beat them twice and went to the playoffs

That happened because we handed them two games, mostly thanks to the defense. Otherwise, Miami was nothing special. Remember how people said the Bills didn't beat any teams with winning records last year? Dolphins were just as bad in that regard.

I'm not impressed with this hire, but then again, i'm not impressed with the Beane hire either.

When will we ever learn.

Aye Carumba

Just curious who would you have hired?

That happened because we handed them two games, mostly thanks to the defense. Otherwise, Miami was nothing special. Remember how people said the Bills didn't beat any teams with winning records last year? Dolphins were just as bad in that regard.

Just curious who would you have hired?

Miami made the playoffs and didn't "hand" games to us, though.

@Kaenon, yep no matter what the Bills do,there are going to be fans that complain.

Yep, and they'll tell you they have every right to because of 17 years and blah blah blah...very few have the ability to evaluate decisions in context and see more than one side.

I'm not impressed with this hire, but then again, i'm not impressed with the Beane hire either.

When will we ever learn.

Aye Carumba

Tell us what you know about this guy and why you're not impressed. Never heard of him until recently so I don't know his background

....a long, LONG time coming, since the Polian era....Donohoe was obsessed with being named PRESIDENT to fuel his total control ego and then hired cheap subordinating HC's who caved at his demand...set this club back a decade....Marv and Buddy were football people, but respectfully beyond their prime.....Brandon was put in positions not qualified for...and we recycled coaches who were stale dated....hence, the "Patchwork Era of Futility"....sure not one down has been played yet, but the "Young Guns-Young Minds-Coaching Staff" sure as hell brings some optimism to OBD FINALLY getting it right after BP...stay tuned................

It's not about young or old.

It's not about humble or egotistic.

It's not about whether a coach is brand-new or recycled.

You will see versions of all different approaches successful throughout the NFL.

If the Bills are going to be successful, then the Sean McDermott/Brandon Beane collaboration will simply need to be smarter and better than the other NFL front offices. They will have to make brilliant decisions about roster building, drafting, extending contracts, etc. The talent will need to be properly used on the field, in ways that we can win the vast majority of our games. It sounds like common sense, but I think fans get too caught up in style instead of substance.

I honestly feel like, we have been so beaten down for so long that we don't think we deserve success.

Literally, every hire and move we make over the years is scrutinized by a small section of the fan base regardless.

Its to a point where you draw a line, are you a fan or just an eternal pessimist?

Are you a fan or are you going to just troll around cause the bills didn't hire, draft, sign, cut, trade, etc... who you wanted?

The best part is, no one really knows how an of these guys Will work out in their roles with Buffalo. They have already written them off.

I honestly feel like, we have been so beaten down for so long that we don't think we deserve success.

Literally, every hire and move we make over the years is scrutinized by a small section of the fan base regardless.

Its to a point where you draw a line, are you a fan or just an eternal pessimist?

Are you a fan or are you going to just troll around cause the bills didn't hire, draft, sign, cut, trade, etc... who you wanted?

The best part is, no one really knows how an of these guys Will work out in their roles with Buffalo. They have already written them off.

Who cares? All they have to do is win and optimists and pessimists alike will be happy.

Who cares? All they have to do is win and optimists and pessimists alike will be happy.

Not even then will everyone be satitisfied.

And to answer your question, apparently I care cause I wrote the post. Unless you we being rhetorical of course.

@salsports

HC Sean McDermott - 43

GM Brandon Beane - 40

Ast. GM Joe Schoen - 37

These aren't your dad's Bills anymore. Or Ralph's.

A bunch of youngsters for sure!

This could be very good. Marv and Buddy were clearly stopgaps at their ages. And probably didn't have the fire of a young guy out to make a name for himself.

If Sean and Brandon turn out to be good at their new jobs, we could retain them for a number of years and create something of a dynasty.

It's a big if. But football insiders seem to think highly of all three including Schoen.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Not even then will everyone be satitisfied.

And to answer your question, apparently I care cause I wrote the post. Unless you we being rhetorical of course.

How will we know if "not everyone" will be satisfied? If the Bills found a franchise QB and won a Super Bowl, what posters would not be satisfied, at least for a moment.

You're welcome to care, I suppose. I find this place is a lot more fun when I care more about what the Bills are doing rather than how a handful of posters will react to it.

3 playoff appearances, one as recently as last year, during the Bills drought...but, sure.

The difference between the Bills and Dolphins last year was coaching. Our offense was better, their defense was better. We would have made the playoffs simply by not allowing 200 rushing yards to Miami in each game. Hopefully Rex getting fired is addition by subtraction.