Should the Bills trade Tyrod?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new regime made a choice at the beginning of the off-season to restructure Tyrod which means that even if Tyrod wasn't a QB they brought in he is a guy they made an affirmative choice on early in the off-season. They aren't trading him this late in the game nor should they. The Bills do not have a better option at starting QB and you could do a lot worse than Tyrod at QB.

The short version:

I absolutely think that if McDermott/Dennison like what they see in Peterman, that Tyrod will be the subject of trade talks at some point during the season. I don't even think Peterman has to be great. He just has to show enough.

A bit reminiscent of the RGIII - Cousins situation in Washington, but not as messy.

How many here would complain, going into the 2018 draft with 3 1st round picks?

You would be surprised.

I have to believe that Taylor is one of the most under appreciated quarterbacks in Bills history. We just signed him to a below market deal and we have no other viable starting quarterbacks ready to play in 2017.

Tyrod has played well in a system that has not emphasized the passing game. A system that worked for Kaepernick and the 49ers with their ground and pound offense. Let's see what Taylor can do in a more quarterback friendly offense (with some healthy passing weapons) before we go shipping him off to another team.

maybe after pre-season one of our backups doesn't look too terrible and a starter on another team gets hurt and offers us a 1st rounder for Tyrod. similar to what happend with Bradford and Minnesota. that would be amazing!

Agreed

Nah. I'm not the biggest fan of TT's game. But I want to see him in the new offense first before moving on.

I think it's easy to think he can be an Alex smith kind of player for this team consistently. I don't think he ever steps up to top 5 to maybe 10 qb. The range you need to be in for the qb to be the reason you are a contender. At that point it's a matter of deciding what you are comfortable with as an organization - consistently a contender for a playoff spot but little else, or throwing the dice and risking a bunch of jobs on a guy that could be much better or much worse

I have to believe that Taylor is one of the most under appreciated quarterbacks in Bills history. We just signed him to a below market deal and we have no other viable starting quarterbacks ready to play in 2017.

Nah it is a deal pretty much in line with other "bridge" QB deals like the one Sam Bradford signed in Philly (that was traded to Minnesota) and the one Glennon just signed in Chicago. What is clear is the Bills don't see Tyrod as any more than a bridge and the open market obviously didn't want to offer him true established starter money because if he and his agent believed that it would then no way he renegotiates here.

I agree it is a no brainer to keep him given that he did renegotiate (I thought it was a 50/50 call on the old deal) and he gives us the best chance to win in 2017. I just think the under market value doesn't stack up. If the Bills viewed him as the long term answer they'd have kept him on the old deal or just backloaded the same money... instead they cut his money and knocked 2 years off the contract.

I think it's easy to think he can be an Alex smith kind of player for this team consistently. I don't think he ever steps up to top 5 to maybe 10 qb. The range you need to be in for the qb to be the reason you are a contender. At that point it's a matter of deciding what you are comfortable with as an organization - consistently a contender for a playoff spot but little else, or throwing the dice and risking a bunch of jobs on a guy that could be much better or much worse

That is why I think the ideal is take a shot while you still have a Tyrod or an Alex Smith..... so long as they are on manageable deals that doesn't kill your cap long term if you do get a guy you like and think is ready and so decide to move on.

Why did the re-sign him then? He has a winning record as a starter. If you are trying to tank just let him walk and play Peterman/Cardale.

My point exactly... They are paying TT 15 million for no reason? If they wanted to "tank" they should have named Cardale the starter and used that 5th rd pick on a player other than a QB with a reputed weak arm as well...

Tanking is for losers

What is finishing 7-9 every year if not losing/losers?

The short version:

I absolutely think that if McDermott/Dennison like what they see in Peterman, that Tyrod will be the subject of trade talks at some point during the season. I don't even think Peterman has to be great. He just has to show enough.

A bit reminiscent of the RGIII - Cousins situation in Washington, but not as messy.

How many here would complain, going into the 2018 draft with 3 1st round picks?

So McDermott, who reportedly clashed with Whaley over dumping Taylor because he wanted to win now, will trade him away and start a rookie? But I will say if someone dangled a 1st round pick for Tyrod, I'd be tempted.

So McDermott, who reportedly clashed with Whaley over dumping Taylor because he wanted to win now, will trade him away and start a rookie? But I will say if someone dangled a 1st round pick for Tyrod, I'd be tempted.

I'd do that in a heartbeat. It won't happen, but it'd be a great opportunity for a turnaround in B-lo. We could do what Cleveland did with RG3. Bring him in to pretend we are trying to compete, but tank hard. Then take a top QB prospect with our pick and still have two more 1st round picks to build up the roster. 2017 would suck, but we'd be on our way up as Brady and Belichick head to retirement. There'd be a lot of fun years in the horizon if they executed.

Trading Tyrod would be hinged on 2 things. IF Peterman shows that he can effectively run Dennison's offense and IF there is a team that is willing to part with a 1st rounder for Tyrod, then yes to your original question.

I like Tyrod and fully expect him to lead this team all season, but the trade possibility, I think, is real.

Trading Tyrod would be hinged on 2 things. IF Peterman shows that he can effectively run Dennison's offense and IF there is a team that is willing to part with a 1st rounder for Tyrod, then yes to your original question.

I like Tyrod and fully expect him to lead this team all season, but the trade possibility, I think, is real.

I don't disagree with this at all. IF (big if) the Bills are considering trading him an offseason injury will probably come into play. Arizona always jumps out at me. Bradford got a 1st and 4th (I think) in a similar situation. It will have to be a team that is pretty good with a QB nearing the end. The Chargers, Saints, Giants and Steelers are probably the other possibilities (but longshots).

I don't disagree with this at all. IF (big if) the Bills are considering trading him an offseason injury will probably come into play. Arizona always jumps out at me. Bradford got a 1st and 4th (I think) in a similar situation. It will have to be a team that is pretty good with a QB nearing the end. The Chargers, Saints, Giants and Steelers are probably the other possibilities (but longshots).

It was a 4th that became a 3rd if he started in the NFC Championship and became a 2nd if he won the super bowl. :lol:

With the QB crop coming up in the next draft, the Bills will have to have a very bad w/l record next year to get a chance at one of them. Two picks in the 20's isn't going to work. I'd definitely be up for trading Tyrod for a 1st round pick.

if things worked out this way, i could get on board with a trade as well.

My point exactly... They are paying TT 15 million for no reason? If they wanted to "tank" they should have named Cardale the starter and used that 5th rd pick on a player other than a QB with a reputed weak arm as well...

What is finishing 7-9 every year if not losing/losers?

middle of the pack