Tyrod will not be handed starting Job

MAJBobby

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's good to emphasize to players that they need to put in the work to justify their contracts. But Tyrod is probably the hardest worker on the team, the most talented QB, and has experience with Dennisons offense and QB room. I think they want Peterman to succeed, and the best way to do that is to park him on the bench.

They could have just let him walk and instead they are paying him $15.5M. That's really not that insulting.

True and I hope he proves me wrong in all honesty. I will continue to root for him and the team this upcoming year.

I have my doubts is all.

Peterman will be given every chance, he is McDermotts draft pick.

Beyond that, they've essentially said that TT isn't the Bills' QB of the future. So it's Peterman or Cardale, or maybe even Woodrum. They will get every chance to start. And if TT wins again, they'll draft a QB in the 1st next year.

I'm sure someone has pointed this out already but McDermott said that everyone is competing for every spot. It is the ultimate in coach speak but so what? Is he supposed to say something different? Ask him if Cordy, Sammy, Shady, or anyone else is guaranteed a starting spot and he will give the exact same answer.

Beyond that, they've essentially said that TT isn't the Bills' QB of the future. So it's Peterman or Cardale, or maybe even Woodrum. They will get every chance to start. And if TT wins again, they'll draft a QB in the 1st next year.

Restructuring his contract and drafting a QB in the fifth round doesn't mean they think Tyrod isn't the future. It just says, "We're still not sure about him, so we're keeping our options open."

By paying him less $$$ haha, such commitment

i think having a $9m hit to cut him next year means hes here for 2 years. that is a commitment to the guy even if they reduced his pay some.

commitment and rate of pay are related -- but certainly not synonymous

Restructuring his contract and drafting a QB in the fifth round doesn't mean they think Tyrod isn't the future. It just says, "We're still not sure about him, so we're keeping our options open."

the qb in the fifth means almost nothing to what they think of him

the restructure does imply that they want to keep options open -- but its also good for them to press and get the guy at the lowest cost available even if they like him.

they have essentially said TT is the starter this year and we will see what happens. they havent bailed on him yet. and this is coming from a guy that doesnt love TT.

It wasn't just a restructuring: it was a pay cut. That more than the 5th round pick tells me they don't think he's the QB of the future. And I think that most people agree that they'll be drafting a QB in the 1st next year.

they have essentially said TT is the starter this year and we will see what happens. they havent bailed on him yet. and this is coming from a guy that doesnt love TT.

McD said that they'll have an open competition. I think TT will win it, but it doesn't mean he'll be handed the job.

It wasn't just a restructuring: it was a pay cut. That more than the 5th round pick tells me they don't think he's the QB of the future. And I think that most people agree that they'll be drafting a QB in the 1st next year.

McD said that they'll have an open competition. I think TT will win it, but it doesn't mean he'll be handed the job.

Fair enough - it was a pay cut. But they could have cut him altogether, which would have been the smart thing to do if they were certain that he's not the future. It's probably somewhere in the middle: "Tyrod, we're setting the scene to draft a QB in the first round next year. Give us a reason not to."

I'm sure someone has pointed this out already but McDermott said that everyone is competing for every spot. It is the ultimate in coach speak but so what? Is he supposed to say something different? Ask him if Cordy, Sammy, Shady, or anyone else is guaranteed a starting spot and he will give the exact same answer.

Yes, he could have said TT was the starter unless someone else stood out to be better.

A number of teams that drafted rookies in the early rounds have already stated that their rookies would sit (starting the season)

Chucky Gruden said Peterman was the best suited rookie QB to be able to start if it came down to it.

I don't see that at all. McD seems like a very straight shooter and details, disciplined guy. The everyone competes guy. He's going to go into this exactly as most every new coach would. Everyone has a clean slate. He's going to give TT first shot and TT is going to blow all of those guys away playing with the first team, except for Yates, who will show exactly what he always shows. It's not even going to be close.

Once the season starts, it's all up to Taylor. If he plays lights out or very good he stays. If he plays just pretty good (like last year) or average they will draft a guy #1 next year.

Oh, come on. They brought in no meaningful competition and still have him on a substantial contract even if a step down from full price.

How open do we really think this is? If he totally falls apart and suddenly someone looks like Brady/brees - sure. But that's the case for everyone. Let's be real: they could declare him the starter today and it changes nothing about the situation

...EXACTLY the way it should be............

and exactly how coaches have done in the past...

Chan started Ryan Fitzpatrick over Losman/Edwards

Doug started Orton over Manuel

Rex Ryan started Tyrod over Manuel

and Sean will start whoever comes out through TC. THe only difference will be that it is Tyrod's job to lose in TC as opposed to three seasons ago when all three were equally in it.

and exactly how coaches have done in the past...

Chan started Ryan Fitzpatrick over Losman/Edwards

Doug started Orton over Manuel

Rex Ryan started Tyrod over Manuel

and Sean will start whoever comes out through TC. THe only difference will be that it is Tyrod's job to lose in TC as opposed to three seasons ago when all three were equally in it.

Actually Chan started Edwards over Fitzy. Let Edwards play like two or three games, saw he was horrible and then just cut him.

I don't see that at all. McD seems like a very straight shooter and details, disciplined guy. The everyone competes guy. He's going to go into this exactly as most every new coach would. Everyone has a clean slate. He's going to give TT first shot and TT is going to blow all of those guys away playing with the first team, except for Yates, who will show exactly what he always shows. It's not even going to be close.

Once the season starts, it's all up to Taylor. If he plays lights out or very good he stays. If he plays just pretty good (like last year) or average they will draft a guy #1 next year.

You think he played pretty good last year?

You think he played pretty good last year?

Tyrod? Under the circumstances, yes. He didn't have Watkins for 3/4 of the year. Some games he was throwing to Arena League players. The defense put him in terrible situations, so yeah, I think he was "pretty good."

I agree and that's what I've been saying. But I think drafting a guy in the 1st next year using their 2-1st rounders is a foregone conclusion.

Oh, come on. They brought in no meaningful competition and still have him on a substantial contract even if a step down from full price.

How open do we really think this is? If he totally falls apart and suddenly someone looks like Brady/brees - sure. But that's the case for everyone. Let's be real: they could declare him the starter today and it changes nothing about the situation

The same could have been said about TT when the Bills brought him in in 2015. But the fact remains that they have a rookie they drafted and a 2nd year guy the team has been developing (I won't bother mentioning Yates). I expect them all to get a chance to prove themselves, as it should be. If TT emerges victorious, so be it.

Tyrod? Under the circumstances, yes. He didn't have Watkins for 3/4 of the year. Some games he was throwing to Arena League players. The defense put him in terrible situations, so yeah, I think he was "pretty good."

Are we really back to blaming the defense for Taylor's shortcomings?

Are we really back to blaming the defense for Taylor's shortcomings?

Take Tyrod out of it, it's inarguable that the play of a team's defense has an enormous affect on the play of its offense. Bad defense puts offenses in consistently bad positions. Long fields. Less series. Having to play from behind. Loss of momentum. Good defense gives offenses shorter fields, sometimes drives they only need to go 10-20 yards, more plays, more series, more play options, greater momentum. There is no case against that. And there is no case that the Bills did not have a terrible defense.

Yes, he could have said TT was the starter unless someone else stood out to be better.

A number of teams that drafted rookies in the early rounds have already stated that their rookies would sit (starting the season)Chucky Gruden said Peterman was the best suited rookie QB to be able to start if it came down to it.

In his presser he basically said we have no starters at any position.

as emenem says you get one opportunity and in this case, it is to tank a season. Anthony Lynn worked the offense around TT. Even Lynn said he has trouble making the anticipatory throws over the middle. Dennison is going to try to make him Alex Smith. Andy Reid has given up on Alex Smith, drafted Mahomes. TT may look worse in this offense. Probably the best player for this system is an anticipatory thrower like Peterman. He reminds me of Cody Kessler for Cleveland. And Cleveland is not sold on Kessler, they just drafted another QB. If Anthony Lynn was our coordinator then you could probably guess our offense would have similar production as last year. Dont assume our offense will be as good. This reminds of when we got rid of Shwartz. Our defense tanked. If TT is not a fit for this offense then he will have to be traded because the team will be divided in its loyalties. Finding a QB is like winning the lottery.With our lluck the Bills will draft first next year and draft the next Goff.

Same old tired useless excuse.

Didn't matter one bit who suited up and lined up at WR for the Bills as they were open a lot.

So even though they were open but because they were "arena league players" is the reason Tyrod didn't throw them the ball. Whatever, lame excuse!

Didn't matter one bit who suited up and lined up at WR for the Bills as they were open a lot.

So even though they were open but because they were "arena league players" is the reason Tyrod didn't throw them the ball. Whatever, lame excuse!

except for the fact that its not a excuse

when starters were on the field performance went up

Yeah, the worst passer in the league really has this on lock.

worst passer in the league.....based on passing yards?

If you don't notice the seismic difference when Watkins is even 80% healthy and playing, and the times when Walt Powell or Goodwin is your top receiver, I have no interest in discussing football with you.

http://nysportsbiz.com/2016/12/07/tyrod-taylors-numbers-withwithout-sammy-watkins-and-robert-woods-are-alarming/

Sammy, when healthy, changes what happens all over the field. Here's to hoping he can stay healthy! (And get past that curious lack a YAC recently, which I suppose goes back to the health?)

If you don't notice the seismic difference when Watkins is even 80% healthy and playing, and the times when Walt Powell or Goodwin is your top receiver, I have no interest in discussing football with you.

http://nysportsbiz.com/2016/12/07/tyrod-taylors-numbers-withwithout-sammy-watkins-and-robert-woods-are-alarming/

It's been obvious since the "basketball on grass" start to 2015 that Tyrod can really take advantage of weapons.

What I saw last year........in the absence of quality, match-up winning targets for much of the season........was a guy who will just do whatever it takes to keep games under control.

So yeah.......he could have thrown some more passes to bad WR that were open and took more chances in the middle of the field.......and when those guys dropped those passes or the ball was turned over because of their lack of skill and that ONE turnover cost them the football game.......he would have had some obvious statistical and video support that he was doing HIS job.

Instead he took less risky options and kept the Bills in a ton of games where there was no room for turnovers. To the tune of leading them to what could have been the lowest turnover season in the Super Bowl era, AND still quarterbacking a high scoring offense.

He's got his issues and it's unlikely he becomes a franchise QB.......but he's a gamer who does what's BEST for the TEAM.

except for the fact that its not a excuse

when starters were on the field performance went up

worst passer in the league.....based on passing yards?

Based on watching teams dare him to throw on them and he couldn't. Doesn't scan the whole field and absolutely does not keep a defense honest. Frequently leaving guys wide open.

Based on two seperate OCs having to game plan around Tyrod's deficiencies and hide the fact the guy just isn't a quality thrower. Wasn't one in college, wasn't one in Baltimore and sure hasn't proven to be one here.

I sure as heck hope Dennison can get more out of him. I doubt it, but crazier thing have happened.

As far as his passing yards, yeah it's kind of funny how low they really are. I don't use it to base my argument, just get a chuckle out of it.

Edited by BillsFan17

It's been obvious since the "basketball on grass" start to 2015 that Tyrod can really take advantage of weapons.

What I saw last year........in the absence of quality, match-up winning targets for much of the season........was a guy who will just do whatever it takes to keep games under control.

So yeah.......he could have thrown some more passes to bad WR that were open and took more chances in the middle of the field.......and when those guys dropped those passes or the ball was turned over because of their lack of skill and that ONE turnover cost them the football game.......he would have had some obvious statistical and video support that he was doing HIS job.

Instead he took less risky options and kept the Bills in a ton of games where there was no room for turnovers. To the tune of leading them to what could have been the lowest turnover season in the Super Bowl era, AND still quarterbacking a high scoring offense.

He's got his issues and it's unlikely he becomes a franchise QB.......but he's a gamer who does what's BEST for the TEAM.

Very well said, Grumpy. ;)

This is an excellent write-up on Doug Flutie.

This is an excellent write-up on Doug Flutie.

They share a few traits, but less than people might want to think.

Specific to this instance.......Flutie would put the ball in harms way to be the hero..........like when he personally turned the ball over 5 times in the 1998 wildcard game in Miami.

Doesn't change the fact that whoever suited up for the Bills at WR was still open and open often.

Just because it wasn't Sammy out there isn't an excuse to not throw the ball to the open WR.

Lame excuses but keep trying!

In his presser he basically said we have no starters at any position.

I guess the interpretation comes from what you have personally seen or read.

I only saw what he said WRT to the QB's.

Its Taylor's job to lose. Will it be 8 games? 10 games? or a full season. Time will tell.

Doesn't change the fact that whoever suited up for the Bills at WR was still open and open often.

Just because it wasn't Sammy out there isn't an excuse to not throw the ball to the open WR.

EXACTLY.

Not having Sammy on the field didn't help, but neither did having Sammy on the field and ignoring him.

The defense sucked for both RR years. TT was better in season 1 than season 2 in some aspects, but he never took that big step that was needed to overcome a crappy defense.

There are plenty of teams with meh to poor defenses who have QB's that are that guy. TT has yet to prove he's that guy IMO.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Did you actually click the link? His stats are much better when Sammy and Woods are on the field. This would seem to indicate that Tyrod is better at hitting receivers when better receivers are on the field. How do you account for this difference if he simply isn't willing to throw to any open receivers?

Did you actually click the link? His stats are much better when Sammy and Woods are on the field. This would seem to indicate that Tyrod is better at hitting receivers when better receivers are on the field. How do you account for this difference if he simply isn't willing to throw to any open receivers?

Remind me who was the scrub the Bills let go, that guy TT never threw too? I think he broke some kind of playoff record for his new team.

The shtick that TT needs "guys" is a load of ****.

I'm tired of making excuses for why our QB should be great.

Remind me who was the scrub the Bills let go, that guy TT never threw too? I think he broke some kind of playoff record for his new team.

TT and Hogan had a nice connection so not sure where you get that he never threw the ball to him.

Hogan is a good vertical threat and Tyrod is an excellent deep thrower.......but when Sammy was healthy he was getting those throws, not Hogan.

hogan has a whopping 2 more catches in 16 than he did in 15 with taylor throwing it to him..... this is a really really stupid argument....

i love how you guys are literally ignoring that his hard facts point towards his numbers being better when he had his starters on the field...... again.... "did you even click on the link?"

probably not. a couple of you will just spew trash onto your keyboards about how you swear you saw wr's open!!!! and thats all that counts! not cold hard stats and numbers! not the injuries!.... b b but i saw backups open!!!!....... get a clue.

TT and Hogan had a nice connection so not sure where you get that he never threw the ball to him.

Hogan is a good vertical threat and Tyrod is an excellent deep thrower.......but when Sammy was healthy he was getting those throws, not Hogan.

its a grasp at straws and just a really dumb point he's trying to make.

of course they didnt. it would make them have to rethink their stance. they dont want to let a little thing like hard facts get in the way!

THEY SAW BACKUPS OPEN! thats all that matters.

When you throw the ball to bad receivers.........and guys like Powell and Tate are BAD receivers.......you are putting the ball in the hands of players who are likely to make mistakes........drops, batted up balls, fumbles.

The work by Cian Fahey supports my opinion on the matter.

The "Tyrod sucks" camp can think what they want........because they will be watching Tyrod again this season.