• C
    • D
    • F

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it easy or hard being this negative?

You are really off on some of your projections ...I hope.

Steve Tasker, Mark Kelso, Shane Conlan, Don Beebe, etc etc etc

I mentioned the 4 HOF'ers and the former All Pro/NFL DPOY Bennett.......and you mention Kelso and Beebe? :lol: You forgot Mark Pike and Adam Lingner!

I follow the entire process from the CFB season to the draft. I have seen many, many games of most of these picks. Milano and Villejo are the exceptions.

Any guess as to why you think the Bills ignored what you learned about these players?

It's a B on talent level. B + because of the late first rounder in 2018. We got good quality players, AND in positions of need. A couple of day 1 starters. Just falls short of A as there are no obvious future ROY or pro-bowlers in these picks. Well done Whaley and scouts!

C+ from me.

Positives

- 2018 1st round pick

- Tre'Davious White, Zay Jones and Dion Dawkins are all fine football players.

- Milano looks (after a rush to find some film) like the kind of fast but undersized will linebacker making hay in cover 3 defenses in the NFL.

- None of the trade ups gave up 2018 assets

Negatives

- Thought especially on Jones (who was my 4th WR and I like a lot) that the value of the trade up wasn't there. I had 3 or 4 receivers close together around that spot. From McD's comments the Bills obviously didn't but I still feel like they gave up too much for the talent gap between Jones and the next guy.

- As much as I like the extra 1st I think Marshon Lattimore is going to be a perennial all pro corner. Passing on him at 10 was hard.

- Linked to that - like Badol said I don't see a game changer among the first 3 picks though all three should have very solid and long NFL careers.

- I don't like Peterman as anything more than a career back up.

- There were a couple of guys on my board who slid that I'd have liked us to take before our 6th rounder. Elijah Lee being the main one. He is going to be very good NFL player.

im here to give my opinion on the draft, it's cool that you don't have anything to contribute and would rather do what you're doing.

I'm glad you're cool with that. Not that it matters. Sometimes I respond to other comment instead of initiating the converstion- you know, a back and forth kinda thing. It happens on threads.

i'll give my opinion of the draft after they actually play some games.

I just think it's ridiculous and reporters and fans hand out grades before the players even suit up to practice. It's like a teacher grading your exam right after she hands it to you. Nothing personal towards you, but your evaluations were more amusing than others.

We haven't made the Playoffs in 17 years.

Really?

A's to F's. wow just wow

Too funny.

....seriously?....would you expect anything LESS, in this fertile mecca of budding GM's??..hell, even the Russian judge gave 'em a D..........38 trades, most ever in an NFL draft and it's the damn Bills fault.........oh well,,,,,,,,,,

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

I'm glad you're cool with that. Not that it matters. Sometimes I respond to other comment instead of initiating the converstion- you know, a back and forth kinda thing. It happens on threads.

i'll give my opinion of the draft after they actually play some games.

I just think it's ridiculous and reporters and fans hand out grades before the players even suit up to practice. It's like a teacher grading your exam right after she hands it to you. Nothing personal towards you, but your evaluations were more amusing than others.

Really?

No one knows how these peeps careers will go. There is a whole industry that has come up around projecting prospects coming out of the draft. It's nonsensical but it's fun, I highly recommend it. What I like is stating my opinion and then discussing with others where I could be wrong or right. So that's what I did in my OP.

AFC East-BUFFALO BILLS

Best move: Trading down from No. 10 to No. 27 yielded the Bills a third-round pick (No. 91) and, more importantly, a 2018 first-round pick from the Kansas City Chiefs. How the Bills use that extra first-rounder next April will define the success of that trade. If they can package that pick with their original 2018 selection and move up the board for a top quarterback -- USC's Sam Darnold and UCLA's Josh Rosen are projected as top picks -- then it could be a franchise-altering move. Riskiest move: Instead of keeping the No. 75 pick in the third round, the Bills packaged it with two fifth-round picks to move up to No. 63 to select offensive lineman Dion Dawkins in the second round. That three-for-one swap was a lot to give up for a team that needed as much young talent as it could get from a deep draft. Dawkins might become the Bills' starting right tackle, but Buffalo has depth needs across its roster those extra picks could have helped fill. -- Mike Rodak

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

How many day 3 picks ever become stars? How many become long time starters? Don't mind packaging a couple to move up to get two guys we really liked that feel a need. That's the time to trade up. We gave up no major assets in the trade ups. Get the best talent you can. a few flyers in the late rounds, add some vets in free agency. Good way to build a roster. Love the 2018 pick. White isn't a sexy pick but he'll be a good player. Peterman in the 5th is good for me. A better backup than Jones already and more likely to succeed in the NFL. I'm giving them an A.

Edited by Big C

Marv went to 4 SB's because of the poor character players........Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Cornelius Bennett, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed that became better men over time.

FALSE. -Andre Reed is a d__k to me EVERY time I approach him for an autograph!... LOVE the guy anyway! :lol:

Jim and Family have always been amazing to me... -He really did improve over time.

This is no better than a C draft.

We replaced what we lost in FA with rookies.

Zach Brown or Matt Milano, Robert Woods or Zay Jones, Gilmore or White?

We did not get any better and you have to question if the trade ups were even necessary. They seemed like panic moves.

I suppose the Bills would have been better if they just left the holes? Every team loses players, you replace them, either by draft or free agency. Not sure what world you live in?

I am gonna lay back on this one and not criticize anyone for their opinion on this.....I actually find it interesting to see the reasoning behind those who dont like the trades.....which ranges anywhere from not like drafting strategy to not liking players to not liking that they didnt get THEIR player.

My player in this draft was OJ Howard......I sulked for about 30 seconds when we traded from 10 all the way to 27 because I knew we were not gonna get him......then ended up with the top rated cover corner in the draft and found out that our pick at 10 would have been a high profile but bad hammied corner anyway......when that happened I moved on.

Our next pick I was totally thrilled with because I am a zay jones fan.....the guy is really talented.....this is a guy that will put up huge numbers opposite Sammy Watkins and can be a guy that will make plays if Sammy is not on the field. we had to move up to get him because teams like carolina would have taken him before we got to that pick....were there other WR's on the board yes but they were NOT ZAY JONES....a potentially game changing player.

I new nothing about Dawkins before we selected him.....research after we selected him had him flying up the draft boards and he seems to fit OUR ZONE BLOCKING TEAM....if he puts Mills on the bench it was a good pick....people need to understand that part fo the reason why tt bails out of the pocket is because MILLS GETS BEAT OFF THE SNAP in pass protection

That right there is 3 players that will probably start for this team right off the bat......

I dont know anything about these linebacker's other then their height/weight/style of play bios.....people need to understand that we needed linebackers that can move chase and tackle on the field with speed.....we dont have that and we selected two....we doubled down on the same type of LB trying to find one that can fit the bill

We only had so many picks in this draft.....the 1st round pick next year was huge

To me its easily a B

On paper I like the talent, though I'm a bit salty about being forced to use a first rounder on CB after letting Gilmore go. Can't do much about our cap situation though at this point.

Yeah, me too. I believe we ended up with enough cap to franchise Gilmore. Why we didn't (let alone re-sign him) if we were just going to use a 1st on a guy that has pretty much no chance at being as good.

Otherwise we got solid value to fill needs with our 1st three picks, but could have added alot more depth without the trade ups. 2 1st next year is great. Hopefully Whaley will be gone by then and McD and his guys will have full control to make the right calls

I'm at like a B I think. They did exactly what I wanted them to do in acquiring a day 2 pick and a 2018 1st. That was a great start. Tre White can play. He starts day 1 and plays a longtime in the league. It's a safe pick. Zay Jones is a stud, Dawkins sounds promising but that was an expensive move up. Hopefully one of the LBs can play. Peterman does nothing for me. It could have been an A for me if they would have added another safety. The DBs are thin IMO.

I'm at like a B I think. They did exactly what I wanted them to do in acquiring a day 2 pick and a 2018 1st. That was a great start. Tre White can play. He starts day 1 and plays a longtime in the league. It's a safe pick. Zay Jones is a stud, Dawkins sounds promising but that was an expensive move up. Hopefully one of the LBs can play. Peterman does nothing for me. It could have been an A for me if they would have added another safety. The DBs are thin IMO.

Safety would have been nice, but we are all kind of wondering if Milano may be that hybrid LB/S guy for us too. And I can't say I'm disappointed with the guys they pick in round 2 instead of a possible impact safety. I really don't know what to expect with the DBs yet, but I do see plenty of vets still out there. Wouldn't be surprised if we brought one in now that the draft is over.

The real problem is that after the personnel massacre of this offseason........and considering that they had picks in the top 1/3 of each of their rounds........they needed and should have produced an A draft.

Wasn't really good enough.

Had the feel of the Jauron era drafts where they were pillaged in the offseason and then just drafted for need.

The real problem is that after the personnel massacre of this offseason........and considering that they had picks in the top 1/3 of each of their rounds........they needed and should have produced an A draft.

Wasn't really good enough.

Had the feel of the Jauron era drafts where they were pillaged in the offseason and then just drafted for need.

Yup. I felt like a Billsy draft.

A on principle.

There may not be a single difference-maker drafted this year, but it truly does look like Pegs has woken up and is moving the team in an entirely different direction. Whether it ends up for the better or the worst, it had to be done. Good luck to McD and all of this week's new Bills!

B right on the picks but getting that extra first rounder makes it a borderline A for me. I think they got 3 starters but who knows how good they will be. If Peterman pans out then this could easily turn into one of the better drafts we have had in a long time

3 day one starters is a little bit of an exaggeration when the most NFL ready competition any of those 3 will face is Jordan Mills.

Hey, Philly Brown ain't going to be usurped without a fight!

Holysh*t have they thinned out the roster this offseason. :lol:

They need to go back to the pro free agent table and spend about 5x the money they saved by not re-inking Gillislee. :thumbsup:

Buffalo Bills

Grade: A

The Bills are going to be a tough team — that's what the Bills said with this draft. They didn't get the best player at any position, but you can see a clear identity with all of Buffalo's picks.

Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports

I think if Peterman can become the Bills backup he will have beat the odds and maximized his talent, let alone start.

I don't totally discount the Kirk Cousin's ceiling........but Cousin's is not a franchise direction changer.

What you want is an Aaron Rodgers.......a guy who can keep your middling roster in contention for deep playoff runs every year.

THAT is the goal.........not Andy Dalton or Cousin's or the like.

Chris Burke-Sports Illustrated

Buffalo Bills: A–

The rumor mill headed into draft weekend had Buffalo GM Doug Whaley likely to be fired in the coming days. Whoever ended up calling the shots (coach Sean McDermott ran point, no doubt) made things happen. The Bills traded down from 10 to 27 in Round 1, adding a third-rounder (No. 91) and a 2018 first-round pick. They took talented CB Tre’Davious White at 27, then used No. 91 as part of a trade up for WR Zay Jones. The former is an outstanding coverage corner—not to the level of Marshon Lattimore, who was available at 10, but starter-caliber. Jones essentially replaces Robert Woods, and he could be a good one.

Day 3 picks of note beyond that: G/T Dion Dawkins, who will have a chance to win a job in camp; and QB Nathan Peterman, who slid into Round 5 but could be groomed as a possible Tyrod Taylor replacement down the line.​ McDermott will love LB Matt Milano (No. 163)—he’s a throwback-type linebacker.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Came into the draft with a top 10 pick. Elite talent falls due to run on skill positions. We didn't get one player that is the best at his position.

Nickel CB

#2 WR

Back up guard

ST UDFA LB that may have to be a safety

#3 QB

ST UDFA LB

Pick in the 25-32 range in 2018.

Struck out on all top UDFA.

How anyone can view this as a good draft is beyond me.

Best draft I've witnessed in 20 years.

1- got a 1st rounder 2018

2- a QB that is custom built for our offense that can sit & learn

3- 3 starters in first 3 picks

4- no off field issues from anyone

5- Ragland is basically our 4th rd pick

Sums it up for me.

This draft had vision and purpose. Feels like a new era here with McDermott.

I think if Peterman can become the Bills backup he will have beat the odds and maximized his talent, let alone start.

I'd love to hear what you're basing that on.

Edited by Success

This draft had all the excitement of a wife sending her husband to the grocery store with a list, and instructions.

"Bring back:

1 - CB

1 - WR

1 - OL

2 - LB

1 - QB

and don't buy the most expensive brands. Just get what's on sale"

A lot of the off brands are name brands with a different label.